Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Record Hubs (Flamesuit On!)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campagnolo Record Hubs (Flamesuit On!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 09:03 AM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by K. Legaspi
I ought to change the title of this thread to...

"Custom Wheelset Help for 240 lb-er"

Sorry, if this topic has completely gone off track but I'm definitely going to go with something that is Shimano compatible out of the box. The guys at my LBS and the people I race with have me convinced on the R45s and I'm willing to pay for the R45s if it's as good as they say it is. It will only take me longer to pay for but I don't mind if they're really that good. Is there any reason for me NOT to go with the R45s with the price not in consideration?

Thank you again for all your help to anyone and everyone that contributed in this thread.
The only "real" advantage I can see between something like R45s or Shimano 105's is that the CK hubs are 11 speed compatible. Other than that and the pretty colors you can get, I don't really see any benefits that warrant such a huge price difference between the hubs.

You are in a very specialized forum and are associating with people have very strong opinions about their hobby. But the fact is, all things equal, the R45s will do absolutely nothing different/better than 105 hubs for your situation. It's like people who argue that X wheelset will save 10 watts. Those 10 watts are often quoted under the wrong context (like travelling > 30 MPH over 40K, something which most people in this forum cannot do).
Old 08-02-13, 09:12 AM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
The only "real" advantage I can see between something like R45s or Shimano 105's is that the CK hubs are 11 speed compatible. Other than that and the pretty colors you can get, I don't really see any benefits that warrant such a huge price difference between the hubs.

You are in a very specialized forum and are associating with people have very strong opinions about their hobby. But the fact is, all things equal, the R45s will do absolutely nothing different/better than 105 hubs for your situation. It's like people who argue that X wheelset will save 10 watts. Those 10 watts are often quoted under the wrong context (like travelling > 30 MPH over 40K, something which most people in this forum cannot do).
Oh, I think the R45s for the OP are actually not as good as the 105s or the T11s.

At his size and riding style he's going to cut up the alloy freehub on the R45s. And the geometry of the T11 and the 105s will build a stiffer wheel, which again, given his size, would help.

Why pay more for a wheel that won't be as stiff and will need parts replaced sooner? Because the LBS has them in hand and needs to sell them? It had better be a heck of a deal to pay more for a less-than-optimal solution just because of the CK bling factor.
Old 08-02-13, 09:19 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc

I'm going to again point out the Ultegra 6800 hubs. Less than $200 for a set, 10 and 11 speed compatible, non-gauging freehub body, great reputation for durability, serviceable and if the one spec I saw was correct, not as much of a weight hit of the previous versions.
Old 08-02-13, 09:19 AM
K. Legaspi
Roadie

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guy who is building the wheelset says it will be ~ $850 for:

- Pacenti SL23 Rims + CK R45s + Sapim Laser Spokes + Brass Nipples + Skewers

The T11s are just about the same price, maybe $50 less. And personally, I'm a sucker for the colors. But based on that price, is that deal good enough to justify the CK Hubs? And from what I've seen, I could switch to the stainless steel freewheel hub but I'm not sure that there's a Ti freewheel hub that exists for CK.

Last edited by K. Legaspi; 08-02-13 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-02-13, 09:26 AM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The guy who is building the wheelset says it will be ~ $850 for:

- Pacenti SL23 Rims + CK R45s + Sapim Laser Spokes + Brass Nipples + Skewers

The T11s are just about the same price, maybe $50 less. And personally, I'm a sucker for the colors. But based on that price, is that deal good enough to justify the CK Hubs? And from what I've seen, I could switch to the stainless steel freewheel hub but I'm not sure that there's a Ti freewheel hub that exists for CK.
It's your call. If you're willing to pay a little more now and again in the future if/when you need to replace the freehub body, just so you can get the color hub you want, sure. Go for it. The difference in stiffness between the R45 and the T11 won't be much.
Old 08-02-13, 09:36 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Lasers? For the OP?

I don't think so.

You need Race, my friend.

Old 08-02-13, 09:44 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I'm not worried about aerodynamics in these wheels as racing crits, I feel, don't really require much aero if you're the kind of racer I am. Which is, wait in the middle of the field for the sprint if there's a breakaway, just finish it. Lol (Or just try to keep up. ) It seems that the best option for me is 32+ spokes after reading what you guys have said and what 2 of the guys from my LBS that build wheels here in my town have said. And after reviewing on the spokes, I'd have to take you guys's advice on just going with "regular" spokes instead of the CX Rays. Now to make a decision on the hub...
Why not Novatec F482SB-11? Cheap good 11-speed hub. Can get it from a member here at bdopcycling.com. I haven't ordered from him, but many people here have been happy with it.

Edit: ^^ That guy, in fact.
Old 08-02-13, 10:24 AM
canam73

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Why not Novatec F482SB-11? Cheap good 11-speed hub. Can get it from a member here at bdopcycling.com. I haven't ordered from him, but many people here have been happy with it.

Edit: ^^ That guy, in fact.
I don't think the Novatec comes in the drillings he wants.

But I do agree with Bdop on the Race spokes (or DT Comps).
Old 08-02-13, 10:27 AM
K. Legaspi
Roadie

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Lasers? For the OP?

I don't think so.

You need Race, my friend.
How's Race for the rear wheel and Lasers for the front do?
Old 08-02-13, 10:46 AM
canam73

How's Race for the rear wheel and Lasers for the front do?
It will probably be fine, especially with 32 up front. You could actually do Laser on the NDS rear if you really wanted, but in both cases you are really splitting hairs for a few grams savings.
Old 08-02-13, 11:11 AM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
I'm going to again point out the Ultegra 6800 hubs. Less than $200 for a set, 10 and 11 speed compatible, non-gauging freehub body, great reputation for durability, serviceable and if the one spec I saw was correct, not as much of a weight hit of the previous versions.
This is a great option. I haven't had ultegra hubs since 9sp, but they were fantastic at the time. I'm sure it hasn't changed.

the only way I would consider 105 hubs is if you have a fleet of 10spd bikes. If you think swapping freehubs is a headache, wait till you try and put 11 cogs on a 105 hub.
Old 08-05-13, 08:14 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Saw my name mentioned and am doing my less frequent visit to BF to see what anyone is sharing.

240lbs...not huge but not small. I feel your pain as I now build more than I ride. I personally am sitting at 230. Ugh. Sucks to type that.

I still ride 24/28, but that's out of habit more than anything. I would not recommend 24/28 to someone my size or larger if they were my customer.

At 240 I would in fact recommend 28/32 as a minimum. Race or DT comps. Not Lasers or revs. That's just silly. A handful of weight on what will be a mid-weight set anyway.

Going with a Shimano hub setup is fine. They are really heavy though in comparison to just about everything else on the market. T11's on Pacenti in 28/32 should be under $600. If I had to build a set for myself right now...that is what I would build.