Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 08:03 PM
vaultbrad

Bikes: They have two wheels!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Mine isn't super vintage, but it is reminiscent. Will you all accept it into your club?
Old 06-25-14, 08:10 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
I like it.
Old 06-25-14, 08:18 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by MikesChevelle
its not terrible but it definitely has a bunch of nicks and scratches......... Im not one to worry about resale this time around

I just want something different more than anything

What does powder coating usually run?
Huge variation in pricing. Some see it for $75 in their area, others are $200. Be sure to find someone who knows bikes.

There is one guy around here that quotes low prices, but it doesn't include the fork.
Old 06-25-14, 09:08 PM
neo_pop_71

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
its not terrible but it definitely has a bunch of nicks and scratches......... Im not one to worry about resale this time around

Originally Posted by due ruote
I've only had one bike PC'd and it was $85 for the frame and fork, one color. From what I gather, that's pretty cheap for PC but I was happy with the job so go figure.
Hey MikesChevelle,

My good buddy due ruote is right about your Stumpjumper looking pretty good and I have to agree as yours isn't looking beat at all. Sure there are going to be nicks and scratches but that can be easily covered with an easy trick that I learned from an old car guy. I have one very simply solution as I understand that you'd like something different, I get you there brother as I usually feel the same, but consider going with an aerosol lacquer. I've done this mod for about a dozen customers, mostly those that want to preserve vintage decals that can't be gotten easily. Clean the frame really well, make sure it's dry and then use a Scotch Brite pad to go over the frame and decals, then wipe down with a tack cloth. Since you have a silver base paint, a transparent orange lacquer in the can will go beautifully over that silver base coat and decals. Go with many light, thin coats of lacquer to build up a deep rich color. Most lacquers allow you to recoat within 10 minutes and a "tacky" coat bonds much better than one you've let dry and sanded. Spray the trans lacquer right over the top of the paint, blemishes, and the decals... trust me, it'll be beautiful! The end product is the best of all, the exposed and rusting blemishes have been touched up, the stock decals have been preserved, and you've turned a bland silver paint job into a budget candy apple paint job. You seem like a handy guy, there's nothing to this, you can do this and pull off a gorgeous custom Stumpy plus do it on the cheap! Make you the lacquer you use is transparent lacquer, not standard opaque lacquer, otherwise you'll put a solid color right over the top of everything!

C'mon man, you got this, it's super simple with tasty results!

-D-

p.s. PM me if you have questions, I'm happy to help.
Old 06-25-14, 09:17 PM
neo_pop_71

Originally Posted by due ruote
I've only had one bike PC'd and it was $85 for the frame and fork, one color. From what I gather, that's pretty cheap for PC but I was happy with the job so go figure.
Originally Posted by wrk101
Huge variation in pricing. Some see it for $75 in their area, others are $200. Be sure to find someone who knows bikes.

There is one guy around here that quotes low prices, but it doesn't include the fork.
True the prices vary but you have to know where to look. Local for me is a guy outside of Los Angeles, he makes wrought iron gates and fences, he'll do a frame and fork for $65.00. I had him do my '88 Cimarron LE and it came out great! Call around to wrought iron fence makers as most do powdercoating. My problem is I didn't do proper prep work, by that I mean taping off the fork crown where the headset race goes but I did put a Q-tip in all threaded eyelets. Assume they don't know bike frames, do your prep work, and you'll have a fresh powdered frame for likely half the cost of a standard powdercoater. Oh, if something does get where it's not supposed to, it files right off in seconds, it's not the end of the world!

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 06-25-14 at 09:24 PM. Reason: type-o
Old 06-25-14, 09:59 PM
MikesChevelle

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok a few things. I took a few hours and masked off the decals, even cut around the damage to them to preserve the "worn look" I bought a can of "Hammered Pewter" enamel and clear enamel. So it will have a nice darker silver color and the decals will be preserved.

Next, I tore the bike down tonight at the bike co-op, took the time to go through the forks they had and the only rigid 1 1/8 forks they had were no longer than 15 cm. They had plenty long enough in 1 inch though............do they make a 1 to 1 1/8 adapter? or do I just need to look on eBay and here?

I guess if all else fails I can go threadless.

Also , is it that important to get a suspension corrected fork??
Old 06-26-14, 06:22 AM
blart

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Found a specialized street stomper at good will for 80$. Going to go back and see if it's still there during a half off sale Saturday morning...It fits perfectly and I REALLY want it to be my beater/commuter/tourer/drop-bar conversion!

Old 06-26-14, 07:57 AM
MikesChevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice /\
Old 06-26-14, 10:00 AM
MikesChevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good news - That Dura-Ace set up IS still available---- Never heard back but he emailed me today, going to pick up tonight !!!
Old 06-26-14, 10:12 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vaultbrad
Mine isn't super vintage, but it is reminiscent. Will you all accept it into your club?
Yes. I much prefer a sloping top tube on mountain bikes as my formative years were in the 1990s and I spent a lot of time reading MTB mags from 1993-1995.
Old 06-26-14, 04:15 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
^Nice score on the Streetstomper, @blart l Great color. Rare to find such nice rides at Goodwill.
@MikesChevelle

I didn't see an answer yet on the 1" fork for your bike....not worth the headache. You'll need reducers or a special headset to use the 1" fork. Better off searching for a proper fitting one.
Cool that you still have a shot at the Dura Ace stuff.
PM me with pics of the road crank and BB. Since you can't use it on the Stumpy, I might have a use for it if it isn't too worn.
Old 06-26-14, 04:37 PM
neo_pop_71

Good news - That Dura-Ace set up IS still available---- Never heard back but he emailed me today, going to pick up tonight !!!
Right on man, that is great news! Scoring a Dura Ace 9 speed group for a "C-note" is an awesome deal!

Does the bad news about the threaded rigid fork makes you want the GT charger fork on Ebay I told you about a few days ago?

Black Metallic GT Charger CR MO Mountain Bicycle Fork Bike Parts 756 | eBay

I just bought one so I would have a spare 1 1/8th inch threaded fork on hand. I spent $100.00 on my SE Landing Gear fork for my 26" BMX cruiser... had I known I could get a GT Charger fork for $27.99 (Buy It Now $12.99 + $15.00 s/h) I never wold have bought my SE fork. GT Charger forks cost $75.00 20 years ago... $12.99 is a steal! You should order one MikesChevelle, this is a great fork and exactly the length of steer tube you needed for you Stumpy!

-D-
Old 06-27-14, 12:01 AM
MikesChevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Right on man, that is great news! Scoring a Dura Ace 9 speed group for a "C-note" is an awesome deal!

Does the bad news about the threaded rigid fork makes you want the GT charger fork on Ebay I told you about a few days ago?

Black Metallic GT Charger CR MO Mountain Bicycle Fork Bike Parts 756 | eBay

I just bought one so I would have a spare 1 1/8th inch threaded fork on hand. I spent $100.00 on my SE Landing Gear fork for my 26" BMX cruiser... had I known I could get a GT Charger fork for $27.99 (Buy It Now $12.99 + $15.00 s/h) I never wold have bought my SE fork. GT Charger forks cost $75.00 20 years ago... $12.99 is a steal! You should order one MikesChevelle, this is a great fork and exactly the length of steer tube you needed for you Stumpy!

-D-
I may hold out for bit and ride the stock fork until I can score a deal on a chrome fork
Old 06-27-14, 02:45 AM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
That is a handsome looking bike.
Old 06-27-14, 05:13 AM
vaultbrad

Originally Posted by Paramount1973
That is a handsome looking bike.
Thanks. The bars are cheapies and way too narrow for my liking. They came off a rescue bike and are all I had around in 25.4 clamp. I'm going to look into some wider nitto bars in 25.4 since I cant seem to find any 1 1/8" quill stems in 26.0. If anybody has any leads on dirt drop style stems with 25.4 quill diameter and a 26.0 clamp I'd be psyched.
Old 06-27-14, 10:13 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks. The bars are cheapies and way too narrow for my liking. They came off a rescue bike and are all I had around in 25.4 clamp. I'm going to look into some wider nitto bars in 25.4 since I cant seem to find any 1 1/8" quill stems in 26.0. If anybody has any leads on dirt drop style stems with 25.4 quill diameter and a 26.0 clamp I'd be psyched.
There are still lots of good bar options in 25.4, and you can still find used. I just put an on one Midge bar on my partners touring bike. I had a salsa woodchipper but she didn't like it. It is a threadless set-up (with an extention, it's hideous and weighs a ton)... but it is a 25.4 bar nonetheless..
Old 06-27-14, 03:02 PM
vaultbrad

Thanks. I'm really thinking about picking up some Nitto RM-13 Dirt Drops since they come in 25.4 and look great
Old 06-27-14, 10:45 PM
MikesChevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the first few coats of paint down tonight............took me HOURS to tape off what was left of the original decals on the bike, the pictures dont really show the finish well, but its a textured paint that almost gives it a lead pipe texture on the finish. Gonna clear coat the snot out of it tomorrow.

Old 06-28-14, 10:17 AM
neo_pop_71

Hey MikesChevelle,

I can dig it, that came out way better than I was imagining it could. They have repop decals for Stumpjumpers, I couldn't get my head around not getting some since you were painting the frame. When I read you spent a bunch of time masking off, you really lost me there. However, now that I see it done, I'm thinking that it came out great... it has that "survivor" look of a vintage bike that's been enjoyed. Well done my friend, looking forward to seeing the complete bike!
Old 06-28-14, 10:25 AM
MikesChevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I opted to keep what is left on the decals because all I could find for repops were like 60 bucks.........but I am happy with how it came out........time to clear coat and get it back together in a few days, then I have to decided black or brown on the bar tape and seat
Old 06-28-14, 10:26 AM
MikesChevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As you can see, there are a few spots where the original silver still shows around the decals, ill hand paint those spots to fill in tonight
Old 06-28-14, 10:38 AM
neo_pop_71

Oh yeah MikesChevelle,

I almost forgot to mention a fork I saw last night on Ebay, I think it's what you're after and I know it'll fit your frame.

Check it out:

New 26" Chrome MTB Fork Takes 22 2 mm Stem 95 mm Threads on 198 mm Steer Tube | eBay

*NEW* - You can't beat that!
*19.8cm threaded steer tube* - That's 7.8 inches, you needed at least 7 inches, right?
*22.2 quill stem" - Plenty of quill options, I run the Nitto MT-10 and it comes in 25.4 or 26.0 clamp
*Buy It Now $28.95* - Seems like a good price for a new fork, nothing that cheap at my LBS

Here is a link to the Nitto "Dirt Drop" stem, both the 26.0 short one and the 25.4 long one:

https://www.benscycle.com/p-2500-nit...uill-stem.aspx

I hope it's what you need to finish the build and no one snags it, keep us posted.

-D-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Chrome_MTN_fork.JPG (82.7 KB, 450 views)
Old 06-28-14, 10:50 AM
MikesChevelle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats a 1 inch and I need a 1 1/8

Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Oh yeah MikesChevelle,

I almost forgot to mention a fork I saw last night on Ebay, I think it's what you're after and I know it'll fit your frame.

Check it out:

New 26" Chrome MTB Fork Takes 22 2 mm Stem 95 mm Threads on 198 mm Steer Tube | eBay

*NEW* - You can't beat that!
*19.8cm threaded steer tube* - That's 7.8 inches, you needed at least 7 inches, right?
*22.2 quill stem" - Plenty of quill options, I run the Nitto MT-10 and it comes in 25.4 or 26.0 clamp
*Buy It Now $28.95* - Seems like a good price for a new fork, nothing that cheap at my LBS

Here is a link to the Nitto "Dirt Drop" stem, both the 26.0 short one and the 25.4 long one:

https://www.benscycle.com/p-2500-nit...uill-stem.aspx

I hope it's what you need to finish the build and no one snags it, keep us posted.

-D-
Old 06-28-14, 11:02 AM
neo_pop_71

Damn, that's right! Sorry man, my old Stumpjumper had a 1" threaded steer tube. I had it in my head that yours was the same.
Old 06-28-14, 11:12 AM
neo_pop_71

How about this one?

Rigid Hi Ten Steel MTB Mountain Bike Fork Chrome 1 1 8 26" Canti Brakes Threaded | eBay

It's new with 23cm uncut steer tube and 10cm of thread so you can cut it to size.

Sorry about the last false alarm, hopefully this one is a keeper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.