Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Get paid to ride your bike (Strava users only)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Get paid to ride your bike (Strava users only)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-15, 04:40 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leinster
Has anyone established yet the relationship of the bonus bucks with the free shipping on orders over $50? If I put in 55 hours of saddle time between now and May 31st, can I then have $55 worth of gear delivered to my door, from CC, for the princely sum of US$0? Or does that count as a sub-$50 order, and I'm still liable for the shipping? In which case I may as well add $50 of extra purchases (tires, tubes, bar tape) to my order to get the free shipping?
They said earlier that if you had $40 credit you need only spend 10 to hit 50 for free shipping,
Old 04-10-15, 06:26 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velociraptor
They round down, to the nearest 1/2 hour of moving time, not ride duration.

From CC's Strava Info page, under How It Works:
  • Each hour ridden is worth $1.00 in store credit, in half-hour increments. So, a 1:45 minute ride would receive $1.50
  • Credits will be deposited into your Competitive Cyclist account within 24 hours
  • Credits will expire at 11:59pm MT on the last day of the following month. For example, credits earned for a ride in March will expire on April 30th
  • You can receive up to 40 credits per month
  • Credits are non-transferable
  • Multiple credits can be combined when placing an order
  • Time is measured in moving time
  • Manual entries do not count
  • Only the Strava activity of ‘cycling’ will count
  • Activity completed prior to syncing accounts does not count
I rode 1:22 (moving time) on Thursday after work, uploaded to Strava from my Garmin, signed up for the program and today I have $1.50 credit on my account. I'm on board, 3 hour Saturday ride in the morning!
Old 04-11-15, 03:35 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
Originally Posted by hokie cycler
I rode 1:22 (moving time) on Thursday after work, uploaded to Strava from my Garmin, signed up for the program and today I have $1.50 credit on my account. I'm on board, 3 hour Saturday ride in the morning!
Nice! They rounded up for me on yesterday's ride.

• 1:24:52 moving time.

You earned $1.50 on "Afternoon Ride".
Old 04-11-15, 07:08 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Got my $2 for 2:02 moving time on Thursday not resetting between my morning training ride and commute.

Got $4 for my 4:02 Tierra Bella 100k wrapping up my rest week. Good thing I had to ride to get my wrist band before proceeding to ride.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-14-15 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 01:42 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
This program is NOT going to be good for family time.... But at least you'll save some money to buy flowers for your spouse because you've been riding so damn much!
Old 04-12-15, 03:59 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
i think it's a brilliant move by competitive cyclist. strava has a huge potential customer base. even if only 5% of strava users sign up,
competitive cyclist will be the first cycling shop website many of us hit. familiarity/loyalty with their website will bring repeat business plus
trigger impulse buying purchases. dunno about you but if i've got a $20 credit from cc and there's a pair of identical bibs or a jersey or a few websites,
pretty sure i'll end up applying the credit and buying it from cc vs performance or a multitude of other websites. short term pain, long term gain.
if it plays out like competitive cyclist perhaps envisions it, they'll garner more market share and put a bunch of competitors out of business.
it's essentially a rewards program for strava users ensuring loyalty for both strava and cc. brilliant.

Last edited by diphthong; 04-12-15 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-14-15, 10:38 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird
And quite possibly there is a 1 hour minimum, my ride today has been acknowledged.
Yes, that appears to be the case. My grocery store rides that are a little over 30 minutes riding time each are not getting any store credit. Shouldn't matter since I'll hit the $40/month limit anyway, but I'll stop uploading those short utility rides to Strava.
Old 04-15-15, 10:28 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
i think it's a brilliant move by competitive cyclist.
Indeed. People describe Strava to non-cyclists as "Facebook for Cyclists" but, the problem is, it's NOT. The inability to direct-message other users, the inability to share stuff other than activities, etc. all make Strava not-quite-there as far as a social media platform.

From the looks of it, CC is trying to fill that gap. I didn't explore it too much (yet?) but when I setup an account, they provided a spot to make a profile with a very Facebook/Instagram/etc. -ish page with a profile image, details about me, etc.

If this little free-money program can boost their sales by getting potential customers 'in the front door' AND get a bunch of new user registrations into their fledgling social media platform for people who would rather share their stories of, "Hey, look at me! I did something exercise-related" in a dedicated like-minded arena (as opposed to on Facebook where they might have business associates, relatives, etc. for whom lycra-clad photos might be mocked/unappreciated) then hey, CC may have a huge WIN on its hands.
Old 04-15-15, 11:53 AM
rpecot

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The jig is up:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
closed.JPG (36.5 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-15-15, 12:07 PM
tekhna

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpecot
The jig is up:

Lol. Guess the accountants were wrong. Or they think they can bleed this promotion for longer by making it "exclusive"

I've already basically given up on it, my short rides don't get counted so there's no real way to hit the 40 hours.
Old 04-15-15, 01:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Bummer. I was thinking I should sign up for strava to take advantage of this. I could get some free GP4000s.
Old 04-15-15, 01:47 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 17 Posts
I'm up to $11.50 so far! woot!!!
Old 04-15-15, 02:01 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Bummer. I was thinking I should sign up for strava to take advantage of this. I could get some free GP4000s.
GP4Ks are $55, and the maximum you can accumulate is $80 over 2 months. You'd have to buy them 1 at a time.

I'm down to 1 ride/week at the moment with other things taking priority, so I hope them closing out signups doesn't mean the scheme is going to be shortlived.
Old 04-15-15, 02:37 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tekhna
Lol. Guess the accountants were wrong.
Or they're being sensibly cautious. I'm sure they've been seeing lots of people signing up and the potential credit $$ keep growing. Someone at the company is sure to question how much this might cost them if most of the people joining the program just end up getting $80 worth of free stuff every couple months and don't buy anything else. Makes sense for them to limit signups until they can get an indication of the buying habits of the customers in this program. Great if they get lots of new customers who are enticed by getting a bit of a discount on substantial purchases, but not so good if the new customers just opt for what they can get free.
Old 04-15-15, 03:20 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Lol. Guess the accountants were wrong. Or they think they can bleed this promotion for longer by making it "exclusive"

I've already basically given up on it, my short rides don't get counted so there's no real way to hit the 40 hours.
Unless you don't reset your bike computer between rides.

You earned $2.00 for "2015-04-14 3x10min + commutes"
Moving time 2:01:53
Elapsed Time 12:00:40
Old 04-15-15, 03:51 PM
tekhna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Or they're being sensibly cautious. I'm sure they've been seeing lots of people signing up and the potential credit $$ keep growing. Someone at the company is sure to question how much this might cost them if most of the people joining the program just end up getting $80 worth of free stuff every couple months and don't buy anything else. Makes sense for them to limit signups until they can get an indication of the buying habits of the customers in this program. Great if they get lots of new customers who are enticed by getting a bit of a discount on substantial purchases, but not so good if the new customers just opt for what they can get free.
Yeah, I'm sure they are. I'm just mildly amused because the business minds of the 41 were adamant this was Business 101 with no possible downside.

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Unless you don't reset your bike computer between rides.

Moving time 2:01:53
Elapsed Time 12:00:40
I've been wondering about that--is there a big battery hit to leaving Strava active in the background?
Old 04-15-15, 04:05 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Yeah, I'm sure they are. I'm just mildly amused because the business minds of the 41 were adamant this was Business 101 with no possible downside.

I've been wondering about that--is there a big battery hit to leaving Strava active in the background?
It's probably OK if you turn off your GPS - that drinks battery.

I use a Garmin Edge 500 for cycling and Samsung Galaxy S5 sport for other things so that's just an educated guess.
Old 04-15-15, 05:50 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It does sort of remind me of the 5% cash back credit cards for gas, groceries and restaurants that went away when the housing market crashed. It was like free money. Of course, that was back when you could earn a 4-5% interest rate in a money market account.
Old 04-15-15, 11:37 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rpecot
The jig is up:

A big thanks to the OP then.....glad I got in when I did. Up to $14 btw.
Old 04-16-15, 03:29 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Seems to be a bit of sour grapes in this thread with a few members poised and ready to proclaim "failure!" for CC.

I guess it may be difficult for some to understand how a program like this would work...

But closing the signups isn't an indication that the bean counters were suddenly "scared" of some unforeseen runaway cost.

No, in my conversations with sales, the company is extremely excited about the program.

They view it as incredible success. Every cycling/sports-related blog and forum is talking about it. Posters are bragging about how much they've earned so far. Even r e d d i t has several threads about it!

My understanding is that the sheer volume of participants has revealed some bugs in their ride-parsing algorithm.

Fixes to affected accounts require manual edits - substantial man-hours – so they're temporarily limiting access until they get it sorted out.

But I say, who cares? If you are lucky enough to be enrolled, just relax and rack up the credits!

CC & Strava will sort out their business... Our business is to just ride!

Oh, and to keep talking about it – because that is the point
Old 04-16-15, 07:48 PM
Stravacyclist79

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"ENTRY IS CURRENTLY CLOSED"

​Sucks to be me right now.

Last edited by Stravacyclist79; 04-16-15 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-16-15, 09:25 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redtires
A big thanks to the OP then.....glad I got in when I did.
+1 on that. I hope they keep the program going for more than 1 month.
Old 04-16-15, 11:15 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
+1 on that. I hope they keep the program going for more than 1 month.
I'm sure they will. It'd be a ferocious climbdown after saying "your points expire on May 31st" to turn around and say "and that's when all of them expire 'cos we're not doing it any more."
Old 04-17-15, 10:34 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I ride at *least* an hour a day. I've started since this thread was started. Even have had a 3 hour day, 2 hour day, 1 1/2 hour day, etc.. but my credit is only at 9.50. That doesn't make sense. Anyone else noticing their credits not being true to how much you are riding?
Old 04-17-15, 10:39 AM
tekhna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW it least on Android hitting stop in Strava after your morning commute and then hitting start 8 hours later doesn't seem to wear down your battery overly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.