Old 04-30-15, 09:10 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by SAGit
I am not certain but the 51 miles route follows the 35 miles route then take another loop of North Fulshear. That loop is 15 miles. Please keep in mind there is no shoulders on 1489. I am going to take my 30 years old 25 lbs steel bike and do the 35 miles route.
I emailed the folks at Bike for Mike last night, and got a reply saying as much:

" We added the 51 and only way we could make it work is to do the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]
loop twice (the blue one), but at least getting the extra miles on the bike."

So there you have it. that's probably what I will do - depending on time. According to the email yesterday the festivities and lunch will only be served to 1:30.

Anyone up for carpooling? I have no idea where I am going. I'm on the west side - Dairy ashford/briar forest area.
Old 04-30-15, 09:46 AM
rpecot

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
So there you have it. that's probably what I will do - depending on time. According to the email yesterday the festivities and lunch will only be served to 1:30.

Anyone up for carpooling? I have no idea where I am going. I'm on the west side - Dairy ashford/briar forest area.
I'll probably do the 51 mile route as well.

I was seriously considering just riding to the start. I live about 6.5 miles away. But since my daughter will be riding with me, we'll probably drive. This is basically my "usual" weekend ride with an extra loop thrown in for good measure. With food, wine, and music too. Let's not forget that.

Your best bet would have been Westpark, but it will be closed this weekend. Take I-10 to the first Brookshire exit and go south on FM 359.
Old 05-01-15, 08:25 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by rpecot
Your best bet would have been Westpark, but it will be closed this weekend. Take I-10 to the first Brookshire exit and go south on FM 359.
yikes, that adds like 10 miles to the way to get there. STUPID WESTPARK TOLLWAY CONSTRUCTION
Old 05-01-15, 08:29 AM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
SG,

I believe the start is basically at the vacant lot where we worked the R2R breakpoint. Or within a block or so one way or another. So if you just head out I-10 to 359, take 359 south, and turn right a block or two before you get to the stop light in Fulshear, I would imagine you can't help but run into somewhere to park and get to the start. I am pretty sure my wife and I are going to ride it. I had dental surgery on Tuesday afternoon, and won't likely be going very hard. But I do need to get some good longer rides in before mid-June, because I did end up agreeing to do the bike leg of a Half Ironman relay with my brother up in Boise, so I can't totally slack off for the next few weeks. I have been on a liquid diet for two days and started soft foods last night, so I am really going to miss pigging out on BBQ after the ride
Old 05-01-15, 08:39 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

We should have a houston bike forums meetup tomorrow. I'm already meeting up with @rpecot

I'll be wearing a my Syracuse Orange jersey (this: Amazon.com : NCAA Syracuse Orange Cycling Jersey : Sports & Outdoors) with tall SU colors argyle socks. so I should be easy to spot.
Old 05-01-15, 09:01 AM
rpecot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by txags92
believe the start is basically at the vacant lot where we worked the R2R breakpoint.
You are correct sir. Basically. The winery (and start) is on the property across the street. Last year, I parked in that vacant lot.
Old 05-01-15, 04:01 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
You are correct sir. Basically. The winery (and start) is on the property across the street. Last year, I parked in that vacant lot.
How early would it take, to get a spot to park there?
Old 05-01-15, 04:10 PM
jtolive

Bikes: 2006 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We should have a houston bike forums meetup tomorrow. I'm already meeting up with @rpecot

I'll be wearing a my Syracuse Orange jersey (this: Amazon.com : NCAA Syracuse Orange Cycling Jersey : Sports & Outdoors) with tall SU colors argyle socks. so I should be easy to spot.
I'll be there too. Wearing a SWCC jersey with a red Roubaix.
Old 05-01-15, 04:31 PM
rpecot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
How early would it take, to get a spot to park there?
Shouldn't take long I guess. I always like to get there an hour before ride time, just so I'm not rushed getting everything together.
Old 05-01-15, 08:19 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by jtolive
I'll be there too. Wearing a SWCC jersey with a red Roubaix.
Nice.
Come find me! I'd say I'd wait by something, but I don't know what the area is like at all so, I'm just going to be following the crowd.

Y'all know my green Surly - probably be the only one there!

My name is Dan (or Sci Guy I guess haha)
Old 05-01-15, 10:17 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I will be in a white jersey with a maroon ATM logo on the front and a 12 on the back and riding a black Emonda.
Old 05-02-15, 12:49 PM
jtolive

Bikes: 2006 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thumbs up

Nice.
Come find me! I'd say I'd wait by something, but I don't know what the area is like at all so, I'm just going to be following the crowd.

Y'all know my green Surly - probably be the only one there!

My name is Dan (or Sci Guy I guess haha)
Sorry missed everyone. Probably ahead of most of the crowd to start with. A flat put a few of us back a little more in the main group. Did the 68 mile loop. We(SWCC) had a tent right by the Swinging Door folks.

Great day weather wise - even better ride!
Old 05-02-15, 05:08 PM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I saw y'all sitting in the SWCC tent, but had no idea which was you. We had a good ride doing the 51 mile route. Wife got hit right between the eyes by a bee coming up Bois d' Arc and rode the last few miles into the breakpoint with the stinger still stuck in her skin on the bridge of her nose. She went on with the ride and finished strong, but it is pretty swollen right now. Looks like a long few days with Benadryl and ice packs in her future. Really enjoyed the lunch and treats afterwards. They take great care of us out there. Did meet another BF member out there, Bruce, but I don't remember his username. Nice to see a good turnout for the ride this year.
Old 05-02-15, 09:00 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by jtolive
Sorry missed everyone. Probably ahead of most of the crowd to start with. A flat put a few of us back a little more in the main group. Did the 68 mile loop. We(SWCC) had a tent right by the Swinging Door folks.

Great day weather wise - even better ride!
I saw a bunch of y'all at the tent but was hoping you would see me since all your jerseys are the same hahaha
The guy from Groundroll was there, can't remember his name though.

I saw y'all sitting in the SWCC tent, but had no idea which was you. We had a good ride doing the 51 mile route. Wife got hit right between the eyes by a bee coming up Bois d' Arc and rode the last few miles into the breakpoint with the stinger still stuck in her skin on the bridge of her nose. She went on with the ride and finished strong, but it is pretty swollen right now. Looks like a long few days with Benadryl and ice packs in her future. Really enjoyed the lunch and treats afterwards. They take great care of us out there. Did meet another BF member out there, Bruce, but I don't remember his username. Nice to see a good turnout for the ride this year.

I didn't see you all day dude.
Saw Bruce in line to start, he's a great guy, did some rides with him last year. He's bkj on here.
I stopped after 35 since I was on a time constraint and wanted to enjoy some lunch and a beer before heading out.
Took some good pics, will post later.
Old 05-03-15, 02:23 PM
bkj

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Howdy all. It was a great day and a great ride. Nice to meet you txags92 and rpecot. I did the 68. Rpecot was right, 1458 after the right turn past Simonton was a little rough, but my bike (blue SOMA with the double top tube) has big tires and the vibration wasn't too bad. The wind picked up a little and I got a tailwind all the way in from Pattison. I didn't get in until 11:50, but I got a couple of beers before the kegs ran out. I'm glad to say I helped with that process!

Next week is the Columbus ride, another favorite of mine.
Old 05-04-15, 05:40 AM
SAGit

Bikes: CAAD9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was a nice ride but I was there for brunch. Thank you Sweet Tooth, Swinging Door, Peperoni, etc....

I had the pleasure of meeting Surleybiker and Rpecot. You guys are nicer in person than your online personality.

I will see y'all in Columbus.
Old 05-04-15, 12:50 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by SAGit
I had the pleasure of meeting Surleybiker and Rpecot. You guys are nicer in person than your online personality.
LoL - I think this is a compliment?

Putting faces to names is always nice! Enjoyed chatting with you during lunch!
Old 05-04-15, 06:36 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Some Bike for Mike pics:

Starting line at the entrance to the Ranch/Vineyards

Lined up to go. Smaller crowd, which was fabulous after being crunched with huge crowds for Ready 2 Roll

Finally got a chance to rock my new jersey and socks. Got a few compliments on the socks specifically. Let's Go Orange!

Beautiful day, beautiful countryside!

Coming back into town after the first 35 miles. Would have gone another loop to hit the 51 but needed to go home soon and wanted to enjoy lunch and beers.

Sherman lined up with his friends

Lunch parade!

Fabulous venue. This ride is great.
Old 05-04-15, 10:22 PM
datsme40

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek 7.2 FX, Specialized Tricross Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like y'all had a good ride this past weekend.

I'm finally ready to get back on the bike (been running, of all things). Last race is over. Restarting my bike commuting at least once a week and hitting the roads on the weekends.

Target rides are Katy Flatlands and Tour de Cure.

Anyone signed up for Tour de Racha this weekend?
Old 05-05-15, 07:12 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by datsme40
Sounds like y'all had a good ride this past weekend.

I'm finally ready to get back on the bike (been running, of all things). Last race is over. Restarting my bike commuting at least once a week and hitting the roads on the weekends.

Target rides are Katy Flatlands and Tour de Cure.

Anyone signed up for Tour de Racha this weekend?
We have been contemplating the Rolling Hills Challenge in Columbus, but as of last time I checked, it was looking like a good chance of rain all weekend.
Old 05-05-15, 11:12 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Yeah I'm registered for Rolling Hills Challenge. Hope the rain holds off...
Old 05-05-15, 02:13 PM
datsme40

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek 7.2 FX, Specialized Tricross Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I remember reading about that ride at some point. Have a good ride.
Old 05-05-15, 09:01 PM
rpecot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think I'm going to skip the Columbus ride this weekend. @txags92 - have you ever ridden with the Handlebar Cyclery group on Saturdays?
Old 05-06-15, 08:46 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Think I'm going to skip the Columbus ride this weekend. @txags92 - have you ever ridden with the Handlebar Cyclery group on Saturdays?
I haven't, how is their ride? I am kind of looking for somewhat hillier ~3 hour weekend rides over the next few weeks as I get ready for Boise, but I will probably be trying out some different groups after that is over. That is why I am hopeful that the rain will hold off and we can do the Rolling Hills ride.
Old 05-06-15, 11:20 AM
rpecot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't, how is their ride? I am kind of looking for somewhat hillier ~3 hour weekend rides over the next few weeks as I get ready for Boise, but I will probably be trying out some different groups after that is over. That is why I am hopeful that the rain will hold off and we can do the Rolling Hills ride.
Gotcha... The Handlebar ride is basically Bike for Mike in reverse. In fact we passed them on Winner Foster going in opposite directions last week. The A group is way too fast for me. I can hang on to the B group - they typically average 18+. Last time I rode with them, there was at least a dozen in the B group. It was a fun group. C/Beginners is no drop; they do a 25ish mile route.

A nearby, hilly option is to park at Royal HS in Brookshire and ride to Bellville and back. After you cross the Brazos, get off 529 and ride Coshatte Rd into Bellville. Wife and I did that one weekend when our schedule conflicted with R2R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.