Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We lost a rider this morning. Don't take your health for granted.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We lost a rider this morning. Don't take your health for granted.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 06:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Unfortunately no amount of riding can overcome a poor diet.
Quoted for truth.
Old 06-09-15, 07:04 AM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
And, high cholesterol numbers don't necessarily mean high risk for heart attacks. Seems I've read somewhere that there are just as many folks dying with low numbers as with high. Inflammation is now considered to be a key risk factor for heart attacks. I believe there is now a test to measure it.
I agree with this. I am a dental hygienist and in our field the link between periodontal (gum) disease and atherosclerosis is well known. Periodontal infections are a huge source of chronic inflammation and should be treated, it's not just about losing teeth anymore, but rather about overall health. So don't forget to take care of your teeth/gums as part of your health regimen.
Old 06-09-15, 07:26 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
More to the point, and apart from the pause it has given you to consider your own health, how are you bearing up? Being beside someone one moment then having them die unexpected the next is a pretty tough gig anytime.
Honestly it keeps running through my mind. I didn't really know him at all. Maybe ridden with him a half dozen times. Its just a really odd feeling. Not to mention the new anxiety about my own health and that of some of my family members.
Old 06-09-15, 09:09 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You always hear you can not out ride a bad diet, and now the brutal truth seems to be you can not out ride or out diet unlucky genetics. This is GOOD in some ways however because it shifts focus onto things we CAN detect early, like colon cancer as one example.
Old 06-09-15, 09:21 AM
gamby

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willbird
My Dr told me the push is to get EVERYBODY on a Statin but they scare me. He said there was no dosage reccomendation. I just recently saw something about a low salt diet imposed on people who do not need it causing plaques, and causing the BP of about 15% of people to go UP. Yep 15% of people if you lower their sodium intake their BP goes up.
I know there's a hubbub about "statin nation". My doc is younger and pretty progressive in his ideology, from what I've seen.

FWIW, there have been zero side effects from my statin (Simvastatin)--very low dose. My vitals are all really good. It lowered my C-reactive protein, which is something one does not want to screw around with.
Old 06-09-15, 02:20 PM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gamby
I know there's a hubbub about "statin nation". My doc is younger and pretty progressive in his ideology, from what I've seen.

FWIW, there have been zero side effects from my statin (Simvastatin)--very low dose. My vitals are all really good. It lowered my C-reactive protein, which is something one does not want to screw around with.
I was on it, ATORVASTATIN, but I had a leg pain issue that turned out to be from a muscle that would shorten up due to me being on my feet all day, and before I rode a bike 500-700+ miles a month, and or lost 125 lbs. So with that whole issue I quit the statin just to make sure IT was not the source of the muscle pain.

Dr. was fine with me dropping it after he saw my labs :-).

Hey I found out that Coronary Calcium test is avail in Northeast, IN for $50 cash, no Dr, referral even required, through Parkview.

Bill

Last edited by Willbird; 06-09-15 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-09-15, 06:12 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sorry for the loss.
If its any consolation, he went out doing what he enjoyed.
Old 06-09-15, 07:07 PM
KAH
Unsafe at Any Speed

Bikes: Bikes: 2015 Volagi Viaje XL, 85 Specialized Rockhopper w/drops, 81 Miyata 912, gone but not forgotten late 60s Coast To Coast Sting-Ray(J38 knockoff), Schwinn Typhoon, 75 Sekine GS, 81 Trek 412, 85 Trek 720 Touring.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Sorry for your loss of a pedaling acquaintance.

I see this thread has wondered on to nutrition so I don’t feel too rude adding a link to this site even though it’s off-topic from the original post.

I have been concerned about blockage since my older brother(by one year) had several heart stents put in 2years ago.

Here is a vast nutrition site with lots of evidence based advice what to eat and not to eat.

He puts up a good argument for going vegan for human health reasons.

Michael Greger M.D.
the page on heart disease
www.nutritionfacts.org/topics/heart-disease/

the main page

www.nutritionfacts.org

Last edited by KAH; 06-09-15 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-09-15, 07:42 PM
xscottypx

Bikes: 2014 Focus Cayo 3.0 / 2000 specialized stumpjumper M4 / 2013 All City Big Block

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^^

my genetics bless me with bad cholesterol. i eat very little dairy now and zero meat. diet works fir sure, i lowered my numbers with diet alone. i really got back into cyclying to strengthen my heart
Old 06-09-15, 08:48 PM
Nexx11

Bikes: 2013 Scott CR1 Pro / SRAM Force 22/ Boyd Vitesse Wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well ****. You guys are making me deathly afraid of turning 40 next year
Old 06-10-15, 03:11 AM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stucky
But getting checked regularly is bogus.
Don't mean to be contentious but this bit of generalized advice isn't in the best interests of most people. Getting checked and treated probably has saved more than 1 life. Everyone chooses the level of healthcare they can afford or believe will help. Advising people that getting checked is bogus just strikes me wrong. I'd rather get checked and die tomorrow than to follow this advice.
Old 06-10-15, 05:56 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Knowing the numbers is not "bad" but as more time goes on sometimes they find that what they touted as "good" is either useless, or even harmful. Focus of time and money on things that DO make a difference is better.

I'm not sure anybody has proven changing cholesterol numbers has ever did anything good for anybody. Sky high BP is bad, but a chemical solution instead of attacking the root cause may cause harm due to side effects from the chemicals.
Old 06-10-15, 06:05 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cleanton
In order to prevent calcification in your arteries take "Vitamine K2" pills. For more info read this article: 10 Important Facts About Vitamin K That You Need to Know

And also take some blood thinners to prevent clotting. (ask to your doctor)
I also heard apple cider vinegar will helps to clear up the blockage in the arteries . I am taking one teaspoon a day now .
Old 06-10-15, 01:41 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Here is what a world class heart surgeon causes heart disease.

I went low carb, high fat last September and I lost 50 lbs and my cholesterol has improved dramatically. Inflammation is a killer and unfortunately the standard American diet is full of carbs and sugar and causes inflammation. I just got done reading a book called "The Great Cholesterol Myth". The premise of this book is that your total cholesterol doesn't matter, what matters is your hdl to triglycerides ratio, and the size of your blood particles. I had a VAP test a few months back and my blood particles are the large fluffy kind that cause little damage. My hdl/tri Ratio has gone from 3.89 down to 1.13 in 8 months.
Old 06-10-15, 03:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
Here is what a world class heart surgeon causes heart disease.

I went low carb, high fat last September and I lost 50 lbs and my cholesterol has improved dramatically. Inflammation is a killer and unfortunately the standard American diet is full of carbs and sugar and causes inflammation. I just got done reading a book called "The Great Cholesterol Myth". The premise of this book is that your total cholesterol doesn't matter, what matters is your hdl to triglycerides ratio, and the size of your blood particles. I had a VAP test a few months back and my blood particles are the large fluffy kind that cause little damage. My hdl/tri Ratio has gone from 3.89 down to 1.13 in 8 months.
Is it possible you have that ratio inverted? Don't you mean tri/HDL not HDL/tri. Say tri is 80 and HDL is 60, not bad numbers and the ratio is 1.33. That makes sense. 0.75 does not. Why? LDL is generally approximated as 0.2 X tri. So higher tri is bad. Reducing tri as indicated by a ratio would place it in the numerator, not the denominator.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 06-10-15, 03:57 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
You're correct it is tri/hdl. So if your tri is 150 and your hdl is 50, your ratio would be a 3.
Old 06-11-15, 02:34 PM
rpecot

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greenlight149
Does that mean just because someone is fit doesn't mean they are healthy?

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
That's exactly what that means.
So true. My father was lucky to catch his blockage ~10 years ago because he noticed a sudden decrease in his fitness. He was (and now, still is) very active with tennis, golf, etc, but then suddenly was winded walking up a set of stairs. Sensing something wasn't right, he went to the doctor for a stress test and was in the operating room the next day. Quadruple bypass.

His father (my grandfather) survived 4 heart attacks in his 40s and 50s.

It took me a while, but I'm keeping on top of my heart health now, including regular visits to the cardiologist.
Old 06-11-15, 03:08 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"My Dr told me the push is to get EVERYBODY on a Statin"
I'd like to see evidence of that claim.
Old 06-11-15, 03:09 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

The amount of misinformation in this thread is awesome!
Old 06-11-15, 03:17 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
The amount of misinformation in this thread is awesome!
There's a mix, and even some of the wacky stuff isn't dangerous.

But yeah, .
Old 06-11-15, 03:20 PM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@icyclistNot to risk of derailing this thread from it's original purpose, I'd invite you to start a new thread and point out the topics you can inform us on.
Old 06-11-15, 04:11 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very sorry to hear about the OP's friend. I have to say that I hope that when its my time, I get to go suddenly while doing something I love with my friends though.

Originally Posted by Sojodave
my blood particles are the large fluffy kind
Now there's something I never thought I would read
Old 06-11-15, 04:38 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Sorry for your loss.
@rpenmanparker I was once on a statin I through exercise kicked the drugs, lost weight and have improved my lipid panel numbers all they way around. My diet is not anywhere considered low fat or low cholesterol. I eat two eggs daily most often fried. I eat bacon and pork sausage. For some people exercise can improve health better than drugs.
Old 06-11-15, 07:37 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Originally Posted by KBentley57
@icyclistNot to risk of derailing this thread from it's original purpose, I'd invite you to start a new thread and point out the topics you can inform us on.
I've had a couple of heart attacks - the second when a stent became clogged. While I'm a lay person, I've tried to fuel my interest in the subject of the human heart, and it's failings (in more way than one) with information not based on anecdote or personal or biased opinions. It's fun to read what people think about heart disease here, but I don't think it goes beyond that. I also don't think, I'm competent to suggest to others what they should do to stay alive, particularly regarding medication, except to say that whatever I've done to survive since December, 2007, when I had my first heart attack, has included exercise, healthy food, self-reflection and occasional binging on ice cream. ;-)

Last edited by icyclist; 06-11-15 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-11-15, 08:07 PM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by icyclist
"My Dr told me the push is to get EVERYBODY on a Statin"
I'd like to see evidence of that claim.
He said the reason was inflammation, statins supposedly help reduce that....it could have been "everybody over 40"....

Half of Older Adults Should Take Statins Under New Guidelines
Using data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys of 2005 to 2010, the researchers estimated the number of people for whom statin therapy would be recommended under the new ACC-AHA guidelines.1
Compared with the older guidelines, the new recommendations would increase the number of US adults ages 40 to 75 eligible for statin therapy from 43.2 million to 56 million, with most of the increase occurring among adults withoutheart disease. This equates to nearly half of the US population between the ages of 40 and 75!
Among older adults (those between the ages of 60 and 75), the percentage eligible for statins would increase from 30 percent to 87 percent among men and from 21 percent to 54 percent among women. According to the study, this drastic rise would be driven largely by risk determined solely by their 10-year risk of a cardiovascular event – a measure that has been heavily criticized by experts (as I'll discuss shortly).
The study's lead author noted that this implies "if you're a 60- to 75-year-old man and not on a statin, you should go get one, and every other woman of this age should get one."2
New Cholesterol Guidelines May Put Millions More on Statins

When Cleveland Clinic cardiologist Dr. Steven Nissen used the calculator to evaluate some of his own patients—men who had no known risk markers—it became clear just how flawed this measure really is. They had healthy cholesterol levels, normal blood pressure, and didn't smoke; in short, these were men who were completely healthy.

The calculator still ended up finding a 7.5 percent risk, qualifying them for arbitrary drug treatment. "Something is terribly wrong," he told the New York Times,6 noting that using this calculator will ensure that virtually every "average healthy Joe" gets statin treatment.
[h=2]Statins May Be Detrimental to Your Heart, and Overall, Health[/h]
Perhaps the biggest "sham" of all is that statin drugs, touted as "preventive medicine" to protect your heart health, can actually have detrimental effects on your heart. For example, a study published in the journal Atherosclerosis9 showed that statin use is associated with a 52 percent increased prevalence and extent of calcified coronary plaque compared to non-users. Coronary artery calcification is the hallmark of potentially lethal heart disease!
Even more egregious, recent research shows that statins can effectively negate the benefits of exercise, which is one of the primary heart disease prevention strategies! The study, published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology,10discovered that statin use led to dramatically reduced fitness benefits from exercise, in some cases actually making the volunteer LESS fit than before. The results showed that:
  • On average, non-medicated participants improved their aerobic fitness by more than 10 percent after a 12-week long (five days a week) supervised exercise program. Mitochondrial content activity increased by 13 percent
  • Volunteers taking 40 mg of simvastatin improved their fitness by a mere 1.5 percent on average, and some hadreduced their aerobic capacity at the end of the 12-week fitness program. Mitochondrial content activity decreased by an average of 4.5 percent

Last edited by Willbird; 06-11-15 at 08:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.