Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

thinking of reversing the wiring on my brakes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 11:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts

I've read with and concur with Sheldon's writings on how to wire brakes. It would make more sense to have the right lever control the front brake, but it's not traditional here in the US, and it would be a bad idea to change it on someone else's bike because it would produce unexpected results. I've always had it the traditional way. I believe I will be able to adapt quickly enough. I'm good at adapting to changes like this. For example, when I sit at a keyboard with an unusual keyboard, I can get to work quickly and can switch to and from it easily. Similarly with cars.

I'd like to have my signaling hand free from the primary brake. If my right lever controlled the front, I can achieve this. I'm right handed but I'm perfectly adept at modulating my front brake with my left hand as it is, so that's not my motivation.

Thoughts?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-21-10, 12:04 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
It makes a lot of sense to be able to control the more effective brake and the shifter with the same hand; but this kinda presumes your shifter and brake are accessible from the same spot on the handlebar. With downtube shifters, or even bar end shifters, there is less benefit.

Anyway, I prefer to have the front brake on the right side, but do not do not consistently set my bikes up that way; too lazy. And this inconsistency is a bad thing.

Related question: do you actually use your rear brake much? Why? I do, but only because I habitually squeeze both brakes at the same time. This habit is a result from the aforementioned inconsistency. I don't believe the rear brake does me any good, and it costs me brake shoes and rims.
Old 09-21-10, 12:06 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I agree with Sheldon's reasoning and have routed my cables this way on two bikes. My current bikes use left/front right/rear routing, however. I didn't find the transition difficult either way. Other than when signaling, I use both brakes.

Edit: RHM, my braking habits are much like yours. However, I actually feel like my rear brake is helping a good deal. Locked up the rear wheel the other day in traffic as a driver a few cars ahead found the perfect parking space.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 09-21-10 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 12:06 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
noglider, Why not? Certainly worth a try. At least it reads like you actually use your front brake, I've seen many just skid the rear into a near crash or actually crash when a moderate application of the front brake would've prevented it.

Brad
Old 09-21-10, 12:17 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I'm putting new bars/levers on my bike, so I'm going to try sheldon's method. My first time with new cables (and my first time with aero levers) so it should be an adventure.
Old 09-21-10, 12:37 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
When I commuted on my single speed I had it set up with the front brake on the right. Its great when you're constantly signaling...you can actually keep your hand on a useful brake.

I use my rear brake to make minor adjustments to my speed like when riding with friends and I want to pace behind them or next to them I'll just pedal at about the right speed and use my rear brake to scrub a little extra speed if I need to.
Old 09-21-10, 01:00 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I guess I can see the point of it, but at least in IL, I'm pretty sure it's acceptable now to signal a right turn with the right hand. Anyway, I believe the average driver will understand the motion. That still leaves braking, which is far easier to see when indicated with the left arm, but personally I rarely signal my intent to brake, except on occasion to other cyclists.

Aesthetically, if you're dealing with non-aero levers and side-pull brakes, I think it looks far better to run the left lever to the front brake so that the housings cross.
Old 09-21-10, 01:48 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I've tried the switch on a recent mtb. Since motorcycles use the right hand lever for front braking, it should be more intuitive for me. The bar layouts are close. For now, I will keep my road bikes the USA conventional routing. With aero levers, the housing must bend radically to connect to the front caliper.
Old 09-21-10, 02:02 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I don't think I'd want to try to signal and brake simultaneously.
Old 09-21-10, 02:03 PM
jtgotsjets

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I run a reversed set up, primarily for ease of signaling. My Ironman is still set up traditional because I didn't figure this out until after I had changed my bar tape the last time. I haven't ridden it in a few months but I recall that switching between it and my bikes set up the other way was never a problem.
Old 09-21-10, 02:06 PM
jtgotsjets

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I don't think I'd want to try to signal and brake simultaneously.
Uh, what? You just roll out into the intersection? Or come to a full stop at green lights? Or just don't signal?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm genuinely curious. As someone who rides almost exclusively in traffic, I have trouble coming up with situations where you're not required to brake and signal simultaneously.
Old 09-21-10, 02:10 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I run my single speed right front, but solely because it made the cabling look better. I don't notice any issues going back and forth.

I have more problems going from Ergo to STI to DT, then throwing in my [rigged] Nexus7/ Sora STI where the lever/button shift pattern is "backwards." It all works out after the first missed shift.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Last edited by Ex Pres; 09-21-10 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 02:24 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets
Uh, what? You just roll out into the intersection? Or come to a full stop at green lights? Or just don't signal?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm genuinely curious. As someone who rides almost exclusively in traffic, I have trouble coming up with situations where you're not required to brake and signal simultaneously.
I rarely signal, but I always brake with both hands on the bars.
Old 09-21-10, 02:30 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've read with and concur with Sheldon's writings on how to wire brakes. It would make more sense to have the right lever control the front brake, but it's not traditional here in the US, and it would be a bad idea to change it on someone else's bike because it would produce unexpected results. I've always had it the traditional way. I believe I will be able to adapt quickly enough. I'm good at adapting to changes like this. For example, when I sit at a keyboard with an unusual keyboard, I can get to work quickly and can switch to and from it easily. Similarly with cars.

I'd like to have my signaling hand free from the primary brake. If my right lever controlled the front, I can achieve this. I'm right handed but I'm perfectly adept at modulating my front brake with my left hand as it is, so that's not my motivation.

Thoughts?
As long as your remember when you really need to do so.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 09-21-10, 02:55 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
With center pull brakes, I don't see a problem with cable routing. Side pulls with aero levers would be a bit of a challenge. I would prefer front/right as well from all my years on a motorcycle. Anybody have good pictures of side pull with rightfront configuration? I think Dave Moulton always does right/front as well. Looked for the article but didn't find it.

Here is a pic.
https://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com...ry/bike-riding

Found the article. https://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com...bicycle-design

Last edited by SJX426; 09-21-10 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 03:16 PM
Lapdanceinlyrca

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have mine set up backwards. right side controls front.

i rather like it. If I ride single handed (water bottle signaling etc), I do so with my right hand usually, so it makes a little bit of sense.

honestly, either way is fine, as long as you are comfortable with it and wont die because of a mix-up of levers...

Last edited by Lapdanceinlyrca; 09-21-10 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 04:38 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Many of my motorcycle friends reverse the brakes, as on a motorcycle, the front brake is the right side lever (left side lever is the clutch). Although I have ridden quite a few miles on a motorcycle (500,000 plus), I have not gone to the trouble of reversing cables.
Old 09-22-10, 07:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by jtgotsjets

Signaling isn't all it's cracked up to be. I recently saw a video by the League of American Bicyclists which recommends signaling but also says that if you can't do it easily, don't. And you can signal with your head. It made me realize that I do signal with my head a lot. Still, I do often signal with my left hand while braking. I do signal right turns with my right hand but I signal left turns with my left hand. I signal stops only to cyclists I'm riding with. Motorists don't need me to signal my braking to them.

OK, I'll switching and see how it goes. It probably won't be any worse, and it could be better for me. I've been riding the current way since 1975. We'll see if this old dog can learn this new trick.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-22-10, 08:54 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I cannot brake and signal simultaneously on a steep descent. I signal for right turns in the most logical fashion -- a horizontally outstretched right arm, since that arm is not hidden inside a car. On clean, dry pavement I use just the front brake, but if the pavement is wet or gravelly, or on a descent, I use both brakes. (I have gone down in one low-speed front wheel skid and vowed never again.) On long descents I check speed with the rear brake, to keep the front rim from overheating. On a really long descent, I'll alternate brakes to control heating of both rims.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-22-10, 09:40 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
^^ I'm with John - two brakes for me, please. If you make a slight mistake and enter a downhill corner a little hot, and then change the force vector too much on a heeled-over front wheel at speed..... well, you'll have a lot of exciting activity on your hands, PDQ.

Two brakes good, one brake bad.

S. J. Perelman
Old 09-22-10, 09:43 PM
jtgotsjets

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Signaling isn't all it's cracked up to be. I recently saw a video by the League of American Bicyclists which recommends signaling but also says that if you can't do it easily, don't. And you can signal with your head. It made me realize that I do signal with my head a lot. Still, I do often signal with my left hand while braking. I do signal right turns with my right hand but I signal left turns with my left hand. I signal stops only to cyclists I'm riding with. Motorists don't need me to signal my braking to them.

OK, I'll switching and see how it goes. It probably won't be any worse, and it could be better for me. I've been riding the current way since 1975. We'll see if this old dog can learn this new trick.
This is true—I feel like I'm probably the only person who actually remembers the hand signals from driver's ed—but I still try to do it whenever practical. I also tend not to skip to the front of the line at stop lights. I figure anything that increases my legitimacy as a road vehicle is a good thing.
Old 09-22-10, 10:13 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I bought a bike from a European former racer that used that setup. I got used to it pretty quickly when it was my only bike, but when you ride more than one bike with different setups it can get weird IMO.
Old 09-22-10, 10:36 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
noglider,

while you're at it, you might as well install a rapid rise RD.
Old 09-22-10, 10:46 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
All of my bikes and my daughter's bikes are set up with right hand front brakes... have been riding like this for over 5 years and probably should have done it sooner as it just feels right.

Rode fg with a right hand front and quite a few of the old British bikes I am so fond of also came with right hand front brakes.

Can switch over to a conventional set up really easily as I have to test drive a lot of bikes and very few of them have reversed set ups although a few friends have also made this switch.
Old 09-22-10, 10:56 PM
Widsith
Philologist

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rarely signal when stopping (because I usually forget and because I doubt most people recognize that signal anyway), but I always try to signal turns. My usual practice is to do "two-stage" signals: I signal the turn for a few seconds before braking, then put both hands on the brakes until I've slowed considerably, then signal again and hold it through the turn. If needed, I'll continue to brake one-handed in the turn, but that's not often necessary. If I'm stopping before turning, I signal before braking, then use both brakes to come to a full stop, and signal again before I start making the turn.

I've always kept my brakes set up the standard way, with the front brake on the left cable. After a lifetime of riding that way (I'm 55) I'd rather not try to re-train my reflexes now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.