Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Record Hubs (Flamesuit On!)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 11:24 AM
K. Legaspi
Roadie

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is probably going to be the biggest newbie question in this forum but...

I am planning to get some wheels built and I have an idea of what I want the set up to be.

- Pacenti SL23 Rims
- Campagnolo Record Hubs
- Sapim CX Ray Spokes
- DT Swiss Brass Nipples

My problem is I have a SRAM groupset and I've been researching on ways to be able to use the Campy hubs with a SRAM/Shimano cassette. I have been researching a lot on free hub bodies that are Campy compatible with SRAM/Shimano splines and I have found this:

https://www.glorycycles.com/fucafrbofors.html

And before I get hated on for the SRAMpagnolo or whatever it is, I picked the Campy Record hubs because it is cheaper than DT240s/R45s and from what I've read, perform just as well. If it performs just as well as those 2 highly acclaimed hubs, but cheaper, then why not? I am a broke college student who is trying to find the perfect set up for a good price. And I do realize that the Record hubs only come in 32H which is exactly what I'm looking for.

As far as I can tell, this will work but I am not exactly sure. Can anyone confirm if this free hub body will work with the wheel build I have planned?

Thank you in advance for the patience. Sorry for being a noob.

Don't hate me too much.
Old 07-31-13, 11:53 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
As a broke college kid, you should be focused on your studies no. 1 (your dad speaking) and no. 2 chasing women. When you aren't doing either, you should be riding...ride machine built wheels and don't waste your time building wheels. Building wheels is a good thing to do later in life, just not right now. For $300 you can get a solid set of wheels for your SRAM build that will stay in true. So what if they aren't ultra light. I keep up with guys on carbon wheels half my age.
Record hubs are excellent...unfortunately limited to 32 spoke count front and back. Can't help you with cross compatibility because I ride Campy.
Lots of good hubs out there with different spoke count capability.
Most important thing is to get the best GPA for the least amount of effort. If you are an engineering major with your focus on wheel detail, good luck to you.
Old 07-31-13, 12:55 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
It's my understanding you have not yet placed this order.

If you are riding Sram, Campy hubs are going to be basically the only option sold anywhere in the world that cause any compatibility problems. They are designed to run on Campy parts, to the extent that Campy actually sells another brand of hubs and wheels (Fulcrum) for the express purpose of Sram/Shim compatibility.

Why are you putting yourself through this? Campy hubs are terrific, but there's nothing uniquely wonderful about them. Why not just make it easy on yourself and pick something good that's Sram compatible right out of the box? DA hubs are awesome, for example.
Old 07-31-13, 01:31 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
What are your existing wheels, and what are you trying to accomplish with the new set of wheels?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-31-13, 01:42 PM
K. Legaspi
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11

If you are riding Sram, Campy hubs are going to be basically the only option sold anywhere in the world that cause any compatibility problems. They are designed to run on Campy parts, to the extent that Campy actually sells another brand of hubs and wheels (Fulcrum) for the express purpose of Sram/Shim compatibility.

Why are you putting yourself through this? Campy hubs are terrific, but there's nothing uniquely wonderful about them. Why not just make it easy on yourself and pick something good that's Sram compatible right out of the box? DA hubs are awesome, for example.
I would get some DA hubs but those are almost twice as much as the Record hubs. The DA hubs are even more than the DTs and CKs.

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
What are your existing wheels, and what are you trying to accomplish with the new set of wheels?
I have Shimano RS-10s. I am quite a heavy rider and race quite often. Whenever I'm out of the saddle, the wheels flex and the brakes rub. They've come untrue a few times already. I'm looking for smooth and fast rolling wheels that are stiff and bomb proof and I believe this set up will do that for me.
Old 07-31-13, 03:46 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Why the fixation on Campy hubs? If you have and SRAM groupset, that ain't gonna work. The only Campy hubs that works for are the pre-built wheels where you can take a freehub from a Fulcrum 5 (IIRC) and use it on a Campy Khamsin hub. And I'm not sure how good the correlation is for rear hubs between pre-built Campy and Fulcrum wheelsets.

If it's aesthetics, see if you can find a 10-speed White Industries rear hub. Those also have the advantage of a TI freehub.
Old 07-31-13, 04:00 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
What is your price on the Record hubs?

If I was a broke college student looking for 32h hubs I would get Ultegra.

You will never notice the weight unless you are actually looking at a scale and with a little periodic maintenance they will last you far past grad school.
Old 07-31-13, 04:02 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Or down a notch to 105 hubs, and service your own.
Old 07-31-13, 04:05 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
How much do you weigh? That can make a big difference in what advice you receive. Not about the hub, but for all the questions you didn't ask for advice on!

If you are a clyde, stop by the Clyde/Athena forum and do some reading. Lots of good advice on wheelsets for us heavier riders over there.

Here's one thread going on now.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...this-wheel-set
Old 07-31-13, 04:43 PM
K. Legaspi
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weight in at a hefty 240 lbs and race criteriums plenty. I'm looking for a fast rolling wheelset that will withstand a fatty sprint and rough roads. The reason I ask about the Record hubs is because I am fairly certain they are of same quality and performance as DT240s, R45s, T11s, DA, etc etc without having to dish out for the price of DT240s, R45s, T11s, DA, etc etc. The Record is around the same weight as well. Maybe less than others.

I like what I've read about the Record hubs but I'm not fixed on getting these specific hubs. No, it's not for aesthetics. I just saw them as a comparison to what seems to be the standard which are the DT240s, R45s, T11s, DA, etc etc. Why not the 105? Because from what I read, it doesn't perform like the hubs I mentioned above.

The point of this whole thread was to question whether or not that the Fulcrum free hub body I linked above will work with the Campy Record hub. Now, I understand that some may think I'm some "Campy for some bling" fan boy but I'm not. If I was then I'd be buying a Campy groupset rather than just using the hubs. I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck and the set up I have listed is what I sought to be pretty good value for the money. For the listed set up above, I could get for much less than $800.

Thank you for all your suggestions though, they are much appreciated. I'll definitely look into it. But if someone has a definite answer to my question, it'd be even better!
Old 07-31-13, 04:51 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
The assumptions were because you were focused on a very odd set of hubs for someone running S gear. I don't think it's just a choice between expensive DTSwiss/DA hubs and Record, either. What about White Industries T11, or Novatec?
Old 07-31-13, 05:04 PM
K. Legaspi
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
The assumptions were because you were focused on a very odd set of hubs for someone running S gear. I don't think it's just a choice between expensive DTSwiss/DA hubs and Record, either. What about White Industries T11, or Novatec?
I'll definitely look into the T11. Thank you. If someone has a definite answer to the OP then it'd be much appreciated.

Just to be clear though, if these "Campagnolo Record" hubs were branded "Origin8," I'd still be asking the same question given that they performed the same way. Lol.
Old 07-31-13, 05:25 PM
justkeepedaling

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for any Shimano hub 105 level or up
Old 07-31-13, 05:46 PM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
IIRC, the free hub from the fulcrum line can be installed on the record hubs. Just remember to get the spacer that is underneath the free hubs as well.

32h seems like a good option for you.

There are other hubs on the market that should work just as we'll for your application. Do some shopping.

Old 07-31-13, 05:55 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
The freehub you linked says 11 speed. There are 8/9/10 speed shimano freehubs for Fulcrum wheels for half that price on Total Cycling. I do not know if they are Record compatible, but if Bob is right, I'd go that way. They are listed under wheels-Road-Campagnolo

https://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/whee...reehub_S9.html

Edit: oops, $80, the lower end ones are less.
Old 07-31-13, 07:10 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
How about using the Record hubs with a Campy cassette and a J-tek shiftmate to solve the compatability problem.
Old 07-31-13, 08:17 PM
K. Legaspi
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the responses, everyone. I really appreciate it.

I'll definitely keep this set up in mind as my wheel builder just offered me an irresistible deal on a Pacenti SL23 + CK R45 + CX Rays for a couple bills more than the record, so I'll wait a bit longer for less trouble. Lol.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I might suggest the Record setup for my dad who actually has Campy stuff. Lol.

Happy riding and cheers!
Old 07-31-13, 09:22 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by K. Legaspi

I'll definitely keep this set up in mind as my wheel builder just offered me an irresistible deal on a Pacenti SL23 + CK R45 + CX Rays for a couple bills more than the record, so I'll wait a bit longer for less trouble. Lol.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I might suggest the Record setup for my dad who actually has Campy stuff. Lol.

Happy riding and cheers!
Kevin, ride your bike more and worry about wheels less. Boom, called out.

Also, the Internet is weird sometimes, I was reading this and thinking "that sounds like a guy I know!". Come race with us on Sunday at BP.

Dan M.
Old 07-31-13, 10:06 PM
K. Legaspi
Roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha, what's up, Dan?

Haven't you noticed how much I've been trying to ride my bike lately? Slowly coming back, my friend. I've also wanted wheels since last season and have been trying to find the perfect set. It's more of a want than a need for sure but I think it's time I pulled the trigger.

And besides, my current wheels are legitimately hindering my performance. Lol. Not a fan of the wheel flex when I'm off the saddle and the wheels start rubbing brakes.

Last edited by K. Legaspi; 07-31-13 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-31-13, 10:17 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by achoo
Why the fixation on Campy hubs? If you have and SRAM groupset, that ain't gonna work. The only Campy hubs that works for are the pre-built wheels where you can take a freehub from a Fulcrum 5 (IIRC) and use it on a Campy Khamsin hub. And I'm not sure how good the correlation is for rear hubs between pre-built Campy and Fulcrum wheelsets.

If it's aesthetics, see if you can find a 10-speed White Industries rear hub. Those also have the advantage of a TI freehub.
Originally Posted by Dean V
How about using the Record hubs with a Campy cassette and a J-tek shiftmate to solve the compatability problem.
There is no compatibility issue.

Campagnolo has been selling shimano compatible freehub bodies for a very long time. Longer than fulcrum has been around. I believe they also had their shimano 11spd freehub body to market before shimano had their own 11spd hubs avalible.

I'm not saying its the best option, but you will be far for the first person to intentionally use record hubs with sram or shimano. As a manner of fact, I saw two used sets for sale with shimano freehubs in the last month.

its not the cheapest option (I would look at the t11) but there is no need to call it a compatability issue:
https://mikesbikes.com/product/fulcru...9854-qc129.htm

it was previously sold in a Campagnolo box part FH-BUU015X1

edit:
I missed the link in the original post, yes that is the one you want if going this route. For what its worth, the record hubs are fantastic. I prefer the look othe the previous silver ones, but the black ones perform just the same (same internals) and weigh less.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 07-31-13 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-01-13, 08:25 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I didn't say it wouldn't work; I said it was very odd. Which it is.
Old 08-01-13, 11:01 AM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I didn't say it wouldn't work; I said it was very odd. Which it is.
I will give you that. I shouldn't have quoted you on that. If Campagnolo sold the hubs with the shimano body already installed (reducing the price $100+) I think it would be a very reasonable option. You are basically getting a dura ace level hub that leaves the window open for Campagnolo compatability.
Old 08-01-13, 01:05 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Just get Ultegra hubs like everyone else and call it a day.
Old 08-01-13, 01:56 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by K. Legaspi

Happy riding and cheers!
Chris King R45s are great hubs, but at your weight and racing style (crits), I'd go for a hub with a steel or titanium freehub body. And I don't think CK hubs have that - I'm pretty sure they're alloy (aluminum) freehubs. AFAIK the only hubs with TI freehub body are Shimano Dura Ace and White Industries.

And are you sure you want to pay extra for CX Rays? https://www.novemberbicycles.com/blog...s-cx-rays.html

You might be able to get your wheels now if if go with White Industries hubs and standard double-butted spokes instead of CX Rays.
Old 08-01-13, 01:57 PM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just get Ultegra hubs like everyone else and call it a day.
If you're going to go that route, just get 105s. They're just about identical to the Ultegras.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.