Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Have any friends like this?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Have any friends like this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 02:26 PM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Like many of the others here, been there, done that. Time with friends shouldn't be confused with riding time -- you can have plenty of fun so long as you don't actually expect it to be like a ride. Here are some of the things I do (typically, I do at least 3 of these)
  1. Incinerate your legs as close as you can to the ride so the rest is a relief
  2. Invite others along. Regardless of the gender of your friend, make sure at least one of the riders is a less experienced woman. This will motivate male friends to do better since they'll resist being shown up and the women tend to show each other up
  3. Bring your slowest bike and lug a ton of gear, supposedly because it might be needed. Buy a few bottles of wine or other liquid along the route to add to that
  4. If it's just you and one other person, get them yakking nonstop. With their attention off the road, you can set an optimal pace and goals. I've been very successful getting people to ride much, much further than they thought was possible
Great answer and awesome list. Do your riding by yourself or with your regular riding buddies. Approach these situations like it is a social outing not a ride.

Also I try to be supportive and positive and just focus on having a good time. Who knows some of your habits and skills may rub off on him in time and he may become more serious about the sport.
Old 04-24-13, 02:29 PM
Dagamon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I will 'power pedal' a hill, in 4th, or 12th gear depending on the incline of the hill. It is because I tire out too easy in the lower gears on a hill. I use the lower gears to rest.
What the hell is 12th gear?
Old 04-24-13, 02:30 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Don't bet on it! My wife rides so slow, we go out on one of our tandems when we ride together. At least that way I'm assured of her always being with me, I'm not frunstrated with her slow pace and she's not frustrated trying to keep up. I have to admit, there have been times when I've seriously wanted to drop my wife on a ride.
Tandems require the right personalities.

I tried a tandem with my wife a few years back. First, the good news. She's very strong. We were dropping a lot of roadies on significant inclines which was a source of major aggravation for them. The bad news was the descents and flats. She cannot stand speed and is fearful. Anytime we'd break about 15mph, she'd reverse pedal as if the tandem had a coaster brake.

Worse still, she would not follow the lean of the bike, sometimes actively leaning against what I was doing. Her explanation was she didn't see any need for the lean/turn/whatever. On flats, she totally had the legs for us to maintain an excellent cruising pace, but she would get all crazy every time the bike sped up.

Climbing with her is fun, but the other parts aren't. I've run into similar problems skiing to the point that we don't ski together anymore.
Old 04-24-13, 02:40 PM
Condor637

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Bianci10's co-worker reads this thread all Hell is going to break loose .
Old 04-24-13, 02:49 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
Sounds like you sold him a POS Ridley that can't top 10 mph.
And here I thought they were supposed to be pretty good bicycles. Aren't they steel-framed bicycles?
Old 04-24-13, 02:50 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Condor637
If Bianci10's co-worker reads this thread all Hell is going to break loose .
I was going to say the same about Dallas's wife.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-24-13, 03:39 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Don't bet on it! My wife rides so slow, we go out on one of our tandems when we ride together. At least that way I'm assured of her always being with me, I'm not frustrated with her slow pace and she's not frustrated trying to keep up. I have to admit, there have been times when I've seriously wanted to drop my wife on a ride.
Shoot, I finally got my wife out on a short group ride recently, on her new mixte-frame hybrid (first adult bike ever, first geared bike ever, first bike in 20 years). She was going up those hills faster than me in some spots. But then again she's 80 lbs. lighter than me.
Old 04-24-13, 03:44 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol!! He doesn't read this forum. I've tried to get him on it but he doesn't care, just like when i try to get him to ride, he doesn't. BUT, today he called me while working and all he could do was talk about how much more fun it was after I adjusted his bike for him and he couldn't wait to get out on his bike again. He sounded super excited, but I'm not holding my breath. He already asked if we could ride again together next week and i said we would have to see what was going on, but if we did, we would be taking a flatter route.

we will see.
Old 04-24-13, 05:11 PM
Kurogashi
DessertS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
  1. If it's just you and one other person, get them yakking nonstop. With their attention off the road, you can set an optimal pace and goals. I've been very successful getting people to ride much, much further than they thought was possible
Yeah, what's up with this. As soon as we get yapping, they keep up. As soon as I mention they're keeping up, they 'notice it' and begin to slow down. Blows my mind, haha.
Old 04-24-13, 06:29 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
some people just need to start with smaller steps than others. Last year a guy showed up to a group recovery ride, who probably had not exercised in years and it was his first day on clipless pedals and needless to say had a horrendous fit on the bike. The 1.5-2 hour ride was torture for him. People were so jazzed to teach him all these things not realizing he was already overwhelmed (falling within seconds, cause the ride always starts up hill), but what he really needed was some alone time just to get used to the pedals, or even without to get used to the bike and even the most basic of fit would have helped.
Old 04-24-13, 06:49 PM
Gerry Hull
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you not problem,
No solution.
Screaming aloud
Because some poor slob seems to be no great talent on a bicycle-
..well, that's a little weird, if you don't mind my saying.
Old 04-24-13, 07:15 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
...My time to ride is very valuable to me because with 2 kids and a full time job, I have to get in my time when i can. He is a good friend of mine and i want him to get better and enjoy it (Especially since i got him into it) but I dont want to waste my ride time doing 7-10mph! Next time he asks me to ride, I'm gonna feel like telling him no, but I dont want to be rude.

How many of you got a friend into cycling but now dread it when they ask you to ride with them? Obviously we all have different priorities in life and cycling isn't everyones. Some people are fine just riding whenever they get the urge, while others make compromises to their daily life just to fit a ride into their schedule. But I find it can be PAINFUL to ride with someone who doesn't make any effort to condition themselves to be better/stronger.

I have a friend like that. Many years ago we used to ride at the same level. Since that time, I have become a better rider. He only rides once a week, for short distances and avoids hills like Lindsey Loham avoids sobriety. When he calls me to go riding with him I find myself looking for excuses not to go riding with him. It makes me feel sad for him because he is otherwise a real nice guy. But he refuses to make any efforts to ride more or improve his fitness. Incidentally, he has a very nice bike but the "poor thing" doesn't get to go out much.

Oh well.
Old 04-24-13, 07:25 PM
Gerry Hull
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, that was not very respectful. And, the fact is ive found myself near to yelling over many similar situations.

they all revolve around trying to help someone

which often leads to disaster. That is normal.

Then you have to figure out how to escape. That's where you are.

Honesty works best, always.

It does not appear you have tried that yet.

I typically save it for last, myself, and always wish I'd used it sooner.
Old 04-24-13, 08:19 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All of my friends that ride are pretty hardcore about it. I have some friends that don't ride, but even my slowest riding partner does a few century rides every year.

When I ride with him, I wait for him after some climbs, but it's never because he's not trying to keep up. When he and his 22 year old son are on one of his tandems, I'm always wheel sucking on the flats.
Old 04-25-13, 04:20 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
lol!! He doesn't read this forum. I've tried to get him on it but he doesn't care, just like when i try to get him to ride, he doesn't. BUT, today he called me while working and all he could do was talk about how much more fun it was after I adjusted his bike for him and he couldn't wait to get out on his bike again. He sounded super excited, but I'm not holding my breath. He already asked if we could ride again together next week and i said we would have to see what was going on, but if we did, we would be taking a flatter route.

we will see.
tell him to meet you on the bike at a location where he will have to ride to first.
Old 04-25-13, 10:30 AM
the fly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some people are just like that.

I have a friend who constantly bails on going to the gym. Facebook, family, extended family, aquaintances with emergencies, all suck the time out of his life, meanwhile he sits around 150 lbs overweight and is taking years off his life.

I would bet your friend likes the idea of riding, but it's just way down on his priority list. I'd keep trying if he needs to ride to get into shape, otherwise I'd just regale him with my tales of fantastic times on the bike. If he doesn't get the bug, that's not your problem.
Old 04-25-13, 10:42 AM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
FWIW, I also have 2 kids and a full time job. After years of trying to coach myself, with mixed results, this year I signed up with a coach. I am actually riding less, resting more, and getting faster and lighter than I have since the kids were born. The thing is that my hard days are much harder and my easy days are much easier. Like barely breaking 125w. Just spinning along in the small ring, enjoying the ride. Your rides with your friend would be perfect for that.
Hey cal - I'd like to know more about what your coach has you doing. Mine has me riding much more, but easier. I'm trying to figure out how the extra time is going to work this summer.

As for the rest, I try to limit the time I spend on the bike with the friends who can't hang. They also know that I have limited time and different goals. When I do go, I know what it's going to be. The frustrating part is doing the centuries with them. I want to be there to encourage this activity that I love and which I can share with them, but damn... 6+ hours in the saddle and 8+ from start to finish to go 100 miles is a lot of time I'll never get back.

Last edited by island rider; 04-25-13 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-25-13, 11:17 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
This comes down to expectations.

If I want to get a workout in, I try to ride with people I know are experienced and about my strength level (preferably slightly stronger than me).

If I rode with a friend who was a beginner, I wouldn't expect to get a good workout in but I would expect to be teaching them what to do. I would establish this expectation before the ride: the distance, the pace and the fact that they should listen to me. I'd emphasize that I take cycling seriously and don't necessarily see this as exclusively a social opportunity. I would emphasize that the ride will probably be harder than they expect. If they didn't agree, I don't think I'd ride with them and that's absolutely fine. If they did agree and then ignored me like the OPs friend did, I'd probably immediately stop the ride and refer back to these expectations. I know friendship makes this tricky, that's why expectation setting is critical. It's best to be clear up front.
Old 04-25-13, 11:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by island rider
Hey cal - I'd like to know more about what your coach has you doing. Mine has me riding much more, but easier. I'm trying to figure out how the extra time is going to work this summer.

As for the rest, I try to limit the time I spend on the bike with the friends who can't hang. They also know that I have limited time and different goals. When I do go, I know what it's going to be. The frustrating part is doing the centuries with them. I want to be there to encourage this activity that I love and which I can share with them, but damn... 6+ hours in the saddle and 8+ from start to finish to go 100 miles is a lot of time I'll never get back.
Without going into too much detail, right now it's a heavy diet of 3' on-off intervals and 15" all-outs. 4 days of hard riding/3 days of recovery or off the bike. Sharpening the sword as we get into NorCal crit season.
Old 04-25-13, 12:59 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
How many of you got a friend into cycling but now dread it when they ask you to ride with them?
He's just not that into [strike]you[/strike] biking.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-25-13 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-25-13, 01:05 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
He's just not that into <del>you</del> biking.
BB code 'strike' now works on this board.
Old 04-25-13, 01:16 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have never said to anyone "Let's ride together" and rarely do I say yes when someone says it to me (the last time I said yes was maybe 8 years ago). This is my time and I don't care to share it with anyone else except my wife whenever she wants to go but NEVER with anyone else.
Old 04-25-13, 04:13 PM
JamieElenbaas
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried a tandem with my wife a few years back. First, the good news. She's very strong. We were dropping a lot of roadies on significant inclines which was a source of major aggravation for them. The bad news was the descents and flats. She cannot stand speed and is fearful. Anytime we'd break about 15mph, she'd reverse pedal as if the tandem had a coaster brake.
Ha, ha. My wife's not so strong, climbing is hard work for me on the tandem, but boy does she love speed. She's disappointed that we haven't topped 50 MPH in a descent yet. In the flat, once we're going above 25 MPH, I swear her output goes up by 30%, she just gets off on the speed. She really powers up when we're passing other bikes...

I guess if I had my choice, it's more fun to ride with the speed daemon.

BTW, we too ride a tandem because of our speed differential on singles. Without the tandem we'd never ride together.
Old 04-25-13, 05:46 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 558 Posts
I don't mean to be overly critical, but you should have helped set up your friend on the Ridley when you first sold it to him. Now that he's more comfortable on the bike, he'll be more inclined to ride. I think you owe it to him to take him out again, at least to show him the ropes and teach him how to pace himself. Flat recovery ride sounds like a good idea. Maybe he won't always be a noob.

This thread reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once: "Just because I'll sleep with you doesn't mean I'll ski with you." Cycling can be like that, too. Personally, I wish my wife was more interested in cycling, but she has no desire to go for any long/hilly rides--or any exercise that might involve sweating.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 04-25-13, 07:38 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I don't mean to be overly critical, but you should have helped set up your friend on the Ridley when you first sold it to him. Now that he's more comfortable on the bike, he'll be more inclined to ride. I think you owe it to him to take him out again, at least to show him the ropes and teach him how to pace himself. Flat recovery ride sounds like a good idea. Maybe he won't always be a noob.

This thread reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once: "Just because I'll sleep with you doesn't mean I'll ski with you." Cycling can be like that, too. Personally, I wish my wife was more interested in cycling, but she has no desire to go for any long/hilly rides--or any exercise that might involve sweating.
I DID! then he went out andthought he needed the seat higher. Didn't like the bars so he rotated them up a bit. I set it back up for him this second time and told him to leave it alone since he didn't know what he was doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.