Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-08, 09:49 AM
gdogsjunk

Bikes: bianchi giro - in the market for Jamis, Cannondale or Felt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OC routes

I would love to hear more about your routes in OC. I just moved down from SF and I'm having trouble finding the windy, tree-lined roads of the Bay Area. Most of my rides around here have been riddled with cars and congestion. Any suggestions you have would be great.

Finally, what is your bike shop of choice in these parts?

Gdog
Old 04-10-08, 09:55 AM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to OC and Bike Forums!

Was there a particular type of ride you were looking for? Flat? Hilly?

I'm a fan of Rock 'n Road Cyclery.
Old 04-10-08, 10:39 AM
WhiteCarbonDude
aka. vertical jon

Location: Anaheim, Home of the Los Angeles? Angels of Anaheim... in Orange County?

Bikes: White Carbon Token, Cannondale Mtn, 1975 Peugeot UO-8 Golden Fixed Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gdogsjunk
I would love to hear more about your routes in OC. I just moved down from SF and I'm having trouble finding the windy, tree-lined roads of the Bay Area. Most of my rides around here have been riddled with cars and congestion. Any suggestions you have would be great.

Finally, what is your bike shop of choice in these parts?

Gdog
Welcome Gdog,
I don't know what kind of riding you do but I ride with this group a few times a month.
OCW Saturday Century Group
It's a great bunch of guys and some gals. Join the email list and come to the rides.

Jon
Old 04-17-08, 11:53 PM
squeegy200

Bikes: Colnago Altain, Klein Pulse II, Stumpjumper FSR, GT Zaskar LE, Pedalforce RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iamtim
I would *love* to get my hands on one of those WordPerfect jerseys.
I watched eBay for two years before one showed up in my size.

100% Pure poseur to match the Team Wordperfect paint job of the bike

06 NYCbikes Single Speed (John Deere Special)
Old 04-28-08, 12:35 PM
SawTomorrow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi. my name is luis. i've been riding fixed for a couple years now and have been posting on lafixed since september.

i've been "running" but not really, the long beach crtical mass since octoberish, i thinks and have started a ride out of whittier (and roving 562 locations) called (5fix2).

5fix2 is first monday of each month: medium fast 30 mile ride and the remaining mondays of the month are social, pace slow-medium, about 15 miles long, and we take a vote to make it an outright booze cruise.

about 1 sunday a month we do a roving location daytime start thang. may's ride is may 25, 11am, starting at mimo's in uptown whittier, riding to santa fe damn, bbq, swim, and ride back.

me:
Old 04-28-08, 01:52 PM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Luis!!

Welcome!

Make sure you check out some of the sub-forums, too...like Mechanics and Classic/Vintage...

(And say Hi to our resident fixedpert Roadfix)
Old 04-28-08, 02:03 PM
DaveSANYYZ

Bikes: 1999 Norco ht mtb/2006 C'dale road bike/2007 Colnago CLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, Luis!

I'm the guy on the geared bike in the "Save Dave's Face" ride.
Old 05-05-08, 05:05 PM
333foto
misanthrope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm max, from Los Angeles. here are a couple of things i ride:

2005 Pista Concept

and a merckx chm carbon road bike.

Last edited by 333foto; 06-03-08 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-09-08, 10:56 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! Nice bikes!
Old 05-09-08, 02:42 PM
roadie114

Bikes: 1999 Marin Nail Trail, 2008 KMX Typhoon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dan from Redlands

Hey everyone, I've been mountain biking on and off for a few years, and just purchased my first recumbent. It's a KMX Typhoon trike. I recently discovered the SART that goes all the way out to San Bernardino and will be riding that regularly. Normally I'm out on my motorcycle on weekends, but figured I should probably get into better shape and get some exercise again. So if anyone's local or interested in riding, let me know!! See ya!

Old 05-19-08, 03:52 PM
hendrick81

Bikes: 2006 caad8, 2010 caad9 1, 2011 caad10 4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
My name is richard, im 26, i live in san luis obispo, and i ride an "08 trek madone 4.5". Any other san luis obispo people here????
Old 05-20-08, 12:35 AM
Nerdanel 
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am Nerdanel and I live in and ride (mostly) in the San Fernando Valley. I commuted to work (via Red Line) pretty regularly through April, but I'm an academic and don't have to commute at all over the summer. I have a comfy Giant hybrid bike and, having read a bunch of threads defining the term, I guess I'm a Fred or, I guess, a Doris. You be the judge:
Old 05-20-08, 09:18 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Welcome to my house, new members!!
Old 05-20-08, 09:45 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hendrick81
My name is richard, im 26, i live in san luis obispo, and i ride an "08 trek madone 4.5". Any other san luis obispo people here????

Hi Richard Welcome...

You live sort of borderline between Northern and Southern Cal. You might try asking on the Northern Cal subforum, too.
Old 05-20-08, 09:48 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerdanel
I am Nerdanel and I live in and ride (mostly) in the San Fernando Valley. I commuted to work (via Red Line) pretty regularly through April, but I'm an academic and don't have to commute at all over the summer. I have a comfy Giant hybrid bike and, having read a bunch of threads defining the term, I guess I'm a Fred or, I guess, a Doris. You be the judge.

Welcome Wilma!

Did you score some free stuff recently on the Red Line?
Old 05-20-08, 09:53 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi roadie114 ! Be on the look out for this guy...
Old 06-02-08, 11:03 PM
John R
so cal com

Bikes: Trek hybrid commuter, Specialized Tarmac, Cannondale Cad 6, Shwinn Homegrown MB, Specialized FSR MB Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All
I'm John, I live in Yorba Linda, I commute to Westminster everyday, I ride the Santa River trail from Yorba Linda Blvd to 17th street Santa Ana then across to Golden West. I do a killer training ride every Saturday morning. This ride starts at Noel Ranch and Santa Canyon road. It goes through Orange, Tustin, Irvine, Mission Viejo, Live Oak Canyon, Santiago Canyon, Silverado Canyon, then back to Orange. I do Como Street or race on Sundays.
Ride unil you drop....John
Old 06-06-08, 09:24 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi John

Welcome! That's quite a commute!
Old 06-06-08, 07:24 PM
Chilero

Bikes: 78 Gios Super Record, 74 Colnago Super, 54 Hetchins Vade Mecum, 50's Royal Nord Commander, 67 Atala Record, 80s Univega Italsport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

I'm Carlos. I've been riding a road bike mostly seriously for 35 years with a couple of 3 year breaks, first time due to a knee injury and then as a newly wed. Good thing is my wife quickly picked up cycling (no coaxing on my part) and now is my most regular cycling partner. My oldest son, 23 years old, is also a roadie and actually races. I have 16 year old twins (boy+girl). Girl rides a beach cruiser and Boy was hit by a car that ran a stop sign two weeks ago, while riding his mountain bike. He's okay, though his bike is a complete loss with a broken fork, crumpled frame, bent wheels, broken skewer, etc. You know what? The Giros helmet my oldest son got him the week before saved his life... that thing is broken where the car hit him and where he hit the pavement.

I have a numerous extended family of roadies, some do triathlons and many are marathoners, so its easy to get a group together. Mostly we ride north along the L.A. river (Lario Trail), then along Rio Hondo. Sometimes when we're feeling brave we continue north until the dam and head east for a couple of miles until we join the San Gabriel river, which we ride south to P.C.H., then head north along the beach bike path and finally join the L.A. river again to complete a 52 mile loop. On rare occasions we extend that ride to 70 miles. A few times a year we do charity rides, our favorites are the Solvang Prelude, Solvang Century, and Tour de Palm Springs. This year we did the Tour de Sewer. When I was much younger I did crazy things like the Davis Double and once I rode from Canada to Long Beach.

My usual ride is a '05 Jamis Eclipse, a combination carbon/Reynolds with mid-range Campy. I like it because it's very comfortable for centuries and very stylish traditional frame but good enough for fast group rides... and maybe even local crits? I'll know at the end of this month, my first race since college. I also own an '85 De Rosa (Campy SR) which I kinda ride every once in a rare while, a vintage '85 Trek (very clean, original paint in very good condition and Campy SR) which I plan on selling soon (anyone interested?), and another couple of vintage bikes in process of being restored.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to have raced and lost, than never to have raced at all
Old 06-07-08, 02:51 AM
The_Spaniard

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the names Pol, i live in san diego, bike around mira mesa and sorrento valley, usually biek around calle cristobal to sorrento valley rd. not very long i know but i just started and i ride for sprint triathlons at the moment. heh. nice to meet you all.
Old 06-07-08, 12:52 PM
Ryon
Lanky G-Raf

Bikes: Giant TCR0 aluminum/carbon with ultegra components. Sintesi (Italian) lugged steel road bike, circa 1987.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My name's Ryon (pronounced however you want). I am currently graduating from UC Irvine and I do the group rides with the cycling team here at UCI. My favorite is como, by far. During the week I ride combinations of backbay, PCH, and the hills around newport coast (newport coast drive, pelican coast, vista ridge, ridge park, etc...) This is what I look like on a bike, pulling, and hurting haha:

I'm a big guy, so people like my wheel. I'll be moving to the UCSD area in a few weeks for work, so I'll be looking to meet up with new people to ride (and have Tour de France parties). I'm looking to start the Swami's ride, and also training for the camp pendleton olympic distance triathlon on July 19th. If you want to ride, let me know!
Old 06-12-08, 06:01 PM
adpikasey
:)

Bikes: TREK 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! I'm Kasey, 29 yrs old.. and I road bike.. mainly throughout Oc. I live by the SA River bed. Let's ride!!

No really... here is me in action!

Old 06-15-08, 10:23 PM
novas

Bikes: marin larkspur, gary fisher tassajara, Cannondale CAAD9, and RIP to my old steel clunker miyata road bike from the 80s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
n00b

hi, i'm nicole. new here. and relatively new to california. last june i moved from the midwest out to the LA area for a job and i'm loving it.

i ride road, mountain (although not as much since moving out here) and i commute most of the time on my bike. my haul is from hermosa beach into east torrance/carson - about 8 miles, one-way. i do it on a marin larkspur, which is great for the commute because i can carry all my crap on it, the tires/wheels are great for the crap roads i ride on, and it's reasonably light so it doesn't slow me down too much.

people at work like to laugh when i walk in wearing padded, spandex shorts.

anyway, i do most of my riding around the south bay area of LA, so if anyone is around these parts, hello to you!

Last edited by novas; 06-15-08 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-15-08, 10:27 PM
efficiency
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryon
I'm a big guy, so people like my wheel. I'll be moving to the UCSD area in a few weeks for work, so I'll be looking to meet up with new people to ride (and have Tour de France parties). I'm looking to start the Swami's ride, and also training for the camp pendleton olympic distance triathlon on July 19th. If you want to ride, let me know!
There are a few people that live in that area on this board. If you spend anytime at the SD Velodrome, I may run into you.
Old 06-16-08, 10:32 AM
Chilero

Bikes: 78 Gios Super Record, 74 Colnago Super, 54 Hetchins Vade Mecum, 50's Royal Nord Commander, 67 Atala Record, 80s Univega Italsport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by novas
people at work like to laugh when i walk in wearing padded, spandex shorts.

anyway, i do most of my riding around the south bay area of LA, so if anyone is around these parts, hello to you!
Hi Nicole,
I commute to Torrance from Long Beach twice a week 10 miles each way. Like a million (I wish) others that commute in spandex, I used to get stares; after three years they've come to accept me and I've managed to convince others to start riding as well. This summer I hope to revive our Friday afternoon social rides, easy just-for-fun rides with a beer stop half way.
Welcome to SoCal and the South Bay!
Carlos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.