Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I want to support my LBS...but dang$$$

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 04:39 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts

Went to my LBS (not a PB) today with the intent of buying a new set of bibs. Figured I could get something for around $75-80. The cheapest they had was $100, only one, a Pearl Izumi, and it wasn't my size. Everything else was about $120-250. This is a really big store with a HUGE selection of clothing. Their cheapest jerseys were about $85. Time to shop online.
Old 04-28-12, 04:53 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya know what, it comes full circle. We hang out, eat, drink and ride together and when I have an issue with my bike...it gets fixed no questions asked and they put it to the front of the line if I really need it. They appreciate it and it may cost a bit more but it's rewarding, and im a huge penny pincher
Old 04-28-12, 04:53 PM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Consider it an investment. Pay the extra $20 on bibs and you'll receive dividends later.
Old 04-28-12, 04:54 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Canari warehouse sale is the second Friday in May. I think a set of Canari bibs with their best pad is $40.00 at the sale.
Old 04-28-12, 04:55 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thing is, if they don't have it they dont have it. They can't blame you for not stocking enough stuff. I would ask if they can order you something first
Old 04-28-12, 04:56 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
The Canari warehouse sale is the second Friday in May. I think a set of Canari bibs with their best pad is $40.00 at the sale.
You get what you pay for.
Old 04-28-12, 05:07 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
ya know what, it comes full circle. We hang out, eat, drink and ride together and when I have an issue with my bike...it gets fixed no questions asked and they put it to the front of the line if I really need it. They appreciate it and it may cost a bit more but it's rewarding, and im a huge penny pincher
I'm not looking to build a relationship with my LBS. When I was looking at purchasing my latest bike, I gave them first shot and their bikes were so expensive that it took about 15 minutes of looking around before I left the store. When I was shopping for new shoes, I gave them a look and the shoes I ended up buying for $120 at another place were $199 at my LBS.

I don't mind spending a few extra bucks locally, but dang, you have to at least be competitive. I know it's an old 41 complaint, but I just felt like venting.
Old 04-28-12, 05:07 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by therhodeo
I'm cheap, but not that cheap.
Old 04-28-12, 05:08 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
I'm not looking to build a relationship with my LBS. When I was looking at purchasing my latest bike, I gave them first shot and their bikes were so expensive that it took about 15 minutes of looking around before I left the store. When I was shopping for new shoes, I gave them a look and the shoes I ended up buying for $120 at another place were $199 at my LBS.

I don't mind spending a few extra bucks locally, but dang, you have to at least be competitive. I know it's an old 41 complaint, but I just felt like venting.
if they suck they suck....
Old 04-28-12, 05:15 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by simonaway427
Consider it an investment. Pay the extra $20 on bibs and you'll receive dividends later.
$20? Hardly.

$120 or more for good bibs.

Tires that an LBS in the US gets $70+ for can routinely be found online for $35 or even less.

The US retail bicycle industry is seriously broken.
Old 04-28-12, 05:19 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If this is where I think it is, I did the same thing a couple weeks ago.
Old 04-28-12, 05:23 PM
plpete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me personally it comes down to the people that work at the LBS and customer service. The shop where I had my fit done had a really cool guy for a fitter. We got along well and I felt comfortable with him. He explained to me any part that he suggested to purchase during the fit and said if something changes it's no problem to return it. On the other side I had not so good experience with some of the sales people at the same place. I got one smart ass remark when I was "just" getting some new bar tape and also when asking advice on a frame set. Feels like that unless Im dropping major coin on a new Cervelo or Cannondale I might as well keep walking. Another LBS i found carries nothing but high end bikes and Assos clothing but the service is top notch no matter what you need. When I had my headset adjusted there before a ride the mechanic walked away from another bike and took care of me right away and invited me to their group ride next weekend.
Old 04-28-12, 05:24 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Not necessarily true. The $25 shorts I bought from the Canari sale are better than the $100 Pearl Izumi shorts I bought a few years ago. These Canari shorts would easily sell for $95 -$100 at their regular price. I bought four pair for $100 that were part of a cancelled custom order for a bike shop. So, I need to wear some bike shop's advertisement.

The shorts I bought are eight panel shorts with their best pad in them. I have been wearing them for more than year and I have no complaints with them.

Last edited by Carbon Unit; 04-28-12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-28-12, 05:30 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
If you pay twice as much on bibs so you can hang with the guys, methinks you are not a penny pincher. If you want to pinch pennies, maintain your own bike, don't expect premium service just because you give that shop money. The way the economy works has changed drastically with e-commerce, and an LBS's refusal to change their modus operandi will be their downfall.
Old 04-28-12, 05:34 PM
vermilionx

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the reasons i like performance.

They price match online.
Old 04-28-12, 05:37 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by plpete
For me personally it comes down to the people that work at the LBS and customer service. The shop where I had my fit done had a really cool guy for a fitter. We got along well and I felt comfortable with him. He explained to me any part that he suggested to purchase during the fit and said if something changes it's no problem to return it. On the other side I had not so good experience with some of the sales people at the same place. I got one smart ass remark when I was "just" getting some new bar tape and also when asking advice on a frame set. Feels like that unless Im dropping major coin on a new Cervelo or Cannondale I might as well keep walking. Another LBS i found carries nothing but high end bikes and Assos clothing but the service is top notch no matter what you need. When I had my headset adjusted there before a ride the mechanic walked away from another bike and took care of me right away and invited me to their group ride next weekend.
Don't get me wrong. This shop has excellent service and the employees are always very polite and attentive. Their prices are just through the roof. I love to drop in occasionally and look around, check out the bargain bin, look at all the $5K-10K bikes, maybe buy some tubes, gloves or socks (stuff that really can't get that expensive). I try to shop there, but big items I get elsewhere.
Old 04-28-12, 05:40 PM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy some things from the LBS. Usually smaller items. I've never bought clothing there. But I often tip well for service, and he's always gotten to my stuff quickly. Sometimes I bring beer, which is always appreciated and gets me way ahead in the service line.

It's not that I don't want to support the LBS, but for instance: a Campy Chorus chain there is $80. I can get two for that price from Ribble in the UK. So I "appreciate" the LBS by tipping.
Old 04-28-12, 05:45 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
If you pay twice as much on bibs so you can hang with the guys, methinks you are not a penny pincher. If you want to pinch pennies, maintain your own bike, don't expect premium service just because you give that shop money. The way the economy works has changed drastically with e-commerce, and an LBS's refusal to change their modus operandi will be their downfall.
I don't buy my clothing there, I bought my bike there. I did buy some sugoi shorts there, that I don't wear, they were 130, they aren't comfortable so they called their rep and are either going to get me a better pair or give me my money back...I say the quality service is worth it. I'm a fan of good customer service, I like talking to people in person. E-commerce lacks personality, and i'm willing to pay a little to help out the local small businesses. I've bought some stuff online, got a deal, it didn't fit well but I don't like going through shipping to get a return and in the end I lose out on time and money.
Old 04-28-12, 05:52 PM
Right Said Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some purchases I just don't want to risk making online. For example, I paid full retail for my cycling shoes, but I also got a personalized fitting not only for the shoes, but also for the cleat setup. It was worth the peace of mind to know I wasn't going to blow out my knees because I didn't know what I was doing just to save $50 online.
Old 04-28-12, 06:35 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's no one answer to this. I bought a pair of PI Elite bibs at the LL Bean outlet for half price and tried to order a second pair of the exact same bibs from my LBS's website. A week went by and when they came in, they were the wrong size. The LBS gave me a pair of the next level up PI Bibs (the name escapes me) and then discounted it 20% for my inconvenience. That being said I will buy from Performance (online and in person) as well as the LBS.
Old 04-28-12, 06:48 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ask them what the Ranchos discount is then calculate whether you spend enough to make up the $40 membership.
Old 04-28-12, 07:20 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It rarely hurts to ask if they price match. I you are a casual customer some will take the easy sale.
Old 04-29-12, 02:09 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Went to my LBS (not a PB) today with the intent of buying a new set of bibs. Figured I could get something for around $75-80. The cheapest they had was $100, only one, a Pearl Izumi, and it wasn't my size. Everything else was about $120-250. This is a really big store with a HUGE selection of clothing. Their cheapest jerseys were about $85. Time to shop online.
$75-80 for bibs...LOL....I can't stand it. The cheapest Pearl SHORTS are about $50.

You can find them I suppose, good for two rides and one washing.
Old 04-29-12, 02:33 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Right Said Fred
There are some purchases I just don't want to risk making online. For example, I paid full retail for my cycling shoes, but I also got a personalized fitting not only for the shoes, but also for the cleat setup. It was worth the peace of mind to know I wasn't going to blow out my knees because I didn't know what I was doing just to save $50 online.
No offense intended, but these are shoes and cleats. It is not splitting the atom. We try to justify spending more than we need to when sometimes it is merely a case of not wanting to wait for shipping.

It really does boil down to how much you are saving. I will shop locally at a small premium, but there is a hard line to cross when it makes absolutely no sense paying $129 for shoes when the same are on sale online at $69.
Old 04-29-12, 02:38 PM
Right Said Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
No offense intended, but these are shoes and cleats. It is not splitting the atom. We try to justify spending more than we need to when sometimes it is merely a case of not wanting to wait for shipping
How do you get a mail order bike fitting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.