Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Got a free jersey from the LBS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 08:13 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts

I am very friendly with the LBS that I normally frequent; and the one where I bought my bike and send my friends to buy theirs.

Sent a text to the manager asking if he had any of their club jersey's in stock on clearance.

Manager told me to come on in and when I asked how much, he simply replied "go advertise for us for free, ride it well, and enjoy!"

The custom jersey is USA made by Voler (Race Raglan model) - I'd estimate $60-80 retail considering it is $70 for the non-customized version on the Voler website.

Attached Images

Last edited by WorldIRC; 10-18-12 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 08:16 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Waiting on the pic..

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 10-18-12 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 08:23 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Waiting on the pic..
See OP
Old 10-18-12, 08:29 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Ask him if he has any bikes on clearance.

Old 10-18-12, 08:30 PM
Crappymonkey
Guitar Master

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Trek store on Yonge?
Old 10-18-12, 08:31 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Ask him if he has any bikes on clearance.
They have tonnes; but not for free.

They have a 2011 4.7 Madone WSD (women) for $1799 CAD in Purple. My girlfriend will probably pick that up.
Old 10-18-12, 08:31 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by Crappymonkey
The Trek store on Yonge?
Ya! Unfortunately, it was their last one and coincidence that I had asked today.

I think they got them made for store staff and sponsored riders. I'm not sure if they actually sell them...

Last edited by WorldIRC; 10-18-12 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 08:39 PM
Crappymonkey
Guitar Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Ya! Unfortunately, it was their last one and coincidence that I had asked today.

I think they got them made for store staff and sponsored riders. I'm not sure if they actually sell them...

Cool. Didn't know they sponsored riders. I work just down the street near Davisville so I occasionally stop in there on my lunch break. Haven't bought anything more than spare tubes though.
Old 10-18-12, 08:42 PM
getaklug
Flying Ace

Bikes: '06 Diamondback Podium 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got two free shop bottles yesterday.
Old 10-18-12, 08:45 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by Crappymonkey
Cool. Didn't know they sponsored riders. I work just down the street near Davisville so I occasionally stop in there on my lunch break. Haven't bought anything more than spare tubes though.
Yes. They sponsor the Trek Canada team, as well as several other teams. Emily Batty is amongst their sponsored riders!

https://trektoronto.ca/ - Click on Race Teams
Old 10-18-12, 09:10 PM
Kurogashi
DessertS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want one
Old 10-18-12, 09:17 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by Kurogashi
I want one
Hopefully next season they'll have some for sale! I really don't mind "advertising" for them.

Matching bibs or shorts would be cool to have too; but they didn't have
Old 10-18-12, 10:01 PM
Gjc985

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish my local bike shop would do that
Old 10-18-12, 11:37 PM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My VERY LOCAL LBS told me I owe them $1 for putting air on my tires. Forget getting something for free.

/ end rant.
Old 10-19-12, 04:26 AM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW: I get internally irrate when someone comes in and asks/ demands (Not saying you demanded, but people have demanded it of me) that I put air in their tires. I will normally politely show them where the pumps are, ask if they know what to do, and demonstrate if they dont. But when it begins to get to the point of "Why don't you just do it for me" I will be more apt to charge them.
Old 10-19-12, 06:02 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
My VERY LOCAL LBS told me I owe them $1 for putting air on my tires. Forget getting something for free.

/ end rant.
You need a new LBS my friend, start looking fast and walk away form this bunch.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-19-12, 07:07 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
You need a new LBS my friend, start looking fast and walk away form this bunch.

Bill
Agreed. While $1 may cover their "labour costs", the mere thought of asking for that single dollar would be enough to turn me away.
Old 10-19-12, 07:40 AM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too bad the OP's free shirt says trek on it

on a side note, I recently bought 2 new cross tires from a shop and 3 tubes (total cost over $150) and I was having some trouble getting the rear tire properly mounted and blew out a tube in the process (my fault, I have experience with changing road tires but these were fitting wonky) so I went back to the shop to buy a new tube and brought the wheel and tire with me. I asked if he could put the tire on for me since I was having issues and he said he would but only if I paid a $5 fee.

Well, I said thanks but no thanks and walked out. I'll never buy tires or tubes from them again.
Old 10-19-12, 07:42 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Kudos to your LBS. I have a problem with the idea of paying a full $80 for a jersey that loudly advertises the bike shop. I just feel if they want me to advertise them wherever I go, then a discounted price is appropriate for them to get a billboard on my back. I also don't have any jersey's advertising European corporations I never heard of. The only jersey I've paid that kind of money for is for the club I belong to.
Old 10-19-12, 07:50 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by manutd
Too bad the OP's free shirt says trek on it

on a side note, I recently bought 2 new cross tires from a shop and 3 tubes (total cost over $150) and I was having some trouble getting the rear tire properly mounted and blew out a tube in the process (my fault, I have experience with changing road tires but these were fitting wonky) so I went back to the shop to buy a new tube and brought the wheel and tire with me. I asked if he could put the tire on for me since I was having issues and he said he would but only if I paid a $5 fee.

Well, I said thanks but no thanks and walked out. I'll never buy tires or tubes from them again.
Where do you draw the line for "free service" vs. "paid service". I've never seen a tire shop (cars) mount tires to rims free of charge (unless they inflate the tire cost and include it in that cost like some of the overpriced retailers do -- and even then, mounting tires (as opposed to changing wheels) is usually still not included). Most bike shops in Toronto charge $5-$10 for tube / tire installation...Just because there is a margin on the goods doesn't mean they should cut that margin and offer a totally separate service for free (installation).

Do you base that line on how long it would take? Do you base it on the skill involved with the labour?

I'm just trying to get an idea as to why you'd expect the shop to mount the tire for free and where that line is drawn.
Old 10-19-12, 07:54 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Kudos to your LBS. I have a problem with the idea of paying a full $80 for a jersey that loudly advertises the bike shop. I just feel if they want me to advertise them wherever I go, then a discounted price is appropriate for them to get a billboard on my back. I also don't have any jersey's advertising European corporations I never heard of. The only jersey I've paid that kind of money for is for the club I belong to.
There is another club that I am a part of. It is $199.95 for the year but includes the required OCA / CCA licensing fees (Ontario / Canadian Cycle Association) as well as the OCA / CCA required insurance + the vehicle that follows along all the riders in case of emergency / mechanics / water, and also includes a club Bib + Jersey.

I asked the shop how much for an additional club Bib / Jersey - normally $129.99 but he said he'd do it for $70 (grand total for the kit - Suarez brand). If they're comfortable, $70 is an excellent price for Bib / Jersey combo.
Old 10-19-12, 07:56 AM
Aeolis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish some random business would sponsor me around here. I'm a moving billboard in my town, would be good advertising.
Old 10-19-12, 08:06 AM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Where do you draw the line for "free service" vs. "paid service". I've never seen a tire shop (cars) mount tires to rims free of charge (unless they inflate the tire cost and include it in that cost like some of the overpriced retailers do -- and even then, mounting tires (as opposed to changing wheels) is usually still not included). Most bike shops in Toronto charge $5-$10 for tube / tire installation...Just because there is a margin on the goods doesn't mean they should cut that margin and offer a totally separate service for free (installation).

Do you base that line on how long it would take? Do you base it on the skill involved with the labour?

I'm just trying to get an idea as to why you'd expect the shop to mount the tire for free and where that line is drawn.
I'd say because I just spent over $150 on the tires and tubes that the 5min it would take the mechanic at the shop to put on the tire should be free.

I have gone to other shops and they've done small derailleur adjustments and other such work for free because they know that if they do this kind of service (i'm talking 5min jobs here not full servicing) then the customer will be back for more.

I'm glad I didn't pay the $5. Its wouldn't have been good value for money. I was just having a brain fart because I was tired when I was mounting the tire. I went home that evening and got it on with no issues and everything is good.

I know I'll be frequenting the other 2 shops in my town more after this kind of treatment. Its just the way I feel, personally. I know the shop shouldn't have to do something for free for me but since the other shops have gone above and beyond for me in the past I will go to them for my future purchases.
Old 10-19-12, 08:17 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Uh-oh...an LBS thread :
Old 10-19-12, 09:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by manutd
...the 5min it would take the mechanic at the shop to put on the tire should be free...the $5. Its wouldn't have been good value for money. I was just having a brain fart because I was tired when I was mounting the tire. I went home that evening and got it on with no issues and everything is good...
I want to suggest that your initial impulse to have the shop do this install was maybe, um, not in your best interests afterall.

Had they done this work ($5 or free), you would have passed up an opportunity to remove your wheels, inspect the rims and hubs, check out the rim strip, and ensure that the tires are properly seated and aligned to the stem hole. As a rider, I want to know personally the status of all of these each time the wheel requires service. Also, touch up the truing if needed. I don't want to hope that my wheels are good, I want to know.

Plus, shops have bigger fish to fry mechanically than a rider's tires...

Just my two cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.