Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Strange steering issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Strange steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 03:20 PM
swf8322

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strange steering issue

So, looking for some advice, have kind of a strange situation. Here is what's up:

-Finished building up a bike with the Nashbar touring frame/fork the other day

-As soon as I take it for a spin, it's clear something is wrong. It feels like an invisible hand is shoving the front wheel to either side at intervals. It feels like a challenge to go straight and not fall, and riding no hands is out of the question.

-I've had old bikes in the past that pull to one side or the other. It doesn't feel anything like that. If you've ever done the physics experiment where you hold a spinning wheel and turn it to feel the gyroscopic forces, it feels something like that, somehow. I have three other bikes and am a pretty experienced rider so I don't think it's my riding ability that's the issue.

-I immediately suspected the headset. I had my LBS install the cups, but I did the rest of the install. I redo it a couple of times, can't find anything wrong, but it does seem like it is oddly difficult to get the headset into the zone where it's not too tight but there's no play. In fact, there's always a little play. I experimented with riding the bike with the headset obviously tight or loose but the issue doesn't go away.

-I take it to my LBS, they fiddle with the headset for five minutes and agree that it seems "off", but don't have time to investigate that day and kind of imply that a new headset will be cheaper than them investing significant time into figuring out what's up.

-The headset is a new Cane Creek 10 series.

So, I'm a bit mystified by it all. Seems like the headset is at fault simply because I can't think of anything else that could cause this, but I can't find anything obviously terribly wrong with the headset. Also the fact that the problem is there even when the headset is way too loose makes me wonder if it's something else.

Before I order a new headset slash try to return this one, has anyone experienced anything like this? Does this sound like a "bad" headset? Or like something else is the matter?

Thanks for any help...

EDIT: before anyone asks, yes I have sufficient spacers extending beyond the steerer so the headset cap can preload the bearings. I am using an expander plug rather than a star nut for the moment until I cut the steerer to its final length (though I don' t know why that should matter).

Last edited by swf8322; 09-08-13 at 03:25 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-08-13, 03:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
I suspect it's the headset installation. The type of squirrelly steering you describe is characteristic of a tight or binding headset. That makes it stick/slip as you make the tiny corrections necessary to balance a bike. The handling along with your headaches adjusting point to a headset issue.

My first guess is that one or both bearings are upside down. Or a spacer is missing or something like that. Pull the handlebar stem, drop the fork and take a look.

One other possibility is the steerer rubbing in the lower bearing cup. This used to never happen, but these days some forks have the crown seat bulge extend too high, and overlap in the sleeve area of the lower cup. A high bulge combined with a thick walled headset will bind like yours. Test for it, by removing the fork and seeing if the bulge extends above the crown. Also insert the fork into the frame without the lower bearing and see if it's tight or even rubs the least bit.

If you have a fork/headset rub, the remedy is to use a reamer or half round file to open up the headset's ID enough to resolve it. Note: YOU CANNOT SAFELY REDUCE THE DIAMETER OF THE STEERER CROWN BULGE. SO DON'T EVEN CONSIDER IT AN OPTION.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-08-13 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 03:34 PM
swf8322

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first guess is that one or both bearings are upside down.
I guess that's possible....I've certainly checked. The bearings say "Aheadset" and then a part number on the outside. I assumed they were to be installed with the writing right-side-up. Could that be wrong?
Old 09-08-13, 03:37 PM
swf8322

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK just cross referenced this pic https://www.treefortbikes.com/images/raw/TF-HD0048-2.jpg with the instructions and it is clear I've installed one of the bearings upside down! Thanks FBinNY. Will report back.
Old 09-08-13, 03:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by swf8322
The bearings I'm talking about are pictured here: https://www.treefortbikes.com/images/raw/TF-HD0048-2.jpg. Interestingly, in this photo, they are green ring up, writing upside down (you can just make out an upside-down "A" on each). So maybe I did do it wrong...
The bearings are the same but asymmetrical, with an internal conic bevel on one side and an external on the other. The external bevel goes into the cup, the internal bevel fits the conic crown race, or centering cone on top.

On your headset the sequence from the bottom to top is: cone -cup-cup-cone. So the bearings would also mirror, one up, one down.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-08-13 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 03:45 PM
swf8322

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoops look like I edited as you were replying. In case case you're absolutely right, I installed one bearing upside down.
Old 09-08-13, 03:47 PM
FBinNY 

Whoops look like I edited as you were replying. In case case you're absolutely right, I installed one bearing upside down.
Could be worse, might have been both.

There's a lesson here, and that's not to be fooled by writing or assumptions, but to pre-assemble parts in your hand so you can see what fits where. Nine out 10 times, if you give them a chance the parts themselves will tell you how they are supposed to fit.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-08-13 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 04:23 PM
swf8322

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Could be worse, might have been both.

There's a lesson here, and that's not to be fooled by writing or assumptions, but to pre-assemble parts in your hand so you can see what fits where. Nine out 10 times, if you give them a chance the parts themselves will tell you how they are supposed to fit.
That's true. In any case, just rode around the block, feels normal now. Thanks!
Old 09-08-13, 04:44 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
What would we do without FB?

Old 09-08-13, 05:07 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Yeah. I for one is sure glad he's on this Board.

Now, if we can only have him solve this little "Syria" mess.
Old 09-08-13, 05:17 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Jed19
Yeah. I for one is sure glad he's on this Board.

Now, if we can only have him solve this little "Syria" mess.
Syria's easy, have you ever looked at the A&S forum?

Old 09-08-13, 07:25 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Here, here. Observation of how things fit together and interact with other parts is what makes one successful in working on anything mechanical. Following rote instructions works great when you're in a Park tool laboratory situation, but in the real world Murphy's law rewards the observation, manipulation, and logic.
Old 09-08-13, 08:25 PM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
looks like you found a LBS to avoid too........I would think they would have seen that.........
Old 09-08-13, 09:16 PM
acrowder

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Seriously. Besides the fact that he's knowledgeable, he's one of the few who will always be helpful without passing judgment or asserting superiority.
Old 09-08-13, 09:18 PM
acrowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thumpic
looks like you found a LBS to avoid too........I would think they would have seen that.........
I know people here just love saying this, but he said the LBS didn't really have time for it that day. Doesn't sound like they disassembled anything, just tried to make an adjustment. I'm sure they would have caught it if the bike had been left there.
Old 09-08-13, 09:27 PM
Thumpic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acrowder
I know people here just love saying this, but he said the LBS didn't really have time for it that day. Doesn't sound like they disassembled anything, just tried to make an adjustment. I'm sure they would have caught it if the bike had been left there.
I don't say anything because I love saying it; I say it because it's what I think. Maybe the LBS suggested it was installed upside down, but the OP didn't say that. They suggest a new headset instead of checking their cup installation. I stand by my statement.
Old 09-08-13, 09:39 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by acrowder
I don't know if they would have found the problem. The mechanic seemed to be of the replace instead of fix mentality. Here's the key sentence from the OP.

-I take it to my LBS, they fiddle with the headset for five minutes and agree that it seems "off", but don't have time to investigate that day and kind of imply that a new headset will be cheaper than them investing significant time into figuring out what's up.
Dry friction, such as the upside bearing would have caused is very characteristic, and any mechanic worth his salt should have felt it just by twitching the bar. Of course he might not have known the cause, but this isn't something that;s cured by replacing a headset. The sad irony is that they could have removed and replaced the headset without spotting the bearing, and the new one would have worked, validating their sloppy diagnosis.

The skills most lost in shops today relate to diagnostics. Mechanics cannot look at signs and translate those to possibilities. Also many mechanics are simply "component hangers" who can set up new equipment fine, but lack the fundamental skill and knowledge to solve problems and make stuff work.

Old 09-08-13, 09:51 PM
acrowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if they would have found the problem. The mechanic seemed to be of the replace instead of fix mentality.
True, but it's for him to decide. Only he knows exactly what was said there. You're right though, that does seem a lazy diagnosis.

The skills most lost in shops today relate to diagnostics. Mechanics cannot look at signs and translate those to possibilities. Also many mechanics are simply "component hangers" who can set up new equipment fine, but lack the fundamental skill and knowledge to solve problems and make stuff work.
You're right, in fact I was trained by someone who thought and worked this way. I'd say, "don't we have any spokes?" and his response would be "it's easier to just replace the wheel." Sad, especially because most people didn't doubt the diagnosis. I've always gone about things differently, but unfortunately that meant I had to teach myself (which is why I often end up here).
Old 09-08-13, 10:16 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thumpic
Hate to say it, but I agree. It would have taken a couple minutes to drop the fork and check out the bearings. Why look at it at all if you can't take 5 minute to check out a headset issue?
Old 09-08-13, 10:28 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Erwin8r
Hate to say it, but I agree. It would have taken a couple minutes to drop the fork and check out the bearings. Why look at it at all if you can't take 5 minute to check out a headset issue?
I'm more forgiving of that. The store might have busy, and a real evaluation could have been time consuming. Had the mechanic said "something's rubbing, but I don't have time to look at it" I would have been fine. But to imply (if he, in fact, did) that a new headset could be less costly than "fixing" this one shows that the mechanic lacks skill and knowledge, especially when you figure that a new headset means knocking off and replacing 3 pressed on parts.

These days too many mechanics are too quick to say "this is broken, you need a new one". I translate this to mean "this is broken, you need a new mechanic". Of course this isn't always true, some things can't be fixed, or at least not economically, but too many mechanics cannot fix anything.

I once watched a mechanic align a hanger twice. The RD didn't index right, so he removed it and used a Park tool to align the hanger. Installed the RD which still didn't work, so off it came, and the park hanger tool went back. Really, what did he think was going to change in the hanger alignment? Or didn't he trust his first effort?

Old 09-09-13, 09:22 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Here, here. ...
Grrrr, you awoke my inner grammar nazi. Why not tell us how to adjust breaks? If you speak loudly enough, we might all be able to here what you're saying.
Old 09-09-13, 10:23 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Grrrr, you awoke my inner grammar nazi. Why not tell us how to adjust breaks? If you speak loudly enough, we might all be able to here what you're saying.
You need this...don't ask why I have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
safe_image.jpg (7.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-09-13, 10:55 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You need this...don't ask why I have it.
Okay, that made me chuckle out loud! I thank you. I may have to steel that....
Old 09-09-13, 10:59 AM
acrowder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
Okay, that made me chuckle out loud! I thank you. I may have to steel that....
Not a spelling nazi apparently
Old 09-09-13, 11:13 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
So, you saw what I did there, huh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.