Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tread wear on road bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tread wear on road bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-04, 06:53 PM
bikeriderforum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tread wear on road bikes

I have had the same set of road tires for the longest time. The tread is still in great shape but wondered beyond normal tread wear, does anyone suggest replacing tires after a certain period of time beyond just visible wear? I have had the pair 2 seasons now and ride an awful lot. Appreciate the feedback!
Old 10-01-04, 10:54 PM
Cerberusgl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I the tires don't have any cuts in them and you aren't getting flats I would use them a little longer. Sunlight can damage tires if left outside. Although you would usually see craking of the sidewalls if exposed to the sun too much. What kinda milage is an awful lot?
Old 10-01-04, 11:43 PM
Homer

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg, Litespeed Atlas, Fuji Track, Trek Fuel 90, Felt S32 TT bike, Bianchi Axis '05, and a lot of older bikes...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the tire isn't suddenly possessed, flatting on every ride when you even get within 10 feet of glass or sharp thorns you're probably OK. When my tires are too warn out- I notice it first with more flats.

I routinely get nearly 2000 miles on Michelin Pro Race tires. I have chucked a few early- due to cuts through the casing. I haven't had a sidewall start cracking in anything in years. I'm 190 lbs- a big guy on the bike. When I have tires off, I flex the tread and sidwall looking for cracks.

After every ride, after I wipe the bike down, I put it in a bike stand and inspect the tire. If you have a little cut in the tread but not the casing you can put a drop of super glue in the crack, let the air out of the tire and tape it flat to the rim so the edges of the cut are pushed together. If the cut is 2-3 mm, when the glue dries you're ready to get to 115 to 120 PSI. The cut won't open up. If you don't do this- when you ride over gravel or small bits of glass and then line-up with that cut you will flat since it goes straight into the casing.

I don't boot tires after I'm home. If there's anything wierd with the casing of the tire, it's not going on my next ride.
Old 10-02-04, 01:17 AM
WorldWind
Hardtail

Bikes: Richey Everest, Supercomp, Richey custom handbuilt Road, and others.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your tires have tread?
Old 10-08-04, 02:22 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Several weeks ago I replaced a 2000 mile tire. The repacement (not sure of brand) was defective and the bead seperated after about 100 miles. The mech at the LBS offered to upgrade me to a "Specialized" if I'd pay the difference. The bad tire had a fancy tread pattern and colored sidewalls. The new an substantially more expensive tire was plain black, except for an obvious logo and had no tread at all.

In response to a question about the lack of tread the LBS owner allowed, "You may notice slightly less traction when riding hard on wet plate glass surfaces. Otherwise the tread makes no difference."

Since I live and ride in a desert, most of the plate glass roadways are usually dry. Thus I have noticed no difference at all.
Old 10-08-04, 04:20 PM
JavaMan

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, replace them when they are damaged or worn out. I've never seen tires that said anything like, "Best if used before 2005." I usually replace my tires because they have a split or tear, well before they are worn out. Gee, that's how I replace my kids' clothes, too.

While I'm on the subject, I rotate my tires every 800 miles or so, and once got almost 4000 miles out of one set. Ride 'em.
Tom
Old 10-08-04, 04:26 PM
jukt

Bikes: trek - lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tread is for looks only. Bikes don't hydroplane.

People want tread, wala, tread.

No tread on racing slicks for cars, and they do OK.

Last edited by jukt; 10-08-04 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 04:30 PM
rwg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jukt
Yeah, but they put rain tires on at the first sign of water on the track. B/c race cars and no tread and water = crashed car.

But race cars go an awful lot faster than bicycles. Even bicycles ridden by 53-11 alltheway (I think. I might be wrong about that last part).
Old 10-08-04, 04:38 PM
jukt

Bikes: trek - lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even bicycles ridden by 53-11 alltheway

No way, nothin' is faster than him. ; ]
Old 10-08-04, 04:48 PM
F1_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rwg
Yeah, but they put rain tires on at the first sign of water on the track. B/c race cars and no tread and water = crashed car.
Cars: flat profile traps water so they need tread in the rain
Bikes: "round" tire profile means water escapes with tread or not.

This is an old discussion... I remember as a wee lad when Avocet released their slick FasGrip tires as the first big push along these lines. We had the same arguments back then... if it was a problem there'd have been 100's of lawsuits by now.

Last edited by F1_Fan; 10-08-04 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-08-04, 05:17 PM
rwg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by F1_Fan
Cars: flat profile traps water.
Bikes: "round" tire profile means water escapes with tread or not.

This is an old discussion... I remember as a wee lad when Avocet released their slick FasGrip tires as the first big push along these lines. We had the same arguments back then... if it was a problem there'd have been 100's of lawsuits by now.
No arguments here. I just don't think it's a good analogy.
Old 10-12-04, 11:59 AM
Fat Hack

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by bikeriderforum
I have had the same set of road tires for the longest time. The tread is still in great shape but wondered beyond normal tread wear, does anyone suggest replacing tires after a certain period of time beyond just visible wear? I have had the pair 2 seasons now and ride an awful lot. Appreciate the feedback!
That sounds good; I only get about 1700 miles out of rear, although I'm about 185lbs.

I replace the front regularly, for safety reasons (I like a newish tire on the front to reduce risk of failure), but I don't replace the rear until it looks like I could risk getting regular punctures

Old 10-12-04, 12:41 PM
Maj.Taylor
World Champion, 1899

Bikes: Litespeed Vortex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jukt
But NASCAR does stop the race when there is the slightest moisture on the road surface. On the other hand, even in torrential downpours F1 pulls into the pit and tires with some serious tread are put on the machine. The physics regarding tread on car and bike tires are entirely different. If water is on the road surface, you very much do need tread on car tires. Not so for bikes, just as you say.