Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else stop to ask for directions?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone else stop to ask for directions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-15, 04:59 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I once stopped to ask directions on a century I was doing(wasn't sure if I missed a turn), but no one answered the door. It was a really rural area and not many residences around. I kept going the direction I was riding and eventually saw a marker letting me know I was still on the route.
Old 04-13-15, 05:23 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
Fortunately I had my phone so I was able to use the GPS to figure out where I was and where I needed to be.
I wondered when someone mentions phones. Nearly impossible to get lost with one.
Old 04-13-15, 06:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I rarely stop to ask directions, but may ask if someone stops and offers directions.

In February, I was exploring new routes along the McKenzie River, making my way home just after dark. And, unfortunately was reaching the edge of my maps. So, I stopped in the middle of a covered bridge (too bad they don't add map tables in there), and was peering at my map trying to get my bearings. Someone happened down the road, so I asked if two roads actually connected, and he said no.

Looking at the maps later, I think they did in fact connect, but the connection would not have been easy to do, a bit out of my way, and may not be well maintained.

It just reinforces the "never ask for directions" when one is given the wrong directions.

When I was in Italy, I was occasionally asked for directions. I guess I didn't look like a tourist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Goodpasture Bridge.jpg (97.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-13-15, 06:59 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
"Which Timmy's? The one coming into town, the one in the middle of town, or the one leaving town?"
That can be a problem in some locations ... fortunately for me this community only has one.

Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
One time in Vermont I asked a man how to get to Stanwood. In a typical laconic New Englander fashion he replied: This is the Stanwood road. It goes to Stanwood.

Charlie
Hilarious ... I can hear someone saying that.

Originally Posted by crazyb
I got lost once on some singletrack trails. There wasn't anybody there to ask. Just kept riding around till I saw daylight.
All the single track around here either goes up (away from the city), or down (towards the city). Can't get lost on the trails unless you like riding up.

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
I once stopped to ask directions on a century I was doing(wasn't sure if I missed a turn), but no one answered the door. It was a really rural area and not many residences around. I kept going the direction I was riding and eventually saw a marker letting me know I was still on the route.
My wife had a similar experience on a half century, found herself riding alone with no signs in sight. Fortunately for you it was a good call to continue and in her case she turned (must have missed the sign). Would have been a few extra miles otherwise.
Old 04-14-15, 11:49 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I wondered when someone mentions phones. Nearly impossible to get lost with one.
A few years ago my wife wanted to ride a self-supported century. We headed out and enjoyed a pleasant day in the coast range. Immediately after our picnic at a pioneer cemetery, we encountered three young men who were on a three-day tour to the coast. They had missed a turn and didn't know where they were. A cell phone would have been nearly useless since the nearest signal was twenty miles away and up a long steep climb.

Lucky for them, I had brought along a laminated map of the roads in the area (actually a photo of a large BLM map that is prominently placed at the junction where they had made their wrong turn). I ran into them in town a few months later. They had a great trip and appreciated the course correction.
Old 04-15-15, 12:18 AM
paleolith

Bikes: Vision R40

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Three years ago, I rode my bike from Tallahassee to Gainesville for my 45-year high school reunion. Since it's 160 miles by bike (145 by car but I added a few miles for interest), I stopped in Mayo overnight. You can look it up ... amazingly, there's a decent motel in Mayo.

But on the first day, going through Perry, I suffered a blowout on my rear tire. Tread separation ... looked like a manufacturing defect. I have touring experience, so I know to carry a spare tire. But when I went 'bent (some years after my last long tour), "spare tire" became plural, and I convinced myself I didn't really need spare tires.

Well, there's no LBS in Perry. Wal-mart had 26x1-1/4 tires but I needed a 26x1.25. Was glad I knew the difference. I managed to patch up the tire enough to limp the remaining 30 miles to Mayo, but I could only put about 30 psi or less in the tire or it would bulge and threaten to blow again. I pulled into Mayo after 9:00.

Next morning I got started about 10:00, but hadn't gone a couple of miles when I started hearing the chunk-chunk-chunk that meant the tire was bulging again. Spent about an hour by the side of the road stuffing it with pieces of tire, duct tape, twisted underwear, old nylon hose ... I even considered putting a hose clamp around the tire and rim for reinforcement. (Some people say you can fix anything with duct tape. I say man cannot live on duct tape alone; he also needs hose clamps and cable ties.) I limped on, now with less than 20 psi in the tire.

I had mapped out a route using a country road that parallels the highway, which has a good paved shoulder but is hot and boring. Came to a junction for which I had no notes and had not saved a waypoint. (I use my GPSr as a speedometer/odometer.) I took the turn away from the highway because I remembered there were connectors back to the highway (which I didn't want) and did not remember any roads turning away. I trusted my judgement even though I could hear people talking outside a house nearby.

You can probably guess how that turned out.

It was nearly an hour before I admitted that I was going the wrong way. I retraced back to the wrong turn. Now there were only a couple of people outside the house. A boy noticed me and called out that he liked my bike. (I get of a lot of that on a bent.) I asked which way to Branford, and a woman on the porch confirmed that I'd been riding "into the swamp".

This was only late April, but it was hot. (Four days later, on my way home on April 30, Tallahassee had an all time record high for the month of April.) For a short time there was a nice bike trail around the south side of Branford, but going east it turned into an obstacle course and I had to revert to the highway shoulder. That was after fixing another flat, this one unrelated to the blowout. But path and highway had equally full sun. Past Ichetucknee Springs, the path got better. It was dark by the time I got to Alachua -- I'd been averaging 6 mph (stops included) rather than my usual 8 mph, and had added about ten miles by my misadventure. I had good lights and would have ridden the remaining 10-12 miles, but I was worried that if the tire went totally bad, I might not have cell phone reception. I called my sister, who picked me up in Alachua. (She lives in Gainesville, in the house we grew up in.)

The next day, I bought a replacement tire and a spare tire for my rear wheel, and a spare tire for my front.

The return trip was hot but thankfully otherwise uneventful. I had spare tires but was happy not to need them.

So why the long story? To say that next time I'll ask for directions when I have a chance, before I get out into the middle of the swamp.

Edward
Old 04-15-15, 05:54 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I learned long ago that people can often give wrong or unintelligible directions sometimes. Going miles out of your way in a car is not so bad. On a bike it can be bad. I use a GPS.
Old 04-15-15, 08:40 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
This whole thread has been great. I had to ask directions in Woolmarket, MS 2 weeks ago. I'm going to buy a new Garmin 810 and have my wife read this thread if she questions the wisdom of my purchase. I thought about the 1000, but decided to not press my luck.
Old 04-15-15, 09:28 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
When I need directions, I ask the closest women ---> Siri
Old 04-15-15, 09:37 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I don't stop to ask directions. It's kind of a thing with me.

The one time I did ask for directions, we were mountain biking in the Wisconsin northwoods in October, we got lost, like idiots we had no lights, maps or compass, cloudy so no sun and it was getting dark, snow flurries were starting and we were lightly dressed. When a black bear passed in just in front of us and the wolves and coyotes were starting to howl, we thought it best to get some directions. Of course there were few to no homes to stop at.

Maybe one of these days, I'll learn.

J.
Old 04-15-15, 03:22 PM
LongT

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2009 Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 1989 Cannondale w/Campy Nuovo Record Components (mostly anway, now just on the trainer) and Easy Racer Recumbent (home made from plans)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was on a motorcycle, but as a referee in a bicycle race. I had to leap ahead to set-up medical control (drug testing). I somehow was directed off course by a cop. He either didn't understand or didn't believe I was part of the race. Anyway, I didn't know how to get to the finish. I stopped and asked a couple sitting on a porch how to get where I had to be, Killington Ski Resort. There answer "you are no where near there". I ended up with directions to the start and back tracked. Got there just in time to set-up medical control as the field finished behind me.
Old 04-15-15, 04:12 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Am low tech. Yes, have asked for directions a couple times since is started riding in the early 1970s.
Old 04-15-15, 07:04 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
In Boston, we do not give directions in terms of Tim Horton's, whatever that is. We use Dunkin Donuts. Example: Follow Comm ave, past two Dunkin Donuts. Turn right on Mass Ave, and continue
past a third Dunkin Donuts on the right. Turn left on Harrison Ave, just past Dunkin Donuts, and you'll arrive at Boston Medical center. See?

Now, as for asking for directions, you all know that doing so is a violation of man law, and it simply something we just don't do.
Old 04-15-15, 09:25 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Before living in Maryland, I lived in Alabama. A friend of mine told me her directions to a particular house included "turn left at the pregnant cow."
Old 04-15-15, 09:51 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by paleolith
Three years ago, I rode my bike from Tallahassee to Gainesville for my 45-year high school reunion ... there's no LBS in Perry. Wal-mart had 26x1-1/4 tires but I needed a 26x1.25. Was glad I knew the difference.

So why the long story? To say that next time I'll ask for directions when I have a chance, before I get out into the middle of the swamp.

Edward

I thought the above was a typo. What's the difference between 1.25 and 1-1/4?

And yes, an interesting experience that could have benefited from asking for directions.
Old 04-15-15, 11:17 PM
paleolith

Bikes: Vision R40

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
I thought the above was a typo. What's the difference between 1.25 and 1-1/4?
You should know about Sheldon Brown by now.

Edward
Old 04-16-15, 06:06 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
In the past? I decline to answer that question. Nowadays, I can push a button and ask, "Siri, where am I?" Or maybe, "Where's the nearest McDonald's?"
Old 04-16-15, 06:17 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Sorry for laughing about this one, I keep flashing back to the "Big Bang Theory" episode where Raj gets his new iphone. Developing a relationship with a voice........

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-16-15, 06:48 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
And its region dependent... I always remember asking for some directions in NYC. The guy looked at me like I had insulted him and said, "What am I --your tour guide? Get out a here"
Old 04-16-15, 06:54 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I have had good folks give me cold bottles of water and one lady went to her car and gave me a map.

Old 04-16-15, 11:52 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
And its region dependent... I always remember asking for some directions in NYC. The guy looked at me like I had insulted him and said, "What am I --your tour guide? Get out a here"
New York? Shouldn't that be "GETOUTTAHERE!"?
Old 04-16-15, 05:42 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I'm just crap on directions. I used to pack lots of map segments for every ride assuming I'd get dropped someplace far from home. Having said that, I've never asked for directions. It's not a guy thing or anything, it's just that I enjoy riding and figure if I'm not dead, I can keep riding until I recognize something. I do more hiking now and it's pretty much the same thing, only when I'm in the mountains I carry a DeLorme Inreach 2-way satellite communicator. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.
Old 04-17-15, 06:25 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Asking for directions is an example of how we all want to follow truth and rule out what is not.