Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 03-31-19, 02:17 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
110k on Zwift for 1:45+ at or over tempo, and one hour under. Then an hour of yardwork. Definitely OOM.

Zwift Sweat Removal Team on point though...

Last edited by furiousferret; 03-31-19 at 02:18 PM. Reason: pic too big
Old 03-31-19, 02:26 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
My dogs love it when I come in from a ride.

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-31-19, 03:08 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Just got home from the gym and I think I'm gonna skip riding today. It's way too nice out to spend the next few hours alone and suffering through threshold. I might try and squeeze some threshold in tomorrow.
Old 03-31-19, 03:14 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Did my first 300+ TSS ride in a while, solo on a windy day. Just under five hours, something silly like 3.2k calories. Pie time!

Demain, on roule!
Old 03-31-19, 03:30 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Did my first 300+ TSS ride in a while, solo on a windy day. Just under five hours, something silly like 3.2k calories. Pie time!
Nice work!
Old 04-01-19, 08:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,472 Times in 1,448 Posts
@Ttoc6 How were the one leg deads?
Old 04-01-19, 09:25 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Snagged myself a mighty fine full body ache cold. Took much of the last week as a rest period but I still feel reallllly odd. I did hit proper numbers on Saturday testing out my new FTP number at least, but I am definitely not right.
Old 04-01-19, 09:41 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Beast mode.

Old 04-01-19, 12:21 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did nearly 700 TSS over two days about 9 days ago. Barely ridden since due to life circumstances.
Hoping the bump in fitness isn't completely gone...
Old 04-01-19, 01:29 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Just got home from the gym and I think I'm gonna skip riding today. It's way too nice out to spend the next few hours alone and suffering through threshold. I might try and squeeze some threshold in tomorrow.
Tried to get threshold in today. Was even lower than Saturday, but close to ~90% (ish). Felt better after the effort but didn't have time for another, nor would it have gone well (most likely). It's tough to be doing a threshold type effort and seeing a number that is supposed to be right smack in zone 2 lol.
Rest week now. I got gym every other day, and the only riding planned this week is Friday, with the weekend off. Hopefully that'll be enough rest to come back at some kind of reasonable wattage.
Old 04-01-19, 03:04 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Originally Posted by ancker
Did nearly 700 TSS over two days about 9 days ago.
Ouch. My legs hurt just thinking about that.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-01-19, 03:24 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ouch. My legs hurt just thinking about that.
My FTP is probably set a little low, but not a ton. (Maybe just 15W low)
Old 04-01-19, 03:32 PM
revchuck 
OMC

34 minute recovery run this afternoon. Legs felt like wood at the start and heart was higher than normal.

I have four 200 TSS rides and another at 100 TSS this week, with another recovery run on the off day. Gonna be awful close to 1000 TSS for the week.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-01-19, 03:49 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I've done a couple of decent confidence-building rides in the last week, first being an hour at 300w for the first time in a long while. Then did two rides on Sat. and Sun. where I spent good chunks of time jumping hard for 8-10 pedal strokes every minute with z2ish pedaling in between. Sat. did 30 mins of jumping to 700+ and around 200 recovery, then Sunday felt so much better and jumped to 900+ for two ten minute blocks. Hopefully getting a little snap back.

Sunny King is April 13, so maybe about 7-8 more days of training that might actually play a role in performance there. Hopefully I can do two good aerobic workouts and a long neuromuscular workout before then.
Old 04-02-19, 07:32 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Cute dog @furiousferret. I'm going to be in Santa Cruz and Carmel next week during Sea Otter. Lots of fun riding for me. Probably impractical to try to meet up since you're racing, but message me if you have spare time.

I didn't ride much this past weekend on account of going to an Earthdog trial Sat and Sun and then dropping my chain while rolling down my driveway on Sunday and jacking up the derailleur on my TT bike. Missed a strength workout too (but got convinced by dog friends to start my doxie in scent work).

But behold the power of a weekend of rest: you rock your Tuesday workout. Was supposed to do 9 min at "max," followed by two 9 minute threshold intervals. Wasn't sure what to do for "max," I've been struggling to do 108% for awhile but last time rocked that. Decided to go for something like 110% and hit 111%. Which wasn't even "max," based on my HR sitting a few beats below threshold even at the end (on a trainer!). Felt good enough to target 103% at 98 rpm for the other intervals, again never got to threshold HR and rode two beautiful negatively split intervals.

Boo yah.
Old 04-02-19, 01:31 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I had enough time for a brief workout so just used the hill out of the driveway of the house and then up to the top of the neighborhood. I say hill, one is like 1:00 and the other 2:15 +/-. My 2:15 to 2:30 or so I did with just the amount of break time to ride tempo downhill to start, u-turn, and go. That'll do it too I guess.

Ride felt so forced for target power. Then, looked back at the ride, also overcooked the first 30-45 seconds. Still got in usable time in a usable way I suppose.

Like 260w NP for about 35min. I'll take it given the 1 minute-ish hill you can only coast down good for zero watts . It just felt really taxing versus that "I'm tearing this up" feeling. Too much yard work this weekend maybe. I moved three raised vegetable beds by myself on Sunday.

I signed up for my spring RR. I'll go do it. Feel kind of meh about it. Power is good, but just where I'm at right now in the head. It's not that I lack a sense of urgency or aggression, just that I'm not feeling super sociable lately. A RR isn't a social occasion, I'm just disappointed I was a moron and didn't watch the calendar better and am missing a relatively close-by time trial I could have done instead. I'd have gotten toasted at it, but it's probably going to be more my thing. It's not doable to do both the same weekend, and the RR is in my backyard anyway versus what would be a hotel stay.

I'll get my crap together this year on the TT bike and fit, then pick something else later.
Old 04-02-19, 04:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Weekend training was solid but I woke up on Monday with a slight sore throat. It got worse as the day progressed. Today, my throat was better and I tried a Fiesta ride. 1.5 laps and a threw in the towel. I will do piano intervals instead.
Old 04-02-19, 04:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 3,085 Times in 1,634 Posts
Piano intervals! Good call.

Today I performed some VO2 max intervals at a new power using my TT from the San Dimas stage race. It's only 6 w higher, but I felt it:

1x3': 124%
1x5': 111%
1x10': 103%
1x5': 112%
1x3': 122%
Old 04-02-19, 04:49 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Still cooked from the weekend, which is odd but there's a good reason for it. I've changed to a new position now that most of my hip pain is gone and it feels like I'm hitting different muscles on the bike; it feels right so hopefully this is a good sign. Those muscles also feel like they've never been used, lol. Looks like Tuesday Night is out, I may do it easy but no 'racing'.

After about 8 years I can't 'snap my hip' (slide muscles over my femur making a snapping sound) and it feels normal. Its been 8 years and I've tried everything so I'm still cautious about it. I've also dropped about 6,000 in medical bills to fix it.

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Cute dog @furiousferret. I'm going to be in Santa Cruz and Carmel next week during Sea Otter. Lots of fun riding for me. Probably impractical to try to meet up since you're racing, but message me if you have spare time.

I didn't ride much this past weekend on account of going to an Earthdog trial Sat and Sun and then dropping my chain while rolling down my driveway on Sunday and jacking up the derailleur on my TT bike. Missed a strength workout too (but got convinced by dog friends to start my doxie in scent work).

But behold the power of a weekend of rest: you rock your Tuesday workout. Was supposed to do 9 min at "max," followed by two 9 minute threshold intervals. Wasn't sure what to do for "max," I've been struggling to do 108% for awhile but last time rocked that. Decided to go for something like 110% and hit 111%. Which wasn't even "max," based on my HR sitting a few beats below threshold even at the end (on a trainer!). Felt good enough to target 103% at 98 rpm for the other intervals, again never got to threshold HR and rode two beautiful negatively split intervals.

Boo yah.
Sea Otter is on the fence because of the wife's travel. Between my on call (50% of the time) and my wife's travel it unfortunately cuts out the race schedule...probably like 75% I can't do. I'm okay with it now because my form isn't really there but its also a chicken and egg thing; if I race more, racing gets easier.
Old 04-02-19, 05:07 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Sea Otter is on the fence because of the wife's travel. Between my on call (50% of the time) and my wife's travel it unfortunately cuts out the race schedule...probably like 75% I can't do. I'm okay with it now because my form isn't really there but its also a chicken and egg thing; if I race more, racing gets easier.
Ive had a bunch of off-the-bike stuff messing with my schedule this year, plus less interest on my end in prepping for the State TT after last year’s schedule changes. I settled on only one real goal event this year, the National Senior Games TTs which are super short distances not really in my wheelhouse. You’d think all that would make racing less fun but I’m actually really enjoying it even more. I use the local 20k TTs as suits my purposes, might or might not race the 40k State TT depending on how I feel about doing when the time comes, will for sure race the NSGs short TTs in June and attach a mountain biking vacation to the tail end. Our shop-based local race team became a crit-oriented SoCal team, meaning I’m out.

Sometimes less is more. Less goals, less personalities, less pressure, less concern about the “health” of racing. Just doing what I find works for me and never looking back.

YMMV of course.
Old 04-03-19, 10:26 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did a hard gym workout yesterday and am sore, but I have hard intervals in the calendar for today! How many of you have attempted intervals when still experiencing some DOMS. How did it go?
Old 04-03-19, 12:12 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by chicagogal
Did a hard gym workout yesterday and am sore, but I have hard intervals in the calendar for today! How many of you have attempted intervals when still experiencing some DOMS. How did it go?
I find strength workouts on my schedule followed by a difficult interval workout (like maybe 10ish min at 108%, followed by a couple of 10 min threshold intervals) the next day frequently. Usually not a problem, sometimes it is.

Fatigue feels a little different to me in the legs and is a bigger issue with getting a hard workout done.

Its a fairly common thing for me to be unable to complete a workout exactly as prescribed. But that's just evidence to me that my workouts are appropriately hard. I don't sweat it one way or the other. I just do the workout and see how it goes.
Old 04-03-19, 03:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I am feeling better but not much juice in my legs and crapola HR response. I rode tempo up Mount Soledad and went home. I could start one of those old and slow threads and seek out sympathy. Instead, I took a couple of pics to post.

From the top of Soledad looking north over La Jolla Shores beach and Scripps Pier.

Looking south at Mission Bay and one can see the infamous Fiesta Island in the middle of the bay.

Changing the view south to look over Ocean Beach / Paciifc Beach with the Coronado Islands in the distance. The Coronado Islands are an interesting sailing route out and back from San Diego Bay.

Old 04-03-19, 03:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

If you squint and look very closely, you can see Tmonk and Hermes doing intervals on opposite sides of the island!

Nice pics @Hermes. I can't wait to take @Ttoc6 up here on Sunday to get some good views of the coastal half of the county.
Old 04-03-19, 03:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Fiesta intervals this morning, 2x20' at 97 and 99%. Felt much better during the second, a bit blocked up on the first.

I can never seem to get enough warmup for these when I attempt them the day after some anaerobic intervals. Lord knows I'm not getting up any earlier! Gotta get to work on time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.