Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

My wife bought a car

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

My wife bought a car

Old 08-15-19, 12:24 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
My wife bought a car

After just short of 2 years being car-free, my wife brought home a car this past weekend, a surprise she had been saving for several months.

My commute is 12 miles each way. I estimate I rode about 6,000 miles the first year, and about half that much this past year so far since I started telecommuting part-time. Public transport options here are very limited and most bus trips take much longer than a bike ride, but the bus doesn't go where my job is anyway.

She has offered me rides to/from work as often as I want. Not sure what I'm going to do. We had already spoken about her desire to get a car and I supported her, and still do. It's hard to live here without a car, and much more fun to have one.

I still think riding a bike is fun.

I don't know what I want to do yet. I'm sure enjoying the break from the commute. If it were shorter, I'd probably feel differently.

I want to take guitar lessons, real live ones with a real human teacher, no Skype. I don't think I want to haul my guitar and gear around on my bike.

I know this is commuting forum, not LCF, but my car-free days might be over unless/until we relocate.

There's not enough business to keep me busy full-time at my work unless I take on additional responsibilities, and the other work available for me to do requires my presence in the office, so no telecommuting. But the boost in my hours from taking on additional work would more than cover all the operating costs of my wife's car and then some.

Maybe it's time for a change.
Old 08-15-19, 12:40 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 724 Posts
There is no reason why you still can't ride to work. Ride and enjoy, and when you feel the need to drive the car, when the bike is not a reasonable option, take the car. You can now enjoy both. Don't overthink it, and simply enjoy.
Old 08-15-19, 12:54 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by phughes
There is no reason why you still can't ride to work. Ride and enjoy, and when you feel the need to drive the car, when the bike is not a reasonable option, take the car. You can now enjoy both. Don't overthink it, and simply enjoy.
Does it really seem like I'm "over" thinking? Feels like plain old thinking to me.
Old 08-15-19, 01:33 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Does it really seem like I'm "over" thinking? Feels like plain old thinking to me.
Yes, it does. I don't see any reason to give it any thought at all. Your wife wanted a car. She save for it, and bought it. You still own a bike. You don't have to change a thing. Relax, I'm not condemning you for thinking about it, just advising you to simply enjoy your life the way it is now. Be happy you have a good wife who saved for a car before buying it. You are a blessed man.
Old 08-15-19, 02:16 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
my wife came bundled with a car from the day i moved in with her back when she was still my fiance. i had been a LCF bachelor for over a decade prior to that.

she's not a LCF person by nature, and now that we have a 3 and a 5 year old, there are absolutely times when owning a car just makes life easier.

she works from home >90% of the time, and i ride my bike to work. i also have good transit options for when i don't.

i could conceivably just drive our car to work the vast majority of days because my wife rarely uses it, but riding my bike is 8 billion times more fun than driving around in chicago rush hour traffic.

TL;DR: if you like bike commuting and it works for you, then ignore the wife's new car and keep doing your thing.
Old 08-15-19, 02:31 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked 2,892 Times in 1,647 Posts
I want to take guitar lessons, real live ones with a real human teacher, no Skype. I don't think I want to haul my guitar and gear around on my bike.
Addressing just this one point in your initial post, decent guitars and amps can be had at extremely low prices via either Amazon or Craigslist, to name only two potential sources. I'd buy one of each and drive them over to leave with the guitar teacher so that I could ride my bike to my lessons.
Old 08-15-19, 03:37 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Addressing just this one point in your initial post, decent guitars and amps can be had at extremely low prices via either Amazon or Craigslist, to name only two potential sources. I'd buy one of each and drive them over to leave with the guitar teacher so that I could ride my bike to my lessons.
Thats a cool idea, never occurred to me. If I ever had a teacher who was cool with me leaving my gear, I’d just build a guitar for that purpose.
Old 08-15-19, 03:47 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Thats a cool idea, never occurred to me. If I ever had a teacher who was cool with me leaving my gear, I’d just build a guitar for that purpose.
Maybe you could build a guitar *for* your teacher to barter for lessons, and then it would be there to use during lessons.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-15-19, 05:52 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
After just short of 2 years being car-free, my wife brought home a car this past weekend, a surprise she had been saving for several months.
So, what car did she get?
Old 08-15-19, 07:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
You were pleased when you got rid of the car, and you're pleased to have it. I guess you're easy to please.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-16-19, 01:33 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
I don't think anybody is forcing you to drive it or ride in it everyday. Of it's purchased for long distances and for carrying lots of big bulky things, cars have their place and purpose. It could be expensive, but that's the cost of luxury and convenience.

Remember to drive carefully and don't be part of the problem.
Old 08-16-19, 02:41 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
You can get an ebike to help you out!
Old 08-16-19, 04:11 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by noglider
You were pleased when you got rid of the car, and you're pleased to have it. I guess you're easy to please.
@noglider

I don’t fight progress. Easy come, easy go. Works the other way around, too.
Old 08-17-19, 09:12 AM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Last year on my rides to work I would frequently go by a guy on a bike with a guitar on his back going the in the other direction. It can be done.
Old 08-17-19, 10:41 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Since we bought a new car, around 5 years ago I've driven it to work maybe a dozen times, including driving because of injuries. It's not all that tempting if you enjoy the bike commute, but it's nice to have the option if you need it.
Old 08-19-19, 09:00 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by FiftySix
So, what car did she get?
A Buick. It’s pretty nice. It was a granny’s car until granny got in a fender bender and they wouldn’t let granny drive anymore. So it’s got a ding but otherwise in nice shape.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 08-21-19, 06:08 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

The car is so nice, in fact, that I wonder why anybody would ever drive a new Chevy when when they could drive a used Buick. If you’re buying used anyway, why ever buy a Chevy at all, there are lots of used Buicks all over the market. At least here there are anyway. It’s a grandpa car but I don’t care. I was over my image thing with cars long before I went car free.
If you don’t feel good about buying an imported luxury car for whatever reason, Buicks are just as nice, maybe more reliable overall even. Great car. I’m very proud of her choice. She got one with a supercharged 3.8L. I hope it lasts a long time. If it doesn’t, I hope she gets another Buick.
I guess same could be said for Mercury, they were pretty nice too. I don’t have any brand allegiance, just more experience with GM cars and Toyotas Hondas. Never really liked the way Dodge cars looked so never gave em a chance.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 08-21-19, 06:28 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
We're pretty much a Toyota/Honda family with a pair of Mazdas sneaking in the last two decades. Sure I've owned Chevy, GMC, Ford, Mercury, and Dodge in my time but I haven't bought American since near the turn of the century.

However, last year we were offered a 2006 Mercury with 30,000 miles on it for a really good price. The owner was 96 years old and had decided to give up driving. That Mercury became my wife's car, and she sold her 2008 Honda to our 28 year old.

I offered the Mercury to our 28 year old, but she didn't want that low mileage beauty because it looks like a grandma's car. Too bad for her.

It turned out my wife grew to love driving this Mercury.

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-21-19 at 06:36 AM.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 08-21-19, 04:41 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
There is no sin in driving a car to work. Been a bike commuter since the dawn of time, and one of my favorite commutes involved 15 mile one way trip. Working 6 days a week allowed me to rack up the miles and get fit. When I had to haul very large items, I pulled them in a trailer. I also had a car for the icy road days.

Today I have a truck that sees less than 1000 miles a year and spends most of its time hauling yard waste and other people's furniture than getting me to places. Save up for a car, and then park it. Use it when needed. Just a sensible plan, especially in snow country.
Old 08-22-19, 08:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
You will be shunned over in the LCF.
Old 08-22-19, 09:59 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You will be shunned over in the LCF.
That's OK. Living car free was not a religion for me. It's sort of a shame - living car free was something that I learned a lot from and that really enriched my life. I believe a lot of people could benefit from losing the car, even if only for a year or two. The shame is that my experience with the "LCF" was that it felt like more of an exclusive club, kind of like a religion, or a weird subsect of a mainstream religion. In my opinion, generally we should be encouraging others to make responsible decisions about their health, the environment, and finances. Overall, I feel like LCF forum probably does more to discourage people than otherwise.
Old 08-23-19, 10:44 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Do what makes you happy on any given day. We have an electric vehicle which comes in very handy with small children and going together somewhere as a family when the subway and bus are impractical or just tedious. NYC public transit will get you anywhere but very often I can get there much quicker riding. I commute via bike 21 miles round trip to work most days and probably use the car only 3-4 dozen times per year when the weather is awful or something else comes up. The option is handy and practical. Enjoy the best of both.
Old 08-24-19, 03:13 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
I know this is commuting forum, not LCF, but my car-free days might be over unless/until we relocate.
First...it isn't your duty to please anyone on this forum but YOU.

Second...now you have options. Always a good thing to have options. Just not feeling it today? Catch a ride. Feelin' groovy?! Pedal on.

Third...your wife owning a car is actually the best case for you (sounds like it to me). Cars like to be driven. They don't like being parked and neglected as would be the case if I owned one myself. So your wife keeps the car happy by driving it, likely paying for much/most of it, and you have access. Your wife is happy, the car is happy, you likely will be happy about it soon, and I am happy for you. That is A LOT of happy dude! Roll with it!
Likes For JoeyBike: