Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever run across a Roger Riviere?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone ever run across a Roger Riviere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 06:37 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
And now the work begins. This is going to be a long winter project, as the bike is in nowhere near as good cosmetic condition as the picture claims. However, it runs. I rode it a few times while up in Maine, around the neighborhood. This is going to be a long, penetrating oil in every joint for at least a month, slow winter project. And I know I'm going to put way more money into this bike than I'd ever have a chance to get back if I sold it. So what? I've finally got another of my dream bikes.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 10-17-10, 12:02 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
There's one of these currently on the Milwaukee WI CL:
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/2010137003.html

Too high of price for my budget, but I'd love to have the saddle off of it if the saddle is what I think it is (hard to tell with the phone browser).

I'll help facilitate on this one just for the chance to see it in person.
Old 10-17-10, 04:20 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Originally Posted by treebound
There's one of these currently on the Milwaukee WI CL:
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik/2010137003.html

Too high of price for my budget, but I'd love to have the saddle off of it if the saddle is what I think it is (hard to tell with the phone browser).

I'll help facilitate on this one just for the chance to see it in person.
Believe me, that is NOT the saddle they originally came with. The original was a wedge of nylon. It's interesting to see that that one has the CLB brake levers with the 'safety' extensions. I vaguely remember a few of those coming through the shop, although the vast majority we sold were without them. The seller is definitely asking a lot for what you get, although that's the first one I've seen with chrome tips on the fork legs. And the paint doesn't get any prettier than those close ups of the tubing.

I've come to the conclusion that these bikes were only sold in the north east - this one in Wisconsin is the first outside of that area (assuming it never left the original area it was sold in).

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 10-18-10, 08:47 AM
sykerocker 

Got a note back from the seller. Turns out the bike has been in the Milwaukee area since it was new. This makes it the first RR I've run across that is outside the northeast (PA to ME). Guess they were distributed a bit wider than I originally thought. Also, the bike he's selling has chrome tips on the forks. That's a first for me. All the RR's I've ever seen were completely painted.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 10-19-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 11:12 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
A quick follow-up on Roger Riviere the rider. He all but killed himself in the 1960 Tour de France (not the Giro - sorry, CR) by crashing into a ravine for two interrelated reasons. The first was he was trying to keep up with Gastone Nencini on a technical descent. Nencini was one of the best descenders of his day. Riviere wasn't; in fact, he was well below average for a pro. He simply bit off more than he could chew, and it cost him his career and, as a practical matter, his life, as he died young having never fully recovered.

The second reason was that he was, by his own later admission, so amped up on amphetimines that he could barely see straight and literally did not have the motor control to use his brakes properly.

Six years (I think) later, Anquetil's second Hour Record was disallowed afet he refused to submit to a urine test - amphetimines were strongly suspected, and Anquetil all but admitted that he rode "juiced." In the 1967 Tour, Tom Simpson died on Mont Ventoux, amphetimines having played a role in (but not being the sole cause of) riding himself into a fatal heatstroke in the brutal 105+ degree heat on that shadeless mountain. Riviere's crash was the first of this string of doping events that really started cycling's efforts at dope control. Those efforts have ranged from laughable to corrupt (I'm thinking of Merckx's disqualification from the 1969 Giro here) to inept to increasingly effective to draconian, but Roger Riviere and his speed-induced crash represents that start of it all.
Old 10-19-10, 06:27 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Here's another one if your Riviere-lust is not yet spent:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/bik/1986857660.html

Just don't push it too hard on those long descents.
Old 04-11-11, 09:00 PM
jodiupton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found a Roger Riviere :)

I see that this post was done quite some time ago... but I've found a nearly perfect Roger Riviere.. ALL original by the looks of it... right down to that darn uncomfortable saddle seat... ouch... pics are available if you're interested... I was thrilled when I found it... along with a vintage Peugeot and a FEW vintage Fuji bikes... I'm not a bicycle fanatic or anything... my son just wanted to pick up a trade and started volunteering at a bicycle shop that gets bikes donated for underprivileged kids... and these bikes were so great that I couldn't pass them up... plus... the money goes to a great cause... I'm not sure if you found that bike that you were looking for in 09... But if you are still interested... It's #999
Old 04-11-11, 09:57 PM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by jodiupton
I see that this post was done quite some time ago... but I've found a nearly perfect Roger Riviere.. ALL original by the looks of it... right down to that darn uncomfortable saddle seat... ouch... pics are available if you're interested... I was thrilled when I found it... along with a vintage Peugeot and a FEW vintage Fuji bikes... I'm not a bicycle fanatic or anything... my son just wanted to pick up a trade and started volunteering at a bicycle shop that gets bikes donated for underprivileged kids... and these bikes were so great that I couldn't pass them up... plus... the money goes to a great cause... I'm not sure if you found that bike that you were looking for in 09... But if you are still interested... It's #999
Yes, I'd love to see a few pics. Got the one in Maine, finished it a couple of months ago (one Lyotard pedal is gone to the point that I currently won't ride it too far from home, just in case it fails), and am watching eBay for a set of French threaded Lyotards as we speak. Will probably be riding it full time come summer. As to the end results:

Probably won't ride it a lot, as the frame is at the minimum size I'm comfortable with. Now that I've gotten this one done, I'd love to find a 23-1/2" frame model. And that one would get ridden a lot. Yeah, I'm buggy enough about the marque that I'd probably go one a one-man crusade to save as many of the bikes as I could. Which gets me a few odd looks considering they were a bit below a UO-8 in quality, and were definitely a quick buck effort to cash in on the Bike Boom. However, they're a huge part of my late adolescence (ages 18 thru 30) . . . . . . . . . .

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-24-11, 03:35 PM
antiflag1980

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen the Orange Eddie Merckx sitting in the basement of the mobo bicycle coop in Cincinnati, OH waiting for adoption. I have the exact same bike in yellow under a different name also in storage in Cincinnati unfortunately(I live in San Diego, CA now). Exceltoo Super Competition hubs, Simplex derailleurs, Samir SAMINOX Wheels, Callet Saddle, Mafac Racer brakes. Headbadge sticker says "Concorde Cycles France" Decals have been removed. "Hand made" sticker on the downtube, "Made in France" sticker on the seat tube.
https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/IMG_2717.jpg
https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/IMG_2716.jpg
https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/IMG_2705.jpg
https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/IMG_2711.jpg
https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/IMG_2710.jpg
https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/IMG_2708.jpg
https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/IMG_2706.jpg

Here is someone's in orange. https://velospace.org/node/20285
Old 04-24-11, 09:24 PM
sykerocker 

Antiflag,

Thank you for jogging a memory. While I worked at the bike shop, I saw one or two of those Concord's come through as part of a shipment of Roger Riviere's. Can't remember if they were put in wrongly marked boxes, or a couple got thrown in because the supplier couldn't come up with enough Riviere's in that order. Didn't matter, we sold them anyway. And no bicycle-crazed customer asked any questions. It was a 10-speed, it had drop bars, gimmie!!!

Obviously the same bike, same jobber, same constructor (Gitane), probably sold them under different names so they could have accounts with multiple bike shops in the same city - and not invalidate the guarantee of 'territory'. Now, the crazy thing (well, it was the Bike Boom, so nothing was particularly crazy back then other than customer desire) is that the shop already sold a bike called a Concord - but it was an early generic Japanese bike, one of the first Japanese brands (assuming it was a real brand). Nicely done but really nothing special. However, anytime I hear "Concord" (without the 'e'), I automatically think of those bikes and not a French made one.

It ain't valuable, but it is slightly unique. Biggest negative is the incredibly generic brand names. The Riviere was named after a rather big name on the pro tour back in the 50's, who had a line of bikes named after him at that time.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-25-11, 01:10 PM
antiflag1980

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, when I said Eddie Merckx I meant Roger Riviere, and my bike has a Gallet saddle not Callet. I should read what I type before I post.
Old 10-08-15, 08:14 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Roger riviera road bike 57cm

Old 12-05-15, 06:34 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I just got a yellow Roger Rivière a couple of days ago. I’ll post a photo once it’s a little more presentable.
Old 07-16-16, 08:38 AM
Rflynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do I do with this bike?

Hi! I know this post started a long time ago. But thought I'd post anyway. I had hoped to ride a white Roger Rivière bike. It's 100% road ready but not a smooth ride. I live in NYC. I'm wondering if anyone has advice on selling it - Craigslist or eBay. Can't imagine it's worth much. I can't figure out how to post a photo but will if that is helpful
Old 07-16-16, 12:12 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
Rflynn,

Welcome to the forum.

Look forward to seeing your white Roger Riviere.

Your question would be a better fit over on the C&V Appraisals forum.
Old 06-09-18, 11:58 AM
Jrr511

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently own a Roger Riviere that I might be parting with soon.
Old 06-09-18, 12:11 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by Jrr511
I currently own a Roger Riviere that I might be parting with soon.
-----

If you are seeking advice regarding selling your post would be a better fit over on the C&V appraisals forum.

Sales offerings are not permitted here nor at the appraisals forum.

There is a separate forum for C&V sales.

​​​​​​​-----
Old 08-11-19, 07:36 AM
juvela

-----

Three posts making the same statement...

All you need do is post it seven more times and you will be eligible to post photos...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 08-11-19, 09:00 AM
sykerocker 

Originally Posted by nobde
We have a White Roger Riviere sitting in our garage 1970's Era. My husband rode it a couple weeks ago. It needs some TLC but in good shape. Those skinny tires are not for him anymore so we got him a newer bike. Not sure what the Riviere is worth? Or if anyone would even be interested. Erie, Pa
That bike's been in Erie, PA all this time? If so, it's one of the A.R. Adams Cycle bikes, and there's a very good possibility that I sold it. From the last that I heard the shop is still in business in the same location, although under new ownership as Merle died in, I believe 2015. Which was a disappointment, as I was planning on taking a motorcycle ride up to town to see him that following spring. I haven't been back to Erie since the late 90's.

What size is the frame? Assuming you've read down this entire thread (and know more about a Roger Riviere than you've ever wanted to know), it got started by me and that 21" frame bike which turned out to be way too small for me to have as a keeper long term. I think I hung on to the bike for about a year before selling it to another collector. If it's a 23" or 25" frame, I'd be interested in it. The problem would be in getting it from Erie, PA to Ashland, VA (fifteen miles north of Richmond), and I don't see myself traveling any further north this year than Johnstown (my origins) . . . . . . and that would be on a Harley Electra Glide.

Post a picture of the bike if you can. I'd like to follow up on this.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 08-13-19, 06:20 AM
nobde

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes this bike was sold in Erie Pa in the 70's by A.R. Adams Cycle. My husband is 6'3" tall and it was fitted to him. Where do I find the size on the bike? I am new to this Forum. I have tried to post photos but they won't upload? Someone said I have to post 7 times before I can post photos?
Old 08-19-19, 08:19 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
You could post the photo someplace else and provide the link.
Old 10-27-19, 09:49 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11400 Post(s)
Liked 4,748 Times in 2,764 Posts
Just a quick reminder.....

Selling a bike on the Bike Forums website is limited to paid members only, and restricted to the appropriate "For Sale" forum.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-27-19 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-27-19, 10:32 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Yes this bike was sold in Erie Pa in the 70's by A.R. Adams Cycle. My husband is 6'3" tall and it was fitted to him. Where do I find the size on the bike? I am new to this Forum. I have tried to post photos but they won't upload? Someone said I have to post 7 times before I can post photos?
Many bikes do not show the size. Older bikes with horizontal top tubes are usually measured in centimeters, from the center of the crankset, to either the top of the seat tube-top tube intersection (C-T) or from the center of the crankset to the center of the seat tube-top tube intersection. (C-C)

You can probably find a better explanation on-line. Someone 6' 3" probably rode a bike in the 62 cm range.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-27-19, 10:33 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
You need 10 posts. You can greet other new members in the "Introductions" forum if you like.
We frown on "junk" posts just to get to ten.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-08-20, 02:59 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
sykerocker
No ****, you're still interested after all this time?

I saw a post in Columbus' C-list for bike parts about a Roger Riviere. Mind you, no price, no photos, just "all there". This thread is the first search result, so, congratulations? I don't have any plans for it, but if you ask nicely, I can check it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.