Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting "dissed" while riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 09:15 AM
DBrown9383

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Funny I don't remember ever being disrespected while riding a bike as a kid or teenager. My wife and I had just completed a ride on bike path and had returned to the car when a car full of rednecks shouted obscenities at us for no reason. I was at the LBS and was telling the owner my story and he proceeded to tell me how many times he's had stuff thrown at him out of car windows and people yelling at him or honking horns. I guess you can't ever get away from rednecks. I have had this happen while walking back to the car after paddling local creeks, that was in PA. The rednecks can't resist when they see a guy in a spray skirt. I really didn't think this would happen with bicycles? Says a lot about society, doesn't it.
Old 04-25-15, 09:38 AM
Kevin56

Bikes: Giant Sedona, Trek DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't heard much yet this season since car windows are still up...but here are some comments (good and bad) from last year.

"get out o the road"
"get off to the side"
"get on the sidewalk"
" F--- YOU!" (caused him to miss the green light)
"Go daddy go"
"ha ha ha you better pedal faster"
"I LOVE YOU"
" You're only going 12 miles per hour, sir. That's better....better...better...32 miles per hour sir!" (his speedo must be off)

Still waiting to get clocked in the back of the head with a beer bottle. Had a car whiz by me about 60mph the other night on a back road...came real close but I noticed the driver kept it in a straight line as the car sped out of sight. It's the slow drunks and texters that worry me more.

Don't let the losers with low self-esteem get you down. Ride on.
Old 04-25-15, 09:40 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin56
... It's the slow drunks and texters that worry me more.

Don't let the losers with low self-esteem get you down. Ride on.
Concur with both comments.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-25-15, 09:47 AM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess it's not "cool" to ride a bike in the eyes of some. I need a good come back line for when it happens again. I can handle myself just fine if they stop for a confrontation but if they have guns and/or knives it's just not worth it. I'm going to start shouting at rednecks in pick ups just to balance things out a little.
Old 04-25-15, 09:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
had a dairy queen drink, Drive by, thrown by passenger in pickup truck at me . I said to myself 'Keep working kid, so my social security stays funded'..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-25-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 10:03 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin56
It's the slow drunks and texters that worry me more.
The main reason I gave up road riding and only mountain bike now. I'd rather have a run-in with a tree than an Escalade going 50mph on a residential street, which is how they drive where I live. Was never verbally dissed but have been spit at, and then there were always those cars (usually a blinged out Mercedes paid for by mommy and daddy) full of teenagers who seemed to think it was fun to buzz the geezer on the bike within an inch of running him off the road. We have the "3 feet law" now here in CA, but apparently only the cyclists know about it.
Old 04-25-15, 10:08 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Wave at them, and smile - they then think you know them, and they start to worry. If they stop and actually confront you, I just tell them I already snapped a pic of their plate.......
Old 04-25-15, 11:05 AM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
They are not "RedNecks" they are usually disrespectful intolerant, aggressive, ignorant people/drivers.
Many "RedNecks" are impressed by our sport!
Old 04-25-15, 11:31 AM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So long as grown men wear funny clothes & ride a bicycle, there have been grown boys who have thrown things at Us. Ignore them. They want a reaction.
Old 04-25-15, 12:48 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Bullies have always been around. There is really no way to get rid of them. Don't bother asking why, it's just something in their DNA.
In grade school, a bunch of them gang up on smaller, weaker kids and forcibly take their lunch money. As teenagers (or older), they
pile into a car owned by one of them and harass cyclists, joggers, and elderly people walking their dogs. Yes, I have seen
all of this. Sometimes, they are stirred up by the rantings of the brain stems on talk radio. I don't think anyone can
deny this. Funny how these so-called "shock jocks" are so brave with their mouths, while inside high-security office
buildings, isn't it?

I had eggs thrown at me, years ago. One connected, and gave me slight cuts on my left leg. Other incidents: A beer bottle,
(Domestic lite brand, of course) a bag of McDonald's garbage, and something made of plastic I could not identify. None of
these objects connected. On one occasion, on a morning commute, some rocket scientist leaned way out of the passenger
window of a passing Honda, and hurled a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee at me. They failed to work the prevailing headwind
into their calculations, and the coffee made an arc, landing on the rear quarter and trunk lid of the car. Oops.

I have noticed much less of this in Eastern MA, during the last few years. ( Before anyone mentions it, yes, I am aware
of the recent incident, involving
a member of the MA state police.
) So, the number of bullies are diminishing. I would say time is doing its job.

Bullies are bullies, and there is little to be done with them. I would definitely report an actual assault, should that happen, but
there is nothing to be done about the usual yelling. The best thing is to hope that sooner or later, what goes around comes around.
Sometimes, it does.
Old 04-25-15, 01:03 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm in disagreement with the observation that there is no intelligent life on Earth. I think there is plenty of intelligence around but you have to search for it. I also know there are plenty of psychopaths around who love getting a rise out of people.
Old 04-25-15, 01:07 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
I guess it's not "cool" to ride a bike in the eyes of some. I need a good come back line for when it happens again. I can handle myself just fine if they stop for a confrontation but if they have guns and/or knives it's just not worth it. I'm going to start shouting at rednecks in pick ups just to balance things out a little.
I take just the opposite approach. While it may make me feel better to flip them off, I try to think of the next rider they encounter. If they don't get a reaction they expect, they might realize it is not worth their energy. Most of the time I can not really tell what was said anyway, and I just give them the benefit of the doubt. However, when it does happen, it is usually a 17-25 year old boy/man in black pickup truck.

I don't know how you define "redneck", but the few encounters I've had were from just plain rude, immature people. I agree with VNA's post:
They are not "RedNecks" they are usually disrespectful intolerant, aggressive, ignorant people/drivers.
Actually, I find that most drivers, 99.9%, are courteous, give us a lot of space, even stop and ask us if we need assistance when standing on the side of the road looking at a map. The loop through Michigan that I was talking about in an earlier post was 1000 miles long, including riding through Detroit. We did not have one incident similar to what you described.
Old 04-25-15, 01:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,405 Posts
What people say about others --- anything, for any reason --- reflects more on themselves than on those at whom the words are directed.

Yes, there are ignorant people everywhere who need to put others down so they don't have to look close at themselves. Such is life.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone can feel better by throwing meaningless words at me, then I'm willing to accommodate him. Venting his frustrations this way is the best of all alternatives. Imagine what might happen if he can't vent.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-25-15, 01:28 PM
Wolf Dust
Anywhere I roam

Bikes: Three blind bikes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Concur with both comments.
Texters are rolling death wagons! Cannot believe the backwards mentality of ALL rednecks that drive diesel truks! For me it's very hard not to flip the bird when people yell out the window. I used to do it without caring too much, but anymore there are too many people that are really on the edge of sanity, so ya just gotta roll with the punches.
Old 04-25-15, 02:04 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
And, rednecks drive trucks. Just sayin'.
Old 04-25-15, 02:42 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
On a long hill climb I had a guy in a pick'em up truck come up behind and hit his airhorn. My ears were ringing for days.

I was never so motivated to catch and tell him off, but the hill was too long and he was gone.

I bet he compensating for a small wiener with his big truck.
Old 04-25-15, 03:01 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I think that a lot of them must be smoking something exotic. I've been told a lot of times that I should move because the road is copulating.

Incidentally, I think it's funny what words get published on BF and what gets starred out.
Old 04-25-15, 05:16 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
had a dairy queen drink, Drive by, thrown by passenger in pickup truck at me . I said to myself 'Keep working kid, so my social security stays funded'..
Tell him his drink hand up needs work.
Old 04-25-15, 05:23 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
On a long hill climb I had a guy in a pick'em up truck come up behind and hit his airhorn. My ears were ringing for days.

I was never so motivated to catch and tell him off, but the hill was too long and he was gone.

I bet he compensating for a small wiener with his big truck.
I think it is also safe to guess that your truck driver, and others we have talked about here, are not PhD candidates at MIT or anyplace
else.
Old 04-25-15, 05:37 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
One thing that concerns me in this area is the left turn on flashing yellow.
I'll be going straight through the intersection on green, the opposite side has a red light for through and a flashing yellow for left turn.
The tendency now is for opposite drivers to turn into me on the flashing yellow.
This despite the right of way and fluorescent green jacket.
Old 04-25-15, 06:18 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I take just the opposite approach. While it may make me feel better to flip them off, I try to think of the next rider they encounter. If they don't get a reaction they expect, they might realize it is not worth their energy...
Could not agree more. I just grit my teeth and smile and wave. Although around these parts it happens very infrequently.
Old 04-25-15, 07:13 PM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
I think it is also safe to guess that your truck driver, and others we have talked about here, are not PhD candidates at MIT or anyplace
else.
I'm going to disagree with your guess here, a college degree never gave anyone an ounce of common sense! A superiority complex maybe!
Old 04-25-15, 08:15 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
rednecks will do that. I have had sh*t thrown at me and insults for no reason at all (opposite lane of traffic no less).
Old 04-25-15, 08:32 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Actually, I find that most drivers, 99.9%, are courteous, give us a lot of space, even stop and ask us if we need assistance when standing on the side of the road looking at a map. The loop through Michigan that I was talking about in an earlier post was 1000 miles long, including riding through Detroit. We did not have one incident similar to what you described.
Glad to hear you had a good experience riding through "the D". I'll loop into Detroit for a CRITICAL MASS, and organized "Tour de Troit", or just to get a cup of coffee, and I've not had any problems.

- AS A MATTER OF FACT: on the Tour de Troit I had a rider drafting me too closely, didn't pay attention to a stop sign we were rolling up to, didn't pay attention to me saying "breakbreakbreakbreak" and he shoved me in to an intersection that didn't have to stop - The drive must have been paying really good attention and was totally on the brakes.
The only issue was the knuckle head drafting me going over his bars and landing on his head.

Last edited by mrv; 04-26-15 at 05:48 AM. Reason: brakes, not breaks....
Old 04-25-15, 08:40 PM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the term "rednecks" loosely.. I've seen "rednecks" on bicycles but it's usually only because they got a DUI and that's the only way they can get around. I guess a better term would have been "low lifes". It seems to me the lower socio economic groups are the typical offenders, either that or people just don't like seeing others having a good time. I rode on the shoulder of a state road here in northern MI for 10mi. today. Frankly it scared the crap out of me even though there is a very generous shoulder. One texting teenager or one drunk driver and it's game over. I can handle a slurpie chucked out a window at me but I didn't enjoy hearing vehicles coming up from behind at 70mph. I don't think I can "get used" to that so I'm going to have to take the bikes to bike paths to have peace of mind. You guys that mingle with vehicular traffic must have a different mind set than I do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.