Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Sign at campground says... "If you need a bike take one..."

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sign at campground says... "If you need a bike take one..."

Old 09-09-19, 06:34 AM
  #1  
riverdrifter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
riverdrifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: South-central Nebraska.
Posts: 444

Bikes: Trek 620, Jamis Satellite Sport, Raleigh Sport

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 59 Posts
Sign at campground says... "If you need a bike take one..."

I was enjoying an electronics-free camping weekend with my family, hence no photos. Sorry! Anyway as we approached the campground host campsite I saw literally 100 or more bicycles in every shape and size, in about a dozen homemade bike racks. Tiny kids bikes, and bikes with child seats mounted also. There was also a generator with a compressor and an air pump. A large sign read "Guest Bikes. If you need a bike take one, no need to ask. Please respect bikes and return to rack when you are done."

We enjoyed biking around the campgrounds! How Cool is that?!
riverdrifter is offline  
Likes For riverdrifter:
Old 09-09-19, 06:48 AM
  #2  
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)
 
Juan Foote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Jawja
Posts: 3,496

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
They had a trailer available after Burning Man.....
Juan Foote is online now  
Old 09-09-19, 06:57 AM
  #3  
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.
 
FiftySix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 1,120

Bikes: Norco CityGlide, Schwinn "Speedster" Willy

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by riverdrifter View Post
I was enjoying an electronics-free camping weekend with my family, hence no photos. Sorry! Anyway as we approached the campground host campsite I saw literally 100 or more bicycles in every shape and size, in about a dozen homemade bike racks. Tiny kids bikes, and bikes with child seats mounted also. There was also a generator with a compressor and an air pump. A large sign read "Guest Bikes. If you need a bike take one, no need to ask. Please respect bikes and return to rack when you are done."

We enjoyed biking around the campgrounds! How Cool is that?!
A two fer. Excellent.
FiftySix is offline  
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-10-19, 06:42 AM
  #4  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 5,319

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Bridgestone RB-T, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 160 Posts
No info on location? And it sounded like such a positive recommendation.
thumpism is offline  
Old 09-10-19, 07:19 AM
  #5  
riverdrifter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
riverdrifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: South-central Nebraska.
Posts: 444

Bikes: Trek 620, Jamis Satellite Sport, Raleigh Sport

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
No info on location? And it sounded like such a positive recommendation.
Fort Kearney State Recreation Area - Kearney, Nebraska

https://nebraskastateparks.reserveam...&parkId=230098
riverdrifter is offline  
Likes For riverdrifter:
Old 09-10-19, 10:06 AM
  #6  
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member
 
Wilfred Laurier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,923
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 152 Posts
I was at a campground that had a similar set of bikes a few years ago. I went to explore the country roads around the area and had to walk back with a flat tire.

I guess they're nice for toodling around the campground, but not meant for longer rides.
Wilfred Laurier is offline  
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 09-10-19, 12:44 PM
  #7  
I-Like-To-Bike
Banned.
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,110

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 177 Posts
I highly recommend the De Hoge Veluwe National Park. It is one of the largest continuous nature reserves in Holland, measuring in at 5,400 hectares, or 13,343 acres. Hike or cycle through this beautiful natural landscape on a white bike, free of charge, or visit the Kröller-Müller Museum, with its sculpture garden and largest private Van Gogh collection in the world.

Free White Bicycles

The easiest way to explore these wide lands is by bicycle. De Hoge Veluwe National Park has 40 kilometres (25 miles) of cycling paths and 1,800 bicycles for free use. These white bicycles can be found in various locations throughout the park, as well as at the Hoenderloo, Otterlo and Schaarsbergen entrances, allowing you to hop on the saddle as soon as you enter. There are also white bicycles for children (without trainer wheels) and bicycles with front or rear children’s seats.

The Kröller-Müller Museum is a second home to Vincent van Gogh.
The museum boasts almost 90 paintings and more than 180 drawings, making it the second largest collection of Van Goghs in the world. In addition, the museum is home to top works by modern masters including Claude Monet, Georges Seurat, Pablo Picasso and Piet Mondriaan. Temporary exhibitions ensure that the museum keeps pace with all the latest developments and retains public interest.https://www.holland.com/global/touri...e-veluwe-6.htm



I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-10-19, 12:56 PM
  #8  
riverdrifter
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
riverdrifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: South-central Nebraska.
Posts: 444

Bikes: Trek 620, Jamis Satellite Sport, Raleigh Sport

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I highly recommend the De Hoge Veluwe National Park. It is one of the largest continuous nature reserves in Holland, measuring in at 5,400 hectares, or 13,343 acres. Hike or cycle through this beautiful natural landscape on a white bike, free of charge, or visit the Kröller-Müller Museum, with its sculpture garden and largest private Van Gogh collection in the world.

Free White Bicycles

The easiest way to explore these wide lands is by bicycle. De Hoge Veluwe National Park has 40 kilometres (25 miles) of cycling paths and 1,800 bicycles for free use. These white bicycles can be found in various locations throughout the park, as well as at the Hoenderloo, Otterlo and Schaarsbergen entrances, allowing you to hop on the saddle as soon as you enter. There are also white bicycles for children (without trainer wheels) and bicycles with front or rear children’s seats.

The Kröller-Müller Museum is a second home to Vincent van Gogh.
The museum boasts almost 90 paintings and more than 180 drawings, making it the second largest collection of Van Goghs in the world. In addition, the museum is home to top works by modern masters including Claude Monet, Georges Seurat, Pablo Picasso and Piet Mondriaan. Temporary exhibitions ensure that the museum keeps pace with all the latest developments and retains public interest.https://www.holland.com/global/touri...e-veluwe-6.htm



Fantastic! I'd love to visit!
riverdrifter is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Tim199
Utility Cycling
9
02-18-14 09:40 PM
teamfuji1969
Northeast
2
07-27-11 03:28 AM
ummbnb
General Cycling Discussion
7
07-19-11 09:52 AM
noteon
Recreational & Family
12
09-24-10 07:27 AM
hotbike
Utility Cycling
2
12-07-09 10:07 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.