Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Swap QR axle for solid, for security purposes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-19, 11:51 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts

Okay so I'm starting a commute in a city and I have quick releases on both front and back wheels. I ordered a Kryptonite Kryptolock Series 2 Mini-7 U-Lock and Quickboltz skewer combo. What they sent me is a Kryptonite Messenger Series U-Lock with a set of Quicknutz. This is a more secure lock, but I would need a solid axle for the Quicknutz, right? Is this a simple swap? I have Alex ID19 rims with Formula Alloy hubs and sealed bearings. My Schwalbe Marathon tires are probably worth more than my wheelset , still I don't want to lose any of it.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-19, 02:51 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You might consider a chain or cable lock to run through your wheels and frame, then the thief will have to deal with two locks to steal the bike, or more important, find easier pickings.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-16-19, 03:43 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
You might consider a chain or cable lock to run through your wheels and frame, then the thief will have to deal with two locks to steal the bike, or more important, find easier pickings.
I agree, but your point forced me to realize that its a variation of the two guys in the jungle:
Guy 1: "What're you gonna do if a lion chases us?"
Guy 2: "Run".
Guy 1: "There's no way you can outrun a lion!"
Guy 2: "Don't have to. Just have to outrun you".
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 10-16-19, 04:39 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
I agree, but your point forced me to realize that its a variation of the two guys in the jungle:
Guy 1: "What're you gonna do if a lion chases us?"
Guy 2: "Run".
Guy 1: "There's no way you can outrun a lion!"
Guy 2: "Don't have to. Just have to outrun you".
A determined thief will, given enough time, get what they want. The best you can do is to make it so time-consuming and difficult that they seek other prey. Or ride such a crappy bike that nobody wants it.
Of course, the best thing for the OP would be to stay out of the jungle by not leaving his/her bike unattended all day.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-16-19, 05:35 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
nutted skewers

Converting hubs is a PITA and then you need to carry about a 15 mm wrench. The nutted skewers you ordered were the answer, especially of they took a lightweight standard tool like a security hex key, available at any commercial hardware store. Get them to send what you ordered.
Likes For oldschoolbike:
Old 10-17-19, 07:10 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Are there even nutted axles available for your hubs?

I vote for returning the incorrect order and getting what you originally asked for.

In the meantime, you can usually lock F&R wheels and frame together by removing the front wheel and placing it alongside the rear wheel. This also gives thieves one more step (reinstalling F wheel) to stealing and riding away on the bike.

The last time I had a bike stolen (~15 years ago, locked with a cable to a sign in front of my apartment building in Ottawa - where @oldschoolbike lives - lock was lifted over the sign), it was a beater with a 1970s 3 speed hub kludged to work with a left grip shifter. The newish tires were the thing I was most upset about, too.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 10-17-19, 07:59 AM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 108 Posts
Thanks guys! Yep, I did not know if it was a simple switch or not, sounds like it isn't.
Old 10-18-19, 11:29 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Well, first, if you took the time to order what you wanted, and they were idiotic enough to send you something completely different I'd send it back and order through another provider. Accepting their bait and switch only encourages them. I'd stop payment on the cc bill, and call and ask for a Returned Merchandise Authorization number and a prepaid shipping sticker.

Switching axles isn't that difficult if you have the cone wrenches and are willing to spend some time making sure that you've properly preloaded the bearings or (for more modern bikes) that you've assembled everything correctly. But it does change your bike, and you'd have to buy a solid axle (which would have to be longer than the original).