Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to regrease Shimano sealed bearings?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-06-20, 12:05 PM
reissue59

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Like on the 600/105/dura ace headset
i got one but cant seem to get grease in there
anyone have the procedure to open them up and grease them?

Last edited by reissue59; 01-06-20 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 12:35 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 43 Posts
Well, it would help to say what exactly you are trying to service. I assume it's a hub. Assuming that it's a standard loose ball bearing hub with cup and cones, and not cartridge bearings, then you could look at this video for some information. It doesn't really give enough details about the last step of adjusting the tightness of the cone/locknut at the end of the video, but I'm sure you can find other videos on YouTube about the subject.
To open the cup and cone hub, you typically need a pair of cone wrenches, which you can find the size from the parts manual on the Shimano website if you type in your model number.
https://si.shimano.com/#/
You normally only remove the locknut and cone from the non drive side, keeping the locknut and cone on the drive side unchanged.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 01-06-20 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 01:01 PM
brian3069 

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
If you're are talking about the late 1980's, early 90's headsets. They use uses regular bearings sealed inside a case. There's a silver clip that holds it together, pry the clip off with a small screw driver. The case will separate in half. Inside there are caged bearings that can be serviced or replaced.
Old 01-06-20, 01:07 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by reissue59 View Post
It seems like we're already off to the races.
If you're servicing a headset, you just have to disassemble the locknut or loosen the stem bolts to get at them. Loosening the stem requires no special tools, but a threaded headset will need a 32 mm or 36 mm cone wrench to properly adjust the top race once you're done.

BE CAREFUL. If the headset is using balls without a retainer, you might have them fall out once you loosen the stem or top race! Lost balls take a simple process and force you to find and clean the ball, or find a replacement. You can look at guides from various sources for the process. I like the articles from Park Tool.
Old 01-06-20, 01:22 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by reissue59 View Post
Please post a photo of your Shimano headset so we can give the correct answer without wildly speculating on the ideal solution.

I have a Shimano Deore LX threaded, 1” headset on my commuter bike. It uses a “cartridge” bearing but an inexpensive, non-sealed one. The lower bearing drinks in water when the bike is ridden in the rain. I did a flush and all kinds of rust came out but unfortunately the balls had corroded so badly that nothing could be done and they had to be thrown out. Fortunately for me, I found a pair of the cartridge bearings for a Dura Ace 7410 headset and was able to replace the lower on my Deore XT and still have a spare. The upper bearing was fine so all I did with it was to clean, grease and re-install it. The Dura Ace bearings are much better than the unsealed cartridge bearings on the cheaper headsets. Luckily they seem to have the same dimensions so they pop right in.

As far as I know, the Dura Ace 7410 sealed bearing is unique and not a common sealed bearing dimension. Could someone speak to whether a generic substitute bearing matching the 7410’s dimensions exists? If it does, that would help out a lot of people who want to keep their (damaged) Shimano cartridge bearing headsets.
Old 01-07-20, 12:54 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 28 Posts
You will need to split the outer races and pry out the polished metal ring. This will expose the bearings.
Old 01-12-20, 11:33 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Did you figure it out?