Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Car-Free outings for otherwise car-heavies

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Car-Free outings for otherwise car-heavies

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-17, 12:23 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

Sunday 5 Feb -- Rowan and I cycled up Mt Wellington today. 73.4 km with 1636 metres (5367.45 feet) straight up the side of the mountain. Not an easy ride!!
....Tired, and with various and sundry aches and pains ... we successfully made it to the top!!
I think you mentioned a while back you were going to ride up there...
No, we didn't cycle up there. Not yet. I'm not a good climber. But I think Rowan has in the past, and we are talking about building up to it.
Congrats on making it. Was this the first time?
Old 02-22-17, 12:27 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't care what you'd call them. But I was polite and shared my experience in your thread, replying to what you wrote:

And you responded rudely and dismissively.
I didn't see it that way. He asked for car-free outings. If you drove to the trailhead it wasn't a car-free outing. He was just trying to explain that to you.
Old 02-22-17, 12:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
He asked about people doing things for a few hours that don't include cars, and then cried foul when he didn't approve of what people do in the world. Which is typical of this little forum.
Old 02-22-17, 12:47 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
He asked about people doing things for a few hours that don't include cars, and then cried foul when he didn't approve of what people do in the world. Which is typical of this little forum.
That's the way I took it, thus my bike tour should qualify, even tho the wife followed with the truck... It was a car free outing for a car heavy person...
Old 02-22-17, 12:55 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
That's a classic -- respectfulness of other people's efforts in the future.

Do you want me to go through this forum and show you how the likes of you, Roody, tandempower, ILTB, and the now-forgotten guy from Spain have shown virtually no respect for Machka and me.
Sometimes posters forget that the only way to show "respectfulness" to other posters on this forum is to electronically nod heads in agreement, if not offer high fives, to posts that are often nothing more than political rants, motorist bashing, and/or day dreaming visions/schemes, not to mention personal diary/travel notes and photo-bomb-fests of same.

It should be noted that some posters of the above type of posts seem most demanding of "respect" (i.e. agreement/concurrence) and take any criticism or differing opinion as a personal affront.
Old 02-22-17, 03:04 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

No, I think you misunderstood the thread intent, and got unnecessarily upset when he innocently explained that he was asking about car-free outings that involve no car component. Maybe re-read the OP and see if you agree.
Old 02-22-17, 04:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by 350htrr
That's the way I took it, thus my bike tour should qualify, even tho the wife followed with the truck... It was a car free outing for a car heavy person...
Sounds good to me.
Old 02-22-17, 04:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by cooker
... he was asking about car-free outings that involve no car component. Maybe re-read the OP and see if you agree.
That's what you got from

Originally Posted by tandempower
Although we LCF, it occurred to me that you don't have to 'be' LCF or car-light to take car-free outings, especially on weekends. Likewise, we often see other people taking walks and bike-rides on the MUPs, and many of them may not 'be' car-free or car-light.
Old 02-22-17, 04:26 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

That's what you got from
...car-free outings...
Yes, I don't see how it could be understood any other way.
Old 02-22-17, 04:35 PM
Seattle Forrest

You have to cut out 99 % of the message to interpret it in your preferred way!
Old 02-22-17, 04:38 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

You have to cut out 99 % of the message to interpret it in your preferred way!
He gave a bunch of examples like people walking to McDonalds and jogging home. Basically he made a straightforward request, you misinterpreted it, and when he politely tried to clarify it you got snippy.
Old 02-22-17, 04:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

I gave another example, and certain thin-skinned people freaked out. One of them is continuing.

I'm not going to play deceptive word games with you about who's allowed to post in this forum and who isn't.
Old 02-22-17, 04:42 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Yes, I don't see how it could be understood any other way.
Really? So, it has to be car free right from your house, or it doesn't count? Not in my book, you can use a car drive 100Km and get out and spend the whole day/weekend or the whole week, fishing, hiking, swimming, skiing, snowshoeing, kayaking, whatever for the whole day/weekend or even a week, and not use the vehicle for any of those things, but that doesn't count because you drove to it, and obviously must drive back...? Not really the same as driving 100Km, watch 2Hrs of people racing around in an oval doing 200Km/Hr+. driving to a restaurant, driving to a nightspot, and driving home...

Last edited by 350htrr; 02-22-17 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 02-22-17, 04:54 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Really? So, it has to be car free right from your house, or it doesn't count? Not in my book, you can use a car drive 100Km and get out and spend the whole day/weekend or the whole week, fishing, hiking, swimming, skiing, snowshoeing, kayaking, whatever for the whole day/weekend or even a week, and not use the vehicle for any of those things, but that doesn't count because you drove to it, and obviously must drive back...? Not really the same as driving 100Km, watch 2Hrs of people racing around in an oval doing 200Km/Hr+. driving to a restaurant, driving to a nightspot, and driving home...
In this particular thread, in the OP, tandempower wa interested in discussing if people who otherwise use cars a lot, sometimes go out without using the car, or could be encouraged to. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.
Old 02-22-17, 04:56 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I gave another example, and certain thin-skinned people freaked out. One of them is continuing.

I'm not going to play deceptive word games with you about who's allowed to post in this forum and who isn't.
Everybody is allowed to post. You accused tandempower of being rude. You were mistaken.
Old 02-22-17, 05:57 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
FWIW as one who has been on this thread since page 1, I have assiduously tried to understand and reply to the OP, and here’s my conclusions:
in short,the idea is to go out and do something without driving at all, not because you want to LCF in general but because you want to LCF for a day, or at least a few hours.
Originally Posted by Roody
…a lot of vacations are carfree,such as cruises,resorts, train tours of europe, helicopter skiing,etc.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
i have been avidly replying to this thread…with the idea that the thread was referring to broader activities like daytrips and vacations. Going outseems a pretty limited opportunity to take a bike ride, when the destination is more important than the transportation.
Now that I get the concept of “going out,” I have a few further thoughts. …a few aspects of going out LCF. Our [particular] destination is easily and pleasantly approached by the circumstances of the route… subway and pleasant walking environment… and is discouraged by the lack of parking. Distance, and bringing children or elderly also hinders car free transport…

A personal damper for me to ride my bike to an outing is that I don’t bring a lock anywhere, since I don’t leave my bike out of my control. i.e. unattended only at homeand my secure parking at work.

So I think that to purposefully make “going out” an LCF activity, makes it an LCF activity with an intended destination. For me it’s only ordinary and comfortable to go out LCF when the destination/activity and route makes it an ordinary outing.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-22-17 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 06:11 PM
350htrr

I also think a purposeful LCF activity "makes it a purposeful" LCF activity, thus Car-Heavy's will NOT apply... My scenarios are about the only way a car-heavy person is going to go and do car light things, drive to where one does things where driving is not required to do them once you are there...
Old 02-22-17, 06:12 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
For me it’s only ordinary and comfortable to go out LCF when the destination/activity and route makes it an ordinary outing.
What I get from this is that you find it out-of-the-ordinary and uncomfortable to go out by walking/bike when the destination/route is usually something you'd drive to/for. I know people like this. I take a walk or a bike ride someplace they would drive and they basically just dismiss the route I'm telling them about as a driving route, as if there's some kind of non-competition agreement for driving routes that drivers can't walk there. Maybe they would feel like other drivers would look at them like they were crazy or like they ran out of money or something and that's why they had to walk/bike.
Old 02-22-17, 06:17 PM
Jim from Boston

What I get from this is that you find it out-of-the-ordinary and uncomfortable to go out by walking/bike when the destination/route is usually something you'd drive to/for. I know people like this. I take a walk or a bike ride someplace they would drive and they basically just dismiss the route I'm telling them about as a driving route, as if there's some kind of non-competition agreement for driving routes that drivers can't walk there. Maybe they would feel like other drivers would look at them like they were crazy or like they ran out of money or something and that's why they had to walk/bike.
Huh?
Old 02-22-17, 06:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts

9. And here's a 5-year prediction for you ... in 5 years forums could be a thing of the past. Actually, I can't put exactly 5 years on that. I've been seeing evidence that forums are dying for several years now and they are an old folks thing, so it could be as little as 2 or 3 years ...
But there are a lot of us old folks. And we hope to be around for more than 2 or 3 years
Old 02-22-17, 07:06 PM
Jim from Boston

...So I think that to purposefully make “going out” an LCF activity, makes it an LCF activity with an intended destination. For me it’s only ordinary and comfortable to go out LCF when the destination/activity and route makes it an ordinary outing.
WhatI get from this is that you find it out-of-the-ordinary and uncomfortable to go out by walking/bike when the destination/route is usually something you'd drive to/for. I know people like this. I take a walk or a bike ride someplace theywould drive and they basically just dismiss the route I'm telling them about as a driving route, as if there's some kind of non-competition agreement for driving routes that drivers can't walk there. Maybe they would feel like other drivers would look at them like they were crazy or like they ran out of mone yor something and that's why they had to walk/bike.
Huh?
Maybe better said, "So I think that to purposefully make “going out” an LCF activity, makes it an LCF activity with an intended destination. For me it’s only suitable to go out LCF when the destination/activity and route makes it a suitable LCF outing."
I also think a purposeful LCF activity "makes it a purposeful" LCF activity, thus Car-Heavy's will NOT apply... My scenarios are about the only way a car-heavy person is going to go and do car light things, drive to where one does things where driving is not required todo them once you are there...
But I think the whole concept of this thread is that one does not drive to participate in a car free outing (and thus is virtually by definition a limited activity, since one has to return home without driving).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-22-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 07:34 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I think you mentioned a while back you were going to ride up there...
Congrats on making it. Was this the first time?
Thanks ... and no, it was my second time up, and Rowan's 5th or 6th time up.

We're sort of casually chatting about doing it again in the not too distant future.
Old 02-22-17, 07:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
+1

Rowan and I often do these car-free weekends where we drive to our destination. Park the van. Then spend the weekend cycling and walking.

We did that at Christmas.

Drove out to where we spent Christmas on Christmas Eve. Parked the van. Cycled and walked on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Then drove home on the next day.

But for 2 days, we didn't use the van at all. We could have ... but it was more fun to cycle.
Old 02-23-17, 06:17 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Maybe better said, "So I think that to purposefully make “going out” an LCF activity, makes it an LCF activity with an intended destination. For me it’s only suitable to go out LCF when the destination/activity and route makes it a suitable LCF outing." But I think the whole concept of this thread is that one does not drive to participate in a car free outing (and thus is virtually by definition a limited activity, since one has to return home without driving).
Yes, for an outing to be carfree it would have to be within walking/biking range.

Maybe an interesting sub-discussion is how far you'd consider a pleasant car-free outing to do something like go out to a restaurant, go to a movie, etc. if you weren't LCF for the sake of LCF. I.e. would you walk a mile to go out to eat, 2 miles? i.e. just to enjoy the walk before and after the meal, to aid digestion, etc.?
Old 02-23-17, 08:07 PM
350htrr

Yes, for an outing to be carfree it would have to be within walking/biking range.

Maybe an interesting sub-discussion is how far you'd consider a pleasant car-free outing to do something like go out to a restaurant, go to a movie, etc. if you weren't LCF for the sake of LCF. I.e. would you walk a mile to go out to eat, 2 miles? i.e. just to enjoy the walk before and after the meal, to aid digestion, etc.?
BUT.. Your whole premise is how to get car-heavies to do LCF kind of things, great. But that just isn't going to happen. They "may" actually go on a 5Km hike once they get to a park that has a path worth the walk/hike... But most people would rather ride than walk to the nearest restaurants, and they would more than likely need to drive a car to get to the park... JMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.