Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Should I shorten my stem? Lower back pain

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Should I shorten my stem? Lower back pain

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 12:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
saddle placement is related to your femur length.. back more offers weight shift off your hands..

Maybe an up angled stem also , but that may not satisfy your desire for that go fast racing tuck.

Old 03-11-18, 12:46 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
saddle placement is related to your femur length.. back more offers weight shift off your hands.
It really isn't. Saddle height is leg length, saddle set back is weight distribution.
Old 03-11-18, 01:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

The KOPS crowd differs as does CONI.
Old 03-11-18, 02:10 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
The KOPS crowd differs as does CONI.
I am in the "KOPS crowd", and the purpose of KOPS is to find your approximate saddle set back, not dictate a certain fit based on femur length.

Additonally, longer than average femurs don't actually change the saddle set back by an important distance. Shorter than average femurs can.
Old 03-11-18, 02:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I sorted out my bike fit before the internet, I cannot do the same for someone else using it..

But as a cycle tourist I have a different posture on the bike (more upright) , than some one aspiring to go fast, by bending way over..

to each their own..

now big city high end shops buy fitting kits to test compare, with data.. etc.
never had a gig with one ..at a more basic level

bike goes on the trainer stand so they can pedal and a conversation can take place on the options.. in person..

Good luck with the back pain, had any history of back injuries ?

Old 03-11-18, 06:17 PM
M83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@MadDog1999... I have some observations.
First of all, the pics you posted are useless. How is someone supposed to judge the reach if your photos are not normal to the plane defined by the bike?
Second, what is the point of having a 115 stem on a 52cm road bike? Did it come with the bike or was it your choice? I think it is huge. What will happen if you try to remove some spacers? Then the reach will become even longer. Of course we have to consider the reach of the bike but my little experience tells me that if someone puts a 11cm stem to a 52 then this means that he does it on purpose. Like for example a professional who rides a size smaller in order to get very low (and of course he/she has to compensate with a longer stem).
Also have in mind that a 52 might be a little big for a 5'5" man.
Third, your saddle is too low. The seat post is not exposed at all so you are losing some flexibility which would add to the comfort.
Finally, have you measured the distance from the nose of the saddle to the bars? Also, what is your saddle setback?
Old 03-11-18, 07:25 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by M83
@MadDog1999... I have some observations.
First of all, the pics you posted are useless. How is someone supposed to judge the reach if your photos are not normal to the plane defined by the bike?
Second, what is the point of having a 115 stem on a 52cm road bike? Did it come with the bike or was it your choice? I think it is huge. What will happen if you try to remove some spacers? Then the reach will become even longer. Of course we have to consider the reach of the bike but my little experience tells me that if someone puts a 11cm stem to a 52 then this means that he does it on purpose. Like for example a professional who rides a size smaller in order to get very low (and of course he/she has to compensate with a longer stem).
Also have in mind that a 52 might be a little big for a 5'5" man.
Third, your saddle is too low. The seat post is not exposed at all so you are losing some flexibility which would add to the comfort.
Finally, have you measured the distance from the nose of the saddle to the bars? Also, what is your saddle setback?
110mm stem is the median size. Why would 115 be "huge"? What do you consider normal, 80mm?
Old 03-11-18, 07:47 PM
M83

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
110mm stem is the median size. Why would 115 be "huge"? What do you consider normal, 80mm?

90mm. I've seen this length being used by companies at size 52, at least bikes having an aggressive geometry and a long reach.
Old 03-11-18, 08:07 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by M83
90mm. I've seen this length being used by companies at size 52, at least bikes having an aggressive geometry and a long reach.
If you start with a 90mm, your customers don't have anywhere to go if they need longer. 20 years ago the "normal" range of stem sizes was 90-130. Short people don't benefit from short stems, and tall people don't need long stems. People need adjustability.
Old 03-12-18, 01:06 PM
MadDog1999

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replies! Could a saddle that is too low cause back problems also, or could a higher saddle reduce reach? I have heard to have the saddle hip height as a starting point and now I realised it is well below my hip. Will have to set it on the trainer Wednesday and figure it out
Old 03-12-18, 01:19 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by MadDog1999
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replies! Could a saddle that is too low cause back problems also, or could a higher saddle reduce reach? I have heard to have the saddle hip height as a starting point and now I realised it is well below my hip. Will have to set it on the trainer Wednesday and figure it out
A low saddle can definitely cause back pain.

"Hip height"? That's absurd - are you going to lower your saddle because you bought larger tires and the bike got taller? Set up your saddle height and set back properly, then worry about your reach.
Old 03-12-18, 01:29 PM
MadDog1999

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
A low saddle can definitely cause back pain.

"Hip height"? That's absurd - are you going to lower your saddle because you bought larger tires and the bike got taller? Set up your saddle height and set back properly, then worry about your reach.
Ah ok, will have to properly set it, as I can touch the ground with a lot of my front of my foot while seated and told I shouldn't be able to do that
Old 03-12-18, 02:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Ah ok, will have to properly set it, as I can touch the ground with a lot of my front of my foot while seated and told I shouldn't be able to do that
Yes. Set up your fit for riding, not stopping.
Old 03-12-18, 05:31 PM
pakossa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Hi Guys,
ANYTHING wrong with bike fit can cause a sore low back: saddle OR handlebar being too high, low, forward, or rearward (or any combination). Of course, figuring out which it is can be very time consuming. And, everyone is different, so what hurts one person -- say, a big bar drop -- can be comfortable for another.