Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Bike Pre-Fitting For New Bike

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Bike Pre-Fitting For New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 09:06 AM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tusk
Like you, I am 5'-10" +/- with a ~30" inseam. I have one 58 cm. two 56 cm, and one 54 cm. All are relatively comfortable to ride with the two 56es best. I started with the 58 cm (freebee from my brother) and then went smaller after riding for a few years. As others have stated above, your fit will change as you get miles under you.

I would buy an inexpensive local used bike in the size you think you want, ride it, tweek it, learn from it, and after you are comfortable, in better shape with different flexibility than now, spend the $3-4k for what you want.
Yeah, I hear you but buying a cheaper bike (which will likely still be $1k or more) is not my cup of tea. All of this is making me thing that a pre-bike fitting is worth is so I can set myself as best as I can from the start.
Likes For howaboutme:
Old 01-05-24, 11:38 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by howaboutme
Yeah, I hear you but buying a cheaper bike (which will likely still be $1k or more) is not my cup of tea. All of this is making me thing that a pre-bike fitting is worth is so I can set myself as best as I can from the start.
I agree with your sentiment, but . . .before I bought my "forever bike" I went through 3 older, used steel bikes changing up to a slightly better bike each time.

I was pretty much you. I hadn't been on a road bike in decades and needed to rediscover the sport, which had changed a lot - shoes, pedals, clothes, gearing, wheels, tires, position, everything. I subscribed to Bicycling magazine for a year to catch up on what was going on. Only one year because they repeat all their stories every year, just in a slightly different format. That process worked perfectly for me. By the time I was ready to buy an expensive bike, I'd already worked up to finishing a double century and knew exactly what I wanted. Starting from zero, that process took 2 years. I had a great time becoming a rider again. One of the things I discovered was that the bike was the least important ingredient for cycling comfort and performance.
Old 01-05-24, 05:46 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
What does independent mean? A fitter that is not tied to a bike shop? The one above is as close as it gets. It's a sports coaching shop that CAN sell you bikes. All of the others are tied to shops. One does the the Shimano Fit System (I assume competitor to the GURU system).
Yeah, not tied to a shop is pretty much what I meant. When I saw the GURU reference in your earlier post I assumed it was a shop. I'm not used to seeing GURU outside of a shop environment.

When you say they CAN sell you a bike, does that mean any bike? Or are they "dealers" of any particular brands? Being a dealer is not a bad thing, I'm just curious. If they are dealers, I'd also be curious to know if they try to steer you towards the brands they sell or if they are somewhat agnostic. Also, what type of post-purchase fit services do they provide? If you purchase a bike from them after having them do a sizing, do they include a fit for the new bike? It would be nice if they did.
Old 01-05-24, 05:52 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I agree with your sentiment, but . . .before I bought my "forever bike" I went through 3 older, used steel bikes changing up to a slightly better bike each time.

I was pretty much you. I hadn't been on a road bike in decades and needed to rediscover the sport, which had changed a lot - shoes, pedals, clothes, gearing, wheels, tires, position, everything. I subscribed to Bicycling magazine for a year to catch up on what was going on. Only one year because they repeat all their stories every year, just in a slightly different format. That process worked perfectly for me. By the time I was ready to buy an expensive bike, I'd already worked up to finishing a double century and knew exactly what I wanted. Starting from zero, that process took 2 years. I had a great time becoming a rider again. One of the things I discovered was that the bike was the least important ingredient for cycling comfort and performance.
Gradually upgrading over time is wise because, like you said, by the time you get to your "forever bike" you really know what you want that bike to be. Purchasing the "forever bike" too soon may result in a parting of the ways sooner rather than later. But I really don't think that's a big deal if the budget allows for it.

Sometimes buying a "better bike than you need" creates more excitement and motivation to ride, which is always a good thing. Plus, there's no rule against keeping the first bike and buying another one. How many of us only have one bike? Not me.
Old 01-05-24, 06:46 PM
howaboutme

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
Yeah, not tied to a shop is pretty much what I meant. When I saw the GURU reference in your earlier post I assumed it was a shop. I'm not used to seeing GURU outside of a shop environment.

When you say they CAN sell you a bike, does that mean any bike? Or are they "dealers" of any particular brands? Being a dealer is not a bad thing, I'm just curious. If they are dealers, I'd also be curious to know if they try to steer you towards the brands they sell or if they are somewhat agnostic. Also, what type of post-purchase fit services do they provide? If you purchase a bike from them after having them do a sizing, do they include a fit for the new bike? It would be nice if they did.
This is the place: deleted

Click bike and fitting and then click "Click Here for Bike Seat Demo Program". I guess web design is not their strong suit?

I should have done some research first! This place I had referenced has closed. Oh well...

Originally Posted by Turnin_Wrenches
Gradually upgrading over time is wise because, like you said, by the time you get to your "forever bike" you really know what you want that bike to be. Purchasing the "forever bike" too soon may result in a parting of the ways sooner rather than later. But I really don't think that's a big deal if the budget allows for it.

Sometimes buying a "better bike than you need" creates more excitement and motivation to ride, which is always a good thing. Plus, there's no rule against keeping the first bike and buying another one. How many of us only have one bike? Not me.
This!!!!!

I really have no issues buying a better bike because it will motivate me more, and then, buying a better one (or likely upgrading if bike fits) later. I have a personality where I will be unsatisfied knowing I didn't buy the best bike I can just because I was worried that it would not be my forever bike. Plus, doesn't the extra price tag mean an increase in mph? Yeah...

Last edited by howaboutme; 01-05-24 at 07:25 PM. Reason: link to bike fit place removed because place has closed.
Old 01-05-24, 09:14 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
About a couple decades ago, I saw a sports medicine doctor regarding pain in my shoulder. He wanted to know details about my various activities and bicycling came up. That’s when I found out that they actually do a personalized fit for their patients for bicycles. There was never any steering me into buying a bicycle from any specific place. I guess, this is as independent as it gets.
You may want to look into something similar, if available from your medical-business.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-06-24, 05:30 PM
howaboutme

Just saw someone post this website in another thread:

www.myvelofit.com

Any thoughts from the community?
Old 01-07-24, 02:47 PM
howaboutme

I went to a local shop today and tried out 3 bikes.

- BMC 23 Roadmachine 01 THREE at 56cm
- Specialized 24 Roubaix at 54cm

- BMC 23 Teammachine at 54cm

The bike's were tested based on size and not necessarily based on budget. It's what they had available. My thoughts:

- BMC 23 Roadmachine 01 THREE at 56cm: Felt comfortable but had a feeling that it wasn't aggressive enough, like the brakes (using top of hoods) were too close.
- Specialized 24 Roubaix at 54cm: Felt comfortable and better than the one above. It felt a bit more aggressive, hard to explain.
- B
MC 23 Teammachine at 54cm: Because I felt like I could handle a more aggressive geometry, they had me test out the team machine geometry. I have to admit, it felt good too!

So I'm all over the place! The only conclusion that came out of testing those 3 bikes is that 54cm seemed better but that's just from a few minutes of riding around so not truly tested. At the end of the day, I still think an endurance bike is best because it'll allow me to fit wider tires if I want to do some gravel riding.

This place offers fittings w/ the Specialized Retul system. I may do that to get a good baseline. I also want to see more brands, particularly Giant. More to do!
Old 01-07-24, 03:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Whether you do retul or the myvelofit, it'll be interesting to see what they recommend for you if they are free or don't cost much. The one thing they can't really tell you, nor can any of us, is whether you will like a very relaxed fit, a somewhat aero fit or a very aero and aggressive race fit. Some will like all those fits, some will like one or two and some won't be able to tolerate any for very long.

If they give you recommendations for actual models and what size in them to try, then that will be a plus compared to some fittings that just give you a bunch of numbers to go out and look for.

Still I wonder if they'll be much different than just looking for the brands suggested sizing for that bike and then realizing that a size up or down from that might feel better depending on what your preference is.

When you change sizes within the same model of bike, frame stack and frame reach are generally the noticeable changes. Stack affecting how much saddle to bar drop you might get and reach affecting how far your hands are out in front of you. Assuming the same number of spacers under the stem and the same length stem and same bars.

But also other things change too. So watch for longer/shorter cranks and wider/narrower bars. If you have a preference for one or the other, then cranks particularly could be a expensive change. Bars too if you want very high tier bars. Plain alloy bars aren't too expensive if you need wider or narrower than your size bike comes with.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-13-24, 05:44 PM
howaboutme

I went to try the Giant Defy today. I actually tried the TCR too, why not? They only had both in the M/L but it fit pretty well in the limited test ride that I did. The seat had to be lowered a bit though. Seeing the seat that low made it seem weird but I guess all that matters is it feels good. Overall both TCR and Defy felt good but the Defy was noticeably more comfortable, as it should. Both bikes were of the same trim level so I was more or less comparing apples to apples on everything except the bike geometry. I was not comfortable saying the M/L is my size so I asked them to try and source an M size so I can try that. Overall, I feel good about it. I've read and watched tons of videos on this so glad I finally rode one.

I'm going to try and see the Trek Domane tomorrow and still have not decided if I'm going to do a pre-bike fit.
Likes For howaboutme:
Old 01-14-24, 06:52 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Looking at bike geometry. Sizes do vary between manufacturers!

Giant Defy, in Medium:
Stack 558mm, Reach 380mm.

Giant TCR advanced disc 1 pro compact, in Medium:
Stack 545mm, Reach 388mm. So the bars are 13mm lower, 8mm longer reach. (Standard height spacers under the stem are 10mm each.)

~~~
Roubaix SL8, in 54cm:
Stack 585mm, Reach 381mm. a 27mm higher stack than the Defy. Similar reach.

Roubaix SL8 in 56mm:
Stack 605mm, Reach 389mm. a 60mm higher stack than the TCR. That's a big difference! Similar reach.

~~~
Trek Domane SL5 Gen 4 in 54cm. (most sizes are out of stock on their website!)
Stack 575mm, Reach 374mm. Stack heights in between the bikes above. A bit shorter reach too.

Trek Domane SL5 Gen 4 in 56cm:
Stack 591mm, Reach 377mm. Note that this 2cm larger frame is only 3mm longer reach. That's not unusual, though.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-14-24 at 07:07 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 01-14-24, 07:09 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I haven't shopped for bikes in 9 years, but in the past, I've always been able to do a long, solo test ride. 30 minutes or an hour. That long ride was useful. I wonder what shop policy is now.

Bike clothing: the shop won't care if you just bring street clothes. But with these nice bikes, you'll want real bike shorts with your new bike, which are so much better for rides over 30 minutes or so. And bike shoes too, but the test rides can have disposable flat pedals for street shoes attached to the clipless pedals, or perhaps some inexpensive flat pedals instead of the clipless pedals.
More stuff to shop and decide!

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-14-24 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-15-24, 01:01 PM
howaboutme

How does one justify the Trek? It road great but comparing it to the Giant, it's hard to think that a few extra mm tire clearance and frame storage is worth it? Plus the extra weight....
Old 01-15-24, 02:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If needing wider tires because you'll always be riding in loose gravel might be one way to justify it. However for the paved road, they are all wide enough.

Consider the group sets that are on them. I don't have any gripes about mechanical. But I did have to adjust my mechanical groups about once a year or maybe more. Electronic shifting has been maintenance free for the entire 4 years I've had my bike with Di2. Other than when I thought I knew better and mucked up some settings in eTube project and I took it back to the shop and they fixed my mistake. They got a good laugh so I guess that's why they didn't charge me to correct it. Though electronic does leave you with more potential costs if something physically or truly get screwed up beyond repair.

Frame storage. meh! Not for me. I don't like bulky looking down tubes. But if that's you, then go for it.

How about color? Red and other brightly colored bikes are faster! <grin> Hey face it, aesthetics are everything. Which bike appeals to you and says "ride me!"
Old 01-15-24, 05:32 PM
howaboutme

Originally Posted by Iride01
If needing wider tires because you'll always be riding in loose gravel might be one way to justify it. However for the paved road, they are all wide enough.

Consider the group sets that are on them. I don't have any gripes about mechanical. But I did have to adjust my mechanical groups about once a year or maybe more. Electronic shifting has been maintenance free for the entire 4 years I've had my bike with Di2. Other than when I thought I knew better and mucked up some settings in eTube project and I took it back to the shop and they fixed my mistake. They got a good laugh so I guess that's why they didn't charge me to correct it. Though electronic does leave you with more potential costs if something physically or truly get screwed up beyond repair.

Frame storage. meh! Not for me. I don't like bulky looking down tubes. But if that's you, then go for it.

How about color? Red and other brightly colored bikes are faster! <grin> Hey face it, aesthetics are everything. Which bike appeals to you and says "ride me!"
I agree that the Trek downtube is huge! It reminds me of the old 90s Cannondale's. I'm not much of a bright color person for bikes and I can ride anything but the Giant, to me, looks better and looks faster.
Old 01-18-24, 07:23 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

How does one justify the Trek? It road great but comparing it to the Giant, it's hard to think that a few extra mm tire clearance and frame storage is worth it? Plus the extra weight....
I think the Domane is a solid bike, but looking at the chart you created I'm not able to make an argument for the Domane over the Defy.

As for mechanical or electronic... The quality of shifting with the Di2 stuff is excellent (105 or Ultegra), battery life is quite long IMO, and it's extremely reliable. Plus, you can easily adjust your drivetrain with the eTube Project app on your phone..
Old 01-19-24, 06:58 AM
howaboutme

Thanks! Yes, I agree.

I've also added the BMC Roadmachine to the mix. However, that bike's tire clearance is dramatically smaller than the others so I would to rethink the light graveling on that bike....Nothing to test out now since we have snow on the ground. Hopefully in a week or so.
Old 01-20-24, 07:20 PM
howaboutme

Well...I'm sold on the Giant Defy! The shop found a Medium for me to try (I already tested the M/L) and it felt better and I felt confident that this is the one (even though I only tested on a trainer) so I went for it. So I answered my own question. I did not do a pre-bike fit!. I'll go back in to pick up the bike and get some adjustments done at that time. Then we'll go from there! Can't ride anyways right now.

Annoyed that the crankset is not a true 105!!!

PS... This is a 2023. Apparently you can't find any 2024s at this trim....

Last edited by howaboutme; 01-20-24 at 09:18 PM.