Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Choosing wheels for a build

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-24, 07:20 AM
Mr. Sawdust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all, I'm new here and looking for info. Just getting back into cycling and doing my first build. Let's say retro-ish. I'm trying to decide between two sets of wheels I have. Mavic Open Pro with Ultegra hubs (built by Wheelsmith) vs Velo Orange with Grand Cru hubs. If I'm looking for durability and performance which set should I go with. Thanks
Old 03-18-24, 07:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
For most normal riding, either is probably fine. Don't sweat your decision on wheels too much. They've been making them for a long time. Even the crappy ones are good enough for just tooling around.

Velo Orange will probably look more retro if that's what's going to please you. Shimano and Mavic might have the edge on performance if you are going to be riding hard and fast. You can find better, but for just riding those are probably more than adequate. Though I have no experience with Velo Orange anything and have used Mavic Open Pros and Mavic Open Elites with Shimano Ultegra and 105 hubs.

Welcome to BF.
Old 03-18-24, 08:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Are the VO wheels the 'Enterprise' model on their website? If so, I wouldnt say those wheels are performance based at all. Like not in any way. The weight isnt performance based and the rim shape isnt performance based.
The VO Enterprise wheels should be plenty durable as they are 32spoke hubs, handbuilt with proper tension, and use butted spokes.

If you are looking for a new wheelset that is rim brake, not tubeless(based on your initial 2 choices), and 'retro' looking, Velomine sells some good options that will be quite bombproof and cost a lot less than the VO wheelset. The Velomine wheels will be machine built, but they are simple to adjust, if needed. None are light, but the options you mentioned also arent light. These would all at least be less expensive, if that is a motivation.

Some bombproof spec wheels with black rims.
https://velomine.com/products/h-plus...t-sapim-spokes
https://velomine.com/products/h-plus...bs-36h-dt-comp
https://velomine.com/products/h-plus...bs-36h-dt-comp
https://velomine.com/products/veloci...avel-bike-700c

Silver option that is tubeless compatible.
https://velomine.com/products/veloci...ke-wheels-8-11

ETA- admittedly, I do not understand the appeal of most Mavic rims, especially the ones at the lower/basic end of their line. I swear they still exist based on historical name recognition and nothing more.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-18-24, 11:59 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...Archtype rims are great rims, but they are hardly "retro" in appearance. Unless maybe you're young enough that you don't recall the days of MA-40's. VO has had, in the past, some rims that met standards for "performance" (whatever that means in this context ?). AFAIK, they've gone with wider and heavier rims in their current product lineup. But I have at least one set of wheels I built with VO rims that are quite sporty. I think I put them on a Colnago, because of that.

I've built wheels with Open Pro rims as well, and they are a pretty decent production rim, depending on how much you pay for them. Usually it's pretty good value for the money...which is why people still use them.

But of the three, the H Plus Sons Archetype is probably "fastest", if that's important to you. I've built with them, too. They just don't look all that "retro" to my eye.

Since the OP has given a choice between two sets of wheels already in possession, I don't think there's much practical difference between the two choices offered, in durability or performance..
Old 03-18-24, 12:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Since the OP has given a choice between two sets of wheels already in possession, I don't think there's much practical difference between the two choices offered, in durability or performance..
Oh wow, I didnt read that part correctly. Yeah, both wheelsets are already owned by the OP. Well that was a waste of links by me!
In that case, pick whichever looks cooler or spins smoother...neither seem like they would be impactfully better than the other from a performance perspective.