Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge vs. Polar HRM vs. Power Tap

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 01:53 PM
docbluedevil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm in the market for a new computer. I've used a Vetta wireless computer/HRM/Cadence setup which bit the dust after one season.

Now I'm trying to decide between the Edge 305 deluxe bundle (about $300+), Polar 725 ($350+), and a Power Tap (about $500+ on ebay).

I've read the various threads about each of them which are somewhat helfpul, but the threads don't seem to discuss one computer's merits compared to another setup.

So, I'd like to see what you guys think. Why do you prefer one and not the other. I'm a cycling enthusiast who wants to train to become a better rider and plan to start racing this season.

Here are my intial thoughts:

GARMIN EDGE
Pros: GPS-related info, like being able to race myself (I ride solo mostly), easy to transfer from bike to bike
Cons: unreliable depending on overhead coverage, poor battery life

POLAR 725:
Pros: Nice compact package, easy to transfer from bike to bike
Cons: I hear that computer upload is unreliable

POWER TAP:
Pros: Wattage (new type of training)
Cons: Kinda bulky, a little more in cost, I have both a Campy and Shimano-equipped bike that I would like to use it on (doable, but a little impractical).

I'm leaning towards a used Power Tap Pro wheel, if I can find a decent deal.
Old 06-22-06, 02:01 PM
djbowen1

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you are talking about 3 different things, 1 is a GPS device w/heart rate, 1 is a HR only device, and 1 is a power meter..
Old 06-22-06, 02:05 PM
blue_nose
Scottish Canuck in the US

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cervélo Carbon Soloist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djbowen1
you are talking about 3 different things, 1 is a GPS device w/heart rate, 1 is a HR only device, and 1 is a power meter..
+ 1.

Really this will come down to, do you want to spend the extra money to train using watts.

BTW - I have a Garmin FR305 and have a buddy with an Edge. There are really not any problmes with reception anymore - it works very well.
Old 06-22-06, 02:08 PM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You need to decide want you want. I have seen the stats the 305 spits out and I would be getting that if I were in the market. Later.
Old 06-22-06, 03:05 PM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to vote for the powertap. I just got one, and it is the best computer I have owned. I only wish it had an altitude function. The computer is not really that bulky. The back wheel is a little heavier. It is also the only computer I pretty much figured out within 30 minutes. Most of the others had a longer learning curve. I was expecting the power tap to be really difficult, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I bought a HAC 4 that didn't work, got a replacement, and sold it without using it. The HAC4 is pretty cool, but it would have taken me forever to figure that one out.

Good luck,
Richard
Old 06-22-06, 03:42 PM
docbluedevil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djbowen1
I wrote Polar HRM as a generic term (in the title) for the cycling-specific Polar devices such as the 710 or 725 (if those are the correct numbers). I specified the 725 in the actual post. Anyways...

The Polar and Edge computers offer similar functions (speed, cadence, HR, etc), whereas the Power tap would also offer wattage (less altitude).

So, it's not really 3 things. Sorry about the confusion.

Last edited by docbluedevil; 06-22-06 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 03:47 PM
docbluedevil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_nose
BTW - I have a Garmin FR305 and have a buddy with an Edge. There are really not any problmes with reception anymore - it works very well.
Good to know. The other threads I have read had inconsistent anecdotes. I do like the idea of racing a previous ride on the edge, as well as the altitude (vertical gain) data.

I think I'm leaning towards the Edge or the Power Tap.

I understand the difference is ability to train with watts. And I understand that you all know that too. That's why I'm asking, knowing that, what did you all decide to do.
Old 06-22-06, 03:54 PM
docbluedevil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue_nose
Really this will come down to, do you want to spend the extra money to train using watts.

I think that this is the heart to the matter as well.

Is it worth it. For retail prices, Edge ($300), Power Tap wheel ($800), probably not.

On the used market, the difference is actually much smaller. More like $300 vs. $500-600. After reading the Competitive Cyclist power meter article, I felt more knowledgeable about what a power meter could offer beyond an Edge/Polar/other cyclomete. But maybe, I'm just a sucker for a new thing.

I wouldn't consider the power tap if I wasn't as interested as I am these days in riding to become better/faster as opposed to just riding to ride.
Old 06-22-06, 07:01 PM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Forerunner 305, which I believe has the same gps chip as the edge, and the gps reception has been flawless so far.
Old 06-22-06, 08:38 PM
dr_cantalope

Bikes: Fuji Sagres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't really say anything about the other 2, but I had a a Polar 725 for exactly 2 days before getting rid of it. It does everything, but doesn't do it well. The sensors are unreliable at best, and it's slow to update so you're not really getting a true measurement of your speed etc. I was happy to go from my $300 all in one computer back to my "El Cheapo" Sigma Sport.
Old 06-22-06, 08:49 PM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like the other's said it's up to you, but i'm not parting with my powertap anytime soon. Infact i'll be looking for another set of PT wheels over the winter, something light for raceday, i'm probably going to end up with a set of zipp's.
Old 06-22-06, 08:50 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by docbluedevil
I wouldn't consider the power tap if I wasn't as interested as I am these days in riding to become better/faster as opposed to just riding to ride.
i think you hit it on the nail here. training with watts will do just that. i have an edge 305 and it's great, but when it comes down to how much work i'm doing and how to train better i would have gotten the powertap. next year.

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 06-22-06, 10:11 PM
zimbo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought the Edge 305 earlier this year and got my new Mike Garcia wheels with PowerTap SL yesterday. I really don't need the Edge anymore and, frankly, training with a power meter is really, really cool.

Now pardon me while I go crank it up to 400 watts

--Steve
Old 06-22-06, 11:38 PM
docbluedevil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigskymacadam
i think you hit it on the nail here. training with watts will do just that. i have an edge 305 and it's great, but when it comes down to how much work i'm doing and how to train better i would have gotten the powertap. next year.
This is what I am looking for. This is what I'm thinking as well.
Old 06-23-06, 06:37 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the others. I have the edge and if you want a cool gadget that can help you monitor your training it does a great job. However, if you want to do serious training I would go for the power tap.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-23-06, 08:03 AM
schumi
Wannabe

Bikes: '04 BMC Harry custom · '06 BMC Streetfire SS01 · '09 BMC SL 01 Road Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Edge which I've been using quite a bit recently, and even while driving through a forest for some time I never had any reception issues. The thing even has 3D reception inside my flat when I've had outside just before.

Same goes for battery life, I never got further down than two bars on the battery scale. Then again, I've never really used it in cold weather so far, I'd expect worse battery performance there.

The only issue I've had with it so far, the other day I stopped by a friend's after a ride to fix some computer problems, and switched the Edge off. When I left again, I put it on the bike again, switched it on, and it magically added about 20km (13m) to my distance... Makes for real good average speed I tell you. But then again, that can be worked around by using laps and combining them on motionbased, I suppose.

2009 BMC SL 01 Road Racer
2006 BMC Streetfire SS01
Old 06-23-06, 09:12 AM
RD Olivaw
I drew this vvvv

Bikes: '05 Specialized Tarmac Pro / '05 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zimbo
I bought the Edge 305 earlier this year and got my new Mike Garcia wheels with PowerTap SL yesterday. I really don't need the Edge anymore and, frankly, training with a power meter is really, really cool.

Now pardon me while I go crank it up to 400 watts

--Steve
I've read reviews that say the Powertap software is substandard compared to Polar's and I imagine Garmin's also. Has that been a problem for you? Have you used any of the 3rd party software packages?
Old 06-23-06, 09:27 AM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's true, PT software is pretty basic, i preffer the Link software over that stupid yellow power agent software. Link get's the job done and lets me analyze what i need to, if i wanted to obsess over it and play with my power files for hours on end you can always pick up cycling peaks which everyone raves on about. But link lets me zoom in on my sprints, hills, and entire races and gives me the avg power, speed, cadence, hr, pw/kg, pw/hr figures for what i want. That's all i really need, and then just breifly look over the graph, see where my strong and week points are. The rest i can just figure out in my head.
Old 06-23-06, 09:33 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
If you're racing and can afford it, I would highly reccomend a power tap. I think training with power is a big step forward over training with HR alone. And if working with a coach is in the cards, having the powertap data sent by email to your coach is very valuable.

If you're not really going to use the power data, I wouldn't spend the money.
I'd suggest you buy the Training with Power book , by Allen and Coggan, and then decide.

and as for software, get the cyclingpeaks software with the powertap.
Old 06-23-06, 10:11 AM
docbluedevil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krazyderek
It's true, PT software is pretty basic, i preffer the Link software over that stupid yellow power agent software. Link get's the job done and lets me analyze what i need to, if i wanted to obsess over it and play with my power files for hours on end you can always pick up cycling peaks which everyone raves on about. But link lets me zoom in on my sprints, hills, and entire races and gives me the avg power, speed, cadence, hr, pw/kg, pw/hr figures for what i want. That's all i really need, and then just breifly look over the graph, see where my strong and week points are. The rest i can just figure out in my head.
This is one of my concerns about power meters. From the various manufacturer websites, the software seems confusing to me and difficult to interpret, whereas the Polar and Garmin software seems intuitive.
Old 06-23-06, 10:13 AM
docbluedevil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
as for software, get the cyclingpeaks software with the powertap.
Good to know. I'll check it out.
Old 06-23-06, 10:29 AM
zimbo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I second merlin's advice. If you're going to plunk down $1000+ on a set of PT SL enabled wheels then you need to make two additional purchases: (1) the CyclingPeaks WKO+ software and (2) a copy of the Allen/Coggan book referenced above. An optional additional purchase would be either a human coach or one of the TrainingPeaks.com training plans.

The CP software is what makes the PowerTap data really "come alive" if you ask me.

--Steve
Old 06-23-06, 10:36 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_cantalope
Can't really say anything about the other 2, but I had a a Polar 725 for exactly 2 days before getting rid of it. It does everything, but doesn't do it well. The sensors are unreliable at best, and it's slow to update so you're not really getting a true measurement of your speed etc. I was happy to go from my $300 all in one computer back to my "El Cheapo" Sigma Sport.
I had the 725 too and had the same troubles. For the money you would think the unit would be more reliable. I'm using a Cateye double wireless now and love it. BTW, the Polar has a power meter option as long as you want to dough out even more money.
Old 06-23-06, 10:38 AM
Greg180
Realist

Bikes: Roubaix, Tarmac, Fixed Gear

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Another vote for the Edge...I have had mine since March and have had no issues. Although I don't train with watts it has been excellent at helping me increase my pace, cadenance and climbing skills. I have had no reception issues.

I personally would not spend the dough on a power tap unless I was also going to hire a trainer/coach to get the most out of it.
Old 06-23-06, 02:26 PM
docbluedevil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zimbo
If you're going to plunk down $1000+ on a set of PT SL enabled wheels then you need to make two additional purchases: (1) the CyclingPeaks WKO+ software and (2) a copy of the Allen/Coggan book.
I'm sure you're right, as the included software is not intuitive to me. The added cost separates the somewhat close gap in cost between and Edge and a PT wheel, which makes me lean towards a lower cost option such as the Edge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.