Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First Century

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First Century

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-06, 01:15 PM
dr_cantalope

Bikes: Fuji Sagres

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Century

1 year ago on this date I was told that I had a gigantic tumor in my chest which turned out to be cancer. I went through surgery, chemo and endured massive complications, but have made it through. To celebrate 1 year, I decided to ride a century, which incidentally was my first. The goal was to do it in under 6 hours which was quite a stretch for me.

Total mileage 101.69.
Total time 5hr 48min 27sec.
Averaged 17.49mph.

I met my goal and then some! Seeing the odometer hit 100 with time to spare really was a rush and gave me the boost to really hammer it home for that last mile and a half.

The ride was absolutely beautiful and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. My cue sheet took me through very varied terrain. I rode from the big hills of Harriman State Park in Orange County New York, down through Rockland county and into Bergen County New Jersey, turning around at the George Washington Bridge. I fought for every second on the clock and my legs were in agony, but I wanted that sub 6 hour time so bad I could taste it. I've only been riding since March, but thought I'd share what to me is a very significant milestone in my cycling and life.

With that all said it's time to feed my competative nature. How does my century time stack up with the rest of you?
Old 07-07-06, 01:22 PM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_cantalope
How does my century time stack up with the rest of you?
faster than mine. that's awesome. good job.

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 07-07-06, 01:25 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Congratulations on both victories!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-07-06, 01:26 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Done hundreds of centuries, really. Don't think I've ever done one under 6 hours total time, but I'm never in a hurry. p.s. congratulations on being here to do a century.
Old 07-07-06, 01:30 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's one heck of a great time! A sincere grats on beating the odds with cancer! I wish you many healthy cancer-free yrs ... and on the bike.
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 07-07-06, 01:40 PM
jjmolyet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You inspire! I am doing first century in a couple months, congrats on your monumental time for a 1st Century, I am sure you will have many more! Definition of LIVESTRONG
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
Old 07-07-06, 01:42 PM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent!
Old 07-07-06, 01:43 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Awesome work, and congrats!
Old 07-07-06, 02:26 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on both! Your time is very good!
Old 07-07-06, 03:04 PM
kmac17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm doing my first century in about a month and would be ubber happy with a sub 6 hour time. Congrats. Big time.
Old 07-07-06, 03:24 PM
Journeyman

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very inspiring and a great story. Congratulations. Maybe I will try and do a Century? I want to but have been told to do a metric instead? After seeing your story, I think I'll give it a shot in a couple of months. September.

"It is a sublime thing to suffer and be stronger."Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

jman
Old 07-07-06, 05:36 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's fantastic! A good time on a tough course with lots of rolling hills. I say tough course because I know the area, but which event was this? I saw up at Bear Mt. last weekend and saw some funny road markings like "having fun yet?" after a long uphill stretch or something to that effect. It looked like markings for a century...
Old 07-07-06, 05:38 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! And thanks for sharing your story.
Old 07-07-06, 05:55 PM
Brandy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on both of your victories! I'm doing my first century in August and I'm just hoping to finish.

Wheels Rolling
Old 07-07-06, 07:27 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, what a way to celebrate that anniversary! great stuff! congratulations, and all the best.
Old 07-07-06, 07:37 PM
dr_cantalope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
That's fantastic! A good time on a tough course with lots of rolling hills. I say tough course because I know the area, but which event was this? I saw up at Bear Mt. last weekend and saw some funny road markings like "having fun yet?" after a long uphill stretch or something to that effect. It looked like markings for a century...
The event was "Josh's Unofficial, No T-Shirt, No Charity, Just Because I Can, Century". It was just a personal ride to prove to myself what I could do. I rode it solo and in honor of my grandfather (as well as some others) who passed away recently after succumbing to cancer himself.

Incidentallly, the ride/roads were absolutely stunning, if anybody in the New York Metro area is interested in a cue sheet please PM me.
Old 07-07-06, 07:47 PM
jschen
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With that all said it's time to feed my competative nature. How does my century time stack up with the rest of you?
Forgot to address this part earlier...

Your average speed was higher than my average speed on any closed loop ride I've ever done (of any distance).
Old 07-07-06, 07:50 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Stories like this are why I can't totally hate Lance. I know everyone does things on there own but how many lives has the guy saved by just showing that it can be done.

Good job on beating cancer and running a fast century.
Old 07-07-06, 08:52 PM
dr_cantalope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Stories like this are why I can't totally hate Lance. I know everyone does things on there own but how many lives has the guy saved by just showing that it can be done.

Good job on beating cancer and running a fast century.
First off thanks...

Every non-cycling person I know compares me to Lance. I absolutely hate it. The guy is an amazing athlete, and his accomplishments are nothing to scoff at, but just becuase I had cancer and ride a bike doesn't make me Lance Armstrong (actually it makes me tougher than him because I had cancer FIRST and THEN decided to start riding a bike... eat your heart out Armstrong... )

But you're right, all it takes is a mindset, and it's amazing what one can accomplish. I'm reading the Chris Carmichael book right now, and there was one interesting passage in reference to mentally attacking a race that I think is really cool. It's something to the effect of, "Set you sights on the stars and you'll still land on the moon."
Old 07-07-06, 10:05 PM
Pedal Wench

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dr.C - congrats on both successes! I've done a number of centuries, and NONE as fast as yours!

I would love to see your cue sheet. I grew up in Rockland Co., but didn't start to ride until after I left. I would love to see your route, in case I decide to ride when I visit the family.

Keep on hammering!
Old 07-08-06, 05:02 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
1 year ago on this date I was told that I had a gigantic tumor in my chest which turned out to be cancer. I went through surgery, chemo and endured massive complications, but have made it through. To celebrate 1 year, I decided to ride a century, which incidentally was my first. The goal was to do it in under 6 hours which was quite a stretch for me.

Total mileage 101.69.
Total time 5hr 48min 27sec.
Averaged 17.49mph.

I met my goal and then some! Seeing the odometer hit 100 with time to spare really was a rush and gave me the boost to really hammer it home for that last mile and a half.

The ride was absolutely beautiful and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. My cue sheet took me through very varied terrain. I rode from the big hills of Harriman State Park in Orange County New York, down through Rockland county and into Bergen County New Jersey, turning around at the George Washington Bridge. I fought for every second on the clock and my legs were in agony, but I wanted that sub 6 hour time so bad I could taste it. I've only been riding since March, but thought I'd share what to me is a very significant milestone in my cycling and life.

Faster than mine as well, and a great job, congrats!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 07-08-06, 06:03 AM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats Dr. Cantaloupe! I've never done a century so I can't compare my times to yours, and I've never had cancer either. Good job on such a magnificent recovery.