Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike and abridged ride report

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 11:16 PM
dr_cantalope

Bikes: Fuji Sagres

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It started off as a desire to change my triple crankset to a double. Then, I got the urge to replace the front derailleur. And why stop there? Might as well change out my long cage to a short cage rear derailleur. Well, long story short, instead of spending all that money on upgrades, I traded in the whole bike and got me a new one. I'm now the proud owner of a new Cannondale R1000.

The upgrades from my previous bike (Cannondale R700) include:

CAAD 7 frame to CAAD 8 frame
Truvativ Elita triple crankset to a Truvativ Rolleur Carbon double crankset
105 brifters to Ultegra Brifters
Shimano 550 wheelset to Mavic Kysrium Elite wheelset
Cannondale Slice SI fork to full carbon fiber Cannondale Premium fork
Cannondale brand seatpost to carbon fiber FSA slk seatpost
Not sure what kind of handlebars to FSA alloy 250 handlebars
105 front derailleur to Ultegra front derailleur
Cannondale house brand brakes to Ultegra brakes

I haven't put her on the scale yet, but the bike is significantly lighter. The wheels are the biggest improvement. They just want to go fast. I've heard that just about the best thing one can do for performance is to invest in a good set of wheels, and while it made sense to me, I never expected this much of a difference. Granted the Ksyrium Elite wheels are not the best out there, but they are about 10 times better than my old ones. The biggest improvement I've notices is the smoothness of the drivetrain and the lightness/responsiveness of the wheels. The bike is very responsive and translates every twitch of my legs into speed. A few times during the ride tonight (just 25 miles) I sprinted, not so much to break away, but to see how the bike responded. It was fantastic. I didn't really want to drop the hammer to hard because I'm still getting used to the new gearing (52,42,30 vs 53,39).

While I was at the shop yesterday picking the bike up, I ran into a member of my club who is the leader of my Thursday night rides. On the cue sheet for tonights ride he printed, "Look out for Josh tonite. I heard he got a new bike!" When I rode up the meeting spot, pretty much everybody there was checking out my ride and giving it compliments which was really cool.

As required I took the prerequesite photo of the bike infront of my garage door. It's kind of a cruddy photo because I took it with my cell phone, so there's also a link to Cannondale's web site with a better photo and of course specs.

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/c...del-5RR1D.html

Old 07-21-06, 08:54 AM
Bike Lover
Should be riding

Bikes: C-dale- moutain, Pedal Force RS- Campy Record, Quiring Ti XTR, Red line Monocog, S E F@r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

How'd the group ride go?