Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can cycling over-specialize leg muscles?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 10:35 PM
dr_cantalope

Bikes: Fuji Sagres

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The combination of my schedule and the 1000 degree weather here in New York has meant that I haven't been able to get in a ride since the past Sunday.

This evening, as opposed to sitting on the couch and stuffing my face while I rotted my mind, I decided to get out and go for a run, just to get the heart rate up and hopefully offset all the junk I've been eating and not working off this week. I stretched before hand, and walked a lap around the block (about a 1/2 mile) before sinking into a nice pace somewhere inbetween a jog and a full on run.

Within about a 1/4 mile my quads started to shoot with searing pain, and felt like they were going to seize up (basically it felt like I pulled a muscle). So I slowed down and walked, and then tried the pace again. Basically, I cannot run. My cardiovascular system is in pretty good shape (I lead the A riders and keep up with the AA riders on a Saturday club ride).

Is it possible that my legs are simply trained for a bike and they will not work with the range of motion running requires? Or could it be that the high impact of running is doing something to hurt my legs? I hate running, but sometimes, a quick 30 minutes when it's dark out is all I can get in for the days exercise. I'm so frusturated! Also, the weather sucks, I really need to get an indoor trainer.
Old 08-03-06, 10:51 PM
SaintAndrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's hard to say if maybe your legs just aren't in shape for running as opposed to being messed up from cycling. realistically, to just out and do a half hour of running out of nowhere might make your claves and hammies cramp up.
Old 08-03-06, 10:53 PM
dr_cantalope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintAndrew
it's hard to say if maybe your legs just aren't in shape for running as opposed to being messed up from cycling. realistically, to just out and do a half hour of running out of nowhere might make your claves and hammies cramp up.
What's odd to me is that my hammies and calves feel great, it's my quads that are really hurting me. They're still sore 2.5 hours after I came back in.
Old 08-03-06, 10:57 PM
SaintAndrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_cantalope
What's odd to me is that my hammies and calves feel great, it's my quads that are really hurting me. They're still sore 2.5 hours after I came back in.
oh yeah sorry i read that wrong. that is weird about it being your quads. do you ride quite a bit? there is always that possibility they're overtrained. i heard the guys in the pro peleton don't even walk if they can help it.
Old 08-03-06, 11:00 PM
biolife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i heard the guys in the pro peleton don't even walk if they can help it.
Haha...that would suck...
Old 08-04-06, 03:02 AM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
this is quite common.....in addition to cycling i play allot of tennis. during a period where i cycle more than usual i tend to get tight quads and other problems on the tennis court.

the solution is to have balance and not just cycle. if you swim and/or run and play other sports in addition to your cycling routine you can eliminate these problems.

some basic resistance weight training can also help counterbalance overworked muscles
Old 08-04-06, 03:44 AM
SaintAndrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maximum01
this is quite common.....in addition to cycling i play allot of tennis. during a period where i cycle more than usual i tend to get tight quads and other problems on the tennis court.

the solution is to have balance and not just cycle. if you swim and/or run and play other sports in addition to your cycling routine you can eliminate these problems.

some basic resistance weight training can also help counterbalance overworked muscles
do you find that cycling takes some spring out of your legs?

i used to be able to almost dunk when i was about 5'6" (freshman in high school) but then i took up cycling and i can't jump wery high anymore.
Old 08-04-06, 04:06 AM
zappb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you sure its not shin splints?
Old 08-04-06, 04:34 AM
spiderbike
Walmart partner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't train to run, that is the problem...you don't see runners jump on bike and take off for a hour thier first time do you...if your quads are burning its not because your out of shape but just not trained. Running is a very slow twich sport. Have you seen how skinny runners legs are. Cycling has probable changed your legs into more fast twitch response...Because your in good shape it only take a few times out before your legs adapt to running...

Don't let the heat keep you of your bike, turn it into a challenge. It is much better to ride in a little heat then to be riding in the cold. You can also just ride in the morning if your too much of a wuss to ride in the heat. Again, your body will adapt to the heat...trust me.

ITs not shin splints Zappb! (Idiot)
Old 08-04-06, 04:56 AM
Cheezerod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you brought this up. I am sitting here at work in major pain and have been in pain since last Friday. playing softball and running my quads felt very sore for about three weeks. my right one went away but last friday my left one was really hurting. it was the same pain the you discribed. well i played on it anyway and now...well i have a 2nd degree tear in my left quad making it pretty much useless to me. i limp around have a very painfull time getting in to and out of the car and steps are a nightmare. I have to sleep with my leg proped up...the point stick with cycling becuase now I can not even do that. I and not a great rider but I read almost everyday but now. I can not ride for some time i guess becuase I can not even lift my left leg.
Old 08-04-06, 05:27 AM
maximum01

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro 2005 racer, Rideback Horozon audax/tourer, Specialized Rockhopper, Trek 520 (2020)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
yep, i'd say cycling does take away some of your natural agility when running or playing sports requiring rapid changes in direction (like tennis for example).

the best thing is just to have balance in your sports and training. as well as cycling to work and long sunday group rides, i swim an hour each week, life weights 30 mins twice a week and play tennis 2 x a week. when in the gym i concentrate on working the hanstrings and back leg muscles as advised in the excellent book "bike for life" which has guidelines on cycling specific exercise to stay balanced.

i find this routine keeps my muscles nicely balanced overall.
Old 08-04-06, 05:31 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do you find that cycling takes some spring out of your legs?

i used to be able to almost dunk when i was about 5'6" (freshman in high school) but then i took up cycling and i can't jump wery high anymore.
Are you sure you're not just getting old?

Anyway, running and cycling use different muscles. If you're not used to one or the other, you're going to be sore, especially if you try to go too hard too fast. Running is a lot higher impact than cycling, so there are more chances for an injury to occur, especially if you're new to running and try to go too hard too fast. It could be that you actually injured something, not that your legs are just sore.
Old 08-04-06, 07:07 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i heard the guys in the pro peleton don't even walk if they can help it.
Rules:
1) Do not stand if you can sit
2) Do not walk if you can stand
3) Do not take stairs if there is an elevator option

You get the idea.
Old 08-04-06, 06:39 PM
SaintAndrew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
Are you sure you're not just getting old?
lol yeah because this is a change i noticed from when i was like 15 to 16.
Old 08-04-06, 06:55 PM
Flak
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Different body mechanics. Your legs just aren't used to it, that's all.

Your muscles would be saying "what the hell is this ****?" if they could talk.
Old 08-04-06, 08:26 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two things:

Remember Champion's legs in The Triplets of Belleville?

Running is evil!
Old 08-04-06, 08:37 PM
dr_cantalope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been putting a decent amount of miles on the bike (200+ per week) and I guess I've got to start diversifying.
Old 08-05-06, 03:22 PM
Flak
Flatland hack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for a run, your quads will hate you
Old 08-05-06, 04:50 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Exclusively cycling CAN overdevelop the Quadriceps and underdevelop the Adductors.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 08-05-06, 10:08 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, you can get cycling-specific muscles.

I just started coaching my daughter's fall soccer team. I have to be really careful because I have enough aerobic capacity to run for a long time without getting out of breath, but I don't have the leg strength.

For me, it's not the quads, it's higher up in the legs - the muscles that swing your legs forward.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 08-06-06, 12:08 AM
stea1thviper

Bikes: custom built roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
really?? since ive been cycling alot more ive been noticing a great increase in my stamina and speed when i play soccer now. i play soccer on a regular basis. when im not cycling, im playing soccer. soccer is what i do on recovery days. and if i only go like 50 miles or so in the morning ill play a good 2 hours of soccer in the evening. my dramatic improvement in my soccer stamina and speed must have something to do with my cycling training.
Old 08-06-06, 04:21 AM
dr_cantalope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Exclusively cycling CAN overdevelop the Quadriceps and underdevelop the Adductors.
That's my answer right there. Cycling IS what I do.
Old 08-06-06, 05:17 AM
EGreen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good thread and applicable to my own experience. Recently after a 5 mile run - can't recall the last time I ran- I felt more sore that a century I rode recently that was nearly all climbing.

It's cautionary, as mentioned, we hardcore cyclists should get off our bikes periodically and engage in other athletic endeavors.

For myself, I ride by the ocean on my normal every day loop. It never occurred to me to bring a bathing suit with me. That's definitely going to change.
Old 08-06-06, 09:41 AM
biolife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stea1thviper
really?? since ive been cycling alot more ive been noticing a great increase in my stamina and speed when i play soccer now. i play soccer on a regular basis. when im not cycling, im playing soccer. soccer is what i do on recovery days. and if i only go like 50 miles or so in the morning ill play a good 2 hours of soccer in the evening. my dramatic improvement in my soccer stamina and speed must have something to do with my cycling training.
The whole point is that you're not "over-specializing" your cycling muscles.
That is why you're not limited like many here are. They don't engage in other activities on a regular basis, so it looks like you're a lot more well-rounded.
Old 08-06-06, 10:57 AM
bikeybikebike
Economists do it w/models

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i used to be able to almost dunk when i was about 5'6" (freshman in high school) .
YOU ARE A BEAST.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.