Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon wheel advantages over aluminium?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 05:00 PM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there, I have recently been looking at a set of relatively affordable carbon wheels that are available in both 45 and 55mm profiles. They would certainly both look nice on my bike but the 45 version weighs 1650 grams or so and the 55mm 100 grams more.

That’s not insanely heavy but I already have a set of decent aluminium wheels with a 32mm profile that weigh in at around 1450 grams. So I am in doubt if the carbon wheels would offer any advantage over the alu ones. Given that, at least in the case of the 45mm carbon rims, the profile isn’t that much deeper, would those wheels offer any significant advantages over the aluminium wheels I already have? Or would you, due to the heavier weight, even expect them to perform worse? Any insight will be much appreciated
Old 12-26-15, 05:05 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
You are totally ignoring the aero benefits of the deeper wheels. If you want light, you go shallow. If you want aero you go deep. If you want the lightest approach to either, you go carbon instead of aluminum.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-26-15, 05:08 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Are you racing?? Or riding competitively?? If not, I suggest you not bother as the benefits are very modest.
Old 12-26-15, 05:12 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
This was posted in a recent thread where I posed a similar question. The aero advantage is more important that weight from these test.
FLO Cycling - The Great Debate - Aero vs. Weight
Old 12-26-15, 05:19 PM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry, just realizing I probably asked the question in the wrong way. This is probably better: If you have two wheels with the same rim profile and weight, one is carbon, the other aluminium, would the carbon wheel offer any advantage over the alu wheel? Would it be more comfortable, stiffer or somehow 'quicker' despite same weight/profile?
Old 12-26-15, 05:19 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Are you racing?? Or riding competitively?? If not, I suggest you not bother as the benefits are very modest.
Sound advice unless money is not a factor. Performance enhancement is modest.
Old 12-26-15, 05:29 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Sito
Sorry, just realizing I probably asked the question in the wrong way. This is probably better: If you have two wheels with the same rim profile and weight, one is carbon, the other aluminium, would the carbon wheel offer any advantage over the alu wheel? Would it be more comfortable, stiffer or somehow 'quicker' despite same weight/profile?
Lighter weight of the carbon might be some advantage during climbing. Very marginal.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-26-15, 05:36 PM
hooCycles

Bikes: Jamis Sputnik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CFRP has a higher stiffness:weight ratio and thus with proper engineering should give a wheel with a higher stiffness:weight ratio. Keep in mind that geometry plays as important of a role in stiffness as material, though.
Old 12-26-15, 06:13 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
If you want a rougher riding poorer braking bike that gets blown around in crosswinds buy the carbon wheels.
Old 12-26-15, 06:54 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Lighter weight of the carbon might be some advantage during climbing. Very marginal.
OP clarified the question to compare wheels that are the same weight and profile. In that case, the difference would be immeasurable to the average rider.
Old 12-26-15, 06:58 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
How would one know how aero a wheel is vs another one?
Old 12-26-15, 07:19 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
By getting to the coffee shop 12 seconds faster or slower than before

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-26-15, 07:23 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
In a word, no. Stiffer (vertically) is largely a function of x-sectional depth. Quicker is a mostly a function of mass. Comfort is a pretty much irrelevant. If x-sectional depth and weight were equal, the disadvantages would be with carbon: increased cost, reduced braking quality, noisier in many cases, and requirement for premium brake pads. The functional benefits of carbon rims is reduced weight for a deep section, and the ability to really fine tune the aerodynamic profile due to manufacturing differences. Of course, the aesthetic benefits of carbon rims are that they do look really good.
Old 12-26-15, 07:33 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
I use 50mm carbon tubulars for racing. I ride on basic aluminum rims the other 99.9 % of the time.
Don't ask me which aluminum rims, I have no idea.
Have not felt the need to spend big bucks on wheels. Good tires are worth it though.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-26-15, 07:48 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
no, you would be wasting money on the carbon wheels.
You get carbon wheels for aero, lightweight or both.

If you are just as aero and same weight with alloy, than enjoy the better braking and durability of alloy without lightening your wallet by a K.
Old 12-26-15, 07:50 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
LOL
Even if that coffee shop was 2 miles up a 10% grade, the difference would be less than that.
Old 12-27-15, 04:36 AM
Sito

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your insight, guys! You've pretty much confirmed what I thought. Carbon for carbon's sake doesn't do it. I usually ride on hilly terrain and sometimes on proper mountain passes, so a lightweight wheelset with a bit of profile does make sense for me. A Carbon upgrade would only make sense if I get a deeper profile at the same weight or the same profile at a lower weight and that would cost me a lot of money, not worth it
Old 12-27-15, 04:50 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
My question would be if the aluminum and carbon wheels are the same in every dimension, how did the carbon wheels get so heavy? ;-)
Old 12-27-15, 05:51 AM
link0

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
My question would be if the aluminum and carbon wheels are the same in every dimension, how did the carbon wheels get so heavy? ;-)
I bet they are just alum rims with carbon fairings.
Old 12-27-15, 06:35 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
To the OP, take a look at some Boyd carbon wheels. Well priced and also not nearly has heavy as you mentioned.

In my experience with carbon wheels (Boyd 44 carbon tubulars), they are very stiff and climb quite well, weighing in the 1400-something range - the clinchers are a little bit more heavy. The wide rim width is a benefit. Running 700 x 25 tubular tires at lower pressure (85psi) makes for a very compliant ride and lower rolling resistance than say 700 x 23 at 110psi. They do not get blown around in the wind, unless it is a very windy day and in that case, you are going to get blown around no matter what wheels you have on the bike. They climb really well, as good as my 1300 gram aluminum wheelset. They get up to speed very quickly and hold speed better than my Mavic Ksyrum wheels. The one draw back is that they do not brake as well as aluminum wheels. I will try some different pads and see how they do; Campy pads are reported to be very good. I have used Swisstop and they are average at best. See if you can go to a demo day and try some on your bike and then decide. Now, would I spend $2800 on Zipp, HED, Reynolds, or Enve carbon wheels? I would not but many others do. If this purchase will be your first foray into carbon wheels, and you are willing to shell out about $1300, the Boyd wheels are a good value. Write to them and you will likely get a response from Boyd Johnson, owner of the company, to guide you in your decision making process. Otherwise, look at some of the new wide profile aluminum wheels. If you ride with others who have the type of wheels you aspire, ask to try their bike and see how they feel. I would think that wide rims with 700 x 25 or greater tires at 85 psi will really get your attention for comfort and handling, be these carbon or aluminum.
Old 12-27-15, 08:15 AM
bikebreak

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use both zipp 303 and various alloy rims. my 303s are tubular and 150g lighter than my lightest alloy wheels.
yes they are faster, but not a lot faster.

if most of your riding is on hilly terrain and your average speed is under 18mph don't bother. If you average 20mph+ you will see more benefit from deeper rims.
Old 12-27-15, 10:39 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
They could use a power meter and Chung's virtual elevation model to estimate CdA riding outdoors, or accept a bike company's wind tunnel data.
Old 12-27-15, 11:02 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
They get up to speed very quickly and hold speed better than my Mavic Ksyrum wheels.
Do you really expect us to believe that you can sense a such a small difference in acceleration and deceleration. Ridiculous. Maybe the stopwatch could see it over 20 miles, but I don't believe you can feel it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 12-27-15, 02:18 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
They could use a power meter and Chung's virtual elevation model to estimate CdA riding outdoors, or accept a bike company's wind tunnel data.
I can't remember the specific models but I once saw some research on the aerodynamics of cars. Just because something looks aero doesn't necessarily make it so, maybe @Jeff Wills can shed some light on what does and doesn't make a wheelset aero.
Old 12-27-15, 03:11 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Or the pub in my case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.