Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Camera Bag for Road Cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 02:20 PM
ranstedt

Bikes: Kona Unit, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post my question.

Okay. I just got my first road bike (Specialized Diverge). I've owned many MTB's in the past so I've been used to the more upright position. Instantly I realized that my camera shoulder bag that I used with my upright bikes is no fun to use on my road bike.

I'm a photographer that likes to bring my small interchangeable lens camera and a lens or two on the ride with me. I love exploring by bike and looking for things that inspires me to photograph.

Currently I'm shooting with a Sony A7 series camera.

Are there any bags you can recommend that would be more ideal to use attached to the bike, or possibly a small camera backpack? I have a Think Tank Streetwalker Pro backpack I used with my DSLR gear. It's a great backpack, but much larger and bulkier than I need at the moment.

Thanks
Old 11-07-16, 02:26 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I'd recommend a handlebar bag, like this one on Lovely Bicycle: Lovely Bicycle!: Modified VO Handlebar/ Camera Bag Setup, Sans Decaleur

The handlebars on my bike are very narrow (38cms) so not many bags fit in it (considering I also have cross top brakes, lights and a bell). So I use a trunk bag on a rear rack, not the easiest to access, but works.
Old 11-07-16, 02:40 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Maybe a frame bag of some sort?

https://www.bikebagshop.com/full-bik...?sort=name_asc

Not specific to cameras, but you can probably borrow some padded dividers from your regular camera bags to store the body and a couple lenses. That would be safer in a crash and wouldn't require anything on your back.

That's a lot of camera to be taking on the bike, though. I'd rather carry something like an RX100 or Ricoh GR that allows you to reach into your jersey pocket and pull it out for quick snaps while riding while still getting far better IQ than cell phones.
Old 11-07-16, 08:47 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
No clue. But I find my little Point-n-Shoot camera works great in a bento bag, can fetch it out and shoot with one hand while I'm riding.
Old 11-07-16, 08:51 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Camera Bags & Backpacks | Weatherproof Nylon | Chrome Industries
Old 11-07-16, 09:39 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kuroba
I'd recommend a handlebar bag, like this one on Lovely Bicycle: Lovely Bicycle!: Modified VO Handlebar/ Camera Bag Setup, Sans Decaleur

The handlebars on my bike are very narrow (38cms) so not many bags fit in it (considering I also have cross top brakes, lights and a bell). So I use a trunk bag on a rear rack, not the easiest to access, but works.
Pretty cool set up there. I want to carry my camera, and thought something like that would be best. Now I am drifting towards a minimalist setup with one camera(Canon in my case) and zoom lens using something like this without the strap and modified to fit the bars: https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Zoom-Pa...bel+camera+bag. I shoot mostly B&W film though, and possibly trashing a $40 used Canon Rebel in a crash isn't really a concern compared to a nice DSLR.
Old 11-07-16, 11:25 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
I use a Think Tank Perception Tablet backpack for my Leica M rangefinder cameras. I've used a few times on my MB with great ease and comfort.
Old 11-08-16, 07:48 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I will have to ask one of the girls I ride regularly with on her handlebar bag. It would be perfect for toting a large camera around. The reason is, everything I see is zippered and opens towards the rider. Her bag has some kind of snap or maybe magnet and opens and folds towards the front so the lid is away from you trying to extract the camera. I think this would be much easier as well as easier with the snap/magnet vs zipper.

I have a rather large "compact" camera and carry it in a top tube pannier style bag. I bought mine because it was velcro rather than a zipper. I hang the wrist chord out so while riding I can slip my hand through, flip the velcro open and pull the camera out and use while continuing to ride. You can't do that while riding with a dSLR obviously, but the bag I'm thinking about would be much easier and quicker to stop along the road, flip open, and get the camera out than a zipper and lid that folds back towards your person.
Old 11-08-16, 07:52 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
I use a Think Tank Perception Tablet backpack for my Leica M rangefinder cameras. I've used a few times on my MB with great ease and comfort.
When the camera costs more than the bike, you've got your priorities straight
Old 11-08-16, 07:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Years ago I used a Kirtland Tour Pak, which featured a metal rack to support the bag. Added some padding and dividers for my camera gear. Worked great. Lacked water resistance but I was in SoCal at the time and it rarely rained. Wish I'd kept that bag.

Recently I was shopping for a waterproof handlebar bag and found an obscure (in the US) bag made in the Netherlands that looked good. Can't remember the brand now but it's bookmarked on my PC.
Old 11-08-16, 09:38 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
The first question is whether you want a handlebar bag or a rear rack. The handlebar bag is easier to access being in the front, while I just like how the rear rack looks better (and it carries a little more stuff plus allows panniers in the future).

I can't tell for sure from pics online, but it appears the Diverge has holes in the rear to attach the bag at the bottom, and you can attach via a new seatpost clamp at the top (the same system they use with the full carbon sirrus).
Old 11-09-16, 12:31 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Waist Pack

I use a waist pack (aka a fanny pack) for my Sony APS camera. Mine is large enough to hold the camera with one wide angle lens attached and a second telephoto. Of course while your camera is quite small, the lenses are larger. Search the web for to find a waist pack that will hold your gear and see what you think. It'll make writing your road bike a lot easier than dealing with a shoulder bag.