Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Carbon Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Upgrade to Carbon Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 01:07 PM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Upgrade to Carbon Wheels

I'm looking at buying a new road bike to replace my 1990's Cannondale I bought new and have ridden ever since. I only have two requirements: Di2 and disc brakes. Unfortunately, most new bikes I'm looking at (Cervelo R3D, BMC SLR02 disc, Cannondale Evo Six) all come with heavy (do I dare say cheap?) alloy wheels. These wheels would be fine on say a $2k bike, but at 5 grand or so I'd expect higher quality, lighter, carbon wheels. Only the new Trek SL 7 disc comes from the factory with carbon wheels. Canyon also, but I'm not convinced on Canyon just yet.

I ride a lot but I've not kept up on what are the best wheels out there. So my question for the learned masses is what would be a good carbon wheelset to look at as an upgrade if I get one of the bikes with alloy wheel? I'd consider myself an "enthusiast" rider, my racing aspirations are long gone so I don't need to speed thousands on aero wheels. Just a good quality, lightweight, and not terribly expensive wheelset.
Old 07-13-18, 01:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
That's pretty normal, the wheels being several runs below the bike. A lot of people already have wheels when they buy a new bike. If you already own expensive carbon hoops (you don't already, many people do; I did when I bought my C3) you don't want to pay that much into a bike that comes with fancy wheels.

You'll get better recommendations if you give your budget. You can spend anywhere from $400 to $4,000+ on carbon wheels, some from the far east, others from exotic boutique builders. At any level you'll find people who like them.

Final note, if you're considering an R3D, you should test ride a C3 as well. Might not be your cup of tea, but you ought to try one.
Old 07-13-18, 02:04 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
That CDale you're looking at is 4k and the trek is 5k... it's all about features and price point.

Regardless, as Seattle mentions - it's probably more common for people to already have fancy wheels and if they give you some decent aluminum hoops, you can buy what you want and keep the old ones for spares. At least you don't have to try and sell OEM carbon wheels because they're not really what you want!

Carbon wheels are not without limitations btw... although disks address the largest one. You can probably find some Reynolds on sale at Performance for about a grand, or you can mail order some from China for 500 or so. They certainly look cool.
Old 07-13-18, 02:11 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It might be worth taking a look at custom options:

https://novemberbicycles.com/collect...on-disc-wheels

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 07-13-18 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling typo
Old 07-13-18, 03:35 PM
JasonD67

I guess I'm in the minority...the only wheels I own are on my bike now. Even weirder, I've only ever owned one bike (and I've been riding since the mid-80's). Needless to say, when I started test riding new bikes I was rather shocked as I had never ridden a newer bike than my late 90's C-Dale with it's 9 speed Ultegra. Disc brakes and Di2! It was like a cave man seeing a lighter for the first time...

I was thinking about a grand for the new wheels. The LBSs said they will give me some credit for the wheels that come on the bike. Those November Bicycles wheels look interesting. How about something like the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon?
Old 07-13-18, 04:05 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm not sure that alloy to carbon is always an upgrade when it comes to wheels.

Not trying to start a carbon vs alloy debate at all.

Weight, ride characteristics, aero, aesthetics, durability and serviceability all matter but I'm unconvinced that carbon does any or all of those things better than alloy for comparable prices. I'm open to correction, especially when it comes to weight. I'd purchase carbon clinchers in a heartbeat if they could beat the weight of my Dura Ace C24's for the same money or even much more money.

The possible exceptions are aerodynamics and aesthetics when it comes to deep section wheels where carbon seems to the the predominant, if not only choice.

I guess I just don't understand why everyone automatically assumes that carbon wheels are an upgrade just because they are carbon. Whatever material gets the job done the best is the right choice for me.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-13-18 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 04:17 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Weight, ride characteristics, aero, aesthetics, durability and serviceability all matter but I'm unconvinced that carbon does any or all of those things better than alloy for comparable prices. I'm open to correction, especially when it comes to weight. I'd purchase carbon clinchers in a heartbeat if they could beat the weight of my Dura Ace C24's for the same money or even much more money.

The possible exceptions are aerodynamics and aesthetics when it comes to deep section wheels where carbon seems to the the predominant, if not only choice.

-Tim-
Under 30mm depth I'd agree, cost to weight/aero gain going to carbon isn't going to be much, one case that would beat the C24s is the zipp 202 FC which are ~100g lighter while being wider and taller but at over double the cost no one can make a 40+mm depth aluminum wheel that is even close the weight of a carbon or hybrid carbon rim.
Old 07-13-18, 06:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

I guess I just don't understand why everyone automatically assumes that carbon wheels are an upgrade just because they are carbon. Whatever material gets the job done the best is the right choice for me.

-Tim-
Agree, but carbon wheel, especially deep rims, just look cool.
Old 07-13-18, 07:24 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11404 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonD67
I guess I'm in the minority...the only wheels I own are on my bike now. Even weirder, I've only ever owned one bike (and I've been riding since the mid-80's). Needless to say, when I started test riding new bikes I was rather shocked as I had never ridden a newer bike than my late 90's C-Dale with it's 9 speed Ultegra. Disc brakes and Di2! It was like a cave man seeing a lighter for the first time...

I was thinking about a grand for the new wheels. The LBSs said they will give me some credit for the wheels that come on the bike. Those November Bicycles wheels look interesting. How about something like the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon?
Son, that ain't right.

Kidding, but in all honesty, that's pretty refreshing. Especially the part about your first ride on a newer bike. That's just neat.

I have November wheels, and an actual November Wheelhouse bike, and can honestly say, you can't go wrong with those guys. Mavic is spendy and heavy, but are also the choice of many. It's not a bad wheel, by any means.
Old 07-13-18, 07:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'm very pleased with Dave @ November's build. I had them build a wheelset with HED Belgium Plus aluminum rims and White Industry hubs. They have been great. Now that they have carbon options (which they say are as good as the HED aluminum ones) and comparable in price, I am coveting that as my next wheel-set. They have a refreshingly honest and straightforward approach, and are very generous with helpful advice.
Old 07-13-18, 08:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

One of the Canyon bikes comes with Mavic Cosmic Carbons, I'm not sure which model. Saw one yesterday on a ride, blue frame, looked nice. I personally wouldn't buy a bike without test riding it, but that's one option at your disposal.

You can get carbon hoops at Performance as mentioned upthread, something is always on sale there, and you'll get enough "points" for a free pair of shoes out of it.

If you're willing to consider Chinese open mold rims, you have a great many more options. The usual concern people have about those is with braking, but because you're going with disc brakes, that's a non issue. You could get two sets for your budget, a really deep one for calm days on flat ground and a shallow one for gusty weather and for climbs.

Everybody around here who's bought something from November seems to really like it. Haven't seen a thread about buyer's remorse with them. Or Boyd. A small wheel builder like that is an excellent choice. They'll be able to sell you something off the shelf, or talk to you about the kind of riding you do and build something just right for you. Which is still going to cost less than a race wheel from a big name.
Old 07-13-18, 08:46 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Under 30mm depth I'd agree, cost to weight/aero gain going to carbon isn't going to be much, one case that would beat the C24s is the zipp 202 FC which are ~100g lighter while being wider and taller but at over double the cost no one can make a 40+mm depth aluminum wheel that is even close the weight of a carbon or hybrid carbon rim.
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Agree, but carbon wheel, especially deep rims, just look cool.
Pretty much, yeah.

-Tim-
Old 07-13-18, 08:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

It's just the default assumption that carbon will be lighter than metal. That's what carbon is known for, being light. People assume carbon wheels will weigh less, and that lightness is one of the things that makes a great bike. Not saying that's where the OP is in all this, but in general that's a big part of the appeal.
Old 07-14-18, 12:31 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
You could check out the Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0. $4800 MSRP, new Di2 Ultegra/Hydraulic. 1380G 30mm carbon wheelset. They ride nice. Or the Advanced SL 1 which gets a seat mast and a higher modulus frame with otherwise similar for $5610 MSRP.

Some nice saner priced carbon wheelsets are the current Bontrager Aeolus Pro range, Praxis wheels, etc. Of the direct Chinese/Taiwanese stuff I've seen good results with Nextie carbon rims (have built a handful, seen a few dozen, etc) and would probably build myself some of their road disc rims onto DT 350s or similar.
Old 07-14-18, 06:26 AM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I'm looking at buying a new road bike to replace my 1990's Cannondale I bought new and have ridden ever since. I only have two requirements: Di2 and disc brakes. Unfortunately, most new bikes I'm looking at (Cervelo R3D, BMC SLR02 disc, Cannondale Evo Six) all come with heavy (do I dare say cheap?) alloy wheels. These wheels would be fine on say a $2k bike, but at 5 grand or so I'd expect higher quality, lighter, carbon wheels. Only the new Trek SL 7 disc comes from the factory with carbon wheels. Canyon also, but I'm not convinced on Canyon just yet.

I ride a lot but I've not kept up on what are the best wheels out there. So my question for the learned masses is what would be a good carbon wheelset to look at as an upgrade if I get one of the bikes with alloy wheel? I'd consider myself an "enthusiast" rider, my racing aspirations are long gone so I don't need to speed thousands on aero wheels. Just a good quality, lightweight, and not terribly expensive wheelset.
Last July, I purchased a Domane SL6 Disc with carbon wheels at a significant ($1500) discount. I think Trek does that sale every year...worth asking about and checking to see if the bike you want is in inventory somewhere. Like you, I was replacing/augmenting a bike I'd had for >25 years, so no wheels or other parts to move over to a new bike...it made sense to just pull the trigger on a complete bike, especially at the price point offered. No regrets. Keep smiling.
Old 07-14-18, 07:47 AM
JasonD67

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions here. I'll have to add the Giant to my list of possible bikes.

My only reason for wanting to upgrade is weight. The few bikes I've found to test ride seemed hampered by the excess wheel weight. The Emonda; however, really felt sweet...I'm sure helped by the carbon wheels.
Old 07-14-18, 09:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Not sure, but I'd probably tend toward building up a frameset vs. buying a complete, if the wheels aren't something you're willing to live with on the complete. Even taking that Trek SL7 example, a frameset only is $1680, and complete is $5500 (Domane). That's $3800 to play with to build with. Ultegra Di2 is about $1500 or less (depending on 8050 vs 8070), still leaving about $2300 to play with for wheels and cockpit stuff.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 07-14-18 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-14-18, 02:57 PM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure, but I'd probably tend toward building up a frameset vs. buying a complete, if the wheels aren't something you're willing to live with on the complete. Even taking that Trek SL7 example, a frameset only is $1680, and complete is $5500 (Domane). That's $3800 to play with to build with. Ultegra Di2 is about $1500 or less (depending on 8050 vs 8070), still leaving about $2300 to play with for wheels and cockpit stuff.
dont forget fork, BB, seat post, saddle, pedals...
Old 07-14-18, 03:03 PM
Jazzguitar

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal

Fork is usually included in a frameset and BB with the
groupset.
Old 07-14-18, 03:14 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal

saddle, seat post, handlebars, stem, and pedals are the "cockpit stuff". A fork is part of the frameset, and the BB comes with the groupset.
Old 07-14-18, 05:17 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

DO NOT BUY MAVIC WHEELS! Crappy customer service. Oddball parts. Slow warranty turnaround. November and Boyd are better choices.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-14-18, 05:22 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker

DO NOT BUY MAVIC WHEELS! Crappy customer service. Oddball parts. Slow warranty turnaround.
I agree 100%.

I love their shoes, and clothing, but would never recommend their wheelsets to anyone.
Old 07-15-18, 05:06 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. I was building my "dream" bike and my "guru" suggested carbon wheels. I have some pretty decent aluminum wheels on my other bikes. Wheelsets by November, Psimet & Boyd, using CK & White Industry hubs, and mainly CX Ray spokes. I did a lot of research on carbon wheels, I did NOT want a wide profile rim and the new bike has disc brakes...perfect for a carbon wheel. My second choice ended up being the TCG36 wheel from November. My new wheels were built by Spark Wheel Works; rims are Alto CCX28, CK disc hub and CX Ray spokes. Kinda pricey, but since this is my DREAM bike I was not going to skimp.

The bike is awesome and I think it is mostly due to the wheels. They are badass fast, smooth, just perfect.