Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

scott or C'dale which to buy

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 05:36 PM
Humps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a recreational cyclist with a view for racing in the future. I have been riding my dads old trek 1200 and am looking for my own bike. At a later date I will be moving up to ultegra or similar group and better wheels etc so I'm fine with 105. Its the frame that matters. I am looking at the scott s20/30 speedster or cannondale r700. I am also 6 foot 2. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-13-06, 05:39 PM
Jacobi
Navy Recruiter

Bikes: Trek VRX 300; Scott Speedster S2; Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good timing...I just picked up my S20 the other day, post is "I finally got her!" Do a search in my name and you'll find it. The bike looks amazing, rides amazing, and just plain kicks ass! I will tell you that this is my first road bike after riding my full suspension on the road, so I don't have a lot to compare to!

-Barry-

P.S. The stock tires on the S20 are terrible, you'll see what I replaced them with!
Old 06-13-06, 07:44 PM
dr_cantalope

Bikes: Fuji Sagres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For what it's worth, I am 6'2" also and ride a R700 and love it. Personally I think the geometry is awesome. It's quick, handles great, and between the hourglass seat stays and carbon seat post I can ride the thing for days on end.
Old 06-13-06, 07:49 PM
Skaog
The Dude

Bikes: 2005 Scott Speedster S2 and 2009 Scott Aspect 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my Scott S2 a few months ago and I love it. I had my choice down to the R700 and the S2, I was able to get a much better price on the S2 so I went with the Scott. Both Bikes are great and have nice stiff Frames.
Old 06-13-06, 07:53 PM
Mike_Like_Bike
Je suis ici !

Bikes: 2006 Scott Speedster S20, 2005 Trek 7200FX, 1988 White Cannondale Criterium Single Speed Conversion, 1986(?) Peugeot...I don't know what model it is, but it's a road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you'd go wrong with either of the bikes you mention. I would pick the S20 over the S30 though, but that's just me.
Old 06-13-06, 08:09 PM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently purchased the R700. I love the bike beyond belief. If you want a stiff bike, that will respond to you perfectly, I cannot think of many other bikes in the price range that will do that. The fact is, the R700 is essentially the same frame Seaco rode a few years ago. Granted the components and fork were different, but the frame is amazing. Plus, it is the type of frame you could honestly build up and it would not be putting lipstick on a pig. (Think BikeDirect)
Old 06-13-06, 08:15 PM
Humps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_Like_Bike
I would pick the S20 over the S30 though, but that's just me.
after rereading the s20's specs I'll take it over the s30, if that's what I choose. The s20 has carbon stays and slightly better specs. What have you been able to get the s20 for, a lbs said they'd give me a good price on the r700.
Old 06-13-06, 08:22 PM
Humps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT Biker
Plus, it is the type of frame you could honestly build up and it would not be putting lipstick on a pig. (Think BikeDirect)
The build up part is important for my racing ambitions. I haven't heard much about the Scott's frame except for a review in Bicycling mag and they had some minor quality issues in design.
Old 06-13-06, 08:52 PM
krazyderek
Ca-na-da?

Bikes: none at the moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buy a scott CR1 frame on ebay if you sniff a good deal if you're really looking for a wicked racing frame to build up and keep riding that trek in the mean time. Otherwise if all other things being equal i'd go for the cannondale.
Old 06-13-06, 10:30 PM
Paulus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One small issue with the Scotts is the lack of a replacable derailleur hanger. In a crash this can bend pretty easily and I wouldn't like to try straightening it more than once (or maybe twice).