Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Uprade components or buy a new bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 09:24 PM
Basscycle

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to figure out what to do here. I have an '03 OCR-1 like the one below that had it's components severely downgraded. It's got Sora shifters/derailers and God knows what kind of bars, crank and rim/hubs. As it is, it's not that nice of a ride but I'm thinking that a complete, gradual component swap would improve things significantly. Then, there's the other possibility of picking up an Allez Elite or something like that, I wouldn't go any higher than 105 and I'd still be in a low/mid range bike. I ride 4-5 days/week and my rides go from 15-40 miles. My brain's starting to hurt and any input that you guys can give would be gold.
Old 07-31-06, 09:31 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Most likely, in the long run, a new bike will be the way to go. Upgrading 2/3 of the parts on the bike is likely to run you nearly the cost of a new ride.
Old 07-31-06, 09:37 PM
flyingscotsman
Nothing here to see!!!!!!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As Cuda said upgrading would cost you around the price off the new bike in the long term.

Buy a new bike and keep the old one to ride on a trainer
Old 07-31-06, 09:40 PM
Zinn-X
proud of his bunny

Bikes: 2006 Masi Gran Corsa Premio custom build: Full 105, Easton EC70 fork, Easton Circuit Wheelset // 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper (stock for now)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on any bike i'm partial to replacing the drivetrain as a whole. the reason being that if either your chainrings or cogs are worn, they'll wear your chain out faster, which will quickly wear out any new parts you may swap in. if you're upgrading from sora to 105 you're gonna replace a lot more parts than just the drivetrain. shifters as well as probably bottom bracket and brakes. you should also replace the bars and headset as well if you've been riding that bike for awhile.

do you really like the frame or something? if no, i wouldn't even think about upgrading the components on it... i have gone this route in the past, and it ended up being more trouble and expense than it was worth. too much time and money wasted. you will be able to find some great deals on this years closeouts in these coming months.
Old 07-31-06, 10:24 PM
dr_cantalope

Bikes: Fuji Sagres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in a somewhat similar position not too long ago. Long story short, it was more cost effective to buy a new bike. The only reason I was considdering upgrading is that instead of spending a ton of money at once, I could spend a ton and a half of money over time. Go on, get a new bike.
Old 07-31-06, 10:26 PM
misterwtty
Chimpy

Bikes: None

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, I wish I was in your shoes, I'd have a valid reason to buy a new one!
Old 08-01-06, 01:32 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad but true as said. Buy a new bike. Upgrading can be like going to Sears parts place to build a dishwasher. For $4000 you've built yourself a $400 dishwasher.