Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Western Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it annoying or obnoxious that Quebecers speak French?

Search
Notices
Western Canada Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | Northwest Territories | Nunavut | Saskatchewan | Yukon Territory

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 10:45 PM
sneekyjesus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I'm not trying to play the ignorant American, I can't help but feel that if I lived in the Western US and wanted to travel to NY, and needed to know a second language to do so, I feel like I would definitely be peeved. This isn't a rant against people from Quebec, the few I've known have been awesome people. Just a culture question I guess.
Old 07-17-09, 07:55 AM
Bean_YWG
Pot-bellied Biker

Bikes: '99 Trek 8000, '08 Giant Trance X2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sneekyjesus
While I'm not trying to play the ignorant American, I can't help but feel that if I lived in the Western US and wanted to travel to NY, and needed to know a second language to do so, I feel like I would definitely be peeved. This isn't a rant against people from Quebec, the few I've known have been awesome people. Just a culture question I guess.
I'm from Manitoba. I haven't yet been to Quebec, but I wouldn't hesitate to visit. I've known a few people from Quebec (they worked with me) and they were nice folks. They always said they didn't have a problem with English people, or English-only speakers. It's a select few loudmouths (mostly the politicians and lobbyists) that have issue with it. The average person cares more if you're an arse or not, regardless of the language you speak.

The Quebec culture does have a very different flavor to it, but it's a good difference, in my opinion. Just like the Maritimes. They speak a different language there too.
Old 07-17-09, 09:37 AM
sneekyjesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But as an inconvenience do you think it would bother you?
Old 07-17-09, 12:08 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I've been to la belle province several times, and in the more rural areas french is the only language spoken. Like most english speaking canucks, what little french I know is from the back of the cereal box so, yeah, there is a bit of inconvenience.

But so what? One of the great pleasures of travel is meeting and interacting with people from different cultures, and one of the defining aspects of culture is language. It can be fun to try to speak the local language and generally people react in a friendly way if you do so. Shouting in english, not so much.
Old 07-17-09, 03:42 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been to Quebec a few times and french culture there is not a problem for me. In the cities, folks are bilingual. I love the rich french heritage there. Really cool place.
Quebec is a distinct part of Canada that makes this country unique. Otherwise it will be just another USA. Why would you want that?
Did the natives complain why can't them pale skins speak mohican or huron?
Old 07-17-09, 04:08 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
While I'm not trying to play the ignorant American,
And yet you do it so well.....

It's their native language. Why would you expect them to adapt to you?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-20-09, 12:53 PM
DogsBody
Resident Seaballer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Je suis fils de la vallée d'Ottawa.
J'aime mes frères et mes soeurs de Québec.
So there. ;+)
Learning a second language is a pleasure, not an imposition.
More people should do it.
Old 07-20-09, 04:58 PM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I am an Anglo that chooses to live in Quebec and it is neither annoying nor obnoxious that Quebecers speak their mother tongue.

What are they supposed to speak American?

Are you a racist or a xenophobe or simply annoying and obnoxious?

Why is this in the Western-Canadian thread?

This is the stupidest thread of the year!

Old 07-20-09, 06:08 PM
sneekyjesus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a few too many beers deep when I thought of the thread title and question, so for anyone I offended I apologize. I only wanted to know if it was a legitimate inconvenience to non-French speaking Canadians.
Old 07-21-09, 10:15 AM
subdermis2000
Clyde

Bikes: Focus Mares and Ridley Orion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tabernac!!!
Old 07-21-09, 10:19 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why would it be a problem? I truly don't understand your point.
Old 07-21-09, 10:23 AM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a few too many beers deep when I thought of the thread title and question, so for anyone I offended I apologize. I only wanted to know if it was a legitimate inconvenience to non-French speaking Canadians.
Is it an inconvenience for you when people in our country speak another language?
Old 07-21-09, 04:56 PM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
sneekyjesus, I'm not sure where you live but if you ever have the chance you should come up for a visit. Oh just so you know Quebec beer is magnificent, the cycling is fantastic and the people are wonderful.

Gordon p

Old 07-21-09, 08:26 PM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Inconvenience? possibly. Annoyance? Only that i have forgotten too much French.

Anyway, visiting Montreal, I'll put up with the struggle to remember the French, ( In those rare places they can't speak English ) for the food.
Old 07-23-09, 07:54 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I like the fact that they speak another language and I'm kinda proud that Canada has 2 official languages. It makes me feel like we're more worldly. My sister and I both took french immersion out here on the prairies and now my daughter starts french immersion in the fall.

I just can't stand their politics.
Old 07-23-09, 09:35 AM
tjwarren
call me T.J.

Bikes: trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll occasionally get some attitude, but you can get around that by letting them know you're American. Most of the hardcore french-speakers don't have a problem with speaking english, they have a problem with Quebecers speaking english.

Unless, as has been mentioned, you're in the country-side. Then it's no different than visiting any other non-english-speaking country. I've never gotten any real attitude from anyone in the rural areas.
Old 07-23-09, 10:07 AM
kamalster

Bikes: Limongi custom road; GT Avalanche 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I'm not trying to play the cosmopolitan central Canadian, I can't help but feel that if I wanted to travel to Calgary, and needed to wear chaps and a 10-gallon hat to do so, I feel like I would definitely be peeved. This isn't a rant against people from Alberta, the few I've known have been awesome people. Just a culture question I guess.
Fixed.

It's the differences that make us interesting as a country.
Old 07-23-09, 10:33 AM
frymaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kamalster
Fixed.
can i point out now that the only people in calgary who wear chaps and 40 litre hats are accountants visiting from toronto?
Old 07-23-09, 10:38 AM
kamalster

Bikes: Limongi custom road; GT Avalanche 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by frymaster
can i point out now that the only people in calgary who wear chaps and 40 litre hats are accountants visiting from toronto?
I think you missed my point. The whole chaps and hat thing is just the stereotype that exists about Calgary, just like nobody in Quebec speaking English is a stereotype or myth.

Just noticed the 40 litre thing - nice.
Old 07-24-09, 07:10 PM
trustnoone

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A second language like say Spanish, Texan, or Ebonics? If you were peeved at needing to know a second language than why would you want to go? Doesn't talking louder and slower American enable everyone to understand that you are looking for the bathroom?

I think Quebec is a gem in Canadian culture. It's just too bad more Canadians don't realize it.
Old 07-27-09, 08:57 AM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a bilingual country encourages more Canadians to be bilingual than most other English-speaking countries. This is a good thing. I travel a lot, and my ability to speak French has been tremendously helpful in former French colonies, as well as providing a background that lets me decipher Spanish. Quebec itself is a lovely place, with (mostly) lovely people. Why would it make a difference what language they speak?
Old 08-01-09, 10:28 PM
huie

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I'm not trying to play the ignorant American...
Attempt failed.
Old 08-07-09, 08:41 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only thing that peeves me on my visits to Montreal (one of the most fun places in Canada) is that whenever I try to speak French, they speak English back to you. Montrealers tend to be quite a bit more arrogant than other Quebecers, sort of the Paris of Quebec. I guess they don't like to listen to bad French, and they want to let you know they can speak English better than you can speak French!

If you don't speak French at all, the best place to visit is the Eastern Townships (the area to the east of Montreal, around Bromont (where the Atlanta Olympics velodrome resides) and Sherbrooke). They're all bilingual, and they speak the most unaccented English in Quebec. They have a big Masters bike race there, le Coupe des Ameriques. Lovely countryside, and it's just north of Vermont, so fabulous in the fall.

If you want to improve your French, tour the countryside. The people are extremely friendly, but you have to make an effort to speak their language. The Gaspe peninsula is highly recommended.

I used to live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I've lived in Canada now way longer than I've lived in the US. My only accommodation to Canadian bilingualism is that I always sing the Canadian national anthem in French (well, it was written originally in French, and the French words make way more sense!).

L.
Old 08-15-09, 01:20 PM
Shakkan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
The only thing that peeves me on my visits to Montreal (one of the most fun places in Canada) is that whenever I try to speak French, they speak English back to you. Montrealers tend to be quite a bit more arrogant than other Quebecers, sort of the Paris of Quebec. I guess they don't like to listen to bad French, and they want to let you know they can speak English better than you can speak French!
I am a bilingual Quebecer (with French as mother tongue) and I can tell you that if I reply in English to someone who tries to speak French, it would be to accommodate the person, not to be an *******. I personally believe that's generally the case in Montreal. I now live in the south shore so my English speaking is strictly limited to business now.
Old 08-15-09, 09:18 PM
lmtada

Bikes: Trek Fuel 100, GT Road Bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is neither annoying or nor obnoxious. Canadians speak french and english and a gamut of many languages. Being a western Canadian, I welcome the fact that we can speak multi languages. My french is not all that good, however when I am immersed in Quebec or France, It comes back to me quickly. Enjoy it.
I spent some time in southern France, and enjoyed the wine, cheese, croissont, and cycling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.