Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain Shimano Bar End shifters SL BS50 and SL BS64?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 03:08 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts

I have a set of SL BS64 on my Stumpjumper that I run in friction mode. In index mode the right shifter has 6 clicks, which I took to mean it's 7 speed, although it doesn't run through the 7 speed cassette very cleanly. I'm really a friction guy, so I haven't tried to fine-tune the cable tension, but figured if I did it would probably work fine. For reasons I'll explain shortly, I looked up the shifters, and from what I can tell they are supposed to be 8 speed. So I start counting fingers and wondering how 6 clicks gets me 7 shifts, which, according to my calculations, is how many you'd need to run through an 8 speed.

But wait, I'm not done. I needed another set of bar ends for a project and picked a set of SL BS50 on Ebay. Velobase lists these as 7 speed, although mine (unmounted) in index mode only has 4 clicks. What's up with that? The Ebay auction described them as 5 speed, but as far as I know Shimano didn't make 5 speed shifters, at least none that look like these (other than the model number ID, they look identical to the SL-BS64).

Based on my reading so far, I would have thought that the BS50 is a 7 speed shifter, and the BS64, an 8 speed, but my experience doesn't seem to align with that. I am further confused by the fact that Jenson lists the SL-BS50/SL-BS64 as if they are indistinguishable, and 8 speed.

My Stumpjumper has in fact a 7 speed cassette (and a Deore RD). The other bike I'm working on has an 8 speed cassette (and an XTR RD). So if in fact I have 7- and 8- speed shifters, I might as well put them on the correct bikes, in case I decide to index them. If all else fails, I can always run both sets in friction mode and not worry about it.

If someone is familiar with both shifters, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Old 04-08-13, 03:52 PM
due ruote 

fyi the project bike is a 1995 Santana Sovereign, originally spec'd with the SL-BS50 shifters (7-speed, according to this Bikepedia spec page), although the bike had an 8-speed cassette. So I guess it was run in friction mode?
Old 04-09-13, 01:36 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
I have a set of SL BS64 on my Stumpjumper that I run in friction mode. In index mode the right shifter has 6 clicks, which I took to mean it's 7 speed, although it doesn't run through the 7 speed cassette very cleanly. I'm really a friction guy, so I haven't tried to fine-tune the cable tension, but figured if I did it would probably work fine. For reasons I'll explain shortly, I looked up the shifters, and from what I can tell they are supposed to be 8 speed. So I start counting fingers and wondering how 6 clicks gets me 7 shifts, which, according to my calculations, is how many you'd need to run through an 8 speed.

But wait, I'm not done. I needed another set of bar ends for a project and picked a set of SL BS50 on Ebay. Velobase lists these as 7 speed, although mine (unmounted) in index mode only has 4 clicks. What's up with that? The Ebay auction described them as 5 speed, but as far as I know Shimano didn't make 5 speed shifters, at least none that look like these (other than the model number ID, they look identical to the SL-BS64).

Based on my reading so far, I would have thought that the BS50 is a 7 speed shifter, and the BS64, an 8 speed, but my experience doesn't seem to align with that. I am further confused by the fact that Jenson lists the SL-BS50/SL-BS64 as if they are indistinguishable, and 8 speed.

My Stumpjumper has in fact a 7 speed cassette (and a Deore RD). The other bike I'm working on has an 8 speed cassette (and an XTR RD). So if in fact I have 7- and 8- speed shifters, I might as well put them on the correct bikes, in case I decide to index them. If all else fails, I can always run both sets in friction mode and not worry about it.

If someone is familiar with both shifters, I'm all ears. Thanks.
Whenever you encounter an indexed shimano barcon that doesn't seem to have the correct number of clicks, it's invariably because that funky square-ish washer is in the wrong orientation. Try it in the other three possible positions and one of them will work fine. ;-)

For what it's worth, you can also use the BS64 on the 7-speed if you want to ( and that's what I do on my 7-speed tandem ). When you have the cable and low limit screw of the RD set correctly, you'll never be able to access the last click anyhow.
Old 04-09-13, 01:49 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by mulveyr
Whenever you encounter an indexed shimano barcon that doesn't seem to have the correct number of clicks, it's invariably because that funky square-ish washer is in the wrong orientation. Try it in the other three possible positions and one of them will work fine. ;-)

For what it's worth, you can also use the BS64 on the 7-speed if you want to ( and that's what I do on my 7-speed tandem ). When you have the cable and low limit screw of the RD set correctly, you'll never be able to access the last click anyhow.
Yep. I turned the part you mentioned and the BS50 is now acting as it should.

The only thing I'm still unclear on is the no. of speeds these were designed for. The BS64 seems to be referred to consistently as 8 speed, but I've found some references calling the BS50 a 7-speed, and others, 8-speed.

Current plan is to use the BS50 set on the 7-speed, and put the BS64 on the 8-speed.
Old 04-09-13, 01:56 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Yep. I turned the part you mentioned and the BS50 is now acting as it should.

The only thing I'm still unclear on is the no. of speeds these were designed for. The BS64 seems to be referred to consistently as 8 speed, but I've found some references calling the BS50 a 7-speed, and others, 8-speed.

Current plan is to use the BS50 set on the 7-speed, and put the BS64 on the 8-speed.
According to https://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...d.php?p=564292 , Shimano used the same BS50 part number for both 7 and 8 speed versions. Seems dubious, but companies have done stranger things.

Edit: Based on https://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Herste...o/Gruppen.html , they actually did resuse the model number, just with an -7 or -8 suffix.
Old 04-09-13, 03:14 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by mulveyr
According to https://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...d.php?p=564292 , Shimano used the same BS50 part number for both 7 and 8 speed versions. Seems dubious, but companies have done stranger things.

Edit: Based on https://www.fa-technik.adfc.de/Herste...o/Gruppen.html , they actually did resuse the model number, just with an -7 or -8 suffix.
Thanks for those links. I hadn't stumbled on those.

According to the second one, my SL-BS50 unit (no suffix) would be Ultegra level from either 1991 or 1992. It looks to me like 1991 they had 6 and 7 speed, and in 1992 they added 8 speed. So I still don't know what I have.

I don't see any instances on the chart of SL-BS64 with no suffix, as mine reads. Seems odd, but the ones listed all appear to be 8 speed, which fits my assumptions.

At this point, I'll mount the shifters and report back in a few days with the results, for posterity.
Old 04-09-13, 09:49 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Here's some info I wrote up a while back:

The SL-BS50 shift levers are for 6-speed and 7-speed systems. There's a tiny grey plastic shim that fits in the cable groove on the shifter that changes the cable pull so they'll work with 6-speed clusters.

For trivia buffs: SL-BS50-8 is Dura-Ace 8-speed, SL-BS64 is non-Dura-Ace 8-speed, SL-BS77 is 9-speed.

The "indexing washer" can get messed up and goof up the number of notches the shift lever hits. Shimano calls it "lever boss cover" (part #2) in this PDF:
https://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830628723.pdf
Note that the "fat tab" points down when the shift lever is installed. The washer can fit on the lever body 4 ways, but only one is correct.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 04-09-13 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 09:15 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
oldie but goodie. thanks everyone. this fixed my issue. tab down!!!
Old 12-08-17, 01:11 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by illwafer
oldie but goodie. thanks everyone. this fixed my issue. tab down!!!
Ghosts of Christmas Past. Appropriate to the season.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-12-17, 07:55 AM
Joe Huddleston
Experienced

Bikes: 2007 Rivendell Custom(Nobilette), 1982 Nishiki Royal SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 6 Speed adapter for SL-BS50 Part # 66C-1500

I see that this thread has an old provenance, but i thought I have a shot as it is somewhat related. I am in search of this (see title) shim like adapter that allows the right 7 speed bar end to be used as a 6 speed indexed. I have only seen this in Shimano late 80-90's small parts catalogue, and I did see it in a NOS Ebay offering some time back which was the whole SL-BS 50 pkg. I know it will friction shift. Thanks in advance for any info.