Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pro cyclists had hidden motors since 1998?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Pro cyclists had hidden motors since 1998?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 02:28 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 872 Posts
The level of team coordination involved with adding motors seems to be far higher than other forms of cheating.

With doping, an individual or group of riders can seek outside assistance and get what they want. No one on the team needs to know.

With hidden motors, at a minimum there has to be some collusion between the rider and mechanic involved. Likely others involved too given the complexity of building such a system while avoiding detection. It's not like the mechanic can just snap a motor in place in a few minutes, and then pop it out later to avoid detection. It seems like a motor would require some major internal modifications to frames, bottom brackets, cranksets, etc.

Aren't manufacturers reps around team bikes all the time too? I would imagine on Team Sky, there is an army of folks from Pinarello, Shimano, Fizik, etc that are constantly inspecting bikes, reviewing setups, etc. These guys pay big bucks to put riders on their equipment. A broken frame or component failure can be devastating to their marketing efforts.

I dunno... maybe there is some vast conspiracy to run motors in top level racing, but it seems really far fetched to me.
Old 01-30-17, 02:58 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
The level of team coordination involved with adding motors seems to be far higher than other forms of cheating.

With doping, an individual or group of riders can seek outside assistance and get what they want. No one on the team needs to know.

(...)

Aren't manufacturers reps around team bikes all the time too?
Well, as someone mentioned before here, a huge level of coordination goes into blood doping as well, and it still happened.

Also, it does not take a lot of mechanical adjustments to the bike. You just plop the motor and battery into the seat tube, and you need to alter the Bottom bracket so the motor can engage the crankset. Done. All the rest can be done with remote control (as in lets say a watch).

And no, I don't think manufacturers reps are around the bikes 'all the time'. The team mechanics are the ones who handle, adjust, store, setup, wash, bar tape, etc. etc. You literally just need the involvement of the mechanics, the team manager (aka coach) and the rider(s).

Same level of involvement as in other kinds of doping. You are forgetting we were talking about organized doping here, not individual riders taking stuff on their own: The soigneurs were often used as doping carriers, the team doctors, managers and riders were all in on it, and helped conceal everything. Mechanical doping needs even less involvement actually, caus the team doctors and soigneurs don't need to know, just the mechanics.

GCN did a whole video series on the behind the scenes mechanics / team trucks. Gives you a good idea:
Old 01-30-17, 04:19 PM
cold turtle
neo-poster

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2018 Specialized Tarmac SL6 Pro; Cannondale Slice RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
And the neutral support cars will need to start stocking spare batteries.
No wonder Froomey had so much trouble with that spare bike on Ventoux. Couldn't find the button for the motor.
Old 01-30-17, 04:20 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
To get away with riding with a motor in the pro peloton, the mechanic, the team car and the rider all need to be in on it. This is all certainly possible but it seems like a logistical challenge. Blood doping was also a logistical challenge so anything is possible. All a rider would need is a few minutes of 50-100 watts to win a big race, the margins of victory are tiny. The motors and batteries make this very easy to achieve.
Blood doping is logistically MUCH MUCH easier. Precisely two people are required for blood doping, the rider and the team doctor, everyone else just has to look the other way. Drug use is even easier since riders frequently train away from the team and scrutiny, so they have plenty of opportunities.

Hidden motors require numerous people to be actively involved. And even concealing them becomes exceedingly difficult. For example, fans frequently mingle with riders at the race start, and winning bikes would be inspected at race end, so that's a double bike swap? A few minutes of extra power can win a tight race, but then you need to hide the bike.

As for accusations about Team Sky, they have proved their performance in situations where inspection was guaranteed and bike swaps would not be possible, for example, Froome's time trials.
I do agree that any bike more than a handful of grams over 6.8kg should get closer scrutiny.

Motorized bikes is a way to distract from the fact that riders are likely still doping. Less blatantly than in the past, but still occurring. Drugs can be hidden in food or taken with a few minutes of privacy. All riders are taking some level of nutritional supplements, and riders frequently train away from teams, when they can do whatever they want.
Old 01-30-17, 05:51 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Kopsis
Electric motors are designed (wound) ...
Guess I am guilty of not reading the whole post, but the idea behind a stepper motor is to digital pulse based on whatever the controller says. It is not much like a motor.

So a disc that had ferrous/nonferrous sections in it and the coil in the brake area could easily be used for most 10-50mph applications.
Old 01-30-17, 07:47 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 5,119 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

I dunno... maybe there is some vast conspiracy to run motors in top level racing, but it seems really far fetched to me.
LOL, not ashamed to admit that I used to say similar stuff about how far fetched it was for Lance to be doping....

And I was not alone...
Old 01-30-17, 11:32 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Has anyone tried to calculate what the Sky bikes should weigh based on components. Seem highly suspicious that a team known for chasing marginal gains would bring an overweight bike to the start line. At least if the course was not flat as a pancake.
Old 01-31-17, 12:27 AM
gsa103

Originally Posted by work4bike
The show is called 60 Minutes, so yes it was only a 6-minute clip

However, they did deliver a fairly damning accusation to the Sky team. Why are their bikes 800 grams heavier...
Im guessing there's some confusion about the weight. One of the cycling mags reviewed a F8 with mech SR, and listed the weight at 6.6kg. Sky uses Di2, but lighter tires, so that should put them at about 6.8kg. The TT bikes will be much heavier and probably the best place to hide a motor (tons of space, extra weight is expected).

If Froome's F8 was significantly above 6.8kg, I'd be surprised.
Old 01-31-17, 02:09 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Apparently all the other teams had tt bikes right at the UCI weight limit. Thats why it looks suspicious that the wealthiest team did not.
Old 01-31-17, 09:01 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doge
the idea behind a stepper motor is to digital pulse based on whatever the controller says. It is not much like a motor.
Motors commonly used today on e-bikes are brushless DC designs. They use Hall sensors and digital controllers to synchronously pulse the phase currents (and even high-frequency PWM the individual pulses for power control). Really the only difference between them and a "true" stepper motor is they're phased to provide smooth power instead of discrete steps. There's nothing magic about the stepper designs ... the same physics applies. They can both be designed for whatever no-load RPM you want, but you sacrifice torque and make them even more inefficient at lower speeds as you target higher speeds.

But it's doubtful the hidden seat tube motors in the historical cases in question could have been anything other than high power brushed DC motors. 90's era digital control electronics would have been a nightmare to integrate and would have significantly reduced power efficiency.
Old 01-31-17, 10:35 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Apparently all the other teams had tt bikes right at the UCI weight limit. Thats why it looks suspicious that the wealthiest team did not.
They spent last year scanning everyone with infrared cameras because it is trivial to detect. Entropy is unavoidable.

There might have been a window when this kind of thing may have been feasible, but that window doesn't include last year, at least.
Old 01-31-17, 11:22 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
They spent last year scanning everyone with infrared cameras because it is trivial to detect. Entropy is unavoidable.

There might have been a window when this kind of thing may have been feasible, but that window doesn't include last year, at least.
What or who exactly is everyone? Do you have sources to back that up? The numbers I've seen only show a small fraction of bikes in a small fraction of stages/races are subjected to screening.

They don't have the capabilities and/or willingness to scan every bike. That's why new cheaters like dopers *continue* to be caught, at different levels of competition, with men and women, and even outside of cycling. Because testing is a small random sampling...And cheating is a calculated risk.
Old 01-31-17, 01:10 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
What or who exactly is everyone? Do you have sources to back that up? The numbers I've seen only show a small fraction of bikes in a small fraction of stages/races are subjected to screening.

They don't have the capabilities and/or willingness to scan every bike. That's why new cheaters like dopers *continue* to be caught, at different levels of competition, with men and women, and even outside of cycling. Because testing is a small random sampling...And cheating is a calculated risk.
This isn't random sampling, this is thermal camera crews on motorcycles out on the route just like any other camera crew. The TdF just announced they're doing it again this year, despite not getting any positives last year. I know cyclingnews had pictures of one of the FLIR crews in their article about one of the TdF stages from on the road.

This isn't like detecting tiny changes in blood chemistry. It's probably trivial to get away with this in a local crit or whatever, but it would be a total facepalm moment to get caught at the really big UCI events.
Old 01-31-17, 01:38 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Y'all are assuming the governing body wants it found.
Old 01-31-17, 01:42 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Y'all are assuming the governing body wants it found.
Ahhhh . . . a conspiracy theorist.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-31-17, 01:45 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Nope, just a realist. It's not like outright cheating hasn't been swept under the rug before.
Old 01-31-17, 02:00 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Nope, just a realist. It's not like outright cheating hasn't been swept under the rug before.
I agree. and if you watch the 60 Minutes overdrive segment on Hidden magnets, the correspondent says "I can't understand why someone would cheat. I thought the whole point was to show that you're the best, the strongest". lol. I guess there's one guy who's not a realist. There's also a clip of him riding a bike and falling over into some bushes.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-31-17, 02:17 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I've been doing this since 2013 (for commuting purposes only!), I'm surprised that the regulatory bodies didn't think of it until 2014.

My bikes aren't quite that stealth (a gruber assist is easily available for about $2000, while my motor cost $80), and I know several people who put batteries in the frames of their bikes.

We are talking about 200 watts for 20 minutes. Its enough to put a strong rider in front of the pack when it counts.

Good point about 1998. Battery technology has changed a LOT since 1998 (or just since 2013). I could get this power now with about 7 cells, or about 400grams. The batteries alone would weigh twice that just 4 years ago.
Old 01-31-17, 04:37 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
This isn't random sampling, this is thermal camera crews on motorcycles out on the route just like any other camera crew. The TdF just announced they're doing it again this year, despite not getting any positives last year. I know cyclingnews had pictures of one of the FLIR crews in their article about one of the TdF stages from on the road.

This isn't like detecting tiny changes in blood chemistry. It's probably trivial to get away with this in a local crit or whatever, but it would be a total facepalm moment to get caught at the really big UCI events.
The official stance of UCI was initially to reject Thermal Imaging (for various alleged factors). I read it was employed selectively during TDF. In fact, I don't find any UCI press release or 3rd party reports imply its full-time used.
Old 01-31-17, 04:41 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
Yeah. That's crazy talk. As if that's ever happened before. Like, say, a few years ago, in the most high profile case in the history of the sport. Total impossibility.

Complete nutter to suggest such a thing.

Old 01-31-17, 06:38 PM
gsa103

Originally Posted by redfooj
The official stance of UCI was initially to reject Thermal Imaging (for various alleged factors). I read it was employed selectively during TDF. In fact, I don't find any UCI press release or 3rd party reports imply its full-time used.
Thermal imaging has a lot of flaws. Thermally reflective surfaces (metals and some paint) can throw it way off. If the motor isn't running it will look totally normal. It's usable, but I wouldn't pretend it's going to be some magic bullet.

Magnetic detection is far more reliable, since there are basically no magnets on a modern bike. Any motor is going to have a significant fraction of it's mass made of rare earth magnets.

The other reliable test is a scale. If the bike really is 800g heavier than competitors, that alone should be grounds for a more detailed inspection, including partial disassembly (wheel inspection, seat post, crank removal). If you find, for example, a seat post stuffed full of rocks (ballast), that opens a lot of questions, even if it's not true positive.
Old 02-01-17, 05:04 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 801 Posts
On the 60-minute special, they talked about a new design that fits in the rear hub, but only said it adds ~800 grams to the weight. Notice they didn't show the design; I'd be really curious to see that design, not something you can just add to a standard hub, no where near the room, like in the seat tube.
Old 02-01-17, 09:55 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
A deterrent to using motors would be by requiring 12-13# bikes instead of the current >15# (6.8kg) - and then weighing them. In that range (with current technology) you could allow a motor and make it more interesting.
Old 02-01-17, 02:44 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
On the 60-minute special, they talked about a new design that fits in the rear hub, but only said it adds ~800 grams to the weight. Notice they didn't show the design; I'd be really curious to see that design, not something you can just add to a standard hub, no where near the room, like in the seat tube.
The way that works is like an induction motor.

There would be magnets in the rim of the rear wheel. By having a current flow perpendicular to the wheel, from drive side to non-drive-side, a magnetic field would be induced around the hub. This magnetic field would make the magnets in the rim spin, in such a way that the bike moves forward.

So there would not have to be any moving parts in the hub, just an electrical current (and battery). I don;t know how hubs are built, but perhaps there would be enough room for an electrical circuit and a modest battery?

He did show the magnets in the rim of the wheel part in the video, but not the hub part.
Old 02-01-17, 03:54 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was thinking about how some people scoff at the plausibility of this form of cheating because it would be soooo ridiculous and obvious...

...and remembered how, in the prior season, one of the most prominent riders (Vincenzo nibali) in one of the most prominent race (vuelta) grabbed his team car and was rocketed away out of sight in front of a 25-rider-strong grupetto.

The brazenness is hilarious