Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

pannier space?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

pannier space?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 09:30 AM
geonjorjany

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pannier space?

...i posted about this in another thread, but i'm thinking that might not be the best place for it. anyway, i've been researching panniers for extended touring. i've pretty much settled on axiom, but i'm unsure how much pannier space one really needs. how much space do you typically need on a tour...

...i was thinking of getting a pair of Axiom Kootenay's for the front, and one Axiom Champlain in the rear (something else will be taking up the other rear side). but if that's more space than necessary, i'd rather go with something like one Axiom Laselle, or Axiom Typhoon in the back, since it seems like it'd be easier to manage...

...any thoughts? am i being overly stupid in my approach to this?..
Old 04-09-10, 10:01 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
You aren't being stupid but it sounds like your letting the product line do the choosing instead of your need. Sit down and actually pack up all the things you need to take and see how much space that takes then pick the bags. Get a couple cloth shopping bags and see how they fill up, that's about 60liters I'm guessing.

I'd rather underpack carrying only essential gear and buying a Hawaiian print shirt if that's what I really want, than carry more items than I absolutely need only to use them once a week.

Last edited by LeeG; 04-09-10 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-09-10, 11:17 AM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another thought is about access and separation. If you have a rubber boot and you've packed your socks on the bottom, you have to rummage through or take out everything top get your socks. Panniers with a 180 degree double zipper allow you to open a hand size space at the area you need and retrieve what ever it is you need without disturbing other items and requiring a re-pack. Also lots of pockets means that you can separate items more easily.

Everyone has their favourite pannier but as a rule the ones on the front are smaller than the ones in the rear. Pack heavy items low for maximum stability of the ride.

Enjoy!
Old 04-09-10, 11:26 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
It's kind of hard to tell how much space you need without experience. And you need some sort of pannier to get that experience.

If you have experience with other kinds of self-sustained, space-constrained travel (eg, backpacking), you have a reasonable place to start from.

If you have really big panniers, you might be inclined to carry more stuff than you need.

Starting with the stuff you plan to carry is a good idea. It's possible that a outdoor store that has panniers might let you try-out packing what they have in stock. Whether or not you buy what they provide, it would give you an idea of the sizes of things.

Keep in mind that you might want some reserve space for carrying food, etc. That is, don't start out with the panniers stuffed.
Old 04-09-10, 11:36 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get front low-riders, handle bar bag, bento box, saddle bag and go for a short try-out tour, with some things strapped to the top of the rack. This will tell you how big your last pannier needs to be and how many pockets it should have.
Old 04-09-10, 12:17 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
i have the axiom champlain and i reallly like them. sometimes it is more space than i need but thats ok because sometimes i pack em full. it really depends on how much stuff YOU need to bring.
Old 04-09-10, 01:10 PM
geonjorjany

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...all very good advice. i think i have a better idea of how i should be approaching this, i appreciate your input, probably saved me a headache or two...
Old 04-09-10, 01:38 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
you'll be surprised how little space you need if you pack clothes and sleeping bag down in a compression sack and don't take large hard items.
Old 04-09-10, 11:36 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
LeeG
you'll be surprised how little space you need if you pack clothes and sleeping bag down in a compression sack and don't take large hard items.
Yup!

The green compression sack is a 25 degree synthetic bag (1.5lbs.), the blue compression sack is a Sierra Design Lightning 2-person tent and rainfly(4lbs), and orange bag is full length Themarest Prolite 4. The water bottle is for scale.

Gray bags hold sil-nylon tent ground cloth and a stuffable down pillow. Everthing fits in Medium Ortlieb Rack Pack with room for my running shoes.

It is roomy for it's weight.

and versatile.
Old 04-10-10, 06:19 AM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LeeG
I take it one step further than using a ditty bag, I buy the travel compression bags from a travel store. They also make any pannier 'water proof'.

I put my sleeping bag in one and my clothes in another. It's great for creating space!