Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 12:55 AM
cgarcia2282

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello All, this is the rig that I put together for my first tour (Berkley to San Diego).
Raleigh 29er w/ Shimano Alfine 8 spd hub.

Last edited by cgarcia2282; 10-19-10 at 12:59 AM. Reason: more pics
Old 10-19-10, 08:26 AM
Rico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by safariofthemind
Rico, how does it handle with the weight up high on the frame bag like that? The Surly has a pretty long wheelbase which should compensate, but I wonder. You using it off road a lot? Nice job btw.
It handles great with the frame bag. The only problem I have if its overstuffed it rubs my legs a bit. Its my first attempt at sewing and it worked out well. I now have a smaller tent that fits in the frame bag so everything is a little more compact.

Yeah I ride a lot of different terrain. I live around the Great Salt Lake so there are a bunch of dirt farm roads and wildlife management area service roads that are fun to ride on, and most are dirt.

This ride was on a railroad causeway across the Great Salt Lake. Don't tell anyone, I think the road is off limits . It was an over nighter.
Old 10-19-10, 08:43 PM
safariofthemind
Life is a fun ride

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know Rico.

Great first post CGarcia. Cute bike hwdx. Feel free to post about your adventures! We love pictures
Old 10-21-10, 04:17 PM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nstrav10
I've been thinking about it lately and I do feel bad for leaving everybody behind. What I believe I'm going to do is fill it in with the rest of my pictures and tell the bigger events/stories that occurred during the tour and then a post tour summary. I know it's not going to be as good as it would have been if I'd have kept up with it on the road, but it really was becoming just a burden. So, that is the plan as of now. Just need to find the time and will to sit down and get to it.

P.S. In case you wanted a head start on what happened... The tour was absolutely the single most amazing thing I've done in my life and I've been back to normal life for about two months and needing to get away again.
Thanks. Congratulations on finishing your journey!

Speedo
Old 10-22-10, 10:11 AM
Lamabb
Doesn't ride enough

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Caad9 5 / 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker/ 2013 Orbea Orca Bli2 / 2011 Specialized Rock Hopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my rig. The only thing I'll be changing is adding spd pedals so I can use mountain bike shoes and possibly fenders. I'm so happy I finally have all the equipment I need for a big tour. I intend to ride cross country next summer with a few other people.

I actually love my BOB. The weight isn't on the frame at all, only half of the weight is on the rear tire which is better than 100% of it being on the tire. From my experience people who tour with trailers have less flats and broken spokes and typically ride faster than people who use panniers. A trailer is just easier to balance when you're rolling and since it's behind you it keeps all the weight out of sight and out of mind.
Old 10-24-10, 11:00 AM
cracker7213

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lamabb
Here's my rig. The only thing I'll be changing is adding spd pedals so I can use mountain bike shoes and possibly fenders. I'm so happy I finally have all the equipment I need for a big tour. I intend to ride cross country next summer with a few other people.

I actually love my BOB. The weight isn't on the frame at all, only half of the weight is on the rear tire which is better than 100% of it being on the tire. From my experience people who tour with trailers have less flats and broken spokes and typically ride faster than people who use panniers. A trailer is just easier to balance when you're rolling and since it's behind you it keeps all the weight out of sight and out of mind.
I was going to ask you why you did use panniers but then I saw what you wrote. This makes me want to get the BOB out of storage.
Old 10-24-10, 11:00 AM
cracker7213

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lamabb

I was going to ask you why you did use panniers but then I saw what you wrote. This makes me want to get the BOB out of storage.
Old 10-24-10, 07:43 PM
Cycle For Water
From Alaska to Argentina

Bikes: Bamboo Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bamboo bicycle on which I'm cycling from Alaska to Argentina. In LA now, having a blast! All the people you meet on the road...incredible!

If anybody is interested, have a blog going on on cycleforwater.com

Have a good one!

Old 10-24-10, 07:46 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cycle For Water
My bamboo bicycle on which I'm cycling from Alaska to Argentina. In LA now, having a blast! All the people you meet on the road...incredible!

If anybody is interested, have a blog going on on cycleforwater.com

Have a good one!

nice Calfe (made in Watsonville, Ca.)
and nice picture along HWY 1 at the El Sur Ranch, near the Big Sur Lighthouse, just north of Andrew Molera State Beach and Big Sur.
Old 10-25-10, 01:32 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That blue on the surly is a fantastic color.
Old 10-25-10, 02:52 PM
aggro_jo
sittin' in

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's a crappy pic of my loaded Caad 8 (CX) popping back across the Mississippi into Illinois after a weekend of camping and riding:

Old 10-27-10, 08:38 PM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice, real nice,,,,,

Originally Posted by KDC1956
Here she is.My baby
Old 10-27-10, 08:43 PM
safariofthemind
Life is a fun ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nycycle
Nice, real nice,,,,,
Like your color matched fenders. Custom job?
Old 10-29-10, 07:34 PM
Nycycle

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lamabb,,,,,,,,Tell BOB hi,,mines waitin fenners too,,,,,
Old 11-04-10, 08:14 PM
duckforcover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nycycle
Nice, real nice,,,,,

pic is broken.

repost please.
Old 11-07-10, 09:26 PM
mmeiser

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by timberline12k
Just picked up my XXL Fargo today from the LBS. Still missing the front and rear racks, frame bag and fenders, but it was nice to take it out for its first ride. The ride is awesome! Here are two photos. Can't wait to get it out on the Katy Trail.

Loaded rig photos will follow.
@timberline12k,That's a big bike. I should know I own one too. How tall are you btw? And that's not a stock build. Can you post the component break down for it? Interesting rims in particular.

Plenty more photos in my flickr feed: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2/

BTW, you also might find the Fargo Appreciation Society of interest: https://www.flickr.com/groups/fargo_a...ation_society/
Old 11-08-10, 07:33 AM
BLUMEANIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggro_jo
Here's a crappy pic of my loaded Caad 8 (CX) popping back across the Mississippi into Illinois after a weekend of camping and riding:

https://www.kelnet.com/jo/alton.jpg
aggro_jo
Which way do you go after crossing the bridge? We ride out to Pierre Marquette from the Shaw neighborhood in StL City all the time but we take the river front trail to the Chain of Rocks bridge then take rte3 into Alton and on to Grafton. The return trip has us crossing the river on the ferries and cutting into St. Chuck then crossing again on the Page Ex. I've always wondered what the ride was like after crossing at the Alton bridge.
Old 11-08-10, 08:07 AM
timberline12k
timberline12k

Bikes: Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mmeiser
@timberline12k,That's a big bike. I should know I own one too. How tall are you btw? And that's not a stock build. Can you post the component break down for it? Interesting rims in particular.

Plenty more photos in my flickr feed: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmeiser2/

BTW, you also might find the Fargo Appreciation Society of interest: https://www.flickr.com/groups/fargo_a...ation_society/
The bike is back at the LBS adding/swapping out some components. I am swapping out a 5 degree rise stem for a 40 degree rise stem. That should raise the bar above the seat. Also adding fenders and racks. I will list a components after that.

The rims are 36 hole Velocity Chukker rims. They are some of the strongest rims available. I am 6'5" and 250lbs.

I joined the Fargo Appreciation Flickr group. Thanks for the link.
Old 11-12-10, 09:22 AM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There appears to be a great number of dry weather tourers out there currently. What happened to the fenders?
Old 11-12-10, 02:45 PM
scube

Bikes: Schwinn Rams Horn Fastback, GT I-Drive, Comotion Speedster, Ibex Aprisa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Green Machine

Our rig on our Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Dr tour

Last edited by scube; 11-12-10 at 02:56 PM. Reason: practice
Old 11-14-10, 11:24 AM
tomn
www.Click-Stand.com

Bikes: Owner built touring & tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

These are from my September tour finishing the Northern Tier:

A field in Indiana with cows looking on.

Niagara Falls.

Crossing Lake Champlain on the cable ferry from Ticonderoga.

Bar harbor.

That is my new touring bike. There are more pictures of the bike here:
https://www.flickriver.com/photos/cli...7624505281671/

Thanks,
Tom
Old 11-14-10, 12:13 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow Tom, beautiful bike. Details on the build please....
Old 11-14-10, 12:36 PM
safariofthemind
Life is a fun ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, please, do tell. Nice work Tom.
Old 11-14-10, 02:06 PM
tomn
www.Click-Stand.com

Bikes: Owner built touring & tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
Wow Tom, beautiful bike. Details on the build please....
Well, since you are twisting my arm. I have been an amature frame builder for about twenty years. Not a bad hobby. I'm not sure how many more frames I'm going to build for myself, so I wanted to swank this one up. The drop-outs, derailleur hanger, and every mounting spot are unpainted stainless. I had the name badges laser cut out of stainless and brazed them on. The bar clamp on the stem is front mounted so you don't have to remove the tape to remove the handlebar. I also added a bracket so the GPS would be adjustably center mounted. I had to have another builder install the s&s couplers as you can't buy them without insurance. I added a steer-tube lock so the front wheel won't pivot when loading panniers. I had it powder coated flat black. I picked that so scrapes and scratches can be repaired with a rattle can. That is really hard to do with a glossy finish, but you can do an acceptable job with flat black. I used a vintage design for slap guard on the right chain-stay. The wooden fenders are from Woody's Fenders, but the fender stays are Honjo style, and the fork attachment is custom. I picked a threadless steer tube because the head set can be adjusted with an allen key. The frame is cut to fit me and my current riding position. I could go on. It has about 2000 miles on it now, all without incident.

Thanks for asking,
Tom
Old 11-14-10, 02:30 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds great. Thanks for the info, and congrats on building that awesome machine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.