Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

The Death of Road Riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 07:59 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
The Death of Road Riding

The first paragraph made feel bad for a second, since I now have a gravel bike. But I ride it on the road like any other racing bike I have. I only bought it so I could run bigger tires on my chipseal from hell roads, it's more practical.

The Death of Road Riding

https://www.outsideonline.com/2235071/death-road-riding
Old 08-19-17, 08:21 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
It's tl;dr.

By the Bike Snob NYC guy, but not in his blog style...

A few years ago, I wanted the "one bike to do everything", including fast group rides, long hill climbs, all-day rides, gravel roads, and even credit card touring.

But every bike had compromises. So I have two bikes:

A carbon road bike, for group rides and longer rides with resupply stops along the way. Fun and fast to ride. I ride this the most often.

A gravel style bike, with a wide range triple crank, fenders, and a rear rack. It takes up to 40mm tires or road tires. It's great for unsupported long rides, bringing water, food, and extra clothing layers. Way better on wet roads or if there's a chance of rain. Good on gravel roads with the right tires. Handles lightweight touring too.

Bigger tires on a road bike
Lots of road bikes now have room for 30mm tires. 10 or 12 years ago, even 25mm tires were a tight fit. My 30mm road tires on my gravel bike are very nice on bumpy, chip-seal, or potholed roads.

I have 26mm tires on my fast road bike. These are reasonably smooth and still fast.

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-19-17 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-19-17, 09:21 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
BSNYC can be verbose when he has the room to do it, but I enjoyed the read.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-19-17, 12:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Putting phrases like "The Death of" in the title is sure to foment controversy and drive readership - a classic attempt to drive a wedge, to fool the reader into a false premise which requires taking one side or the other.

It's op-ed, nothing more, and poorly written at that. "Really not too much difference" is horrible English.

-Tim-
Old 08-19-17, 01:34 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I ride my gravel with 40 tires everywhere. I have an older OCR3 with 23c and I never ride it.

Last edited by u235; 08-19-17 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 07:49 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 20 yr old rigid mountain bike that I use for commuting on the road. Haven't died yet.
Old 08-20-17, 07:31 AM
Troy Winter
flyover

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Lemans RS, 1994 Trek 930, All-city Machoman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 4 Posts
Riding on gravel roads is road riding.
Old 08-20-17, 07:44 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It is what got me back into road riding.
Old 08-20-17, 10:59 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass

The Death of Road Riding

from the article:

This is why cyclocross is waxing as road riding is waning. Not only is cyclocross more fun, but it does a much better job at including everybody else in the fun. It's vastly more entertaining to watch mommy ride around for 45 minutes and fall face-first in a mud puddle to the sound of cowbells and trombones.
I think I grew up in the sport before it was waxing but I did see MTB's wax and had my share of offroad thrills and spills but mostly look forward now -- hopefully for many more years -- to enjoying the waning sport of road biking on 25s.
Old 08-20-17, 11:11 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Speaking personally, I've entirely given up riding on the road alone. I'll only do group road rides. This is because I'm often terrified on the road which is strange coming from someone who's riding tens of thousands of road miles since the mid eighties. At least once per ride a driver either actively or passively tries to kill me: right hooks, 60mph close passes etc. Other drivers will shadow me for mile after mile, too timid to pass, irritating everyone behind them and making it my fault. Or they'll get into a "you go... no you go" waving contest at stop lights that wastes everyone's time. Or they'll floor it to get by me fifty feet from a red light. Etc. Now in the mid-forties with a family dependent on me I simply don't have time for this crap.

As the author points out, these kinds of stresses seriously decrease the pleasure of riding on the road. Riding gravel MUPs or mountain biking starts to look pretty attractive to me. As I get older, the appeal of these alternatives only gets stronger.
Old 08-20-17, 12:01 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Putting phrases like "The Death of" in the title is sure to foment controversy and drive readership - a classic attempt to drive a wedge, to fool the reader into a false premise which requires taking one side or the other.

It's op-ed, nothing more, and poorly written at that. "Really not too much difference" is horrible English.

-Tim-
I think it is blogger vernacular -- sort of poetic license without iambic pentameter.

Strava is as disconcerting as shining a blacklight on a hotel bedspread.
Tell me a phrase like that isn't worthy of the Nobel Prize in literature. Or at least chemistry.
Old 08-20-17, 12:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I will say that riding habits change and evolve.

I certainly wouldn't say that roadies are disappearing. The road riders are very dominant on some bike forums such as this one (less on on MTBR.COM). Century rides and similar long distance rides are very popular. There are, of course, large groups of older riders doing the century riders, but perhaps they just never see the young riders leaving them in the dust!!!

I don't believe one has to be covered in spandex to be classified as a roadie.

Actually, I think I'm seeing a resurrection of interest in road riding now that better tires and better equipment is available. As far as wide tires, or even cross... that may well compliment road riding. I've done 100+ miles of riding with 10 or 20 miles of gravel. In those cases, it just makes the road riding easier... and it was riding on roads, just with rough, soft surfaces.
Old 08-20-17, 12:38 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Strava is as disconcerting as shining a blacklight on a hotel bedspread.
That is signature worthy.
Old 08-20-17, 01:11 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
"Roadie" culture is not dying, but it IS losing it's place of sole dominance in the non-mtb world.

And thank goodness for that.

As a result we have much better quality equipment options for actually riding on the road than we did 15 years ago, as it became OK to produce bikes with useful features that "real roadies" dispised: wide tires, more upright cockpits, rack/fender mounts, more stable geometries.

You also don't need to dress like a ballerina to be a "real" rider anymore. Roadies may disagree, but fewer people are listening.

I think it was the influence of people approaching road riding from commuter/utility and mountain biking backgrounds that is helping a lot in this regard.

I've got nothing against people who want to approach road riding as a racing-centered activity with strict norms and traditions. It just always bothered me that they were always defered to as the "serious" cyclists.

IMO, one of the best things to happen for mountain biking was decline of XC racing as the main driver of the sport. I hope the same for road riding culture.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-20-17 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 01:13 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by wgscott
Tell me a phrase like that isn't worthy of the Nobel Prize in literature. Or at least chemistry.
Originally Posted by RJM
That is signature worthy.
The author Eben Weiss seems to think so because he is fond of using it. He also of fond of using "Got" instead of "have" and commas where they are not needed.

I really don't understand this idea riding is somehow more pure if you wear wool, are covered in mud and don't use a GPS.

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-20-17 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 01:23 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
He seems to prefer colloquial speech/writing. Some like it some don't.
Old 08-20-17, 01:33 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

The author Eben Weiss seems to think so because he is fond of using it.
That is where I found it.

The author Eben Weiss seems to think so ....

He also of fond of using "Got" instead of "have" and commas where they are not needed.

Should that not read as follows?

The author, Eben Weiss, seems to think so ....

He is also fond of using "Got" instead of "have," and of using commas where they are not needed.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 08-20-17 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 06:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Should that not read as follows?
Probably, but then I'm not employed writing op-ed for a major publication.

The editorial isn't even that interesting. It starts with a false premise and goes downhill from there.

There are still a few online e-zines with high literary standards. National Geographic comes to mind.

-Tim-
Old 08-20-17, 07:37 PM
zimdba

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 3.1 Shimano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about: you ride what you want, where you want, whenever you want. I'll do the same. If our paths happen to cross, great!

Personally, I'm a "horses for courses" kind of guy. Right now, commuting isn't an option, so I have an MTB, a gravel grinder. and a roadie. I can't see getting rid of any of them for any reason.
Old 08-20-17, 09:28 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

a major publication.
It's Outside magazine. Right up there with Bicycling!, except even the latter didn't publish an FBI smear campaign hit piece on Peter Matthiessen.
Old 08-21-17, 06:29 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
"Roadie" culture is not dying, but it IS losing it's place of sole dominance in the non-mtb world.

And thank goodness for that.

As a result we have much better quality equipment options for actually riding on the road than we did 15 years ago, as it became OK to produce bikes with useful features that "real roadies" dispised: wide tires, more upright cockpits, rack/fender mounts, more stable geometries.

You also don't need to dress like a ballerina to be a "real" rider anymore. Roadies may disagree, but fewer people are listening.

I think it was the influence of people approaching road riding from commuter/utility and mountain biking backgrounds that is helping a lot in this regard.

I've got nothing against people who want to approach road riding as a racing-centered activity with strict norms and traditions. It just always bothered me that they were always defered to as the "serious" cyclists.

IMO, one of the best things to happen for mountain biking was decline of XC racing as the main driver of the sport. I hope the same for road riding culture.
Best post I've read in a month. I'm super grateful for the proliferation of gravel-friendly options these days. I ride roads more than ever before -- sometimes gravel, and sometimes a mix of gravel and pavement.

Last edited by JonathanGennick; 08-21-17 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-21-17, 04:33 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting article, but I think he has it wrong. That is the proliferation of biking generally (e-bike, fat bike, cyclecross) etc. has expanded the universe of biking options. Road biking may or may not be more or less popular than ever - it's just a smaller slice of an ever growing pie. Just MHO.
Old 08-25-17, 08:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Winter
Riding on gravel roads is road riding.
This. Dirt roads are roads. Riding (especially a drop bar bike) on the road is road riding.
Old 08-25-17, 09:12 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

It's Outside magazine. Right up there with Bicycling!, except even the latter didn't publish an FBI smear campaign hit piece on Peter Matthiessen.
I think we have reached both clarity and agreement here.
Old 08-25-17, 04:33 PM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
At 62 years old and having done much street/road riding milage, this worries me... "According to the NHTSA, it kills over 3,000 people a year. Sure, it was never uncommon to see a driver scarfing a bag of McDonald's while driving with their knees, but now that same driver is also engrossed in a Twitter flame war and playing Pokemon Go at the same time"
There are many roads I used to ride on in the 80's and 90's that I wouldn't even think about riding on today, perhaps being older made me a little wiser? Lately I spend more time on gravel and dirt trails just to get away from traffic even though I love riding on the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.