Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So... Craigslist...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So... Craigslist...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 09:19 PM
torero310

Bikes: Nashbar Carbon 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So... Craigslist...

I've never used craigslist, I just always assumed it was like a sketch version of ebay... times 10. Anyways I was wondering if any of you have used craigslist for used bike components that would be a useful investment (e.g. powermeters or seats or wheels) and if you would share your experience so I have a better idea of what I'm dealing with.
Old 09-15-17, 09:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Buying or selling? I bought all three of my bikes from craigslist, two from the same guy a year apart. No problems. Just helps to know what to look for to be sure everything is in good condition, or bring along a knowledgeable friend.

I browse the components list once in awhile. Hesitated on a CycleOps Fluid2 trainer and missed a good deal last week.
Old 09-15-17, 09:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by torero310
I've never used craigslist, I just always assumed it was like a sketch version of ebay... times 10. Anyways I was wondering if any of you have used craigslist for used bike components that would be a useful investment (e.g. powermeters or seats or wheels) and if you would share your experience so I have a better idea of what I'm dealing with.
Thats an unfortunate assumption. Perhaps its true where you love, but its a terribly inaccurate description of craigslist around me.
I buy and sell on it all the time. I buy bikes on CL, refurbish them, and sell em on CL.
Ive met a lot of really interesting people and had some cool talks as a result.

Ive bought bikes, wheels, components, and other nonbike stuff too. And sold bikes and components.

If you need to be talked into even trying craigslist yhough, it may not be for you.
Old 09-15-17, 10:56 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I've bought and sold too much to remember on craigslist. The advice I'd give is the same as buying from a pawn shop and that is Know Your Product. Besides what is good working Condition, Know how much it sold new, going rate now,and what you consider a good deal.
As far as personal safety is concerned,take a friend and always meet at a safe location and time, that is to say what you deem to be a safe location, like a grocery store, dept store, or even a police station.
Old 09-15-17, 11:03 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Craigslist and yard sales! And also... a local bicycle co-op/charity place that has parts they will sell... which can be perfect for a vintage bike.

But patience (and knowledge) is key. Take your time checking the CL postings... I check daily. And be prepared to walk away from any deal. Don't compromise... just to make the purchase. Learn to enjoy the search.
Old 09-15-17, 11:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I've bought and sold lots of things on craigslist. Maybe a few a year. Bicycles, cars, motorcycles. Most recently bought a kid stoker kit for the tandem. Most recently sold a belt-drive 3-speed city bike. I don't think any of it has been stolen. I like to think that I can judge who's skeezy.

The guy who finally bought our year-old Tempurpedic at fire-sale price and couldn't shut up about what an amazing deal he was getting, he about got stabbed. :-p
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-15-17, 11:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you're worried about stolen stuff, there are sites other than craigslist that can be sketchier. 5miles, Letgo, OfferUp, Neerbuy, Saily and VarageSale all do pretty much the same thing. I've checked a few of those and some ads look more like ditching stolen property -- the sellers don't seem to have any idea what they're selling. Just take some reasonable precautions.
Old 09-16-17, 04:52 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
have used it to buy 3 bikes, no worries
Old 09-16-17, 07:42 AM
trainsktg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I've bought and sold lots of stuff on Craigslist, including my motorhome (both buying in 2009 and selling a few weeks ago). Transactions have occurred at my home, at the other sellers' homes, or at a public venue somewhere. All have gone well, all products were as advertised and all were good deals. Just know your product and follow your instincts if a deal looks to be too good to be true.

Keith
Old 09-16-17, 07:44 AM
gilpi

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
All positive reviews here on CL. I have sold dozens of items from musical instruments to power tools and bikes. Just recently purchased a Jamis road bike which was exactly what I was looking for as far as price and fit. As with all transactions, you need to know what to look for, where to meet and how to smell a scam.
Old 09-16-17, 09:41 AM
Keith777

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My number one rule for craigslist and Ebay to a certain extend is communication. Im not a frequent user but have bought car, tools, mowers, phones etc. If you are communicating and getting a good feel for the person that usually means you are not being scammed. I have never felt I was getting ripped off. There have been time when I felt less than thrilled at the deal but always satisfied.
As it seems there are some really seasoned Craiglisters here I do have one question. Increasingly I see listings that sate they won't respond to emails due to scams or calls only no texts. Curious as what they are trying to protect themselves from. My thoughts are that a phone number is something that you would want to protect rather than any emails through the CL system. I don't get this?
Old 09-16-17, 12:17 PM
gilpi

Originally Posted by Keith777
My number one rule for craigslist and Ebay to a certain extend is communication. Im not a frequent user but have bought car, tools, mowers, phones etc. If you are communicating and getting a good feel for the person that usually means you are not being scammed. I have never felt I was getting ripped off. There have been time when I felt less than thrilled at the deal but always satisfied.
As it seems there are some really seasoned Craiglisters here I do have one question. Increasingly I see listings that sate they won't respond to emails due to scams or calls only no texts. Curious as what they are trying to protect themselves from. My thoughts are that a phone number is something that you would want to protect rather than any emails through the CL system. I don't get this?
Well, if you ever sold anything on CL, you'd know. With a phone # you would attract more interested and serious possible buyers where as with email you get lots of "Is the item still available?", tire kickers and others. I personally go with the email option and if there is someone that sounds interested, I forward my cell# and go from there.
Old 09-16-17, 01:11 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by gilpi
Well, if you ever sold anything on CL, you'd know. With a phone # you would attract more interested and serious possible buyers where as with email you get lots of "Is the item still available?", tire kickers and others. I personally go with the email option and if there is someone that sounds interested, I forward my cell# and go from there.
I stopped giving out my phone number for initial contact a few years back, after some idiot decided to try the texting me a few times a day to tell me what crap I had, and how I should be happy to let him offer 20-25% of asking price. Much easier to ignore such things over email.

Once a meeting is in the works, I'll give out a number.

CL is not for the feint of heart, but one can do decent purchases/sales if one is knowledgeable and fine bargaining.
Old 09-16-17, 01:53 PM
RunForTheHills

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have bought a few bikes through Craigslist. The only transaction I regret was a Feedback Sports repair stand. It was a good price and I figured it was used. The guy shows up at the agreed meeting location with a stand new in the box. I wasn't expecting that, but paid him for it and took it home. I noticed he didn't take his ad down after I purchased it for a week or two.
Old 09-16-17, 04:39 PM
atitagain

Bikes: caad 8 c'dale , trek madone 5.2

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CL scammers accumulating personal information lists to sell to marketers and kids that like to play with their smartphones love to text . If a response is suspicious , delete it . Best to put "cash and carry only " in the ad . Texts are almost always a waste of your time to respond to . A request for more pictures sent from your personal e-mail rather than through CL e-mail is a popular scam to get personal info . I like CL but there is a ton of bull that goes on with it . i have a bike on now and a text offer to send me a check sight unseen if I will just e-mail him my name and address . Deleted .
Old 09-16-17, 04:53 PM
gilpi

Originally Posted by jefnvk

CL is not for the feint of heart, but one can do decent purchases/sales if one is knowledgeable and fine bargaining.
Old 09-16-17, 05:22 PM
SANDBORNSTEVE

Bikes: Felt F70

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love Craigslist.I just got this bike off of there a few weeks ago.I always prefer to meet in a public place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG-4IqRjTPnH2j2CqA_Z90AGE.jpg (91.8 KB, 145 views)
Old 09-16-17, 05:55 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
got a long, antique, french pedal wrench that's good as new. works like a charm
Old 09-16-17, 07:00 PM
Laurido92

Bikes: 2019 Pinarello Prince FX 2021 Pinarello Prince Disk Canyon Grizl CF SL

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've bought and sold countless items on Craigslist and haven't had an issue. The key is to meet in a well light and public/crowded place. I've bought/sold around 15 bikes on Craigslist and that's not counting the parts I've bought from there as well. You will hear horror stories but they key is to meet in public well lit places and I don't go to people's houses nor they come to mine.
Old 09-16-17, 09:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Claiming texts are almost always a waste of tine to respond to...

Ha, thats funny. And not based in reality.
Perhals the small sample size needs to be taken into account.
Old 09-17-17, 05:23 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Craigslist and yard sales! And also... a local bicycle co-op/charity place that has parts they will sell... which can be perfect for a vintage bike.

But patience (and knowledge) is key. Take your time checking the CL postings... I check daily. And be prepared to walk away from any deal. Don't compromise... just to make the purchase. Learn to enjoy the search.
This!!
Old 09-17-17, 06:06 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Another proponent of CL here, I've bought and sold a ton of stuff on CL without issue but you must be smart about it. I usually stay away from area's that are known to be rough area's when buying and never give in to a message wanting to communicate in a different manner. The best one is where a potential buyer is out of town but agrees to your price and wants to have a third party send you money to pay for your item. Or that too good to be true deal like a fully restored 69 Camaro in mint condition for $5,000, Yeah Right! Just use our head and trust your gut instincts.
Old 09-17-17, 07:04 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Here, Craig's List is a wasteland with few users there are currently all of 14 bikes for sale within 50km of me, and I live in a city of 1M people - Kijiji is the used site of choice for most people. I buy and sell my cars, tires, baby gear, bikes, lawnmowers, and just about anything.

There are a lot of buy it and sell it people trying to make money off negotiating on both sides, but that's 'market efficiency' at work.

Last edited by Viich; 09-17-17 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-17-17, 12:01 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I've had excellent experiences buying and selling bicycles and bike accessories/components on Craigslist. In SoCal, the standard was to meet at a public place (usually the parking lot of a shopping center). In other places, I've done transactions at my home/other people's homes. The bike people have always been fine, but when in doubt, find a public area. Your community might even have a designated area - we have one downtown in a lit up parking lot with cameras and nearby police presence.

The sketchballs I've encountered have been with consumer electronics - I now stick to local shops or ebay/Amazon. Other items - vehicles, rentals, furniture - the biggest problem I've had is flaky buyers and sellers.