Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 10:20 PM
Marcusmeditates

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Byrnem31
bought one last year. A very well made bike, fast and easy to cycle.
Agreed. It rolls easy. I almost crashed it in a mud puddle (skipped a few beats) but gained composure with some effort. Regardless, the first few miles were fun.
Old 12-06-19, 07:17 AM
rrscott135
Born Again Cyclist

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold Weather Riding Questions

I ride a DS2 and live in the Midwest. For several months out of the year, we experience cold weather. I have some questions about how others adapt to cold-weather riding.
1. What are some items (clothing, gloves, etc.) that people use when riding in colder climates?
2. How do you stay warm without wearing so much that it feels bulky and uncomfortable when riding?
3. I wear a helmet. What is available to keep my head/face warm and still wear a helmet? (Do they still sell old-fashioned ski masks? )
4. Any special concerns regarding your bike/equipment?
5. Cold weather = shorter days which means more riding in less-than ideal lighting conditions. What arrange of lights do you use? Front light? Rear light? Helmet light?

I appreciate the responses and hope to learn some information!
Thank you.
Scott
Old 12-07-19, 11:32 AM
bkmdano12

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me know if you changed the fork out. Just picked up a 2019 DS2 and plan on converting to all road. I have a 2017 DS4 that will be my off road bike. I'm 59 yrs. old and I stirring away from my drop down bar road bikes.
Old 12-08-19, 06:46 PM
fry45

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's called a balaclava? it's basically a ski mask. I live in the midwest but do not ride this time of year for the following reasons a) no studded tires b) salt ruins a bikes drivetrain and I cannot stand even the slightest rust on my bikes. At the minimum I'd go front and rear lights as I do ride all times of the day and night when no snow sand or salt on the roads.
Old 01-11-20, 12:20 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Couldn't ride on ice without studded tires. So I spent the money and got a pair of Schwalbe Ice Spikers. They are working great.

Last edited by 308jerry; 01-11-20 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-09-20, 10:34 PM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
And then this happened

And then this happened. After unhooking the Jeep from the Leprechaun motorhome my wife backed into a post damaging both the bike and the rack. When I got the bike ito my local Trek dealer the owner took one look at the bike and said "are you ok?" I love my local dealer.

i thought for sure the frame was bent but all I need is a rear wheel.

what i really need is some warm weather.

Old 02-17-20, 07:37 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
My '17 DS3.. recently swapped the stem to a shorter Bontrager Rhythm w/ a Ritchey WCS 10° flatbar and added some ODI lock-on Vans grips

next up will be some 43c Gravel King gumwalls

Eventually I'd like to put a rigid carbon fork on it, just gotta find one for a decent price.

Likes For ceelint:
Old 03-08-20, 09:09 AM
rbevansjr

Bikes: 2021 Domane SL5, 2020 Trek Dual Sport 3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just purchased a 2020 DS 3

First post, I just purchased a 2020 DS3 and am excited for spring to start riding outside versus the Peloton I’ve been riding during the winter. When I purchased the bike the salesman mentioned the possibility of putting tubeless tires on the bike. Has anyone done that and what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so?

Also, I noted the 2019 DS3 had 3x9 gearing while the 2020 is 2x9. Any idea why Trek would have made that change? Not sure it matters for the type of riding I will be doing (bike trails that are relatively flat, some crushed gravel) but curious. Thanks and looking forward to this forum.
Old 03-08-20, 06:47 PM
fry45

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1-Salesman wants more revenue for the shop. Like any retail business they are always trying to upsell. Advantages? For the $ none unless u r concerned about shaving 45 seconds off of a 50 mile ride. Disadvantages? If u do get a flat out in the middle of nowhere u are hosed. 2-2x9 is more than u need for bike trails and gravel ...no worries
Old 04-01-20, 01:01 PM
Moose95

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Upgrading to an Air Fork?

I have a 2019 DS3, and love it. As I start up again now that the weather is breaking, I am considering upgrading to an air fork. My usual ride is about 2 miles of gravel, another mile or two of packed dirt with small exposed roots, and then 5 or 6 miles of paved paths, with many of them having "root heaves" under them, so I want to keep a suspension fork for all the bumpy parts of my ride. I will never intentionally catch air, but since I am about 250-260 pounds, the front spring compresses quite a bit when I get on. I pried the cap off and cranked the preload a couple of turns, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I've heard that air springs are easier to compensate for heavier riders, so was wondering what people think, and any recommendations for what will fit. Thanks
Old 04-02-20, 08:03 AM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rbevansjr
Also, I noted the 2019 DS3 had 3x9 gearing while the 2020 is 2x9. Any idea why Trek would have made that change? Not sure it matters for the type of riding I will be doing (bike trails that are relatively flat, some crushed gravel) but curious. Thanks and looking forward to this forum.
I have a 2012 DS 8.5 with a 3x9. I almost never use the 1st ring but I know it's there. If I'm not mistaken the DS with 2x9 have a lower 1st ring than the middle ring on the 3x9.
Old 04-03-20, 03:34 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose95
I have a 2019 DS3, and love it. As I start up again now that the weather is breaking, I am considering upgrading to an air fork. My usual ride is about 2 miles of gravel, another mile or two of packed dirt with small exposed roots, and then 5 or 6 miles of paved paths, with many of them having "root heaves" under them, so I want to keep a suspension fork for all the bumpy parts of my ride. I will never intentionally catch air, but since I am about 250-260 pounds, the front spring compresses quite a bit when I get on. I pried the cap off and cranked the preload a couple of turns, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I've heard that air springs are easier to compensate for heavier riders, so was wondering what people think, and any recommendations for what will fit. Thanks
Hey Moose95, here was my thoughts on the RockShox Paragon:

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...x-paragon.html
Old 04-03-20, 08:53 PM
Moose95

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info! I was not aware that you would have to cut down the new fork to make it fit. I was hoping that there was a "bolt on" upgrade path. I stopped by my local bike shop today and asked the mechanic there, and he spent most of the time trying to talk me into a new $1100 mountain bike instead, in spite of me saying I didn't like the low gearing of the MTB I used to have. Eventually he looked it up and said he found a fork for $250, plus $70 installation. I forgot to ask him the model fork he found. From your other postings, it also sounds like the air fork will be more maintenance - is that turning out to be the case?
Likes For Moose95:
Old 04-04-20, 07:10 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Moose95
Thanks for the info! I was not aware that you would have to cut down the new fork to make it fit. I was hoping that there was a "bolt on" upgrade path. I stopped by my local bike shop today and asked the mechanic there, and he spent most of the time trying to talk me into a new $1100 mountain bike instead, in spite of me saying I didn't like the low gearing of the MTB I used to have. Eventually he looked it up and said he found a fork for $250, plus $70 installation. I forgot to ask him the model fork he found. From your other postings, it also sounds like the air fork will be more maintenance - is that turning out to be the case?
IT is more maintenance, but reality is all forks require some maintenance. MY old Suntour NEX needed to be taken apart and re-oiled. It's currently taken apart in my garage just to see how it looks after around 3000 miles of usage. The Paragon air shock does come with extra seals to replace worn out seals and that's part of the maintenance to keep it usable. IF I remember correctly, it is supposed to be maintained I think every 1000 miles. But reality is if it's still working properly, most likely can get away from having to do it exactly at the 1000 mile marker.

Oh, depending on the size of your bike, you might not need it to be cut. My Crosstrail was a size medium and the steer tube on the Paragon was just too long, so it needed to be cut. My new Sub Cross is size large, I have a Paragon waiting to be installed, but the size of the head tube to the large Scott Sub Cross, may mean, I don't need to have the tube cut. So that part is going to depend on the size of your bike.

Last edited by travbikeman; 04-04-20 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-11-20, 04:17 PM
suzukilou

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loving my 2015 8.4 DS. Wouldn't mind lightening it up a bit. Would like to upload a pic but need 10 posts. Heres 1.
Old 04-13-20, 08:55 PM
hls811

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I picked up a 2019 DS3 about 2 months ago, I've ridden it a handful of times to get myself out of the house.. usually 10-15 miles each time. I sold my road bike a few years ago and wanted to get back in but wanted something I could use to go out on my own for a long ride or just cruise around the neighborhood and park with my kids and a hybrid seemed ideal and I found a great deal on the DS3.

I just ordered a new stem for it, it has the 110mm and I just felt like I was reaching a bit too much, I'm excited to see how it feels with the shorter one. I'm thinking I'll want/need a new saddle next, I'm just not sure what to get.

Likes For hls811:
Old 04-13-20, 09:59 PM
gazz

Bikes: '19 Trek DS3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hls811
I picked up a 2019 DS3 about 2 months ago, I've ridden it a handful of times to get myself out of the house.. usually 10-15 miles each time. I sold my road bike a few years ago and wanted to get back in but wanted something I could use to go out on my own for a long ride or just cruise around the neighborhood and park with my kids and a hybrid seemed ideal and I found a great deal on the DS3.

I just ordered a new stem for it, it has the 110mm and I just felt like I was reaching a bit too much, I'm excited to see how it feels with the shorter one. I'm thinking I'll want/need a new saddle next, I'm just not sure what to get.
I've got the same year and colour Have been using it as a daily commuter so I'm looking at doing the reverse and now researching drop bars (something in the steel gravel category with 650b wide tyres for that suppleness).

I'm 170cm and I do find I'm a stretched on the medium that I have. Let me know how you go with the shorter stem. Also, what bar ends have you got on there as they could make the commute a little more comfortable?

Cheers
Gaz
Old 04-15-20, 10:47 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I'm thinking I'll want/need a new saddle next, I'm just not sure what to get.
You can't go wrong with a Brooks saddle. I run a Flyer Imperial (now called the Flyer Carved) and it's awesome! Most comfortable saddle I've ever owned. I also run a C17 Carved on my spin bike.

I've also changed out the stem on my 2017 DS3 to a shorter one with a steeper angle to bring the bars up and back. I've also installed riser bars, since I have cervical vertebrae issues. All of this makes it a really comfortable ride.
Old 04-15-20, 03:22 PM
rrscott135
Born Again Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snowman,
What did you go to for the new stem?
Thanks,
Scott
Old 04-15-20, 06:01 PM
hls811

Originally Posted by The Snowman
You can't go wrong with a Brooks saddle. I run a Flyer Imperial (now called the Flyer Carved) and it's awesome! Most comfortable saddle I've ever owned. I also run a C17 Carved on my spin bike.

I've also changed out the stem on my 2017 DS3 to a shorter one with a steeper angle to bring the bars up and back. I've also installed riser bars, since I have cervical vertebrae issues. All of this makes it a really comfortable ride.
I'm thinking about giving a Brooks a try.. On all of my previous bikes I've bought some model of Selle Italia with gel and a cutout but I've been reading up on the Brooks saddles and might see how they feel. Whats your opinion on leather vs cambium since you have both? I think the C17 is my most likely option, probably with the cutout.

I just finished putting on the new stem and I'm so surprised how much 1.5" makes! The stock stem was 110mm, I went with a 70mm and just in the quick ride I took it seems like its better. The only downside is that I can't mount my Garmin on the stem anymore (Without shelling out for a special mount) - I had to move it to the handlebars which is fine.
I did run into some play in the headset after I re-assembled everything, but some British guy on YouTube helped me sort that out an its all good now!
Old 04-15-20, 06:49 PM
hls811

Originally Posted by gazz
I've got the same year and colour Have been using it as a daily commuter so I'm looking at doing the reverse and now researching drop bars (something in the steel gravel category with 650b wide tyres for that suppleness).

I'm 170cm and I do find I'm a stretched on the medium that I have. Let me know how you go with the shorter stem. Also, what bar ends have you got on there as they could make the commute a little more comfortable?

Cheers
Gaz
The bar ends aren't anything special, they are the Bontrager Full Bend Bar Ends. I do like them alot, its nice to change you your position sometimes and these have a good feel to them.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
Likes For hls811:
Old 04-16-20, 07:23 AM
The Snowman

I'm thinking about giving a Brooks a try.. On all of my previous bikes I've bought some model of Selle Italia with gel and a cutout but I've been reading up on the Brooks saddles and might see how they feel. Whats your opinion on leather vs cambium since you have both? I think the C17 is my most likely option, probably with the cutout!
The C17 was a better saddle out of the box than the leather saddle was. The C17 has a bit more give out of the box. However once the leather saddle broke in, it's been great. It didn't take long to break in either. Since I have a spring saddle, I wasn't worried about the spring that the actual saddle portion gave. However, if I was to choose between an unsprung leather saddle and a Cambium saddle for outdoor riding, I'd probably opt for the Cambium, just for the extra give that the saddle has.
Old 04-16-20, 12:42 PM
The Snowman

Originally Posted by rrscott135
Snowman,
What did you go to for the new stem?
Thanks,
Scott
Spank Spike Race 50mm riser bars, cut down to 660mm from 800mm
Bontrager Elite Blendr 90mm 25 degree stem

Here's a photo:
Old 04-17-20, 11:58 AM
rrscott135
Born Again Cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Snowman.
Old 04-19-20, 04:46 PM
hls811

Originally Posted by The Snowman
The C17 was a better saddle out of the box than the leather saddle was. The C17 has a bit more give out of the box. However once the leather saddle broke in, it's been great. It didn't take long to break in either. Since I have a spring saddle, I wasn't worried about the spring that the actual saddle portion gave. However, if I was to choose between an unsprung leather saddle and a Cambium saddle for outdoor riding, I'd probably opt for the Cambium, just for the extra give that the saddle has.
Thank you! I've for a C17 on the way, I'm excited to give it a try!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.