Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gizmos and gadgets

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gizmos and gadgets

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 08:51 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gizmos and gadgets

So many accessories, so little room. Sigh.

I got new lights for my bike. The front light is supposed to be 700 lumens, and one time I checked to see if a secondary (much dimmer) light's flashing was visible or not when the new light was on, and not only did it destroy my night vision, I was seeing spots for a very long time. I did this at the end of the ride, I didn't realize the angle of my new light and I was really surprised no oncoming traffic turned on their brights in retribution.

But it seems that if I put the base where it directs light the best, the actual light and the cell phone try to occupy the same place at the same time. However moving the base of the cell phone holder makes the cell phone a little less secure and at a crooked angle. So, too many gadgets, not enough real estate on the handlebars.

Well the really bright front light came with a back light and the more lights the better. My old rear light was supposed to have a rubber piece wrapped around the seat post. The new light is smaller (and brighter) and also is meant to have a rubber piece wrapped around the seat post. However I am vertically challenged and the only way I can get on the seat with any resemblance of style and grace, and more importantly get off without falling, is to have the seat all the way down. I had to turn my reflector upside down to make the top of the reflector sit lower, and the screws holding the seat onto the seat post is resting on the reflector. So both lights are reeeally stretched out to go over a thicker area than the seat post, with the larger light squished under the reflector and wrapped around the actual frame, and the smaller light (about the size of a nickel) partially above/partially on top of the top of the reflector, wrapped around the seat screws holding. So, too many gadgets, not enough real estate on the seat post.

I've already got a tiny bag holding most of my tube replacement stuff strapped to the handlebars and the straps are fighting for real estate with those gadgets. And, vertically challenged, it covers a bit of the front reflector. The only other place it's designed to go is under the seat, and if I put it there it would cover both lights and the reflector and maybe rub against the tire. Too much bag, not enough real estate anywhere.

I'm still trying to figure out how to put a rack on and not cover the rear reflector and lights. I don't have any way of mounting stuff on the frame, but if I did, I'd already have a water bottle and a tire pump. I'd like to get a little bag that sits on the frame that I saw. How many holes does the standard frame come with, if I upgrade? If so, will I run into too many objects, not enough real estate on the frame?

So how does everyone else decide placement of all the gadgets? How do you know when to let a gadget go, and what takes priority over what?
Old 09-20-17, 05:25 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
So many accessories ... how does everyone else decide placement of all the gadgets? How do you know when to let a gadget go, and what takes priority over what?
You're a practical gal, Rachel. You'll have to prioritize. Lights are primary. Everything else is secondary, or can be stashed in a bag for access only when you need it.

As for the rear light mounting with the rack, look for the racks that have the Planet Bike compatible pre-drilled "tee" shaped tab that hangs down at the rear. It's built into the rack. That mounting allows you to mount rear light adapters directly to the rack with no fuss.

Let's face it...for a routine ride like the daily commute, one doesn't need a speedometer, or a phone mount, or gps or music, or anything else on the bars. A forward light is a must, though.

For bike exploring, then it's nice to have some of navigation, although I would never use it. Too much hassle worrying about battery charge, loss of signal, and other space complications. I take a paper map.

For a pre-planned route, just a cue sheet and odometer will do the trick. Back it up with a paper map.
Old 09-20-17, 05:49 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
A couple of suggestions that may or may not work for you. Some manufacturers do a dual handlebar mount for gadgets - one gadget is mounted on the bottom side and the other is mounted on the top side. Also, I tend to carry my mobile phone in a saddle bag as I tend not to actively need it during a ride. I still get notifications pushed from the phone to my Garmin cycle computer.

Anyway, good luck with freeing space on your handlebar!
Old 09-20-17, 06:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
If you have lights then you don't need a reflector.

Take the reflector off and recycle it.

-Tim-
Old 09-20-17, 06:18 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
It can be hard to tell noobs from Freds where it comes to the amount of gadgets strung across the bar, and elsewhere.
Old 09-20-17, 07:09 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get a variety of these, if you're running out of room for gadgets, up front:

https://smile.amazon.com/West-Biking...unting+gadgets
Old 09-20-17, 07:38 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I mount my front and rear lights on my helmet so it lights up what I am looking. My bicycle light goes on my downtube so it lights up straight ahead instead of the beam wavering as I steer. The taillight is mounted at the back of the rack or the end of my bag.

Plus, I have reflector straps on my ankles and left wrist.

I carry my gps and cell phone in my bag and fanny pack. I never was able find a stable handlebar mount for them and they are only a big distraction anyways. If you must, strap your smartphone on your wrist like joggers and people at the gym do.

On my handlebar, I have a bell and two horns. My problem is that my thumb doesn't always reach the horns when I want to.

Last edited by Daniel4; 09-20-17 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 07:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
So how does everyone else decide placement of all the gadgets? How do you know when to let a gadget go, and what takes priority over what?
well if you need lights, then they are obviously a priority. try mounting the front light on the underside of the handlebar so it is below the handlebar instead of perched atop the handlebar. That could give you more room to have stuff on the top side of your handlebar.

as mentioned, get rid of the reflectors. they are redundant...and not good to begin with. Reflectors are beneficial only from basically straight behind and your lights already cover that field of vision.

put your phone on the stem instead of the handlebars if that fits better. or if the light is now on the underside of the bar, then there is more room atop the bar.

many rear lights have a clip that you can then hook onto a wedge bag(a lot of wedge bags have a fabric hook to attach the light). Thats more effective than attaching it to the seat post due to your height.

if you attach a rack, then mount the light to the back of the rack. many racks have a light mount location.

I personally only ride with a rear light thats attached to my wedge bag(or rack if its on one of my other bikes) and my bike computer which records info and provides directions if i want. ill add a front light if i am going to ride at dusk/night. my cell phone stays in my jersey pocket or the wedge bag.
Old 09-20-17, 08:00 AM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
If we could see your bike it may help bring suggestions. I agree with the post about not needing reflectors if you have lights. You could always add reflective tape to any part of your bike, helmet, or clothing if you feel it necessary. If you insist on keeping the phone, perhaps a different kind of mount is needed. Like a quadlock or something to help free up room. Again, this is where pics would help to see what you really got going on. Many bike racks have ways to mount lights, and there's also many lights or adapters that are rack mountable. Or you can even mount a light on the rack bag. Once you get a rack and rack bag, that could serve as your storage and not need the front bag.
I admit to having a lot on my bars, and still wish to clean things up better myself. Having a bell, light, cyclometer, phone mount, GP5 grips, and a mirror can get busy looking. I'm considering a quadlock myself. Along with a double blendr mount for my light and cyclometer. If anything, the phone will go. Though I find it quite convenient having it mounted.

Before I had a rack & bag, I had a mini morph pump mounted like so...

Then the rack with a light on the bag, which has since been mounted on the back of the rack.
Old 09-20-17, 08:07 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
When I run my handlebar bag and need a light, I put my light on my left fork blade. Works perfectly. It is one with the quick on/off gummy strap, and adjustment for the light in the mount in the second axis.

As far as a rack, every rack I have had has had mounting provisions for a reflector. Rear lights hang off the back of my saddlebag, and if enough stuff is piled on the rack that you can't see that, there is inevitably a strap holding something down the rear light can go on.

Cycle computer goes on the stem. Frees up the handlebars for things like handlebar bags, GoPro mount if I want it, light, etc. Easier to push the buttons with a firm mount behind it, too, instead of it rotating around the handlebars. Cellphone goes in bag or pocket.
Old 09-20-17, 08:10 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Front reflectors are not needed either. Neither are reflectors needed on spokes, or pedals. All reflectors should go in the recycle bin.

Get GPS and headlight off the bar and onto a good out-front style mount like a Barfly.

Put your phone in your pocket if you have a computer or GPS on your bike.

-Tim-
Old 09-20-17, 08:19 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
My rear reflector is usually hidden if I have gear on the bike, but I have the bright blinking light which is better than a reflector in all conditions, plus I'm adding reflective striping down the back of the rear rack.

But for the blinker light I have it mounted to the rack. It ends up being the rear most element of the bike (aside from the rear tire) so it's the perfect mounting spot for a light. Just be sure it's weather proof as it'll get wet with every puddle.
Old 09-20-17, 08:27 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Front reflectors are not needed either. Neither are reflectors needed on spokes, or pedals. All reflectors should go in the recycle bin.
Couple weekends ago, a bike was coming down a hill on a sidewalk next to a wall, crossing a street I was driving on. He was blowing a blinking red when I had the right of way. Only way I saw him in enough time to slow enough to not hit him was I caught his very distinctive front wheel reflector coming out from behind the wall.

Front lights don't do much for side visibility.
Old 09-20-17, 01:38 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I wouldn't say get rid of all reflectors, they do actually reflect light. I once noticed a ninja'ed bike w/o lights only by the wheel reflectors reflecting the light from my headlights. Should he have had lights? Definitely. But in the absence of lights I still knew he was there due to his reflectors.

I agree that with a bright headlight a front reflector isn't needed, nor would a rear red reflector be needed with a rear red light. But even with lights on the bike pedal reflectors signify to a car behind you that what they are coming up on is a bike and not a motorcycle further off in the distance.
Old 09-20-17, 01:46 PM
cycloaptrgangr

Bikes: A matte black bike, a matte black/gloss silver bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Couple weekends ago, a bike was coming down a hill on a sidewalk next to a wall, crossing a street I was driving on.
No sympathy for folks expecting to be seen by traffic while riding on the sidewalk, regardless of the time of day.

OP - free yourself from the needless accessories on your bars. "Problem" solved.
Old 09-20-17, 01:47 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
This summer I got some Planet Bike Spok lights and put them on my helmet a front and rear. I have a rear light that mounts to the rear stay. Front light that sits in my bag until needed and it clamps on the handlebar. I keep mount the phone on a stem holder and the only other thing is a bell and that is mounted on the stem.
Old 09-20-17, 02:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Couple weekends ago, a bike was coming down a hill on a sidewalk next to a wall, crossing a street I was driving on. He was blowing a blinking red when I had the right of way. Only way I saw him in enough time to slow enough to not hit him was I caught his very distinctive front wheel reflector coming out from behind the wall.

Front lights don't do much for side visibility.

If he was riding the way he was supposed to then a reflector would not have been needed.

Its really besides the point however. The OP can keep the reflectors on her wheels if she wants but the front and rear reflectors are not needed if she has lights. They can be removed to make room for other stuff.

She has too much stuff. Remove what is not needed. Front and rear reflectors are not needed. That's my whole point.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 09-20-17 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 02:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Neither are reflectors needed on spokes, or pedals. All reflectors should go in the recycle bin. -Tim-
Ummmm https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...lectafuji.html
Old 09-20-17, 03:07 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karmajack
If we could see your bike it may help bring suggestions.
I still haven't figured out how to insert an image, type below it, insert the next, blah blah, so all the pictures will be at the bottom.

The first picture shows the empty mounts for the light and the phone. The phone's is just there until I can figure out where to put it. It was where the strap on the right is, and I had the light mount on the other side of the little light, but the handlebars aren't straight there. They bend back just a tad, so the light was not shining in front, it was shining off to the left. That's why the light had to move to being near center. The other top-down handlebar picture shows the light and a smaller older phone I have. If I were to try to move the mount back to near center, you can see how the light and the phone would not sit side by side. But if I move it to the end close to the gear selector, then the phone would be angled, just like the light was.

The front of the handlebars picture shows how the bag hangs. The instructions said it could be hung that way, or on the back of the seat. There really is a reflector hidden under that bag, which I know is totally useless that way. But the bag feels like it's nearly two pounds (comparing to an exercise weight), and I don't want that back in my backpack. Because of how it hangs, putting the light underneath would be a little difficult. I haven't tried raising the handlebars yet, I'm worried of changing anything that would affect my balance, steering or movement, but I'm willing to try it. Also the straps are a little long, so I could drop the bag an inch or two, but I also don't know how having the bag free to swing will affect steering.

The rear reflector is required by law, so it's not going anywhere. That's how the lights are squished around it. The side view, you can see why everything is so squished together, how little room there is. While I would dump the dim front light if I had need of that particular spot on the handlebars (but the angle makes it currently not useful to me) I want to keep both rear lights. I can change the flashing pattern on the smaller light and I feel safer having them flash at different intervals, as that prevents a pattern from forming. The brain can get used to patterns and block it out, but something flashing randomly is harder to unconsciously block. The squished space is also why I can't put the bag in the back, much as I would love to.

The rack picture and the light and reflector were taken when I was fighting the rack, but the new light clips on just the same as the bigger light. As you can see from all the hardware, in this case Tab A does not fit into Slot B. I have no clue how to get any one of those onto that little metal tab on the back of the rack.

There's two daily reasons for wanting the phone, and a third reason if I ever get off my duff and start recreational cycling. First, speedometer. Second, if I want to get at the phone for some reason, I don't want to have to take off my backpack and dig for it, I just want to pull over and have it easy to reach. Third, GPS.

Perfect world, I want the rear reflector, both the rear lights, my powerful light, my bag and my phone. But the world isn't perfect. I know something has to give.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170920_162158.jpg (99.6 KB, 230 views)
20170920_162423.jpg (94.1 KB, 228 views)
20170920_162459.jpg (96.1 KB, 230 views)
20170920_162515.jpg (97.9 KB, 228 views)
20170920_162758.jpg (95.1 KB, 228 views)
20170731_215859.jpg (95.4 KB, 230 views)
20170731_220210.jpg (70.1 KB, 231 views)
Old 09-20-17, 04:15 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I still haven't figured out how to insert an image, type below it, insert the next, blah blah, so all the pictures will be at the bottom.

The first picture shows the empty mounts for the light and the phone. The phone's is just there until I can figure out where to put it. It was where the strap on the right is, and I had the light mount on the other side of the little light, but the handlebars aren't straight there. They bend back just a tad, so the light was not shining in front, it was shining off to the left. That's why the light had to move to being near center. The other top-down handlebar picture shows the light and a smaller older phone I have. If I were to try to move the mount back to near center, you can see how the light and the phone would not sit side by side. But if I move it to the end close to the gear selector, then the phone would be angled, just like the light was.

The front of the handlebars picture shows how the bag hangs. The instructions said it could be hung that way, or on the back of the seat. There really is a reflector hidden under that bag, which I know is totally useless that way. But the bag feels like it's nearly two pounds (comparing to an exercise weight), and I don't want that back in my backpack. Because of how it hangs, putting the light underneath would be a little difficult. I haven't tried raising the handlebars yet, I'm worried of changing anything that would affect my balance, steering or movement, but I'm willing to try it. Also the straps are a little long, so I could drop the bag an inch or two, but I also don't know how having the bag free to swing will affect steering.

The rear reflector is required by law, so it's not going anywhere. That's how the lights are squished around it. The side view, you can see why everything is so squished together, how little room there is. While I would dump the dim front light if I had need of that particular spot on the handlebars (but the angle makes it currently not useful to me) I want to keep both rear lights. I can change the flashing pattern on the smaller light and I feel safer having them flash at different intervals, as that prevents a pattern from forming. The brain can get used to patterns and block it out, but something flashing randomly is harder to unconsciously block. The squished space is also why I can't put the bag in the back, much as I would love to.

The rack picture and the light and reflector were taken when I was fighting the rack, but the new light clips on just the same as the bigger light. As you can see from all the hardware, in this case Tab A does not fit into Slot B. I have no clue how to get any one of those onto that little metal tab on the back of the rack.

There's two daily reasons for wanting the phone, and a third reason if I ever get off my duff and start recreational cycling. First, speedometer. Second, if I want to get at the phone for some reason, I don't want to have to take off my backpack and dig for it, I just want to pull over and have it easy to reach. Third, GPS.

Perfect world, I want the rear reflector, both the rear lights, my powerful light, my bag and my phone. But the world isn't perfect. I know something has to give.

If your phone mount doesn't swivel, and you must have your phone out front, then buy a new mount and put it on the stem. Or you can put your phone away and buy a cycling computer and put that on the stem or out front onto something like a "Barfly".

Your lights are pretty bulky but if you want to keep the Schwinn ones, then see if the front Schwinn light will fit on the lower portion of your fork. Keep the other light on the bar. Or both on the bar if you move your phone to the stem.

I would ditch the rear reflector or put it on the left seat stay. You can add some rubber shims if it doesn't fit tightly enough. The tiny black rear light will probably fit on the seat stay as well. I don't know...I have no experience with those other two lights so play around with their placements...

Others will probably have better suggestions lol...I only have a cycling computer on my stem and nothing else on the bike so I don't know all the tricks.

There are also these you can buy to gain more handlebar space - https://www.amazon.com/OUTERDO-Handl...andlebar+space
They have different set ups, lengths, and such. You can place them above, in front, or below the bars.

Last edited by Hardrock23; 09-20-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 04:24 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Rachel, I see a some of options for you.

On the back of your rack you have two vertically aligned holes. You could use those to fasten a short length of PVC pipe of a thickness to mimic handle bars or a seat post. You could then mount your lights and reflector on that. You could attach the pvc pipe with a zip tie through the holes and then again in an ex pattern over that for stability (total three zip ties). Or you could drill a hole or holes in the plastic pipe, or if there is enough of a bar at the tail end of your rack, you could mount a pupe under that with zip ties.

In the front you could strap the flasher to the front of the head tube (the vertical part of the frame between the top tube and the down tube that the handle bar stem runs through to the front fork).

Then there's that idea of putting the flashers on your helmet. While I like to have flashers on my bike, I also put them on my helmet. The rear just clips on to the elastic in the back and I use a velcro strap from the light on top.

Based on what you've written so far I think you will find a good solution that works for you.
Attached Images
1108151042a.jpg (38.4 KB, 218 views)
Old 09-20-17, 04:37 PM
gilpi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'm wondering how much mileage you do that you'd need so much stuff? Lights, yes important, one for the front and one for the back, the phone can go in a pouch. For me personally, I prioritize water, phone and a rear light. The phone acts as my tool pouch, if I were to break down, I have someone to call and pick me up (hopefully home when I call) Then again my rides are only around 20 miles or so.

Last edited by gilpi; 09-20-17 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 05:27 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Well, a couple of thoughts here, and one question.
The question being, are you sure the rear reflectors are still mandated by law with the addition of lights? I know they're required to be sold with the bike because recreational riders usually don't add on such things for Saturday morning rides on the MUP/around the neighborhood.
I concur with the others that your phone mount is not the best option. If you're not going to put in your backpack, I would recommend something along this line, which should also provide space for whatever you have in the handlebar bag (which also does not look like the most efficient option).
Lastly, I have a somewhat similar setup as @BobbyG's, though not quite as fancy. I've got a headlamp- which can be picked up fairly cheaply at a big box store, and which also would help with any stops/repairs/etc. that may be needed along your route in the dark- used on camping trips that I fit over the helmet to which I also clip my second rear light (I personally keep this one on steady, with the one attached to the seat wedge blinking).
Old 09-20-17, 06:07 PM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Rachel, I see a some of options for you.

On the back of your rack you have two vertically aligned holes. You could use those to fasten a short length of PVC pipe of a thickness to mimic handle bars or a seat post. You could then mount your lights and reflector on that. You could attach the pvc pipe with a zip tie through the holes and then again in an ex pattern over that for stability (total three zip ties). Or you could drill a hole or holes in the plastic pipe, or if there is enough of a bar at the tail end of your rack, you could mount a pupe under that with zip ties.
Or you could just buy a reflector that is designed to mount in the hole on the rack for less than $5.

https://www.amazon.com/Reflector-bic...rear+reflector

Or a taillight and bracket for rack for around $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-TL-L2...unlite+TL-L225

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-TL-L2...t+rack+bracket
Old 09-20-17, 07:28 PM
Karmajack

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3, 2021 Felt Broam 30

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Can the phone mount be secured closer to your grip on the flat spot there?
I'd loose the dim light.
Zip ties my solve the problem of mounting the rear light on the rack.
Your seat post, while crowded and messy looking, appear to look secure and filling your needs. I'd double check the laws about the rear reflector if you have rear lights.
Many suggestions will and do involve replacing or adding something. Weigh your options well, and keep future bike in mind. As well as possibilities of other upgrades or adding a cycling computer.
Don't buy cheapo stuff from Walmart without comparing stuff from LBS or online.
A Quadlock phone mount can be mounted on your stem. Though keep in mind you may want that space for a cycling computer/speedometer/odometer. Even so, you can get an out front mount for the computer as long as your phone isn't too long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.