Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

New Cardiac Ablation and Replacement ICD

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 02-15-19, 09:58 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts

Looks like I am off the bike another three weeks. I developed Atrial flutter 3 weeks ago and my heart wouldn't go over 105 BPM. Hills above 6% were impossible as my legs would ache and I was short on breath. My Cardiologist/ Electrophysiologist just ablated my left Atrium to stop the flutter and replaced my ICD which was on recall. The heart is good now but I am not allowed to use it. So in three weeks I can start getting my fitness back. This is getting old as I had surgery in June to cut 25cm from my colon and in Oct. they put me back together. Then I had a Greenlight procedure. Sometimes it seems there are too many "comebacks" to fitness. But at 76 I will get back to power intervals and group rides with the 50 and 60 year old guys. I guess if you are a cyclist you can't quit.
Old 02-16-19, 11:08 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon
Looks like I am off the bike another three weeks. I developed Atrial flutter 3 weeks ago and my heart wouldn't go over 105 BPM. Hills above 6% were impossible as my legs would ache and I was short on breath. My Cardiologist/ Electrophysiologist just ablated my left Atrium to stop the flutter and replaced my ICD which was on recall. The heart is good now but I am not allowed to use it. So in three weeks I can start getting my fitness back. This is getting old as I had surgery in June to cut 25cm from my colon and in Oct. they put me back together. Then I had a Greenlight procedure. Sometimes it seems there are too many "comebacks" to fitness. But at 76 I will get back to power intervals and group rides with the 50 and 60 year old guys. I guess if you are a cyclist you can't quit.
Don’t despair. 78: had two ablations, then pacemaker for very low resting HR with pauses, Prostate cancer treated with radiation and seeds, lifelong asthmatic and still riding with the mid-60 year olds, tandem and solo. You’re right you can’t quit😊
Old 02-16-19, 11:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yikes. Sounds like a lot of challenges in a short time. Best wishes for a full recovery.

My daughter had a cardiac ablation in her 30s. The procedure was pretty straightforward but she also developed a pleural effusion and inflammation, which delayed recovery a few weeks. No further complications as far as I know.
Old 02-17-19, 09:20 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon
All the young guys have to fight are hills and headwinds...getting old is tough!

If you're gonna fight aging kicking and screaming, you may as well stick a bike between your legs.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and happy cycling (as soon as you are able).