Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 12:12 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I did one sprint triathlon. It's good to read the stories of others. I was training here in Merida, in an outdoor pool in water approaching 100*F. The triathlon was in Lake Moomaw, on the Virginia/West Virginia border. Water temperature 76*. The side stroke saved me, and propelled me through a very slow start to my first and only triathlon.

Old 07-02-19, 01:58 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Very true. In fact, it really can be a lot like this in some races, or at least it used to be.
An oldie and a goodie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk
A friend who recently did a full tri said the swim portion was pretty much like that, but nastier -- like getting slapped around by huge slippery fish. He said the whole swim portion was enough to make him want to quit. Not because of the difficulty of swimming in open water, but the whole grotesque salmon schooling upstream thing.

As a kid I grew up around open water beaches, so I was accustomed to coping with strong currents and riptides. But I still wouldn't do a tri just because of the swim thing. I'd rather be eaten by a shark than drowned by slippery desperate fellow humans.

The run and bike portions are fine. Substitute anything for swimming and I'll give a tri a try. Make it a bike, run and stripper dance in public event... a nude bake-off... farting contest... anything but swimming with other people.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-02-19, 02:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by seypat
Product color alert. Just arrived.

This is the Sterling Silver color. Shiny and sweet! Going on the Turbo.

Pro tip for those that use barcons. If you are going to run your cables under the tape, order a tandem shifter cable for the RD. Sometimes the standard length is not enough.

I'm gonna pony up for some decent brake cable like that. I cheaped out a few months ago and bought a bulk coil of "Sunlite" brake cable housing for something like $5 or $10. Got my money's worth, I suppose. The stuff keeps compressing and taking a set, so every few rides I have to reset the cable to take up the slack. I keep thinking it'll eventually compress as much as it'll go, but nope. I'll save the stuff for emergencies, like a neighbor who needs work on his BSO that he rides once a year.
Old 07-02-19, 02:35 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
A friend who recently did a full tri said the swim portion was pretty much like that, but nastier -- like getting slapped around by huge slippery fish. He said the whole swim portion was enough to make him want to quit. Not because of the difficulty of swimming in open water, but the whole grotesque salmon schooling upstream thing.

As a kid I grew up around open water beaches, so I was accustomed to coping with strong currents and riptides. But I still wouldn't do a tri just because of the swim thing. I'd rather be eaten by a shark than drowned by slippery desperate fellow humans.

The run and bike portions are fine. Substitute anything for swimming and I'll give a tri a try. Make it a bike, run and stripper dance in public event... a nude bake-off... farting contest... anything but swimming with other people.
To me, the duathlons are tougher anyway. No need for the stronger, more muscular swimmer. Just a bunch of skinnies that can bike and run really fast. My first multi sport event was an Oly duo. Run 2 miles, 26ish mile bike followed by a 10k run. I was 5'8" 190ish at the time. I looked more like a running back than a distance runner. I sauntered up to the starting line and most of the males were 5'6ish to 6'3ish. All of them looked like stringbeans in the 130-150 range. The first run was 2 loops of a big rectangle course. The starting gun goes off and 4 groups quickly form. 2 leaders fighting for the lead running at a pace around 6 minutes per. A group was running at a 7:30 clip. There was another group between those 2. The 4th group was me, myself and I running at an 8:27 clip. If it had been 3 laps the leaders would have lapped me. When I got to the first transition, the rest of the duo racers were gone. I did chase some down on the bike.
Old 07-02-19, 02:43 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm gonna pony up for some decent brake cable like that. I cheaped out a few months ago and bought a bulk coil of "Sunlite" brake cable housing for something like $5 or $10. Got my money's worth, I suppose. The stuff keeps compressing and taking a set, so every few rides I have to reset the cable to take up the slack. I keep thinking it'll eventually compress as much as it'll go, but nope. I'll save the stuff for emergencies, like a neighbor who needs work on his BSO that he rides once a year.
I've had good luck with this brand sold by my local LBS. They only stock black, though.
Old 07-02-19, 03:08 PM
seypat

So some of you might be thinking that duo was a bad experience for me. Not really, because I was riding the Ironman. You can be the judge of who the real winner was. We get my wife's bike off the hitch, pump up the tires and she heads for the transition area to set up. I get the IM off, pump up the tires and head there myself. As I come through the gate, an attractive 40-ish lady comes walking up.
"Nice bike. Those are some of the biggest and most muscular legs I have ever seen. Do they help you go really fast?"
"No a set of chicken legs would be better. They do provide me with a lot of driving power......if you know what I mean."
"I most certainly do. Driving power is good. Maybe we can talk about it some more after the race."
"That sounds like a great offer, but my wife would not be happy. That's her over there."(I wave at my wife)
"I understand. I'll still be around in case you change your mind."

I get to the bike rack and the wife says, "What was that about?"
"She liked the bike and my legs. Wanted to get together after the race."
"Understable, go get your number marked."
Old 07-02-19, 03:21 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Agreed , duathlons are tougher than triathlons. But mostly due to the disproportion. The Swim portion by a lot is shorter. The run and bike portions end up about even.
I've been in combat contact sports since 1977. So getting kicked by a swimmers kick isnt bad at all. That's the least of my worries in an open water swim. I'm more concerned (like C-Cat) of someone floundering and deciding I'm gonna be there lifesaver.
Even though I started "real" swimming, biking, and running at the same time, swimming is still my weakest event. Still, I'd rather triathlon than duathlon. When I come out of the water I can't wait to get on the bike and pass as many triathletes as I can. In a duathlon (run bike run) I'm like, " Dang it, I still have to bike".
Old 07-02-19, 03:31 PM
seypat

So I head to the number line and wait. There is another attractive lady doing the marking. When it comes my turn, the lady says,

"You have plenty of room for the numbers on your biceps, unlike some of these other guys."
She then squats down to write on my thighs and says, "Wow, you have some great legs. Can I linger and touch them for a few seconds?"
"If it makes you happy, go for it."

Now at that moment, it doesn't matter how well I do in the race. The men standing around me know, and I know. Even if they win or podium, I am the Boss that day.

I head back to my bike and the wife is laughing.
"Let me guess, she liked your legs."
What can I say?"
"That's my man!"

If I hadn't been pushing the IM to start with would it have happened? Who knows. It certainly didn't hurt.
Old 07-02-19, 03:34 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Agreed , duathlons are tougher than triathlons. But mostly due to the disproportion. The Swim portion by a lot is shorter. The run and bike portions end up about even.
I've been in combat contact sports since 1977. So getting kicked by a swimmers kick isnt bad at all. That's the least of my worries in an open water swim. I'm more concerned (like C-Cat) of someone floundering and deciding I'm gonna be there lifesaver.
Even though I started "real" swimming, biking, and running at the same time, swimming is still my weakest event. Still, I'd rather triathlon than duathlon. When I come out of the water I can't wait to get on the bike and pass as many triathletes as I can. In a duathlon (run bike run) I'm like, " Dang it, I still have to bike".
Swimming is the truth for me when judging aerobic capacity. It really shows my lack of ability.
Old 07-02-19, 03:49 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

How odd. I didn't take a second glance at your legs. Next time.

Old 07-02-19, 04:28 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
How odd. I didn't take a second glance at your legs. Next time.
Was @seypat riding a Ironman when you didn't notice..
Old 07-02-19, 04:33 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by fleslider
Was @seypat riding a Ironman when you didn't notice..
No. But he had my new frame set in his van. Not the same thing, I realize.

Old 07-02-19, 08:58 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
My guess was the Ironman Allure..

Old 07-02-19, 09:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I've never looked like a runner, much less a cyclist. Good enough to fool the TV guy at the Elizabeth River Run (10K) in VA: "the guy without the shirt; he won't be around at the end." He ate those words about 30:36 on the time clock, and offered me the videotape. Great guy.

I often heard other runners talking when I decided to line up in front, complaining that "they should let the real runners on the front, posers behind." Until that 1:04 first quarter became a 2:20 half and the 1st mile split right at 5:00 meant they were in trouble, because I generally ran negative splits in every 5K, and nearly so in every 10K.

My Team Tiger and Team Asics teammates would make it worse. I'd line up and they'd all start saying "who let the wrestler up front?" and "he's too thick to be a runner." I'd turn around and point to their shoes, ask with a straight face "Are those Gel Lites?" (which was akin to a cyclist asking "is that carbon?"). They'd crack up.

The run/bike events are tough, especially when you do a run leg before a bike leg. I hate swimming. Hated it when I did triathlons, hated it when I trained, hated it hated it hated it. Then again, I like passing people on the bike, and being nearly last out of the water affords that opportunity.

If I could go back and do it again, which I can't, I'd have cycled right through running and kept it up. Back then, I considered it silly and would only do it to recover from the rare running injury. Which it didn't seem to help.

Never had any @seypat moments. Only thing close was in an elevator in a team(s) hotel before a big 10K, and two of the faster female runners were in it. One looked at me and asked the other one "should we share him?" Only about 34 years ago and I still remember their names, what they were wearing, and who they ran for. Nope, didn't make an impression on me... ha! Sort of a Walter Mitty moment, I'm sure.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-02-19 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-02-19, 10:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by seypat
I've had good luck with this brand sold by my local LBS. They only stock black, though.
Reminds me, I do have a coil of that XLC brake cable housing. Got it from REI a couple of weeks ago and forgot about it. The 20 or 30 foot coil was only $8.
Old 07-02-19, 11:38 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Mo Sexy

Originally Posted by fleslider
My guess was the Ironman Allure..

Running and riding

TdF is sexy too

...every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 07-03-19, 09:49 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Built for Speed? I concur, it would be very quick.
How can we get a copy of this poster? I know if I had it hanging in front of my trainer I could do a extra 50 watts
Old 07-05-19, 05:49 PM
texaspandj

I'm lacking patience in my search for wheels for my 8 speed '88 Carbon Ironman. I'm currently using my '89 wheels.
I found some wheels I like but they're not exactly the modern type that I've been looking for. In fact they are uniglide hubs, however I really like them. I'm aware of the challenges mating a HG cassette on a UG hub but just not sure if it's worth it. I have a couple of UG cassettes that I could use the screw on cog But reportedly, Dura Ace uses a different threading. Maybe I should continue my search, but man I really dig this set up, hubs, rims, all of it. What y'all think?
Old 07-05-19, 07:14 PM
seypat

I'm lacking patience in my search for wheels for my 8 speed '88 Carbon Ironman. I'm currently using my '89 wheels.
I found some wheels I like but they're not exactly the modern type that I've been looking for. In fact they are uniglide hubs, however I really like them. I'm aware of the challenges mating a HG cassette on a UG hub but just not sure if it's worth it. I have a couple of UG cassettes that I could use the screw on cog But reportedly, Dura Ace uses a different threading. Maybe I should continue my search, but man I really dig this set up, hubs, rims, all of it. What y'all think?
Can you find some hubs you like then build your own wheels? It's not that hard.
Old 07-05-19, 07:15 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 175 Posts

Looks good to me tex , but on the other hand I think freewheels are cool , maybe I'm not the best guy to ask . I'll keep a eye on the 85' out in TO , maybe he will drop the price .
The ad was a hoot though .
Old 07-05-19, 07:41 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
6-7 speed cassettes are what you have? Awesome to use them on some awesome wheels. AND, you have Dura Ace shifters for said cassettes? Then do it. However, if the wheels were the first piece of the puzzle, forget it. Uniglide is neat in that the big cogs are reversible.
Old 07-05-19, 08:17 PM
texaspandj

To be clear, I want to put my 8 speed HG dura ace cassette on there. The wheels are pricey and at the top of my limit for wheels...but I like those wheels.
Old 07-06-19, 03:41 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
That looks like the HG/UG freehub. It should accept either HG cassettes with a lock ring or UG cassettes using the outer ring as a lock ring. It should work.

Check with Doc (rccardr) to make sure.

Looks like you can slide any 8-sp cassette on there. It's got the small spline. You just need a lock ring. Is the issue with your 8-sp DA spacing?

I happen to have a complete, near mint, 8sp tricolor group here, and the rear 6403 is HG, so I can use 8/9/10 and my new favorite, the 11-on-10 CS8000 11sp cassette. The group came with both 8sp DT and 8sp STI shifters. Seriously thinking of putting it back on the Carbon-R, which would make it OEM.
Old 07-06-19, 05:58 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
If there are no internal threads on the end of the freehub, that's a very rare 8-9-10 speed UG 7402. Not many of them were made, and they will only accept a lock ring down to 13 teeth, because they have the same external thread diameter as other UG freehubs (the earlier 7401 and 7400 freehubs had a smaller lock ring thread diameter and coild take a 12 tooth). But check to see if there are internal threads on the end AND one smaller spline that will accept HG cogs.

Easiest way to put HG cogs on a UG freehub is to enlarge the one small notch on an HG cog with a file or Dremel, use the correct size spacers on the cassette, and then hold it down with a UG lock ring. Works fine.

Some of us use UG cogs and think they work just fine, but the switch takes maybe ten minutes. On the other hand, if you're convinced that HG is the way to go for you, then hold out for a set of HG wheels or hubs. Plenty of them out there, and I'm of the opinion that pretty much all of the Shimano 8-9-10 speed freehubs are equally excellent, from Tiagra and 105 thru Ultegra to DA.
Old 07-06-19, 08:27 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by rccardr
If there are no internal threads on the end of the freehub, that's a very rare 8-9-10 speed UG 7402. Not many of them were made, and they will only accept a lock ring down to 13 teeth, because they have the same external thread diameter as other UG freehubs (the earlier 7401 and 7400 freehubs had a smaller lock ring thread diameter and coild take a 12 tooth). But check to see if there are internal threads on the end AND one smaller spline that will accept HG cogs.

Easiest way to put HG cogs on a UG freehub is to enlarge the one small notch on an HG cog with a file or Dremel, use the correct size spacers on the cassette, and then hold it down with a UG lock ring. Works fine.

Some of us use UG cogs and think they work just fine, but the switch takes maybe ten minutes. On the other hand, if you're convinced that HG is the way to go for you, then hold out for a set of HG wheels or hubs. Plenty of them out there, and I'm of the opinion that pretty much all of the Shimano 8-9-10 speed freehubs are equally excellent, from Tiagra and 105 thru Ultegra to DA.
+1 on all of them being good. As you up the ladder, about the only noticeable difference is more shine and bling factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.