Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Fair value for ‘58 Rudge Sports

Old 07-13-19, 11:44 AM
meganhyde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fair value for ‘58 Rudge Sports

Hello, All! This is my first time on your site and you have some interesting discussion pages. Thanks for letting me in!

My DBF has a 1958 Rudge Sports men’s bike with both coaster and hand brakes. It has Sturmey Archer three speed gears and I think brakes are Sturmey Archer, too. Seems to be all original parts, but for the seat.

We bought a lot of older bikes and didn’t realize the Rudge had coaster brakes. It was not a happy surprise for DBF so we are hoping to sell it. But prices seem to be all over the lot and we wondered, what is a fair price? Because I am new, I can’t post photos, my regrets for that. But is there anything else you’d like to know?

Many thanks!
Megan
Old 07-13-19, 01:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
...prices for something like this are all over the lot because they vary with mechanical and cosmetic condition. So if you bought it, and have done little or nothing to it in terms of repairs, consider yourself fortunate if you get back what you paid.

It's very hard to value a bicycle over the internet. Even with good photos of the cosmetics, there can still be many mechanical issues that will affect value. Sorry...that's just how it is.
Old 07-13-19, 01:52 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Without knowing where you are located and without knowing more about the bike (ie - pictures are required here and there, if you attempt to sell it on-line). So, where do you live and let's see some pictures. You can get ten posts to your name by saying hello to new members or you can send me a picture of the full drive side of the bike. That will help you get going. By the way, use my MY "TEN SPEEDS" email as it will make it easier for you to contact me via email.

Hope this is a bit helpful and welcome to the Bike Forums.