Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Garage Work-Light Questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-08, 11:24 AM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am interested in a work light for the garage now that I have been doing more repairs myself.
I looked at some Craftsman, but some of the pedestals got terrible reviews for plastic parts and pins that broke easily.
Thinking about going to Lowe's or Home Depot for a Halogen light. They have several for under $20. I don't need anything super fancy, and was prepared to spend a hundred bucks, but looking around have found plenty of lighting for under $50.
Wondering whether I need 250, 500, or 1000 watts. Kidding, I think 1000 would be overkill, but I live in Florida, and the garage has no A/C, just cooled with 2 fans. I don't want a dang sun-lamp over my shoulder.
Is Halogen too hot, and should I be looking at flourescent?
Is 250 watts plenty of juice for basic bicycle work?
I want to mount on the ceiling, which is finished with basic drywall/plaster. Should I just get a single light with a pedestal, or use a floor model tilted up?
So, recommendations on lights?
What do you use?
Thanks.

Slackerprince
Old 07-27-08, 11:31 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I use a flourscent fixture that uses the 4' long tubes. I just hung it from the ceiling with chains.
Old 07-27-08, 11:46 AM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I hate point source lighting. I can't stand the glare. I've got a number of twin-tube 4' fluorescent lghts hanging from the garage ceiling. Try and put one directly over where you work on the bike. If you've got a bench, get another over it. You want the sort with an electronic ballast (less/no flickering, no chance of it ever humming or buzzing, more efficient, works in the cold (not a problem in tampa, I guess...)) that will drive t8 bulbs (the thinner, one inch thick ones. They use less power for the same amount of light.). My local big box hardware places have them from $15 to 30 a pop, depending on how ugly you're willing to get, and how it's turned on and off. For the times that I really have to have a point light, I use an old fashioned trouble light, with a modern CFL bulb (doesn't break as easily as light bulb filament.)
Old 07-27-08, 12:04 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You can get 4' flourescent lights from Lowe's for like $9. Get two of them and place them on opposite sides of your workspace and everything will be evenly lit with no shadows. Hang them from the ceiling or mount them on the wall about 2-3' from the top.
Old 07-27-08, 12:50 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
You can get 4' flourescent lights from Lowe's for like $9. Get two of them and place them on opposite sides of your workspace and everything will be evenly lit with no shadows. Hang them from the ceiling or mount them on the wall about 2-3' from the top.
Same here. The ceiling of my garage was drywalled, so I put on a coat of white paint before I put up a couple fixtures I got for about $5 each at the local house-parts-recycling place. I did a little wiring and voilà!- as light as day during the long winter nights.

Jeff

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-27-08, 01:18 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Flourescent lighting fixtures (single/double shop lites, 4 or 8 footers) hung from or mounted on the celing are best. Halogen work lights are too harsh and very spotty. I don't like them for bike work.
Old 07-27-08, 01:33 PM
kenhill3
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dscheidt
I hate point source lighting. I can't stand the glare. I've got a number of twin-tube 4' fluorescent lghts hanging from the garage ceiling. Try and put one directly over where you work on the bike. If you've got a bench, get another over it. You want the sort with an electronic ballast (less/no flickering, no chance of it ever humming or buzzing, more efficient, works in the cold (not a problem in tampa, I guess...)) that will drive t8 bulbs (the thinner, one inch thick ones. They use less power for the same amount of light.). My local big box hardware places have them from $15 to 30 a pop, depending on how ugly you're willing to get, and how it's turned on and off. For the times that I really have to have a point light, I use an old fashioned trouble light, with a modern CFL bulb (doesn't break as easily as light bulb filament.)

+1. The electronic ballasts with T-8 fluorescents are the way to go. These do flicker, but you won't notice because they're at like 20,000 cycles as opposed to 60 with the old standard T-12 (1.5" dia.) bulbs.
Old 07-27-08, 01:43 PM
wmodavis
Bill

Bikes: Specialized Globe Sport, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for the long tube florescents ( I use 8' tubes) as they will reduce shadows, are not that expensive, relatively energy efficient, produce less heat for the amount of light (i.e. more efficient - or did I already say that?), and therefore easier on your eyes and pocketbook.
Bill
Old 07-27-08, 01:48 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,202 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
Flourescent lighting fixtures (single/double shop lites, 4 or 8 footers) hung from or mounted on the celing are best. Halogen work lights are too harsh and very spotty. I don't like them for bike work.
Not to mention that the halogen lamps are very hot. Great for winter...not so good for summer.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 07-28-08 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-27-08, 01:49 PM
doco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
skip the halogens..I am using them for my ebay picture lighting

the heat they put off is amazing, my room temps goe up drastically
Old 07-27-08, 01:51 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
Same here. I have two 2' fluorescent double tube fixtures hung from chains from my garage ceiling and they give plenty of even, non-glare light. If your garage is big or has a high ceiling, perhaps 4' double tube units would be better.

I agree that halogens are too hot and too much like spotlights to be of much use. Also fluorescents consume much less power. A 2' tube is only 20 watts and a 4' is 40 watts so you will probably need only 80 to 160 total watts which is way under what the halogens would consume. Finally, double fluorescents units are much cheaper to buy than halogen lights too.

A good flashlight (I like the 1W or 3W LED-type) is a handy supplement for looking into tight places and the interior of tubes, etc. but the overhead lights will be plenty for almost everything you do.
Old 07-27-08, 02:02 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
+1 Fluorescents. Then get a trouble light on a reel, mount that on the ceiling somewhere from a hook. That is good for close work/inspections, etc.

+1 small LED flashlight for looking down seat tubes, etc. Can be had from Big Lots or similar for $5 or less.
Old 07-27-08, 04:19 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flourescent it is.
Thanks!

S.
Old 07-27-08, 04:43 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I have 14 4 foot fluorescent tubes in my two car garage and it's still not enough. The walls and ceiling are not finished. I'm sure that white-painted drywall would make a big difference. My old shop was larger, but finished and painted white and four 8 foot tubes was pleanty.
Old 07-27-08, 05:47 PM
J T CUNNINGHAM

Bikes: '86 AMBROSI / C RECORD. PINARELLO MONTELLO / FRAME, FORK.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What you need in Florida is 4 foot Daylight Deluxe colour tubes.

They will give you a "cooler", appearing light than any of the other temperatures,

eg Warm White, Cool White, etc.

Also, when they start to burn out, trying to carry 4 foot tubes is much easier that 8 foot.

Regards,
J T
Old 07-27-08, 05:55 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by J T CUNNINGHAM

Also, when they start to burn out, trying to carry 4 foot tubes is much easier that 8 foot.
That can be a problem if you don't have an Es U Vee....
Old 07-27-08, 05:58 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
I have 14 4 foot fluorescent tubes in my two car garage and it's still not enough. The walls and ceiling are not finished. I'm sure that white-painted drywall would make a big difference. My old shop was larger, but finished and painted white and four 8 foot tubes was pleanty.
I think in your case, you need a light like this:

Old 07-27-08, 11:57 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're a Madman!
Keep up the good work.

S.
Old 07-28-08, 12:49 AM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
When you buy your flourescent fixtures don't be afraid to pay a little more for the middle priced versions intended for workshop use. I bought some of the real cheapies for the basement and they just do not put out the amount of light I thought they should. However when I bought one for over the bench I paid around $25 and got a fixture that really made the two 4 foot tubes light up the world. I'm now a believer that flourescent fixtures to some extent are a "you get what you pay for" sort of deal.

You'll also likely find that you want more than you think you'll need. For an average one car garage I'd suggest five 4 foot units. One over the bench at the end of the garage and the other 4 spaced about 1/4 way in from the walls on either side and spaced evenly lengthwise. Adjust that to suit what you have and want to light up.
Old 07-28-08, 03:18 AM
jsmithepa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slackerprince
Iwas prepared to spend a hundred bucks
Totally unecessary overkill. HALOGEN!?!! Am glad common sense prevailed and/or everyone talked u into Fluorescent.

If u have money to thrown, spend it on good stand, a wheel trueing stand, or some fancy lightings/background so u can take pictures like 55/Rad.
Old 07-28-08, 03:27 AM
wlhutch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently finished my garage/shop. These are the before and after pics of lighting. The T8 fixtures made a world of difference.
Old 07-28-08, 06:43 AM
jens5

Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
I use a flourscent fixture that uses the 4' long tubes. I just hung it from the ceiling with chains.
Same here
Old 07-29-08, 12:52 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wmodavis
+1 for the long tube florescents ( I use 8' tubes) as they will reduce shadows, are not that expensive, relatively energy efficient, produce less heat for the amount of light (i.e. more efficient - or did I already say that?), and therefore easier on your eyes and pocketbook.
Bill
Agreed. I use the 8' 2-tube ones from HD that have a reflector - important since the shop ceiling is unfinished - hung with chains.

HD also sells clear plastic protector tubes that slip over the light tube. I've whacked the tubes pretty hard (mostly with 2x4s) and have yet to break one.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-29-08, 04:06 PM
Mentor58
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember those pics Danno posted from a thread before on bicycle lights. IIRC it's a surplus spotlight from an Army tank. Would probably be good for stripping paint, getting a quick spot tan, cooking a thanksgiving turkey.

M58
Old 07-29-08, 06:52 PM
lectraplayer

Bikes: Kent Gran Concor 10 speed, Western Flyer 10 speed, JC Higgins (Sears) cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want one of those! Where can I get one?

I like a Halogen standlight (I'll go down to 150 watts) for occasional work, but much prefer fluorescent or metal halide (for those big spaces, or a Wobble-light should I need that). Putting plenty of fluorescents everywhere is your best bet--you won't believe how bright 500 watts worth of 4' strip-lights are, especially those electronic T8's!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.