Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Performer JC-70 Trike

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Performer JC-70 Trike

Old 04-30-19, 04:10 PM
funbun
Doomsled

Bikes: Performer JC-70

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Performer JC-70 Trike

I bought a trike a few weeks ago. Performer JC-70. Want to do some out and back type touring mostly exploring my local area. These are some initial thoughts. I think the trike will serve my needs, but it ain't no world touring trike or anything.

Have any of you ridden this trike, the JC-70 or the JC-20?
Old 05-01-19, 04:45 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I'm surprised nobody had responded. I thought the Performer trikes were pretty popular. Maybe they're more popular among the lurkers/non-posters.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-01-19, 04:46 PM
funbun
Doomsled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been wondering that myself.
Old 05-02-19, 09:52 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Well ... just saying, posts that open with an implied challenge, whether intended or not, don't get many replies. That said, Performer trikes are unique in the marketplace. The riders that might love them do not always have the skills to assemble them properly and when they are bought from a dealer their excellent pricing compared to the competition largely goes away. There are obviously better trikes than a JC70 for the kind of riding the o.p. wants to do. What do they want someone else to say about that? Do they want corroboration with their POV or an argument? They have to say a little more to make someone besides some mouth breather in need of a life (yours truly) to take time out of their busy day to also share with the world that they bought the wrong trike because they were trying to save a few bucks vs something better suited to the task.
Old 05-02-19, 07:44 PM
funbun
Doomsled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Well ... just saying, posts that open with an implied challenge, whether intended or not, don't get many replies. That said, Performer trikes are unique in the marketplace. The riders that might love them do not always have the skills to assemble them properly and when they are bought from a dealer their excellent pricing compared to the competition largely goes away. There are obviously better trikes than a JC70 for the kind of riding the o.p. wants to do. What do they want someone else to say about that? Do they want corroboration with their POV or an argument? They have to say a little more to make someone besides some mouth breather in need of a life (yours truly) to take time out of their busy day to also share with the world that they bought the wrong trike because they were trying to save a few bucks vs something better suited to the task.
No, sir, you inferred an argument. I implied nothing.

So, okay, your comment was a big help. Time out of your busy schedule? I took time out of my production schedule just to make this video, lol. Man o man!

I was neither looking for corroboration nor an argument. I was looking for a conversation. And I wanted to inform Performer Trike owners about the new steering knuckles. Guess I'll go back to the BentRiders forums. At least they'll talk without inferring an argument. My goodness, man!

Honestly I like the trike and plan to ride it until it won't ride anymore. Which is what I said in the video.

If I followed your advice I wouldn't have a YouTube channel nor a way to make a living. According to what you say if I applied that to my cameras I would have to wait until by some miracle I could buy $10k Canon C300 cinema camera, but the GH4 photo camera with substantial video capability is doing the job for now.

Some of use aren't in a position to get something better suited to the task. If I had followed that advice I wouldn't even have a boat for my fishing channel. I use a go kart engine bolted to a long shaft to power my boat. If I had taken your advice I should wait until I could buy something better suited to the task, like a $45,000 bass boat or something.

I bought the trike based on the budget I had, and a big part of my YouTube channel is showing people how to accomplish great things even though they don't have something better suited for job, nor have the means to get something better suited to the job.

So, thanks and have a nice rest of 2019.

P.S., Does anyone have anything good to add to the conversation like how yo have used your JC-70, gotten the most out of it? How have you used it? What did the trike do for you that you did not expect? how has it Performed over and above what you expected.

I'm not interested in an argument or corroboration. I'm interested in having a conversation. If the forum has gotten to a point where you can't even carry on a conversation because people infer arguments, then this forum is dead, and I'm out.

I have plenty of people over on the BentRider's forum giving tons of advice on how to get the most out of their JC-X0 trikes. I expected the same here, but NO!

And you simply skipped over the fact that the JC-70 has brand new Gen III steering knuckles. Would that be of any interest to anyone on this forum? The whole video was about the new steering knuckles! You obviously didn't watch the video. Either that or you were so wrapped up into your own inferences that you missed the point of the whole video. You gotta get that sophistry in check, man.

Thanks! Hope 2019 goes well for you because it sounds like you need to go for a bike ride.

Last edited by funbun; 05-02-19 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-02-19, 10:38 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
@funbun, you are correct about one thing: when I posted earlier I had not seen the video. I did not understand that it was your review of the trike. I though it was someone else's video that you linked to. I am on Bentrider too. You've never seen my posts there? Fair enough, I suppose because I've never seen any of yours. Unless you use a different username over there. Just take a quick scan of some of the threads on page 1 of the thread headings. Note the number of responses to each. Most have a few to several. A few have dozens. A few. Quite a few have 0 responses. Recumbents are only a tiny subset of the greater Bike Forums world. Bentrider is all about the bent experience, of course you get more action over there with a trike topic.

I own two Performer recumbents, a highracer and a tandem. So, no, I was not in anyway looking down on your choice. I don't know, I'm pretty sure that if I wanted to get a nice conversation going about a review I'd made I would have written a little more about it. That first post said almost nothing. You left it wide open for (mis)interpretation. You have plenty of words in you when you get your back up. Why not spend a few more up front making sure you are understood? Anyway, I don't want to fight with you. It isn't anything I usually feel is anyone's business but it just so happens that my DNA comes from Senegal by way of Jamaica, WI. So that makes us brothers. Brothers that disagree at the moment, but that doesn't have to remain a permanent situation.

I don't understand why, but I actually don't think that Performer bikes and trikes are really all that popular. Oh they sell a few every now and then, but its the DF bikes that Performer makes for mainstream American brands that keep the lights on over there. I don't know how you got yours but I got my bikes drop shipped directly from Taiwan. I had to assemble them myself. If a dealer had done it it would have added $500 or more to the cost of each. I think Terra Trike sells a lot more Ramblers than Performer sells JC 70's. People mainly buy way beneath the Performer price point or way above. Ice also sells plenty of VTX's at close to $5000.
Old 05-05-19, 09:08 PM
curbowman

Bikes: Imremo (cheap taiwanese mtb) and vintage Jupiter King (Japanese '70s road bike)

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You might like to see these videos: a tour of the Performer Factory, in English, made by Matt Galat. Matt is touring the world on his HP Velotechnik Scorpion fs, so he is used to ride a very fine machine.
Old 05-05-19, 09:21 PM
funbun
Doomsled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I've seen his Performer trike factory visit videos. It was a contributing factor in helping me decided on a PErformer Trike.
Old 05-22-19, 09:26 PM
XPat9

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Performer front derailleur replacement

Yes, Matt Galat is the reason I recently bought a Performer trike, too. I bought the F trike, but ran into several problems. The last of which was a defective front derailleur. We requested a new front derailleur from Performer Cycles and offered to pay for it, but they refused. Why? Doesn't seem like the company image represented in Matt's video.
I'm here asking for advice about compatibility. Can anyone offer any advice about which front derailleurs are compatible with a Performer trike? I live in China. I asked the Chinese dealer. He doesn't know and the company won't answer my repeated requests.
Thanks a lot in advance for any expert advice...
Specs:
Shifter Microshift bar end shifter 10S
Front Derailleur Microshift R439
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra 4703
Crankset Shimano Tiagra 50/39/30 170L
Cassette Shimano Tiagra 11-34t
Likes For XPat9:
Old 05-23-19, 02:28 AM
funbun
Doomsled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@XPat9, that's telling. Shame. If the derailleur is defective, they should replace it or at least get you in contact with someone from Microshift to replace it.

If you have to buy it yourself, just look at the specs for the Microshift derailleur in question and buy a Shimano or SRAM replacement at about the same level.

My Microshift front derailleur has been very good, very smooth.

Last edited by funbun; 05-23-19 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-24-19, 09:20 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
The JC-70 has a 30/42/52 crankset, therefore any front derailleur made for a road triple should work. Shimano numbers them and ones rated for triples end with '03' so 4603 is a Tiagra and you can still find NOS 105 derailleurs 6603. Both will work. A mountain front derailleur won't work because it's designed for smaller chainrings, usually 44 teeth; so the profile won't match the outer 52T that you have. So don't look at anything starting with an "M."
Old 05-24-19, 09:22 PM
XPat9

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@BlazingPedals
Thank you for your help!