Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

All Original Unrestored 1972 Paramount in Chrome

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 12:10 PM
AfterThunk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all. I must pass along this 1972 Schwinn Paramount. I am curious to hear forum member’s opinions on value of this bike in the current condition.

This is a full chrome, full Campy, all original, unrestored 24” 1972 P13-9 Schwinn Paramount.

Serial # L72207.

All evidence suggests this is a low miles bike with the original factory tires. The tires are Clement Campionato del Mondo sew ups, which were listed as an upgrade option on the 1972 Paramount order form. Also, this bike came with a Joseph Lucas Cyclometer that displays a total of 303 miles.

All components are original Campagnolo NR, including the brakes/levers, which were also an upgrade option on the order form. Even the brake shoes are Campagnolo. The stem and bars are Cinelli.

I think the bike is in excellent unrestored condition. All decals and stickers are fully intact. The chrome is great. There are specks of very light surface rust throughout the frame, but they come out with simple cleaning/polishing. There is also light surface rust around the bottom bracket. I feel confident surface rust will polish out. The Brooks saddle is supple with some minor scuffs/scratches. There is a scratch/nick in the top of the stem. The brake hoods are rotten/melted.

I have lightly cleaned the frame (with great care around the decals and stickers) just to get it more presentable for pictures. Currently, I plan to leave the bike in this condition for the next owner to restore to their wishes.

Another interesting detail – the tubes are stamped. The downtube seems to have “REYNOLDS” below the lug. And the forks have “BUTTED” below the crown. All stampings are very faint. You may be able to see the stamping on the downtube in one of the pictures.

I have read some of the recent Paramount threads here. So, I believe I have a general idea of the value range. But I am uncertain of how the all-original and unrestored condition would impact the estimates.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 07-17-19, 12:14 PM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
More pictures.

Old 07-17-19, 02:02 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Wow.

The market is a little soft but I would think $1500 all day long on eBay, maybe a little more. If that was a 23" I would be so tempted.
Old 07-17-19, 02:02 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Even if the tires were an option, I don't think they came with the bike.
Same with cycle meter.
Nice saddle!
Nice bike!
Old 07-17-19, 02:18 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Kactus
Wow.

The market is a little soft but I would think $1500 all day long on eBay, maybe a little more. If that was a 23" I would be so tempted.
Yeah the only thing wrong with this bike is that it's not my size!
Old 07-17-19, 02:19 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
Wow, that thing is the mutt's nuts.
Old 07-17-19, 03:34 PM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Even if the tires were an option, I don't think they came with the bike.
Same with cycle meter.
Nice saddle!
Nice bike!
Yeah I am making assumptions since I do not know the history. One of which is that the cyclometer was installed new when the bike was new, which may be a stretch. Could be correct though.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 07-17-19, 03:47 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I'm just saying .... the glue job is sloppy.... so I don't think those tires came with the bike. I've ridden those tires before and I loved them.
I loved the older Brooks Pro saddles.... they where a thicker piece of leather than available today.... and that one looks in really good shape.
Old 07-17-19, 07:05 PM
alexander55

Bikes: Looking for the next one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Beautiful. Based on recent sales I’ve seen, I would think it should bring $1200-1500.
Old 07-17-19, 09:08 PM
Kactus

Originally Posted by trailangel
I'm just saying .... the glue job is sloppy.... so I don't think those tires came with the bike. I've ridden those tires before and I loved them.
I loved the older Brooks Pro saddles.... they where a thicker piece of leather than available today.... and that one looks in really good shape.
They may have been changed by the dealer upon purchase of the bike, it could have been an inexperienced kid working there that put them on. Same with the Cyclo-meter. The chainrings show little use so based on that I think those may have been options along with the Campy brakes, ordered by the original buyer; he certainly was willing to pay for "the best".

Being that these were available options when the bike was purchased and the patina is correct, I don't think it would be dishonest to claim them as original equipment.
Old 07-17-19, 09:23 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Yeah, 1200-1500 seem about right..nice looking BTW.
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 07-18-19, 11:26 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Since you've already gotten some reasonable and serious answere answers... Nothing, people go for subtle these days, just look at all the matte black on black fancy carbon bikes.
Chrome, anti-environment, not something to be proud of these days... Too bad , send it up here, maybe if I repaint it, I'll be able to give it away.

PS Flip that front wheel around before you take any more pics...
Old 07-18-19, 07:49 PM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Since you've already gotten some reasonable and serious answere answers... Nothing, people go for subtle these days, just look at all the matte black on black fancy carbon bikes.
Chrome, anti-environment, not something to be proud of these days... Too bad , send it up here, maybe if I repaint it, I'll be able to give it away.

PS Flip that front wheel around before you take any more pics...
Ahhh. Good point. Maybe I’ll get a few rattle cans and cover up that shameful chrome.

Thanks for the tip on the tire - I had not noticed that detail.
Old 07-18-19, 08:23 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
I would say it original basedon the condition of the nickel chrome no real marks or blemishes or signs of re-polishing. So I suspect as others the that it came with the minor flaws and optional parts changes from the dealer. Not uncommon to see a bit of b plus level work setup on a A plus bike that came out of a Schwinn dealer during the boom era.

Last edited by zukahn1; 07-18-19 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-19-19, 03:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by AfterThunk
Ahhh. Good point. Maybe I’ll get a few rattle cans and cover up that shameful chrome.

Thanks for the tip on the tire - I had not noticed that detail.
Turtle wax chrome cleaner/rust remover, slather it on , let sit, slather again, scrub with brass bristle brush, it will take most of the rust off if you stick with it. Results can be excellent.
Old 07-20-19, 08:30 AM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Turtle wax chrome cleaner/rust remover, slather it on , let sit, slather again, scrub with brass bristle brush, it will take most of the rust off if you stick with it. Results can be excellent.
Great tip. Thanks! Though I am leaning towards letting this bike go out the door as is, I’ll definitely pick up that product for future chrome clean up.
Old 07-20-19, 08:42 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Myself I would do little or nothing with the chrome the near perfect chrome with light petina is a lot of this bikes appeal. IMHO it actual adds a couple of Hundred to the bikes value. On a vintage bike you can fix correct pretty mutch everyhing but nice vintage chrome.
Old 07-20-19, 11:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Myself I would do little or nothing with the chrome the near perfect chrome with light petina is a lot of this bikes appeal. IMHO it actual adds a couple of Hundred to the bikes value. On a vintage bike you can fix correct pretty mutch everyhing but nice vintage chrome.
Chrome on the BB should not be left to worsen, it's going to ruin more if left unchecked. Patina is one thing, cancer is another especially when it comes to chrome.

Last edited by merziac; 07-20-19 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 12:00 AM
Kactus

Chrome on the BB should not be left to worsen, it's going to ruin more if left unchecked. Patina is one thing, cancer is another especially when it comes to chrome.
I agree, personally I never like to leave rust unattended. I think a short soak in oxalic acid (then neutralize with a baking soda rinse) would remove that rust on the bottom bracket easily.
Old 07-21-19, 12:01 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by AfterThunk
Great tip. Thanks! Though I am leaning towards letting this bike go out the door as is, I’ll definitely pick up that product for future chrome clean up.
I would encourage you to do a cursory cleanup on this, especially if you are going for top dollar. There is also a big difference between unrestored with patina and grungy with rust. I would get rid of the disgusting hoods, take the reflectors off the wheels, give it a good wipe down and at least hit the rust with rust remover wipedown to slow it down for now. Most of us here like to do all that ourselves with our own special regimen, but I don't think you'll get top $$$ here. The better it presents, the more you will get on ebay, CL, FB market or whatever and I guarantee even the least savvy buyer is likely to balk at rust.
Old 07-21-19, 12:05 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by Kactus
I agree, personally I never like to leave rust unattended. I think a short soak in oxalic acid (then neutralize with a baking soda rinse) would remove that rust on the bottom bracket easily.

You should have been at Bob's today.

Last edited by merziac; 07-21-19 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-21-19, 09:10 AM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I would encourage you to do a cursory cleanup on this, especially if you are going for top dollar. There is also a big difference between unrestored with patina and grungy with rust. I would get rid of the disgusting hoods, take the reflectors off the wheels, give it a good wipe down and at least hit the rust with rust remover wipedown to slow it down for now. Most of us here like to do all that ourselves with our own special regimen, but I don't think you'll get top $$$ here. The better it presents, the more you will get on ebay, CL, FB market or whatever and I guarantee even the least savvy buyer is likely to balk at rust.
I really appreciate the insights and suggestions. I have been reluctant to do much in case the grimy, all-original condition might be preferred. I think I will follow your guidance to address the rust and make the bike more presentable.
Old 07-23-19, 06:40 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
This looks to be one of the last of Wanda's bikes. Check very carefully about the serial numbers and the matching of them, and then think about what you have. This one of the jewels if I am thinking correctly. Smiles, MH
Old 07-27-19, 09:09 AM
AfterThunk

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, Mad Honk. I had to read up on Wanda - wasn’t familiar with that piece of history. Though I have read here that all 1972 chrome paramounts frames were subbed out to Don Mainland at Pioneer Manufacturing in Racine, WI. But I don’t think there are any markings to confirm where it was actually built.