Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 09-25-18, 02:35 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Received a set of Sturmey Archer cable pulleys today.

They have some... patina but roll well. Going to give them a good clean and polish and probably sell the leftovers on eBay again.

Does anyone know if these can be disassembled safely?
I examined 2 spare pulleys and the screws seem to be captive screws. I suppose you could force them out, but then you would need to devise a way to keep the screw from backing out upon reassembly. Locktite perhaps?
Old 09-25-18, 02:55 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

25 bikes, $25 each

Easton, MD https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...706075572.html
Old 09-25-18, 03:05 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
The Philips twins look like a couple of nice bikes -- probably made during the TI era, my wag. A couple of Schwinns, look like Breeze. "They Call Me the Breeze." JJCale, one of the best tunes ever.
Those 3-speed Schwinns don't get a lot of love, but they're not bad bikes for what they are. If you can tolerate having an Ashtabula crank in the inventory. We had one for a while but I refurbed it (though it didn't need much) and gave it to our neighbor.
Old 09-25-18, 03:32 PM
dweenk

Originally Posted by desconhecido
The Philips twins look like a couple of nice bikes -- probably made during the TI era, my wag. A couple of Schwinns, look like Breeze. "They Call Me the Breeze." JJCale, one of the best tunes ever.
Those 3-speed Schwinns don't get a lot of love, but they're not bad bikes for what they are. If you can tolerate having an Ashtabula crank in the inventory. We had one for a while but I refurbed it (though it didn't need much) and gave it to our neighbor.
I called the seller this afternoon and offered to buy the men's Phillips, but he really wants to sell them as a package. His price was not so nice on a one by one basis; but this area is a bad market for selling old bikes, so I asked him to call me if things do not work out.
Old 09-25-18, 10:59 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
Im thinking about getting new bars for my Raleigh, I feel as thought the current North Roads are a bit to narrow for me. I have some NITTO Albatross bars on my Specialized Streetstomper, I love the feel of those bars but feel those will be to wide for a Raleigh 3 speed. My question is are the NITTO North Roads the same size and width as the current North Roads that come on a Raleigh 3 speed?

Does anyone have any experience with these bars? Thanx for the help!

NITTO B302AA

NITTO B347AA

NITTO B483AA
Old 09-26-18, 02:46 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I examined 2 spare pulleys and the screws seem to be captive screws. I suppose you could force them out, but then you would need to devise a way to keep the screw from backing out upon reassembly. Locktite perhaps?
The bolt that acts as the axle for the pulley has a length of thread that bottoms out and tightens before the shoulder of bolt head presses on the pulley. That way it can be sufficiently tightened without jamming the pulley. No glue needed.
Old 09-26-18, 03:01 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesj
Im thinking about getting new bars for my Raleigh, I feel as thought the current North Roads are a bit to narrow for me. I have some NITTO Albatross bars on my Specialized Streetstomper, I love the feel of those bars but feel those will be to wide for a Raleigh 3 speed. My question is are the NITTO North Roads the same size and width as the current North Roads that come on a Raleigh 3 speed?

NITTO B302AA

NITTO B347AA

NITTO B483AA
You will need to change the stem to fit the 25.4mm bars. That wouldn't be a problem. Any 22.2mm stem will fit the fork tube. There's plenty of 22.2mm stems with 25.4 bar clamps to choose from. The cables might be too short after you change the position of the handlebar, so custom length cables may be necessary. Also, I have never tried to fit Raleigh 15/16" brake levers on 1" bars. That might be a problem, don't know for sure. Might have to replace those too. Maybe somebody here would have experience with this.
Old 09-26-18, 07:05 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts

NITTO B302AA

NITTO B347AA

NITTO B483AA
Nittos are nice, but quite pricey. I've found an alternative that I use on all my North Roads type builds, and they are half the cost of Nittos.

They are called "Action Porteur": Action Porteurs from Harris Cyclery

Mounted right-side-up.
- OR -

Up-side-down

And they look great on a Scorcher!

My latest project: Pashley single-speed path racer - will eventually get a 3- or 5-speed drum-brake SA rear hub. Maybe this winter?

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 09-26-18, 11:33 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 115 Posts

NITTO B302AA

NITTO B347AA

NITTO B483AA
I've got the B302 version on my bike. I had the stock brake levers for a while but eventually replaced them with Weinmann brake levers like these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wei...item361ba88ac0

You'll also have to change out the stem as mentioned- the Nitto 'Dirt Drop' stem works well as it allows the headlight to stay in place if you have one.
Old 09-26-18, 05:30 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by DQRider
Nittos are nice, but quite pricey. I've found an alternative that I use on all my North Roads type builds, and they are half the cost of Nittos.

Mounted right-side-up.
- OR -

Up-side-down

And they look great on a Scorcher!

My latest project: Pashley single-speed path racer - will eventually get a 3- or 5-speed drum-brake SA rear hub. Maybe this winter?

Nice! I didn't know about the Pashley. You've got some seriously beautiful bikes. How about a group photo sometime?
Old 09-26-18, 07:13 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Nice! I didn't know about the Pashley. You've got some seriously beautiful bikes. How about a group photo sometime?
That's something I've thought about, but the logistics of getting them all to a suitable location at once have not yet been solved. Still, it IS Autumn, best time of year for that sort of thing. Maybe if I rent one of those pickup trucks from Home Depot?

I didn't feature the Pashley here yet because it is still a single speed. But I've been shamelessly showing it off elsewhere. And the Raysport is undergoing a 650b conversion at the moment. Busy, busy, busy....

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 09-27-18, 07:34 PM
Buellster

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Any suggestions for good tire replacements?
my old dunlap's are about to explode haha
Old 09-27-18, 08:28 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Took the sports out to watch the swifts go in the chimney at chapman elemantary.
Old 09-28-18, 04:52 AM
BigChief 

That is one great looking Sports. Those Dunlops are exactly the type that came on the bike originally. I wonder if they are original. I'm happy with Kenda black walls. I picked them at first because they lacked things like colored logos and reflective strips and so far, I've had no problems with them. Kenda makes this size in gum wall that is perfect for early 60s Sports that came with them originally. Other tires like Continental City Rides are supposed to be more puncture resistant and they may well be, hard to say.
Here's the Harris 590 page.
26 x 1 3/8 inch (590 mm) Bicycle Tires from Harris Cyclery
Old 09-28-18, 07:46 AM
BigChief 

Concerning Dynohubs...Turns out that I'm much more pleased with the Dynohub with LED lights than I thought I'd be. Sometimes I start my day with an early ride while it's still dark. I don't ride on the paved roads in the daytime. At 4 AM I'm all alone out there. I use a headband light. With fresh AAA batteries it lights up the road well enough for the speeds I ride and the LED lights reflect animal eyes far beyond the field of visible light, but it's a tight beam and doesn't light up the road directly in front of me very well. The Dyno light fills this spot perfectly. It shines a nice wide beam up close. The two lights together work so well that I don't like my other bikes for night riding now. I'm totally sold on Dynohubs and I never thought I'd be. One more misconception out the window.
Old 09-28-18, 12:14 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
So I've found what this seller claims to be a 1950s model of a dunlet. I cant tell what parts of the paint are dull from age or rust.
the hub is a brand new one but most else looks original.
seller asking $150
but it's been on for awhile so I could try and get 100 maybe.
questions for the experts.
what size does this looks to be? I'm hoping 24"
what condition would you say it's in?
Is it worth $100?
edit:
forgot the pictures haha

Old 09-28-18, 12:16 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
@BigChief
thanks for the suggestion!
those look like a perfect replacement.
I do believe they are the originals. I got the bike from a store owner who used it as a window dressing after buying from a widow. Her husband brought it over from england and stored it in a barn.
Old 09-28-18, 12:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
@BigChief, I haven't used a Sturmey-Archer Dynohub, but I've been using dynamo hubs since 2013, and I love them. I know the drag is measurable, but it is imperceptible to me. When I hit 20 mph, I feel vibration, but I don't perceive it to be slowing me down.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-28-18, 01:56 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,031 Times in 1,245 Posts
Originally Posted by Buellster
So I've found what this seller claims to be a 1950s model of a dunlet. I cant tell what parts of the paint are dull from age or rust.
the hub is a brand new one but most else looks original.
seller asking $150
but it's been on for awhile so I could try and get 100 maybe.
questions for the experts.
what size does this looks to be? I'm hoping 24"
what condition would you say it's in?
Is it worth $100?
edit:
f
That bikes been messed with big time. The clamp shifter braze on makes me think it was a late 50's derailleur model with a Benelux gear and possible 27" wheels, hence the larger frame. The frame's the only original part and that's maybe worth $40 imo.
Old 09-28-18, 02:44 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider

My Cheap inexpensive option is the Wald 8095 touring bars for $15 on Amazon -1"(25.4mm) clamp, 2.5" rise, 23.75" wide
Old 09-28-18, 03:20 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
That bikes been messed with big time. The clamp shifter braze on makes me think it was a late 50's derailleur model with a Benelux gear and possible 27" wheels, hence the larger frame. The frame's the only original part and that's maybe worth $40 imo.
Yeah, it's hard to find any love in my heart for that one and I'm pretty much a sucker for a lost cause.
Old 09-28-18, 03:44 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Originally Posted by desconhecido
Yeah, it's hard to find any love in my heart for that one and I'm pretty much a sucker for a lost cause.
that's pretty much where I've been at. It's been up for awhile and I keep scrolling past. I thought is throw it up here and make sure I'm not passing on anything of value. Real shame, I bet it was a beauty in its prime.
Old 09-29-18, 06:28 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Concerning Dynohubs...Turns out that I'm much more pleased with the Dynohub with LED lights than I thought I'd be. Sometimes I start my day with an early ride while it's still dark. I don't ride on the paved roads in the daytime. At 4 AM I'm all alone out there. I use a headband light. With fresh AAA batteries it lights up the road well enough for the speeds I ride and the LED lights reflect animal eyes far beyond the field of visible light, but it's a tight beam and doesn't light up the road directly in front of me very well. The Dyno light fills this spot perfectly. It shines a nice wide beam up close. The two lights together work so well that I don't like my other bikes for night riding now. I'm totally sold on Dynohubs and I never thought I'd be. One more misconception out the window.
i was wondering how you were getting on with it. I notice you haven't said anything about them flickering, did you make one of the circuits or are you just riding really fast?
Old 09-29-18, 07:17 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
i was wondering how you were getting on with it. I notice you haven't said anything about them flickering, did you make one of the circuits or are you just riding really fast?
I didn't add that capacitor to the circuit, but it sounds like a good idea. I never planned on actually using the system. Since it was there and original to the bike I just wanted to make it operational. It does flicker. It's a rather psychedelic experience walking the bike up steep spots in the dark, but it does even out a lot after you get to 10mph or so. I might add that cap someday since I now find the lights so useful. Thanks for your help with my first time Dyno wiring. Between my friends here and RJ the bike guy's video, I've added a successful Dyno restoration to my old English roadster creds.
Old 09-29-18, 05:24 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
So remember those old Rudges I was looking at? Well he posted a clearer picture of one of them and it looks to be in much better shape than the one originally pictured.
I'll be taking a look at them tomorrow to see for sure. I can already tell they are likley too small for me, (he doesnt know size and I'm terrible at telling from a photo) but I cant help at least seeing them anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.